Chapter 6

Days With You

Suinn dropped Sooyoung off at her apartment after they eat beef bone soup and went to get drinks with his friends. He was going to meet Sangyoon and Minho at a nearby bar to catch up. Lee Sangyoon, the former captain of the basketball club now worked as the head of VIP relations at a famous department store, and Choi Minho, his friend from high school worked at his father soccer academy.

“There he comes”, when he arrived, Sangyoon and Minho were already there. Those two knew each other because of Suinn frequently brought Sangyoon along when he went to have a drink with Minho.

 “Where is our Sooyoung-ie?” Sangyoon asked as Suinn sat in front of him.

“Just dropped her off—I won’t let her drink with you two drunkards, she has to go to work early tomorrow,”

“Ya, ya, by the way, have you heard about Yook Seungjae?” said Minho after chugging one glass of beer.

Suinn haven’t heard that name for a long time. “What about him?” he asked.

“His sister passed away a few months ago, and he… how do I say this? Kind of being disoriented? He didn’t come to work for almost 2 weeks without notice,” he said.

Suinn and Sangyoon went silence. “Aigoo… what should we do? How about his family?” asked Sangyoon. Suinn couldn’t say anything.

“And you know the worst part? He broke up with Seolhyun not long before his sister passed away. His family tried to console him in any way possible and they give up so he’s going to see a psychologist,”

There was another silence. Suinn felt bad for him, he didn’t know this guy but he sure went through a lot of things.

“Ya, you’re just like Eunwoo, you know everything.” said Sangyoon finally.

“My friend Taehyung told me, he’s Seungjae friend in college,” Minho answered.

Suinn forced a smile. He felt bad, and a little bit uneasy. That guy from Sooyoung’s past suddenly made a comeback. He was afraid how Sooyoung will react if she knew this, or worst, he coincidentally being taken to her clinic. Her clinic was quite well known, and she may run into him. It was so unlike him to overthink like this, but he was actually worried. Sooyoung did a good job these past years to forget Seungjae but still hate it whenever someone accidentally said his name in front of her. For her, her memories with Seungjae were too painful because what she thought was real means nothing to him.

“Do you know where he is going to see the psychologist?” he asked.

Minho went silence before answering him. “I don’t know. Why, do you think he might be going to clinic where Sooyoung work?”

Suinn nodded.

“Come on, Suinn-ah. There are plenty of psychology clinics around here, and Sooyoung specialized in children, right? The chance of meeting him is very low,” Sangyoon told him.

“True. But if you are that concerned, I can ask Taehyung maybe he knows where Seungjae might go,” Minho said.

“Ya, there’s no need to do that. Let’s just drink!” Suinn raised his glass and laughed, but deep inside he still concerned.

He arrived back home at 11.30pm—he felt tired after practicing so he excused himself from those two. He decided to text Sooyoung.

‘Hi, I’m back home. You still awake?’ he took a bath while waiting for her response.

‘Hi. Yes, I still have work left’ she replied after 30 minutes.

He called her immediately. “Hi there, I thought your work is not that much?”

“I have to review some charts,” she replied, her voice sounded tired.

“I told you to go home instead watching me practice,” he said.

“No, it’s okay. You know I love watching you play. By the way, don’t forget we’re going to have lunch with Seungwan unnie tomorrow.”

“Yes, I’ll pick you up at 12,”

“Okay, then. Get some sleep, oppa. I’ll go to sleep after I finish this,” she said.

“Sooyoung-ah? Do you want me to accompany you to work tomorrow?” he suddenly asked.

“Why? Tomorrow’s Saturday, oppa. You should sleep in.” she answered in a confused tone.

“Your shift is only three hours, right? I can wait for you there and then we off to see Seungwan-ssi,” he said.

“You don’t need to, oppa. I’ll see you tomorrow at 12. Go to sleep now, I need to do my work.” she laughed.

He sighed. “Okay then. Love you,”

“Love you,”

 

--

Sooyoung cursed when her alarm rang. She hated substituting her fellow psychologist on a Saturday because she’s on her maternity leave, but she didn’t have a choice.

“Good morning,” the nurses greeted her when she arrived at the clinic. She smiled and went straight to her room.

“Sooyoung-ssi, Lee Woojoo, Kang Pilgu and Cho Seowoo are scheduled for session at 09.00, 9.30, and 10.00 today.” Nurse Shin briefed her.

“Okay, any other schedule?” asked her.

“Hm, there’s nothing so far. But maybe Doyoung-ssi might want you to help him covering for one of Dr. Jung’s patients. Dr. Jung have a cold this morning,” answered Nurse Shin while looking at the schedule board.

“Dr. Jung is absent today?” she asked in disbelief. She already substituted for her friend, and now she has to cover Dr. Jung’s patients. Nurse Shin nodded, and leave the room. She sighed.

“What’s with the sigh?” Kim Doyoung suddenly barged into her room and put a cup of coffee on her desk.

“You’re the best. Thank you. So how many of Dr. Jung’s patients I must cover today?” asked her as she sipped her coffee.

“Hm, let’s see. There are only three scheduled patients, I’ll cover two. Where else can you find a very kind friend like me?” said Doyoung proudly. She chuckled.

“As always, you’re the best, Kim Doyoung. So how about the other one? Brief me,” asked her.

“A 26-year-old man. He has severe depression, his little sister passed away a few months ago. Poor guy, he hadn’t come to work for 2 weeks,”

“Oh my. He must be so broken hearted. So this is his first session, right? What’s his name?”

“Yes. His name is Seungjae. Yook Seungjae.” answered Dooyoung.

Sooyoung froze. She suddenly felt dizzy. “….who?”

“Yook Seungjae.”