Chapter VIII: the dinner

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

__

 

Hana was standing at the entrance of her home, wearing a simple, pink-lace dress. As she was tying her hair into a neat ponytail, she looked towards Miss Kim who was standing next to her, “Do you know who we’re having dinner with tonight, Miss Kim? This was so out of the blue.”

Miss Kim sympathetically looked at the girl and responded, “The Parks.”

The Parks? Isn’t that us? Hana tilted her head in confusion. Before Miss Kim could clarify, a sleek black car pulled up to the driveway. As soon as the guests stepped out, the maids all bowed at once and Hana followed in suit. When she straightened up, however, she released a loud gasp, “Park Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol, on the contrary, had the widest grin she had ever seen, “Hana! What’s up?” Chanyeol’s mother squealed and ran over the girl, enveloping her in a tight hug, “Hana, dear! We were so ecstatic when your parents called us over for dinner!”

Still confused, Hana plastered on a polite smile and hugged the woman in return, “It’s so great to see you again, Mrs. Park. I’m glad we will have the opportunity to properly catch up this time.”

Chanyeol’s father walked over and patted the girl on the head, “Hi Hana! It’s been a while.”

Hana’s father stepped out with her mother at his side. As the parents greeted each other, Chanyeol came to Hana’s side. “Did you know about this?” Hana asked, straining her neck to look at the boy. Chanyeol nodded, “Barely. My mom told me, like, two hours ago.”

Hana’s mother smoothly arrived at her daughter’s side and placed an arm around her bare shoulders, “Great to see you, Chanyeol! Looking good, as always!”

Chanyeol’s grin suddenly turned mischievous and he bowed to Hana’s mother, “Likewise, Mrs. Park. I’m honored for the opportunity to have dinner with you all tonight.” It’s showtime!

//

As all six bodies were sitting at the massive dining table, the maids served delectable steaks that were cooked to perfection. Hana was preparing to cut her steak, but Chanyeol’s father nodded at his son, “Help Hana cut her steak, son.”

Chanyeol grinned, “Gladly!” The boy took her plate and awkwardly held the knife and fork in his hands. Instead of cutting the meat properly, as he fully knew how, he stabbed the piece of meat with the knife and attempted a cutting motion with the fork. In shock, all eyes watched as the boy attempted to cut the steak with the incorrect utensils with a serious expression on his face.

“Son,” Chanyeol’s father coughed, “You are quite the goofball, aren’t you? Cut it properly so she can eat.”

Hana stifled her laughter with her fist, but quickly turned proper once more when her mother shot her a look. Chanyeol rolled his eyes and began to properly cut the steak, but noted, “Fine, fine. You know who taught me about cutting steaks, dad? Baekhyun. He cooks a really good steak!”

 

At the mention of the other boy, Hana’s eyes widened in shock. That came out of nowhere. Hana’s mother’s jaw slightly dropped and her father’s posture stiffened. Chanyeol’s mother slapped the back of his head lightly, muttering, “What are you talking about? Have you gone insane?”

“I’m serious! He lived in the States by himself so he’s an amazing cook! Hana, you have to come over when he cooks for us. It’s to die for!” Chanyeol bragged, cutting the steak into expert pieces. Hana smiled warmly at the boy, “I’d love to join you guys.”

 

Seeing the opportunity, Hana’s mother ate a piece of her dinner and said, “That’s so kind of you, Chanyeol. You know, I had a good feeling about you after meeting you at the party the other night.” Chanyeol’s mother beamed, “He’s a wonderful young man. We’re still looking for a fiancee for him as well. The heir of Park Airlines needs the perfect wife to support him!”

Hana’s father asked, “How are your grades, Chanyeol? I’m hoping as great as your height?” The room filled with laughter and Hana’s face began to darken. So this is why we’re having dinner with them. Of course, there’s always an ulterior motive.

Chanyeol gave a tight smile. You better be so grateful for me, Byun Baekhyun! “I’m currently fourth in the class, right behind Hana. You know, Baekhyun’s actually the salutatorian right now. Him and Hana go back and forth between the rankings so often, it keeps all of us on the edge of our seats!”

Why does he keep bringing up Baekhyun? Hana wondered, staring up at the boy curiously. As the parents exchanged odd looks with one another, Chanyeol met eyes with Hana and gave her a reassuring wink as he whispered, “I got it under control.” At his words, Hana chuckled and smiled admiringly at the boy as he nonchalantly slipped a piece of the steak into his mouth, “Yum.”

 

Chanyeol’s father cleared his throat, “Anyway, his grades are wonderful and he helps me a lot at the office. He’s getting the hang of the airline business quite well! I might as well retire this year based off of his superb performance!” Hana’s father grinned, “A motivated man. I like that.”

Chanyeol took a sip of the water in front of him before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter