reconnaissant

éphémère

She takes a long inhale. It’s been sixteen years, and she still isn’t tired of him. Not one ing bit. She presses her nose into his bare skin, smiling lazily when she feels him snuggle closer.

 

And then her peace and quiet are ripped apart. Shredded into oblivion. Her oxygen is knocked right out of her lungs. She coughs, groaning.

 

“Tae! I told you not to ing jump on the bed.” Baekhyun shouts from beside her, clutching his body around her in pain. Haeeun opens her eyes to see her little nine-year-old casually lying on his side on top of the two of them with his 2DS in hand.

 

She rubs at her eyes, peeling herself from her husband. “Good morning, baby boy.”

 

Taeyong beams, propping himself up. She wraps her arms around her son. “Took you long enough,” he huffs.

 

Haeeun’s heart is soft for him. Many people would probably be horrified by how pesky or ill-mannered her son was, but she wanted to raise her children with her own principles.

 

1. Don’t raise your voice at them.

 

2. Make them feel like they can depend on you (she’d fail this one miserably when Soleil ran away).

 

3. Don’t show favoritism.

 

4. Give them the best childhood.

 

Haeeun and Baekhyun didn’t have the greatest childhood growing up. On one hand, Haeeun grew up fending for herself in foster homes until she was adopted by her first mom who had shortly died when she’d turned sixteen. Then, she was ually harassed and by her mom’s boyfriend who’d turned up two years later only to torment her.

 

Then, there was her husband. He’d grown up with money, but like her, his mom passed away as well. He’d ended up cutting off his ties with his father, losing his entire inheritance. On top of that, his father didn’t bother to show up to their wedding when Baekhyun attempted for reconciliation. It’d hurt her to see the pain in Baekhyun’s eyes, but she’d vowed to always be there for him and their kids.

 

Because in the end, Baekhyun chose her as his family. She smiles, puckering her lips and kissing her nine-year-old continuously. He turns his face, annoyed. “Mom! Argh, stop it. Your breath stinks.”

 

Haeeun laughs, ignoring him. “Bae, what time is it?” She asks, half turning.

 

He blinks out of his daze and turns to check their alarm clock on their nightstand. “It’s 11:30,” he answers casually.

 

She gasps, shooting Baekhyun a panicked look. “Oh my ing god! We’re late!”

 

Baekhyun sighs, rubbing his face. “Eun, we’re always late. I think Kyung knows that by now.”

 

Haeeun ignores him, tapping her son’s bottom gently. “Come on, little man. We have to get going now. Brush your teeth for mommy and wake your sister for me, okay?”

 

Taeyong nods distractedly as he hops off her bed. Then, she turns to Baekhyun to glare at him.

 

At age forty-three, he’d aged like fine wine. Baekhyun didn’t look a day past his twenties. When they went out together, he still got lingering looks from people passing by. Haeeun had always felt pride, but lately, it was getting a bit annoying when she waited for him to make some pitstops and he’d show up thirty minutes late because he was too kind to shoo starry-eyed girls away.

 

“Stop turning off my alarms!” She scolds.

 

He scoffs. “Your phone isn’t even in here.”

 

Haeeun rolls her eyes. “Of course it is.”

 

Baekhyun his eyebrows at her. “I’m going to drown you if you don’t find it.” Unfortunately, her husband was very much right. And he was still very much an , but he was hers, and if she’d survived this long, she could do it for an eternity. Haeeun jumps to her feet, avoiding his eyes. “Uh—have you seen my phone?”

 

He shoots her a pointed glare and an I told you so look. Haeeun swallows. If there was one thing she knew about him after all these years, Byun Baekhyun had always kept his word. He follows after her, sprinting behind to catch her as she tries to run away.

 

“I’m sorry!” She shrieks.

 

Baekhyun snatches her by the waist, throwing her over his shoulders. Her center of gravity shifts and she flails.

 

“Put me down, Bae!” She tries again, slapping his back.

 

He only throws her a haughty laugh in return. “Why don’t you make me?”

 

Haeeun groans when he pushes her into their shower and turns on the cold water. She simply resigns, letting the water wake her system up. “Let’s get a divorce,” she proclaims.

 

Baekhyun ignores her and adjusts the water temperature. “Strip,” he tells her.

 

He doesn’t need to tell her. She was already in the process of pulling her soaking tank top off. Her husband whistles appreciatively when she pulls off all of her clothes. She chuckles. “Are you just going to stand there or…?” Haeeun releases a squeal when he catches her by the waist.

 

The sound of his clothes slapping the floor echo in their master bathroom. He grins, capturing her lips in one smooth movement. Haeeun sighs into his mouth. Byun Baekhyun still tastes like sugar and spice and everything nice.

 

 

 

Kyungha jerks away when she feels the sensation of a raspberry on her skin. She hears a mixture of laughter. “What the ?” She snaps, trying to kick him off of her.

 

Sehun chokes on his laughter. “You’re just so cute.”

 

Firstly, if she were like other girls, she’d melt into a million pieces. But this was Kyungha. And she’d valued her sleep over #relationshipgoals.

 

So, Kyungha resorts to kicking him off of her bed. He yelps and she hears the satisfying crash. “It’s too early for me to deal with you,” she grunts, throwing her covers over.

 

Throughout her years of experience (which was none if you didn’t count one night stands), she didn’t expect her to become such a softie.

 

In medical school, she was known for kicking guys out the minute after her s were done. But Sehun, he wasn’t her one-night-stand. He wasn’t a casual hookup. No, the cheeky bastard was her boyfriend and he constantly gave her a run for her own money. Kyungha could never stay pissed at him for more than two minutes without him enacting his charms and winning her over in point-blank seconds.

 

And Kyungha had decided a while ago that he was her best sleeping pill. And so she wouldn’t be kicking him out of her room any time—especially after —because he was also her man. Kyungha inwardly groans. Did that really just leave her thoughts?

 

She couldn’t recognize herself anymore, but if she was going to be honest, she liked her current self. Kyungha noticed the difference in herself after a few days of dating Sehun.

 

If she were to separate into time periods, there was B.S. (aka before Sehun) and A.S. (aka after Sehun).

 

B.S. was just as it sounded. Complete bull. She’d spent more time running from her feelings and hurting both herself and Sehun, rather than actually letting herself live. Then, there was her favorite time period A.S., it was life-changing. Still life-changing, actually.

 

Jongin told her she went from Count Dracula to Edward Cullen. But she couldn’t argue with that. Sehun made her insides liquify and sparkly, so if she’d resembled a sparkly vampire, so be it. She was happy, and frankly, she wouldn’t trade anything if she was offered to go back to B.S.

 

“You’re so abusive, sweetheart,” her boyfriend whimpers, rubbing his injuries. Kyungha closes her eyes, pretending to sleep. He sidles up beside her again, pulling the covers away from her face. “But you’ve been spoiling me by satisfying my personal kink, so I am all appreciation.”

 

She snorts a laugh. . She’d lost again. Kyungha feels him brush his lips on hers, grinning.

 

“You can’t win against me, sweetheart.” Oh, how right he was.

 

Kyungha’s eyes flutter open to see his deep, beautiful brown eyes stare at her. She pushes at his chest. “Your breath stinks.”

 

“Correction, I went down on you, so I could say the same for your—“ His eyes crinkle as he dodges her hands. “I was joking! Stop trying to beat me, woman!”

 

Kyungha laughs haughtily, tangling her legs with his to trap him. Then, she pushes him down on his back. “Oh yeah?”

 

Sehun clears his throat, batting his eyelashes. “On second thought, beat me all you want, baby.”

 

She laughs incredulously, shaking her head. He tilts his chin upward, their lips crashing together. “Ow,” she says through their kiss. “Stop trying to bite me.”

 

“Sweetheart, you should be begging me not to eat you alive. You look immaculate and I am ten seconds from taking you doggy style against your headboard.”

 

She blows a raspberry. “You’re starting to sound like Jongin. And it’s not a compliment.”

 

Sehun waggles his eyebrows. “Damn, sister. You’re kinkier than me. After trans, it’s ? I’ll make sure to remember to include ‘I’ll be your King Tutankhamen if you be mine,' on your Valentine gram.”

 

Kyungha sighs. “Where’s the HR document?”

 

“Why? So you can frame it?” He nudges her with a -eating grin.

 

“No,” she snipes. “So I can tear it, dork.”

 

 

 

“Dad!” Soleil’s voice echoes from her room. Haeeun watches Baekhyun trip over his jeans, loose fly and everything, as he rushes off to his daughter. She snickers. He was so whipped for their daughter.

 

She follows him behind, watching them through the narrow gap of Soleil’s door.

 

“How do I look?” Soleil asks, spinning around in her dress.

 

Baekhyun beams. “Like the prettiest girl in the world.” He bends down to kiss her forehead. Haeeun melts a little inside. She could live on these little father-daughter moments and never starve.

 

Soleil wrinkles her nose. “You’re such a liar. You said Mom was the prettiest like a week ago.”

 

Baekhyun makes a show of looking around to see if the coast is clear. Then, he says in a hushed tone, “don’t tell your mom this, but you’re my number one.”

 

Haeeun snorts. Fake. She was going to file for divorce.

 

Soleil giggles and jumps into her dad’s arms. “Do you think Jungkook will like me?”

 

Her husband tilts his head, processing her words. “Do you like him?” He interrogates, eyes narrowed.

 

Oh goodness.

 

Her daughter flushes. “He’s nice,” she notes, avoiding Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

“And you’re too young,” he relents.

 

“Dad!” She whines. “Naeeun has a boyfriend…”

 

Baekhyun hums, “but you’re not Naeeun, you’re Soleil, my little sunshine.” He pinches her cheeks, stretching it like mochi.

 

Soleil took after Baekhyun in his youth when his cheeks were fuller. She had the same adorable button nose as him, but other than that, her long unruly hair came from Haeeun. Her skin was a mix of both of them, the most beautiful hue of honey.

 

As for Taeyong, she could see him growing out of his chubby adolescent body. He was already becoming lanky and long lines, much like his dad now. All angles and a resemblance close to a sculpted Grecian.

 

She sighs contently. If she went back to nineteen, she’d never imagined that this was the same cold man who held her gaze with contempt—who used her for his own pleasure.

 

After regaining his memory, he didn’t revert back to the old Baekhyun, instead, becoming a mix of the two. Haeeun loved him, very, very much. She didn’t care if he wasn’t the same man—her first love. She’d cared more that he was her last love, and she’d do anything for him if she could keep waking up to his sweet nothings and gentle kisses.

 

The first Baekhyun she’d met was a total puppy who gushed over her like she was his goddess. The second Baekhyun was positively an with his sharp tongue and witty comebacks. The third one, his final evolution as she’d like to call it (not that he was a Pokémon, but he’d be cute enough to be one), was the perfect mix.

 

Stupidly witty and he was soft as a marshmallow—like a plush little puppy. Like when she witnessed these small moments with their children. Or when Baekhyun was generally around her. The two were headstrong, so they’d tended to clash on everything. Their fights were intense, but their love and bond were just as intense.

 

She’d always remembered that day when he’d promised to stay by her side as the two sat in the doctor’s office with little Soleil still inside of her. She was a scared, insecure mother, but nothing—nothing could prepare her for the life she would lead with Baekhyun. It was an experience that one had to be there to witness. She couldn’t describe it in words because her life was priceless. She could never predict a second of it.

 

And though they fought tooth and nail, he’d kept his promise. He came back every time. He was there by her side every minute.

 

He was there when their daughter was born. She’d never believed that the tough Byun Baekhyun had the ability to shed tears, but he did. He’d turned his head for a beat, and for him, she pretended not to see anything.

 

That was how much she’d loved him. She’d protect his heart and pride.

 

He was there when Soleil took her first steps.

 

He was there when Haeeun held up the pregnancy stick with its unmistakable double ticks. She’d cried, and he’d held her, thanking her for being in his life—for blessing him with the past four years and a hundred more years to come.

 

Haeeun didn’t think things could get any better, but after five years of surgery, he’d switched to becoming a general practitioner, which meant Baekhyun was home for every dinner—every holiday.

 

She was able to raise her two little precious gems with him right by her side. Haeeun’s fears were assuaged because he’d proven to her time and time again that he was dependable, and he’d be there for her no matter what. He didn’t need to tell her that he loved her because she could see it. Every day.

 

In his expression, his smiles to the way he laughs. It was everywhere. And she wouldn’t trade the world for it. Baekhyun’s presence was her kryptonite, but it was also her daily vitamin.

 

Haeeun startles when the door is pulled back. Baekhyun blinks at her with Soleil in his arms. “What’s up?”

 

The corner of her lips twists, cheeks dimpled. “Nothing,” she sings, “just thinking about how much I love you.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes twinkle as he bends to press a chaste kiss against her lips. “I love you too, Eun.”

 

Soleil makes a face. “It’s 12:20, guys.”

 

Haeeun pulls back, paling. “Crap! Kyung’s gonna kill me.”

 

Taeyong jumps from his room with a pair of sunglasses that look suspiciously similar to Baekhyun’s designer pair. “That’s a dolla’ in the swear jar, missus.”

 

She sighs. “Bae, reach in my purse and drop the change for me.”

 

Baekhyun laughs, shaking his head. She exchanges a look with him, and at the moment, the same thought must’ve flashed in their heads because she can read it in his eyes.

 

Thank you for this.

 

 

 

“I’m going to kill her—“

 

“Kyungsoo, calm down,” Kyungha interrupts, patting him.

 

His nostrils flare. “She was supposed to be here an hour ago!”

 

Jongin snorts. “Since when has Hae ever showed up on time? Punctual is not a word in her dictionary.”

 

Sehun nods, his fingers. “Agreed. She was late to her own baby shower.”

 

Kyungsoo shoots him a dirty look. “If you take another bite of that pie, I will not stop myself from drowning you in it.”

 

His eyes dart away, jester-like. “I’ll just have my sweetheart give me resuscitation.”

 

She laughs. “Interesting. You would think that he would know me well by now, but my boyfriend’s still a complete moron.”

 

“Sweetheart, that’s not what you said when I nailed you right in the g-spot last night.”

 

Jungkook makes a horrified sound. “Shut up, shut up!” Her nephew yells as Kyungha snaps, “eat , Oh Sehun.”

 

Kyungsoo resorts to rolling his eyes. “You’ve been hanging out with my husband way too much.”

 

Jongin looks offended. “What’s that supposed to mean? I’m an amazing influence. Besides, Sehun practically lives here now. I am not responsible for what he picks up.”

 

And Jongin wasn’t wrong. If Kyungha were to walk into her room, she wouldn’t make it an inch before tripping on a pile of his soiled laundry. She was going to shove his head down the toilet and make him gargle it if she fell on her one more time. Not to mention, he even kept his toothbrush at her place now.

 

Sometimes, Kyungha’s afraid to find out he would resort to the streets if she’d ever kicked him out. Did the man even have his own place other than staying at hers or the hospital? She’d made a mental reminder to ask him about it.

 

Finally, she hears the sound of the car engine cut off outside their driveway. Kyungsoo stalks outside, pulling the door open only to find Taeyong barreling straight into him. He grunts in surprise and all his plans of murder drowns along with his weak spot for the kid.

 

“Kyung!” Haeeun jeers with a sheepish smile on her face.

 

Sehun tsks. “She used her own child to save her .”

 

The house is bustling with people and the sound of children. Baekhyun had invited Chanyeol and Miyoung, which meant there were two more little boys in the mix. Sehun had invited his dad who apologized that he couldn’t make it because he was currently out of the country, celebrating Thanksgiving with his wife.

 

Kyungha could tell Sehun was a little disappointed even though he’d tried not to show up it on his face.

 

“Kyungha, can you grab some more utensils?” Her brother asks. She stands up, taking Sehun’s hands. He sends her a questioning look, but she interlaces their fingers, tugging him with her.

 

Miyoung and Chanyeol choke on their wine, and Haeeun begins happily catching them up on the tea they’ve missed, without Kyungha—of course, she was already long gone with Sehun.

 

She pulls him inside the pantry, flipping on the light. “Are you okay?” She asks, reaching to touch his face. Sehun leans into her touch, and her stomach flips at the way he just…did it—like it was a visceral thing.

 

“How did you know?” He asks, a sad smile stretching tight on his lips.

 

Kyungha presses her forehead with his. “Because I know you. Tell me what’s wrong, Hoon.”

 

He sighs, slipping his arms around her waist. “I’m just—I hate Thanksgiving, is all. When I was little, I never spent it as you guys did. It was just me and Dad. Mom—well, I didn’t have one. I just remembered envying people who had big families because I knew, I could never have that. And of course, Dad isn’t here this year.” His gaze drops. “It’s stupid—forget it.”

 

“It’s not stupid,” she murmurs, caressing his cheek. “I may not understand because I’ve been blessed with my stupidly doting family, but your insecurities and sadness aren’t stupid. Don’t dismiss it, just because you think I won’t understand. You’re important to me. I know I can be a —”

 

He laughs and proceeds to interrupt her rudely with a chaste kiss sweeter than Nutella and her king-sized Kit Kat bar.

 

Biting back a smile and ignoring her woozy stomach, she continues, “as I was saying, I can be a sometimes, but I care about you. And you may think that because you’re a man, you have to be strong so I can depend on you. I appreciate the thought, but I don’t care about hypermasculinity. Depend on me too, Oh Sehun. I’m not here to simply be a trophy girlfriend.”

 

Sehun kisses her again, this time lingering for a second longer. “How do you always say the right thing at the right time?”

 

She quips teasingly, “duh, because I’m an intellectual.”

 

“Right, how could I? I have sinned, forgive me, my queen.”

 

“You’re so gross, shut up.”

 

“Make me.”

 

Kyungha ignores the flare of mischief in his eyes. “Hoon.” She gazes at him seriously. He leans back, pressing their hips flushed together.

 

“Hm?”

 

“I’m not sure if this is what you have in mind, but I’m your family, you know?” Kyungha realizes how cheesy that sounds, and she is currently dying of raw embarrassment. Gods. What was he doing to her? She sighs. This was probably an aftereffect of A.S.

 

His eyes blaze with what she could only describe as fondness. “That’s perfect, sweetheart.”

 

And then the door to the pantry is opened. Kyungsoo glances between the two of them with a fed-up look. “I asked you to grab silverware not hook up in my pantry.”

 

Sehun laughs, pulling away from her. She misses his warmth already, but Kyungha’s heart continues to thrash wildly because, throughout dinner, he never lets go of her hand.

 

“Before we begin, I would like everyone to say one thing they’re thankful for,” Kyungsoo relays, waving his hands to all of them.

 

Haeeun whines, “I’m hungry.” And then, she gets shot down with a glare.

 

Jongin shrugs. “His idea, not mine.”

 

Taeyong raises his hand. “I’ll go first!” Everyone quiets down for him. “I’m grateful for my mom and dad.” The room is filled with awes almost immediately. “And my sister. And oh—my new friends,” he finishes, grinning at the two boys by his side, Jaehyun and Jaemin.

 

Soleil goes next. “I’m thankful for Dad soundproofing his room.”

 

Haeeun chokes on her wine and Baekhyun hides his face as he pats his wife’s back.

 

Then, it’s Kyungha. “I’m thankful for my family.” She glances next to her, sharing an intimate look with him. “New and old.”

 

Sehun beams. “I’m thankful for my beautiful girlfriend.” And the room awes again. She squeezes his hand, and surprise, he does it too.

 

Baekhyun and Haeeun share that they’re thankful they get to come home to each other. Her brothers are grateful that everyone’s careers are going well.

 

Miyoung and Chanyeol end with a positive note that they’re grateful that every single child in this room is healthy and happy.

 

Then, Jungkook goes last—and oh, right, he didn’t go yet. “Thank you, dads, for showing me what it’s like to feel love.” He shares a look with Jongin and Kyungsoo who attempt to hide their proud dad smiles, but they positively at it. “And to my friends, you guys are awesome. Really. I couldn’t have assimilated without all of you. And Kyungha noona, you’re the best sister I could ever ask for. When I was little, I constantly prayed for guidance, and I just wanted someone to look up to. Honestly, I couldn’t have met someone better than you. Even though you’re kind of defiant and stuck-up, I know you only have good intentions. Hoonie, please don’t hurt her. I hate it when noona sulks. It makes her look so ugly.”

 

The room breaks into a laugh, and Kyungha props her chin on her hand, resigned.

 

“Anyway—sorry, you guys must be hungry—I’m almost done, promise. Lastly, I’d be really, really grateful if you guys pull your bed from the wall when you’re going at it.”

 

Kyungha groans in mortification as Haeeun shoots her knowing look.

 

Kyungsoo claps his hand, bellowing an exuberant, “Happy Thanksgiving!” The room bursts into a chorus of cheers.

 

Sehun leans into her ear. A chill runs down her spine when his hot breath grazes the shell of her ears. He kisses her jaw and murmurs, in a hushed tone—indicating that these words were for her and only her, “thank you, sweetheart, for making this the best ing Thanksgiving of my life. Here’s to a million more with you.”