Chapter 7

Days With You

Sooyoung couldn’t believe her eyes. The guy who just walked into her room was the guy she met years ago. She used to know him very well before he betrayed her; the funny and easygoing Yook Seungjae. His eyes used to be so bright and cheerful, but now those eyes were dim and focused on the floor. He was accompanied by his mother.

“Hello, Sooyoung-ah, do you remember me? I’m really glad to know you’re going to treat my son. Please, can you just do the rest of his sessions?” his mother grabbed her hands. Sooyoung knew his mother years ago. She was kind and softhearted.

“Hello, ahjumma,” she felt uncomfortable with her sudden touch, but managed to smile. “I’m sorry, I’m just covering my senior’s patients today. He’ll be having his next session with Dr. Jung,” she explained.

“Sooyoung-ah, can you just do it? Please?” Seungjae’s mom pledged.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, ahjumma. I have patients on my own. Besides, I’m specializing in children growth and today I’ll only ask him a few questions before further treatment next week.”

Her mother slowly nodded and sat down next to his son, who hadn’t talk a bit since they entered Sooyoung’s room.

“Now please wait outside, I’m going to start the session.” Nurse Shin escorted Seungjae’s mother, and there was only her and him in that room. He was still looking at the floor.

“Seungjae-ssi? Do you know who I am?” she started. She sat in front of him with her notes.

Yook Seungjae finally lifted his head, and they made an eye contact for the first time. Those once bright and cheerful eyes were full of sorrow now. “Sooyoung-ie?”

“You remember. That’s good. Now, can you tell me about you?” asked her.

He sighed. “I’m okay. I don’t need this session.”

“Not going to work for two weeks without notice, refused to eat, didn’t leave your room. Are those what you called ‘okay’? You’re not okay, Yook Seungjae, and being not okay is not weak, is not a crime. It’s all human, and I’m here to help. So, tell me about yourself and what have been bothering you.”

She sounded firm and convincing. He went silent for a while before telling her what he felt. His eyes locked to the floor all the time.

Sometimes being professional is not easy, she thought to herself. She tried so hard to hold back her tears seeing him crying his heart out when he told her how that evening a truck hit his sister right in front of him.

--

Suinn arrived 30 minutes earlier to grab the famous iced coffee right next to Sooyoung’s clinic. He waited at the clinic’s waiting room and greeted the familiar faces.

“Suinn-ssi, you’re here. Sooyoung-ssi will be finished in 15 minutes,” Nurse Shin greeted him.

“Thank you,” he smiled.

There is only one person with him in the waiting room; a middle aged woman with a worried face. She kept sighing and looked uncomfortable.

5 minutes later, Sooyoung exited her room. Suinn immediately stood up and walked to her, but the middle-aged woman run to her first.

“How is he, Sooyoung-ah?” asked the woman worriedly. Sooyoung-ah? This woman must know Sooyoung.

“I’ve been listening and taking notes. Don’t worry, ahjumma, he’ll be fine. We’ll schedule a treatment next week,” replied her. Sooyoung saw Suinn and mouthed ‘wait a minute’.

Suinn nodded. As he went back to sit on the couch, a guy exited Sooyoung’s room.

He couldn’t believe his eyes. It’s Yook Seungjae. It’s the same Yook Seungjae he knew all these years from Sooyoung’s stories. He looked limp and terrible. He immediately stared at Sooyoung, but she was talking to— he figured it out by himself— Seungjae’s mother. It’s creepy how everything he’s been thinking inside his head all night were actually happening right now.

“Can you just do his treatments? Please, Sooyoung-ah?” Seungjae’s mother begged her.

“I’m sorry but I’ve told you I can’t do that, ahjumma. He’s quite stable, just don’t forget to make him eat on time. Nurse Shin has scheduled his next appointment with Dr. Jung. Don’t worry too much, ahjumma.” she smiled. Suinn was very proud of her professionalism. She kept herself calm just like how she treated her other patients.

Seungjae didn’t say anything. They finally excused themselves. Sooyoung sighed and went to sit next to Suinn— she immediately hugged him.

“Good work, Sooyoung-ah. I’m all ears,” he patted her head.

“I hated him but I pitied him now. I don’t know, it’s strange,” she hugged him tighter. Suinn her back.

“What is this I’m seeing? Ya, Park Sooyoung, this is not your home!” Kim Dooyoung appeared at the waiting room. They didn’t break the hug.

“Shut up, Kim Dooyoung. I felt really terrible because of you,” she scolded him.

“Me? Why? What did I do?”

--

On their way to meet Seungwan, Sooyoung hardly talked. She just holds Suinn’s right hand tightly on her lap.

“You okay? Should we tell Seungwan-ssi you’re not feeling well and we’ll meet up tomorrow?” asked him.

She shook her head. “I’m fine— just a little bit overwhelmed. Lunch with Seungwan unnie and spending the rest of the day with you will make me better,” answered her.

“Unnie!” Sooyoung greeted Seungwan who was already at the restaurant with her husband Mark. They just went back from their honeymoon in Los Angeles. They hugged each other tightly.

Suinn greeted Seungwan and Mark Tuan. “Hi, Mark. Looking good,” he .

“Unnie, where is my cookies? I’ve been craving them since forever!” asked Sooyoung. Seungwan brought the shopping bag to the table and take out the cookies.

They ate and chatted, but Sooyoung’s mind went blank. Her brain just can’t process what just happened—the man she hated all these years suddenly showed up and became a miserable poor guy. She hated him still, but he also pitied him, and wanted him to get better as a psychologist.

“What’s wrong, Sooyoung-ah?” Seungwan asked her. Suinn looked at her worriedly.

“Nothing, unnie. I think I’m just a little bit tired after the morning shift. I’ll go wash my face real quick.” she left the table. Seungwan and Mark were confused.

Seungwan knew better than anyone else, Sooyoung was not tired—something must’ve been on her mind.

“What’s wrong with her, Suinn-ah?” asked Mark. Seungwan looked at him.

“How do I say this— you remember Yook Seungjae?” Suinn started explaining. Seungwan tensed, but nodded.

“He was taken to her clinic because of severe depression, and she was in charge of his session today. She’s a little bit overwhelmed now,”

“She what?” asked Seungwan in disbelief. He can’t imagine Sooyoung treated he guy she hates the most in the world.

“Suinn-ssi, after she’s back, bring her home and console her. I bet she’s feeling really awful right now,” Seungwan continued. Both Suinn and Mark agreed and nodded.