Chapter 7

Free Delivery!

His doorbell rings.  

 

“Jongin, do you have any visitors?” Junmyeon asks curiously.

 

Jongin furrows his brows, thinking hard if he does have a visitor, he can only think of Baekhyun but he doesn’t like to visit early in the morning unless he’s taking him to work. “Uhm, no?” 

 

“Jeez, why are you not sure. Just stay there, I’ll check it.” 

 

“Hyung, I was sick yesterday. That was yesterday! I can stand on my own, you know.” He shouts to his brother who’s walking towards the door. 

 

Junmyeon comes back with a lovely bouquet of blue hyacinths in his hands. Its blue color bursts in full bloom that matches its green stem, which is wrapped in a light blue ribbon with a tag on its end. “Who sent you this?” 

 

Jongin immediately swallows the spoonful of pancake in his mouth to run to his brother who’s checking the tag. 

 

“Hyung, Don’t!”  

 

His brother hums, showing him what’s written on the tag. “It just says ‘From S’ in beautiful handwritten calligraphy.” He avoids the questioning stare from his brother. “Who is this S?”

 

“I d-don’t know… Now gimme that.” Jongin successfully snatches the bouquet from his brother’s hand since he’s taller than him. 

 

“You know hyung, why don’t you go to work now, so I can rest and savor my sick leave in peace.” He pushes his brother towards the door. “I heard your phone vibrate multiple times, Ooooh looks like they’re looking for you.” 

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll leave, just let me get my bag.” Jongin smiles in victory when his brother puts his hands up. 

 

“Are you sure you’re not nauseous anymore?”  

 

“N-no, not anymore.” He shakes his head quickly. “Now go, thank you for taking care of me!” 

 

With bags in Junmyeon’s hands, he shouts to Jongin from the driveway. “Don’t you think I will not ask about that mystery flower sender of yours!” 

 

Jongin rolls his eyes and waves his hand dismissively.  

 

When his brother leaves, Jongin sits on his couch, sighing dreamily. He examines the ‘S’ written on the tag. He wonders how the hell did Sehun know that Blue hyacinth practically means ‘I’m sorry’, its deep blue color that symbolizes sincerity.  

 

He carefully presses the flowers in his chest as he falls down on the heaps of pillows on his couch. At this point, even if he didn’t get to hear his explanation since he fainted–He might have forgiven the charming doctor already. Jongin snorts at the thought, putting his hand on his belly. He’s too easy to console. “Is my little bean affecting my decisions? Or is it just my heart speaking.” 

 

Jongin went through hell when he got really upset when Sehun ignored him after he dared to accuse him of playing his feelings, no way! That whole weekend, he couldn’t properly eat or sleep because of overthinking. He is still curious about why Sehun said that to him? Did he missed something, or is it just some dumb speculation that pictures him as the bad guy. 

 

The next day, Jongin just finished his morning ritual and that includes vomiting whatever he ate last night when his doorbell rings again.  

 

He looks back on his mirror to wipe any traces, grumbling under his breath to see who’s behind the door. 

 

The delivery guy gives him a wide smile when he hands Jongin a bouquet of variegated tulips, its pigment looks magnificent under the shine of the morning sunlight. 

 

“Hi, Can I ask who sent this?” He only asks the man in front of him to confirm his hunch but it’s not like he is totally doubting since he’s the only man with a name that starts from the letter ‘S’ that he likes.  

 

“Sorry Sir, that is classified information.” Jongin slowly nods his head while signing his signature on the form that the man gave him. 

 

“But he firmly instructed our company to deliver it to you in the morning.” 

 

Why in the morning though? He furrows his brows in confusion. 

 

 

An4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.png

 

 

He places the tulips inside a spare wide mouth wine bottle and arranges it thoroughly. His only flower vase already has the blue hyacinths inside it that sit in the middle of his dining table. 

 

Jongin unconsciously smiles as he recalls what tulips symbolize, which means passion and warmth but it has a strikingly different meaning with its colors. The bouquet is dominated by white tulips, which means that he’s still asking for his forgiveness. It has a few yellow ones that represent cheerful thoughts and red that declares romantic intentions paired with love.

 

Coming out of his reverie, he whines when he feels his face going warmer and his beating heart gradually accelerates.

 

“Jongin pull yourself together, you’re acting like he’s your first crush.” He pats his cheeks. Well, it’s true since Sehun is his first crush in his 30s.  

 

If the obstetrician keeps sending Jongin flowers like this, his house is going to be filled with it. 

 

Although he likes Sehun’s gesture, the said man still hasn’t called or even texted him. He has a good guess that it involves his best friend since Baekhyun swears he almost punched Sehun in the face the day he fainted, but Sehun found out his address to send the flowers though, maybe Baek helped him in exchange for something.   

 

For the next three days, he has received a batch of alstroemeria that symbolizes friendship and devotion for someone, it may have a different meaning why Sehun sent it to him, he wonders. Blushing pink carnation on Thursday which is his birth month’s flower and also means admiration for someone. Lastly, an array of bright colored gerbera daisies on Friday. It strikes Jongin that it has white and pink ones on its side, but the center of the bouquet is filled with gorgeous red daisies, it means only one thing–‘Fully immersed in love’. 

 

 

An4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.png

 

 

Dr. Oh, you should stop sending him flowers now. Not that he doesn’t like it. In fact, he can’t stop gushing about it but he’s coming to work back next week.  

 

Well, maybe you can finally talk to him there. Am I right? :3 

 

Don’t contact him yet or else he won’t shut up to me until all the words he wants to say to you will be heard by his bestest friend. You don’t want that right ;) 

 

Sorry, but are you planning something?

 

:0 How dare you to think about me like that! I’m only helping you! 

 

I’m sorry Dr. Byun, It’s just that I’m worried that he’s going to get angry at me for not texting him these past few days.

 

Nah don’t worry, your flowers spoke enough ;) 

 

Thank you Dr. Byun, consider it that you have your table reservation at NNG Saturday next week. 

 

Sehun puts his phone down with a sigh. 

 

“What’s the matter?” Chanyeol asks just before he chugs down a bottle of beer. 

 

“Hey, can you get me a VIP reservation at NNG next Saturday?”

 

Chanyeol put his arms over his shoulders. “Anything for my best buddy! It seems odd though because you usually go there unannounced.” 

 

The obstetrician gives his best friend a stink eye. “Of course, I have the restaurant-owner’s-best-friend-privilege. It’s Dr. Byun, Jongin’s best friend, he’s kinda helping me to make up with him, so he asked me this favor.” He rubs his temple. Every time he’s reminded of his stupidity, he feels really ashamed of it. 

 

His best friend tightens his hold on him. “Man, are you really sure about him?” 

 

“I am still on the stage of getting to know him, but I have a good feeling about this.” 

 

“But you already fuc-.” Sehun shuts Chanyeol by shoving the whole lettuce wrap in his mouth. 

 

Sehun rolls his eyes. “Can you please shut up for once! I’m still stressing over Jongin.”

 

“I don’t know, I kinda feel something is weird with Dr. Kim.” Chanyeol shrugs.

 

 

An4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.png

 

 

“Seohyunnie, my favorite noona! How are you today?”

 

“What do you want Baekhyun?” She looks at him dead in the eye.  

 

Baekhyun laughs, slowly closing the door behind him.

 

“You only visit me when you need something.” She mutters while busying herself in checking hospital forms.  

 

“Come on, I’m your favorite brother in law right? And you’re right, I have a favor to ask.” Seohyun flicks her ballpen to Baekhyun’s face, but the doctor manages to dodge it in reflex. “I’ll babysit my cutest nephew the whole weekend for free, I promise. Please!” 

 

She eyes Baekhyun skeptically. “Then what's it?”  

 

Baekhyun smiles sheepishly. “I’m thinking if you can ask Dr. Oh to take your consultation shift schedule on Saturday instead of others. I know you’re going to leave for a conference slash date with my hyung.” 

 

Seohyun sighs, turning away her head from her paperwork to look at him in disbelief. “Are you planning something to him? I know he likes your best friend, everyone here in this department knows. It’s so obvious.” 

 

Baekhyun squawks. “You do? Oh wow! Don’t worry noona, I’m not going to do anything to him. Instead, you can think of me as his wingman.” He winks while making a cute face to his sister in law. 

 

“Okay, I’ll try to talk to Dr. Oh later.” 

 

“Really?!” Baekhyun jumps in delight, aiming to hug his sister in law but a stress ball bounces on his forehead before he can even squeeze her. 

 

“I won’t hesitate to throw these things on my desk to you if you don’t leave this room right now.” She warns.

 

“Thank you, my favorite noona! Text me if he said yes.” He waves goodbye to her, closing the door gently.  

 

Baekhyun practically skips his way out of ward 14 when Sehun spots him. 

 

The obstetrician clears his throat. “Dr. Byun, what are you doing here?”   

 

“Oh nothing.” Baekhyun suddenly puts his hands on his shoulders, lightly tapping it. “I gotta get going, Dr. Oh. Good luck.” 

 

After that, the doctor springs merrily away from Sehun, who’s standing awkwardly and a bit weirded by him. 

 

Sehun feels the hair on the back of his neck stand. What was that good luck for?

 

 

An4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.pngAn4PCpx.png

 

 

His best friend says “Trust me this, trust me that.” and the oh so gullible Jongin rides with whatever plan Baekhyun has in his mind. 

 

That’s why he finds himself in the obstetrics department of the hospital he works for. It’s about time he needs to get checked, especially when he fainted five days ago due to fatigue, all for the betterment of his little bean. 

 

He thought Baekhyun would accompany him but he ditched him at the last minute reasoning about babysitting duties for his nephew. But he reassures him that he’s scheduled for Baek’s sister in law, a reputable senior obstetrician, he adds a few tips to wear something casual in case some staff might notice him, so there’s nothing to be worried for. 

 

Baekhyun’s comforting words don't convince him that much. He is sitting in the waiting room with a few pregnant people, either accompanied by their spouses, friends, or kids. 

 

Jongin takes a big gulp, eyes fleeting to the woman beside him looks like she’s about to pop, now that's a huge baby or babies in her belly, he isn’t sure. He observes the pale green room some more with several posters about pregnancy and baby care 101. The room starts to get hot, he adjusts his shirt when he feels himself sweating. 

 

“Your first time?” 

 

Jongin jolts when the pregnant woman asks him. “I-uhm… Yes.” He admits, wiping the sweat that is forming under his bangs. 

 

“You remind me of myself when I first came here for a check-up. I was so nervous about what the doctor was going to say about me and my baby.” The woman chuckles as she puts her hand around her belly. 

 

His curiosity gets the better of him as usual when he asks her. “H-how far along are you?” 

 

“Oh this is my last consultation before I give birth I think? They predicted it to happen around 3 weeks' time.” 

 

“Woah, you’re amazing! You’re still full of energy even when your due date is close.” Jongin cannot stop himself from shutting his mouth when he’s in awe of the pregnant woman beside him. 

 

She laughs. “My twins are hard to carry, but they’ve got a tough mom, so no biggie for me.” 

 

A few patients are already getting called swiftly because ward 14 is only open till lunchtime on Saturdays, so consultations are usually quick.

 

“Oh, I think I’m about to be called.” She then suddenly grabs Jongin’s hands, her expression morphs in a gleeful expression. “I know the first time will make you anxious, but I assure you, everything will be better when you see your precious child come out of this world, it will be one of the best things that will happen to your life, I promise you! You just have to be brave for your baby.” Jongin awkwardly nods, internally chanting in his mind repeatedly Be brave, be brave. 

 

Her intuition is right when she gets called by a nurse to proceed to the room, her husband who’s standing in the corner immediately runs to her, supporting her as she walks. 

 

She's a bit weird but so happy that she's about to give birth. Jongin feels a little bit guilty, he wants to be ecstatic like her but he's got a lot in his hands right now. He wishes that he can sort out everything especially with Sehun one day. He's glad that the obstetrician isn't here to see him since he doesn't have any consultations on Saturday. 

 

He twiddles his finger while waiting patiently for his name to be called. He raises his head to look on the wall clock. 30 minutes before it closes for the day, he assumes he might be the last patient Baek's sister in law will see. 

 

This feeling, he has felt this before, his heart beats like it wants to come out of his rib cage. When he gulps, he feels his throat is already dried, and he keeps fidgeting in his seat. He's so nervous that his breathing becomes erratic. Maybe he can whack Baekhyun the next time he sees him for leaving him alone to deal with this or well, maybe he should've told Sehun ever since he found out so that he doesn't have to go through this on his own. 

 

A lot of thoughts are running in his head. He snaps out of it when he hears his name is called. 

 

The nurse points to the room where he should enter, her eyes look at him in familiarity but she couldn't figure it out. He bows his head and immediately walks up to the room to avoid raising suspicion among the others. 

 

Tiptoeing inside the room silently, he settles himself on the seat in front of the desk. His office looks similar to this, he observes. Except that his room is full of cartoon posters that teach kids about hygiene and this one is about mothers and babies. 

 

The doctor behind the curtain appears to be busy checking some hospital forms when he hears the sound of the file cabinet opening and pages turning.

 

Jumping a little when the sound of the file cabinet closes loudly, he mentally prepares himself to explain everything. Jongin only hopes that Dr. Byun Seohyun can take a hint not to ask about his child's father. 

 

In a deep breath, his hands are placed on his thighs as he crosses his fingers. Be brave, be brave for my little bean. 

 

Slowly, the curtain opens. In front of him, Sehun stands in all his white coat glory. His shocked face is equal to Jongin's. The obstetrician's eyes are wide as saucers, jaw hanging when he loses his grip on the pen he is holding. 

 

Jongin is very very screwed. 

 

The pediatrician's mind is blank, like television with no signal but on static. He wants to do something but his body won't cooperate. This is the moment when he realizes that there is no escaping. 

 

Sehun doesn’t break his eye contact on Jongin when he pulls the chair and sits slowly. He feels dizzy, he can't believe that the man he's been pining for weeks is now in front of him–as his patient. 

 

His patient. Does that mean he is… 

 

"Jongin, what are you doing here?" He mutters, his expression goes softer when he notices the pediatrician's eyes get glassy. 

 

"Sehun. I have to tell you something." He moves in his seat, adjusting his posture. 

 

Jongin looks him straight in the eye, and those pool of honey is now full of determination. 

 

His heart races so loud that he can practically hear it pound in his ears. He swallows everything as he patiently waits for Jongin to speak, although he is dying of anticipation. 

 

"I am pregnant and you're the father." 


THE BIG REVEAL! Jongin didn't stutter when he told Sehun because he wants to be brave for his child now 😢 This is by far the longest chapter I've written for this fic, that's why it kinda took long hehe sorry. Thank you for supporting my story!  

Follow me on my new twitter acc @kaiffogato 😙 I mostly a retweet lot of stuffs but we can freely scream with each other! 💖