The Date

The Angel Who Saved Her Heart

 

“So, you are Shin Hye eonni. Nice meeting you! I’m Kang Min Hyuk, I play the drums for the band. They are the Lee brothers, the burning-eyed Jong Hyun and the girly-like Jung Shin.”

“Ya Min Hyuk! Why did you introduce me like that! Aish! Our hyung really has great taste when it comes to girls.” Jung Shin can’t stand Min Hyuk for describing her as a girl, but never forgetting to compliment Shin Hye.

“Oh. Nice meeting you too.” She said timidly.

“We have to go now, Yong Hwa. I mean Min Hyuk, Jung Shin and I. We still have to practice for the upcoming release of our album. Enjoy!” Jong Hyun winks at him.

“Ani. It’s ok if Yong Hwa will come with you.”

“Shirro! We’ll give you quality time to be with each other. We’ll go first. Yong Hwa-hyung, take her home safely.”

“Arasseo. Drive safely.”

“Take care.”

And the soon-to-be-couple bid the three boys goodbye.

“If wishes do come true I'd be having dinner with you tonight.”

She just smiled and nodded. She felt guilty for making him wait for two hours. He took her to a fancy restaurant so that there will only be few people around. The waiter approached them with courtesy.

“I’ll have Pan Fried Cream Dory w/ Lemon Butter Sauce. How about you Shin Hye-ya?”

“Fish Fillet with Creamy Yoghurt dip for me.”

They both eat silently, but the two are watching each other’s move in their periphery. Finally, Shin Hye decided to break the ice.

“Is there something bothering you? You must be thinking of so many things.”

Yong Hwa looked at her with wrinkling brows.

“Wae? Are you that many? Besides you’re not bothering me. You never will.”

And they laughed. After all, the only way to make her feel comfortable is through those mushy pick-up lines. Shin Hye then challenged Yong Hwa in a battle of pick-up lines.

“Huh! It’s a game then. The one who runs put of pick-up lines will have to accept a punishment.”

“Deal.”

“I couldn't pay attention in school today because I couldn't stop thinking about you.”

“Huh! Nice try Shin Hye but I won’t buy that. Here’s mine.”

“If I were to rate you right now, you’d be a 9… 10 if you are with me! Haha!”

“What was that?!” Shin Hye said with poker face.

“You have something in your eye. Nope. It’s just a sparkle...

“I tricked you Yong Hwa!”

Yong Hwa gets his SLR from his bag and started taking pictures of her.

“Ya! What are you doing?!”

“Can I take a picture of you? So I can show Santa exactly what I want for Christmas!”

They went out of the restaurant laughing.

“Pinch me Yong Hwa, ya!”

“Wae?”

“You’re so fine I must be dreaming.”

“You got me there Shin Hye. Too bad I can’t think of anymore lines.”

Shin Hye started to rejoice but then Yong Hwa suddenly said,

“Cause all I can think of right now is you.”

“Ya! I thought I’ve won! Aish! You’re a bad boy Yong Hwa. Go to MY room!”

He gave her a look of disbelief. He crossed his hands to his chest.

“Shin Hye-ya! Don’t do that! I’m still innocent. You’re such a naughty girl!”

“Ya! I’m just kidding! We are on a contest right? That one is just a line.”

“Ani. I can already see your true colors.”

And he started teasing her. She felt really embarrassed. He gently rubbed her back and said,

“I thought angels have wings.”

“Ani. You are the angel.” Shin Hye said carelessly.

“Mwo?”

“Uhmm. Nothing!”

It was too late for her to say that. He already knew she is trying to say something.

“It’s just that… I remembered Yu Mi telling me that you and your friends are like angels—God’s gift to us girls.”

“Jinja? Geureom, am I an angel to you?”

She let out a sigh before she could answer.

“Yeah, she’s right. You even saved me twice. The first was when I was about to fall because I’m drunk. The other one was when Geun Seuk insulted me. Gamsahamnida.”

“Anything for you.”

Yong Hwa suddenly thought of something.

“I suppose that one isn’t a pick-up line. Time for your punishment!” Yong Hwa said with a wide grin.

“Mwo?”

“Could you hold this for a while while we walk?”

He then slipped his hand on hers. She didn’t object.

“Why does everything feel so right?” She thought and smiled to herself.

When they reached her home, he still didn’t stop teasing her.

“I’m invisible.”

“Mwo?”

“Can you see me?” waving his hands on her face.

“Ne. Wae?” She doesn’t have any idea of what he is trying to do.

“How about another date tomorrow?”

“Aish! Another line! I thought we’re done playing.”

“You just have to answer my question.”

“Ara. Where will we meet?”

“I’ll come pick you up after school.”

“Ok.”

“Goodnight Shin Hye-ya.”

“Goodnight Yong. Drive safely.”

And it’s her turn to give him a soft kiss in his cheek.

He blushed.

“Is this a habit of yours, blushing?” Shin Hye threw back the line he used earlier.

“I can't wait until tomorrow. Haii... Somehow you get prettier every day.”

And bid each other goodbye.