Chapter 4

Days With You

“I feel great, Sooyoung-ah. Your sisters and Junmyeon hyung are very kind,” Suinn and Sooyoung were on their way to Sooyoung’s apartment.

She smiled. “They are kind. You haven’t meet Seungwan unnie, she’s the kindest of us all.”

“The one who bought the flight ticket for today instead of yesterday?” he chuckled. “Let’s arrange the meeting with her soon,” Sooyoung nodded and leaned on Suinn who was driving.

She never been happier than this. She finally has someone she cared for more than anything and someone who cared for her. She finally can talk freely with that person about herself, about her family, her past stories, her concerns, everything. And she was more than glad that Suinn did exactly the same. He engaged her in everything happened in his life, and she is more that glad to be included.

Her favorite activity was watching him practice. He sometimes practiced twice a week by himself after work, or with some of his friends. He always asked if she wanted to come along, because he wanted to have a meal together with her afterward, and she never said no.

--

“You sure? I’ll be practicing for 2 hours, and you’ll be alone here—won’t you be bored?” he asked her to watch him practice for the first time since they became a couple.

“I won’t, I’ll be watching you or doing my assignments here. Besides, you asked me to, right?” she smiled.

“Yes, I want you to stay and have dinner with you after this, if you want to.”

She only nodded. “You know; I love watching you play. I’ll always be here, just like the old days.”

He smiled, ruffled her hair and off to the basketball court.  

--

After dinner, Suinn went home and Sooyoung promised to go to bed early, but she couldn’t sleep. She was too happy and she suddenly lost in thoughts how she and Suinn became together like this.

She remembered when her relationship with Seungjae come to an end, she became so busy in the basketball hall. By being the manager of the club, she managed to slowly forget all her memories with Seungjae. She remembered how she analyze the boys to help them train better; Sangyoon oppa the captain who must workout harder in order to keep his stamina, Taeseon oppa who must practice dribble more, Eunwoo who must not around carelessly, and Moon Suinn who didn’t lack anything.

As if Suinn was born to play basketball. He shone the brightest in the hall—he scored the most, he run the fastest, he is the best one. She didn’t know why, with that talent, he always seemed intimidated by the coach and the others. He wasn’t confident enough, he never delivered his opinion whenever the group had a meeting. And that’s bothering Sooyoung.

--

March, 2016

Sooyoung and Suinn prepare the equipment together. It became Suinn’s habit to run immediately from his class to the hall just to help Sooyoung. At first, Sooyoung felt uncomfortable, and didn’t want to think the wrong way. But as time goes by, she found herself waiting for Suinn to help her, and looked forward to have a small chat with him before the others came.

Today, she thought, she decided to talk about Suinn about his personality. They sat together in the middle of the hall as they always did.

“Oppa, you know my job is to analyze you guys, right? I found something interesting of you,” she started.

“Really? What is it?” he came closer. Sooyoung swore under her breath. He didn’t need to come this close, she might think the wrong way.

“—Well, I think you just can keep up the good work, I mean you didn’t have anything specific to improve. But I think you lack confidence, oppa,”

She couldn’t read his face. “My confidence? What about it?” he asked.

“You looked unconfident whenever you stole or shoot the ball. You never deliver your opinion whenever we have a team meeting, even Cha Eunwoo that brat was always talking. It seems like you were afraid your action may hurt or made others uncomfortable. But you are brilliant, Moon Suinn. Even Coach Janghoon acknowledged you as his best player. With that talent, I think you could be in the national team,” she said.

Suinn froze. He looked at the girl in front of him. How is it everything she said was true? It’s only two months since she came to the hall, but she can figure him out immediately.

“Oppa, what’s wrong?” Sooyoung broke the silence.

“Nothing, you—you’re right, Sooyoung-ie. I must work harder to increase my confidence.” he smiled.

“Anything I can do to help that?”

“Maybe you could listen to me?” Suinn cursed himself. Why would she want to hear his story?

“I’m all ears,” she smiled.

Suinn didn’t know how and why, but he felt the urge to tell everything to this girl. He wanted to tell her that basketball was his air, and somehow his family wanted to take it away from him. He wanted to tell her how frustrated he was when his aunt forbids him to enter the national team when he fit the qualification and only need a couple of tests before officially being the member of national team.

He wanted to tell her how his aunt had said basketball won’t bring him any money, and being in the national team won’t help. She told him numerous time that he’s an unlucky kid—his mother and father died in a car accident on their way to watch his match in the first year of high school, and her aunt took care of him since. She always told him he’s not worthy for anything unless he studies well and earned a lot of money. And she thought he can’t earn money by playing basketball.

He wanted to tell her how he became unconfident since his aunt always belittled him. He knew his aunt hated him and basketball because her brother died while on the way to see him play. He was so angry at his aunt once so he dribbled basketball alone in the balcony and accidentally hit an elderly woman who lived under their unit—and his aunt had to cover huge amount of hospital bills because the injury was severe.

He wanted to tell her how his aunt scolded him to no end, and said he only bring disaster all her life. She threw away his basketball— a precious gift from his father after the accident and called the committee of the national basketball team to inform that he cancelled his application. She said he better study well and got a decent job to repay her.

He wanted to tell her everything.

“Really?” he was surprised. She only nodded.

“But you have to tell me your stories too. It’s not fair for me.” he smirked.

“Ya—you’re the one who wanted me to hear you out, why suddenly I have to tell you my story?” she panicked.

“Never mind, then. I guess you don’t want me to improve my confidence, do you?”

“Really, you are one sneaky guy. Alright, but you have to promise me to keep everything just between the two of us,” she said.

He smiled. “Just the two of us. Interesting. Alright,”

She blushed. “So what do you want to tell me?”

“How about I tell you over udon after we finished? I have a regular udon place not far from here.”

She can only nod. She had hoped he didn’t see her grinning so widely.