colère

éphémère

 

    “Good morning everybody. We are back today with the weather forecast. Sooji, would you like to take over?”

 

    “I would love to, Aster. Today is June 10th, 2036. Wonderful day today on the east coast with sunshine and few clouds…”

 

    Kyungha stares around the half-empty room, scratching the nape of her neck as she tries to recall if she’s forgotten anything. The news blends into the background as the buzz of students around them next door and doors beyond them pack up, ready to leave.

 

    Meanwhile, her roommate, Seulgi, is lying on the floor, sulking. “I can’t believe they’re doing this to us!”

 

    She blankly stares at the girl. “What do you mean?”

 

    “I mean! Our residency orientation begins in 5 days. Kyung, that means we have no vacation time.”

 

    Seeing that Kyungha doesn’t react much, Seulgi pulls her down to the floor, throwing her arms over the monotonous girl. “You’re heavy,” she deadpans.

 

    “I’m going to miss you so much, baby. You were a million times better than my college roommate. And you’re only 20.” Her roommate sighs dramatically with a palm over her face. “I know you’ll be going places. After all, you were in the top ranks for the match—“

 

    A knock at the door rattles both of them. The dormitory RA smiles pleasantly toward the two of them. “Sorry, didn’t mean to scare ya!”

 

    Seulgi waves her hand, smiling. “It’s okay.”

 

    “Anyway, I’m here to tell you that you only have an hour left before we do final sweeps. Everyone has to be out of here before 5 today!” She announces.

 

    Kyungha watches Seulgi’s smile drop as her face mirrors an expression of horror. They watch the RA leave, hearing the distant reminder come on, people. Let’s get a move on!

 

    Kyungha doesn’t waste any time, getting off the floor. Seulgi is quick to grab her, ignoring her tight expression. “Kyung, we’re best friends, right?”

 

    “That could be argued,” Kyungha manages, trying to struggle from her tight bear hug.

 

    “No! We’ve done so many—so many things together.”

 

    “Like what?”

 

    Seulgi gasps, holding a hand to her chest to suggest that the younger has deeply offended her. “Who took you to your first party? Who introduced you to the hottest guys?” Her head bobs sideways, signaling for Kyungha to answer.

 

    Kyungha rolls her eyes. “And the same can be said when you introduced me to a guy that said he purely wanted to hook up with me, but he ended up demanding that I had to date him or he’d kill himself. Tell me, Seulgi. Is that what friends do? Lie?”

 

    Her friend gasps again. “You’re not wrong, but! I’ve done so many other great things. It was just one—one mishap. Remember when I cleaned up your vomit? When I mouthed off a professor for treating you like you were stupid?”

 

    Kyungha grows silent as she watches Seulgi ramble off into her own world. “Well, are we going to stand here and argue all day or actually try not to get kicked out without our things?”

 

    Seulgi grins. “I love you!”

 

    “No. You don’t—”

 

    “Yeah, yeah, love is the chemical reaction in the brain, blah, blah, blah—don’t care.”

 

 

 

Kyungha doesn’t bother to knock when she stops by her brother’s. She hasn’t seen him since New Year, but at this time, he should be home by now. She only needed a temporary place to stay before she was swamped with residency and lose the only social aspect of her life left.

 

    When she opens the door, Soleil is on the couch, attached to her phone. She winces when there’s a loud crash upstairs. Kyungha watches Soleil toss down her phone in exasperation, eyes rolling and preparing to get up.

 

    Meanwhile, her older brother barrels from the kitchen to the base of the stairs wearing a crossed expression. “Boys! Do I have to go up there and separate you?!” His voice is shrill.

 

    Two sheepish voices retort, “no!” Then, uneven footsteps make them way downstairs. Kyungha stares at the two boys who are grinning cheekily.

 

    Jungkook, 13 years old, and Taeyong, 7 years old, are on the steps, the younger dangling on the elder like a koala. “Tae—argh—I’m gonna fall,” Jungkook grunts as he grabs the railing.

 

    Kyungsoo sighs, pinching his temple. “What did you break this time?”

 

    Jungkook looks offended as he stares at her older brother. “Dad! Why are you looking at me? Tae’s the one who tackled me!” He whines, trying to wiggle from the mischievous younger boy.

 

    Taeyong bats his eyelashes innocently. “I have no idea what he’s talking about, uncle. I was only trying to protect myself.”

 

    Kyungsoo caves, which makes Kyungha snicker. The older man is extremely weak toward Taeyong. Jungkook frowns, and then his eyes widen when he sees Kyungha. “Noona!” He finally loosens himself from Taeyong and jumps toward her.

 

    The taller girl yelps when he latches his arm around her neck. “Jungkook, ow. You’re hurting me. Sheesh, you’re so heavy. What does Kyungsoo feed you?”

 

    Her older brother smiles endearingly. “He eats like a horse nowadays. I swear I take one look in the cupboard and all the snacks I’ve bought are gone.” Then, he turns to frown at his son. “J, I told you to call her auntie.”

 

    Jungkook doesn’t look like he’s listening when his eyes wander. Kyungha laughs adoringly, shaking her head. “Nothing changes around here, does it? You’re always nagging my favorite nephew.”

 

    Jungkook’s eyes glimmer, but Taeyong pouts, “what?! That’s so unfair. I thought I was your favorite! Noona!”

 

    Kyungha sticks out her tongue. “Because you’re a kiss .”

 

    Soleil finally wanders over to the noisy crowd. She makes a face. “Kyungie’s spitting facts.” The two girls exchange hugs before she continues, “mom is so weak to his whining. Dad and I collectively agree that it’s painful to watch.”

 

    Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Alright, no dinner for any of you if you make my sweetheart cry.”

 

    Everyone gasps in the room, and Taeyong beams. “Uncle is the best!” He squeezes Kyungsoo in a hug.

 

    Later the kids are gathered in front of Kyungsoo and Jongin’s humongous television, watching an early release of one of Jongin’s new films.

 

    Kyungha is currently helping her older brother prepare dinner. “How was work?” She asks out of formality.

 

    Kyungsoo hums, “it’s good. I love teaching. You know, it’s always been my thing. I get to see Haeeun all the time during lunch.”

 

    She focuses on dicing the yellow onions evenly. “That’s good.”

 

    “You’re antisocial as always,” he notes.

 

    “It’s my personality. I can’t change it,” she retorts.

 

    Her brother sighs, but the corner of his eyes are crinkling. “My cute little sister—I wonder where she went?”

 

    Kyungha finishes the onions and moves onto peeling carrots. She can’t remember the beginning of her personality change. Kyungsoo says she’s always been bright since she was little. She spoke later than other kids, but only in a couple of months, Kyungha spoke more eloquently than other children.

 

    It explains the harassment she faced as a child because she was different. He told her that one day, she just came home from school and stopped smiling.

 

    That Kyungha does remember. It was the day the group of girls in her class put all her homework and books through the shredding machine in the teacher’s lounge. Seeing that she didn’t say anything to anyone about the incidents, the girls continued. Each day was worse. One day she was pushed into a pond. Another day, she was pushed off of a slide.

 

    From then on, Kyungha stayed indoors and assisted her teacher with planning instead. It wasn’t until the violence marked her with bruises that her teacher finally noticed and reported it. Kyungsoo and her mother were called in, and everyone made the decision to send her to a private school for the gifted.

 

    When she attended primary school with her normal classmates, Kyungha didn’t understand why her classmates held so much resentment toward her. So what if she knew all the answers to her teacher’s questions? So what if she memorized the multiplication table 2 grade levels before everyone else? Was it so crazy that they couldn’t accept it?

 

    Kyungha found out too late. She was already the teacher’s pet. There was no point in pretending she was just like the rest of them, which was why she took the harassment.

 

    She didn’t think anyone else lived a life like her. After all, there were only a few people in the world with minds like her. Kyungha would never meet anyone who went through the loneliness because she was so ahead of everyone.

 

    Or so she thought because Sehun soon came into the picture. He was an anomaly. He had scared her.

 

    Realizing the kitchen has grown silent, she clears . “How’s Jongin?” She asks.

 

    Kyungsoo smiles, but it’s guarded. “He’s fine. The usual. I really only see him late at night. He always has events.”

 

    She frowns. Kyungha isn’t stupid. She knows something is up. “You’re fighting,” she guesses. Kyungsoo doesn't say anything, which means Kyungha hit the jackpot. “Have you told anyone?”

 

    He looks distracted. “W-what do you mean? We’re fine. You’re seeing too much into this.”

 

    Kyungha stops dicing the carrots. “Kyungsoo, you clearly know that Mom and I can detect your lies in a second. If you won’t tell me anything, I’ll call her.”

 

    This makes Kyungsoo panic. “No! Kyungha—god, no. Don’t you dare call her.”

 

    She purses her lips. The girl drops her knife, wiping her hands across her apron. Then, she reaches inside her pocket, pulling her phone out. She relentlessly dials their mom’s number, until her older brother snatches her phone away.

 

    “F-fine, stop it, Kyungha,” he murmurs, his composure wanes. Kyungha may not be able to express her emotions well, but she cares about her family. She cares about both Kyungsoo and Jongin. “We’ve been fighting nonstop since he directed his recent film. I saw some articles about him and the lead actress, so I asked him about him. He blew up on me and came to the conclusion that I didn’t trust him.” Her brother sniffles, but it’s barely heard past the sound of the vegetables sizzling in the dutch oven. “I gave him a chance to calm down, but he’s just distant now. It’s not the same between us anymore. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. I think—I think he hates domestic life. Kyungha, I think he doesn’t want this life. He’s in love with his name—his brand.”

 

    Kyungha sighs and turns around to wrap her brother in a hug. He snuggles against her neck. “Kyungsoo, I may not be the one in a relationship with Jongin, but I’ve been in your lives for practically my whole life. Believe me when I say that Jongin’s not that person. I’ve seen a lot of people throughout my life. He’s not like them. Why do you live in this neighborhood despite the insane price? Because he cares about you and Jungkook’s safety. Why did Jongin stay with you since high school? Because he loves you.”

 

    She’s aware of how much of a hypocrite she’s being, but Kyungha’s in a tight spot; she despises conflict. It’s too troublesome. Despite not believing in love, the people around her seem to thrive in it. She grew up watching her brother and his husband share it. Haeeun and Baekhyun also have that same connection she sees in her brother.

 

    It’s probably why she’s the only cynical one. She’s the one who holds the rein. In the world of their happiness, she’s the one who prevents any of them from flying away. Kyungha knows she doesn’t have to be responsible, but because it’s her personality, she's willing to bear the burden.

 

    Kyungsoo is quiet, but then he speaks, “sorry for being so gloomy. Your graduation is tomorrow. I shouldn’t be complaining about my life. You’re about to enter the next stage of your life.”

 

    Her heart constricts. “Stop it. We’re humans. We have a frontal lobe for a reason. We can’t always be emotionless zombies.”

 

    He chuckles. “That’s rich coming from you.”

 

    “I’m the anomaly,” she implores.

 

 

 

Haeeun and Baekhyun drop by for dinner. The two lovebirds bicker as usual. Soleil tunes it out, her fingers flying over her phone as she engages in what looks like a serious conversation. Meanwhile, Taeyong and Jungkook can’t stop engaging each other in ridiculous competitions.

 

    Kyungsoo’s the only one who isn’t speaking as much as usual. She can tell he’s thinking about her words and Jongin.

 

    Just as they’re about to start eating, Jongin shows up with enormous bags in his arms. Kyungsoo blankly glances at his husband, question in his eyes.

 

    Haeeun drops her fork. “You’re late, !”

 

    “Babe, language,” Baekhyun reminds.

 

    Soleil laughs under her breath. “That’s another dollar in the swear jar, mom.”

 

    “,” Haeeun curses again, which makes everyone burst out laughing at the table.

 

    Jongin grins. “Sorry, did you all start already?”

 

    Kyungsoo glares at his husband. “Can you explain what’s going on?”

 

    “I bought presents for Kyungha. She’s graduating tomorrow?” He sounds puzzled when he drops them off gently.

 

    “That’s why you’re late?” Kyungsoo’s voice is razor sharp right now. He’s extremely sensitive. Everyone is silent with widening eyes as if they’ve been caught in the middle of this with nowhere to go.

 

    Baekhyun smiles, clapping his hand as he tries to clear the atmosphere. “Come on, guys. This isn’t anything serious. It’s not like we were in a rush to eat dinner.”

 

    Kyungsoo ignores the optimism and wordlessly leaves the room. Jungkook's eyebrows knit together as he glances between his dads weirdly.

 

    Jongin runs after his husband after sending them apologetic looks.

 

    Kyungha catches Jungkook’s hands before he’s able to get up too. She shakes her head gently, signaling for him to sit back down.

 

    Everyone looks to her for answers, and she smiles weakly. “They just need time to talk something out. I’m sure everything’s fine. Hae, you should go check on them just in case.”

 

    Haeeun gets up without wasting any time. She squeezes her husband’s shoulder before disappearing.

 

    Kyungha sighs inaudibly. So much for peace.

 

 

 

She’s studying an email from Mount Sinai hospital. It lists where to meet for orientation later today. As she’s about to shut off her screen, her phone buzzes with a text. It’s Seulgi.

are you up for clubbing

Go to sleep

PLEASE

i refuse to go alone. i’m not that person

Here’s a simple solution: don’t

no! pretty please?? i’ll do whatever you want

And yet you always seem to forget when I mention it

no idea what ur on

please tell me ur in

No

    And somehow ten minutes later, Kyungha is dressed and waiting outside her brother’s porch. Seulgi’s car appears on the street in another couple of minutes. Her friend narrows her eyes as soon as she catches Kyungha’s appearance.

 

    “What are you wearing?” Seulgi questions when Kyungha buckles in.

 

    “Clothes,” she drones.

 

    The girl rolls her eyes. “No, I know that. I meant we’re clubbing, not going to the library!”

 

    Kyungha glances down at her clothes. She’s wearing jeans and a t-shirt. “I’d rather be comfortable, not pulling my out of my every few seconds,” she says pointedly, nodding her head in Seulgi’s direction.

 

    Seulgi is wearing a tight dress. Did Kyungha mention short? Her friend scoffs, “you’re a tough nut to crack. It’s fine. I’m sure the guys will fall all over your feet when they see just how charming you are.”

 

    “You’re lying right?” Kyungha’s tone picks up some concerns.

 

    The shorter girl laughs, throwing her head back and whooping obnoxiously. “When do I ever kid around?”

 

    Kyungha regrets her life choices as soon as she steps foot into the club. The music is thumping, and her head starts to ache. She wants to strangle the girl when she is lead to a private area. Kyungha wasn’t even 21. She had no idea how Seulgi got her in.

 

    Seulgi hooks her arm around the younger, making sure she doesn’t try to escape. Kyungha hides her face with her free hand.

 

    There are several people near a small booth when they sit down. Kyungha can’t see very well in the dimly lit room. The laser lights are unreliable as they disappear every other second, and when they do shine, it blinds her.

 

    “Hey guys, this is my former roommate Kyungha.” Seulgi greets with a dazzling smile. Kyungha stares at the two guys that are eyeing Seulgi with anything but innocent intentions. Her friend ignores it, and she sits down in the free spot. Kyungha follows suit without a word.

 

    Everyone introduces themselves, and the small talk begins to flitter between all of them, but Kyungha doesn’t try to speak to anyone. She simply sits back and observes.

 

    Apparently, Seulgi was added to the group chat started by someone here. The group chat included all the interns matched at Mount Sinai. She was invited, and Kyungha was not, which is why she’s curious as to why Seulgi dragged her here.

 

    No one seems to be bothered with her, which makes her a tiny bit relieved. When Seulgi excuses herself for the bathroom, Kyungha is left alone.

 

    One of the guys takes this opportunity to snatch the empty spot next to her. She believes his name is Jason Lee. His breath stinks like he’s been on rotten licorice. Kyungha scrunches her face.

 

    “What was your name again?” He asks, moving closer to her.

 

    Kyungha can’t move any further as she’s run out of space. “Kyungha,” she answers coldly.

 

    He nods dazedly. “Has anyone told you that you look like a goddess?”

 

    Irene, the girl across from them, sputters a laugh, “Jason, are you drunk?”

 

    Jason glares in her direction before directing his gaze back at Kyungha. He waves his hand dismissively. “Ignore her. She and I attended NYU together. She’s been in love with me since forever.”

 

    Irene looks like she’s about to chuck her cocktail at him. “Jason, you’re an .”

 

    The other people grow silent, interest peaked by the raise in Irene’s tone. Jason disregards her again. Kyungha is uncomfortable, and she swears when she sees Seulgi again, she’s going to shave off every single strand of the girl’s hair.

 

    He sleazily moves into her personal space, breath fanning her cheek. “You’re just the hottest girl I’ve ever seen. How old are you?”

 

    She remains silent, nose upturned.

 

    He grows frustrated and grumbles to himself before nudging her, “Hey, say something. Are you deaf?”

 

    Kyungha’s lips curl into a sneer. “I’m sorry. My mom told me not to speak to strangers, especially ones that have no manners.”

 

    Jason cackles. His laugh is dry, and his breath blasts her. She grimaces. "I love girls who put up a fight. They’re so much hotter in bed.” His tone deepens suggestively.

 

    Irene gets up, her drink spilling over. She marches away from the table. Another girl runs to chase after her.

 

    Jason is unfazed as his hand falls on her thigh. He pats her lightly as if she was a dog that needed coaxing. It was clear. He was an idiot. She hated these types of people. People who saw problems in others, but never themselves.

 

    Kyungha moves to get up, but he grabs her arm tightly. “Honey, where are you going? We aren’t done talking yet.”

 

    She rips her arm from him. “Don’t ing touch me,” Kyungha seethes.

 

    Jason backs off as everyone around them grows deadly silent. “Damn, what the is her problem?”

 

    Kyungha pushes herself through the narrow spaces. The tightness makes her stomach feel queasy. She’s increasingly getting claustrophobic the more she gets trapped in the masses of body.

 

    “Do Kyungha?” A voice stops her. She turns around, expecting it to be Seulgi, but it’s not.

 

    Her gaze raises to the familiar face of Oh Sehun. Her tongue is tied. She didn’t expect him to be here.

 

    Sehun stands in front of her, sporting a fitted suit that accentuates his broad shoulders. He looks the same as always. The crinkle in his eyes—an adoration that’s always been directed at her. Because to him, she’s the same little eight-year-old. He has the same crooked smile—the asymmetrical smile that had always bothered her.

 

    His hair is jet black and neatly trimmed short. He looks put together, professional, unlike during his twenties when he fashioned the I-just-rolled-out-of-bed hair.

 

    He’s wrong. Kyungha isn’t the same eight-year-old. She’s not the same sixteen-year-old either.

 

    “You’ve got the wrong person,” she returns stoically, stiffly turning around again.

 

    Sehun grabs her. She sighs. Not again. Not another person trying to touch her without her permission.

 

    “No, sweetheart. I know it’s you.” He sounds breathy. Kyungha shudders. It perturbs her.

 

    Kyungha becomes irritated as the seconds tick by. It hasn't changed since the last time. Oh Sehun is the only person to ever successfully stretch her nerves thin.

 

    She grits her teeth. “I have to go.”

 

    “I-I—“ He falters, seeing the anger blazing in her eyes. His eyes are unsure and nervous.

 

    Finally, Seulgi is done using the restroom because Seulgi and Kyungha catch one another’s gaze from across the room.

 

    The older girl rushes over, smiling widely. “Hey! I couldn’t find you at the table. Someone said you left.”

 

    Kyungha replies curtly, “because I am. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

    Seulgi frowns, opening to speak but nothing comes out. She finally notices Sehun’s presence. Her eyes are wide as she stares between the two, possibly trying to figure out their relationship. Not to mention, Sehun’s grip is still on her wrist.

 

    “Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Seulgi, Kyungha’s one, and only best friend.”

 

    Sehun returns a cautious smile, nodding. “Sehun. Nice to meet you too.”

 

    Seulgi glances between them. “What’s your relationship with Kyungha?”

 

    “He’s nobody,” Kyungha snaps impatiently.

 

    He looks taken aback, and his grip becomes loose to where Kyungha is able to pull her arm away. “Kyungha—“

 

    She ignores him and starts to leave. Seulgi rushes after her. “Hey! What’s your problem?”

 

    Kyungha denies, “I don’t have a problem.”

 

    “You’re lying. You’re wound up so tight. What the hell is going on? Who is he?”

 

    “I told you. He’s no one.”

 

    Seulgi yelps when she almost trips over someone’s foot. “H-hey! Wait, Kyungha!” Seeing that Kyungha is ignoring her, she finally loses it. “Do Kyungha!” The younger freezes in her steps. Seulgi takes advantage of this. “You’re hiding something. He’s not just anyone. I've never seen you like this. Something must’ve happened. Kyungha, we’re friends. I’ll drive you home, okay? We can talk about it on the way.”

 

    Kyungha’s had enough. Enough of the intrusion of privacy from everyone. “No, you’ve done enough.” This makes Seulgi stop, her eyes wide. She’s afraid of Kyungha. “And for the last time, we aren’t friends. I told you; I don’t make friends.”