Chapter VI: the disapproval

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

__

 

The light pink room lit up brightly as the sunlight began to stream in. Birds were chirping and the sound of cars driving along the street were heard. Downstairs, the maids were cleaning the living room and cooking breakfast in the kitchen. On cue, Hana’s alarm clock that was shaped as a cloud began to chime.

Her slender arm reached out from under the comforters and gently tapped the cloud, returning the room to it’s serene state. Immediately, however, Miss Kim entered with a gentle knock, “Hana, it’s time for school.”

Hana sat up in bed, her eyes closed and voice still hoarse, “Thank you, Miss Kim. I’ll be down shortly.”

The older woman smiled and draped the freshly ironed gray and yellow uniform on the bed before exiting the room to give the girl some privacy. Hana sighed and rubbed her eyes, pushing the blankets off of her body as she climbed out of bed and headed towards the restroom to wash. Back to reality, huh?

 

As Hana was brushing her teeth in the mirror, she blankly stared at her reflection. As she thought of the slow dance she shared with Baekhyun at the party from the night before, she blushed and placed a hand on her cheek. I must be going crazy. Stop thinking about that, it’s over now. Now, you have to be the same old Park Hana that everyone knows you to be and he has to return to being the same old classmate of mine.

The girl finished washing and dressing into her uniform, descending down the stairs two steps at a time. As soon as she arrived on the last step, two more maids came to her side and bowed in greeting. In response, Hana warmly smiled and bowed, giving them both small hugs before heading towards the dining table. Her father was sitting at the head of the table, reading the daily news, while her mother was at his side and flipping through the latest fashion magazine.

Hana bowed at her parents, “Good morning, mom and dad. How did you sleep?”

Instead of her father’s usual pleasant response, he set his newspaper down and stared at the girl as he took a sip of his black coffee. Mrs. Park sighed and closed her magazine, motioning for Hana to come join the couple at the table. Hana’s face fell and she slowly dragged her feet over, sitting next to her mother.

“Is something wrong? You both are acting quite strange this morning.” Hana awkwardly laughed, tugging at the end of her uniform skirt. She had a feeling of where this discussion was going.

Mr. Park slid over a manila folder towards the girl, folding his hands together on top of the table, “I had my assistant do some research on that boy at the party last night.”

Hana’s eyes widened and she stared incredulously at her father, “You did what?”

He shrugged nonchalantly, “I got some more information about him and his family. You know how highly regarded our family is. I cannot allow you to associate yourself with someone that is lowly.”

Hana’s eyebrows furrowed, “Dad! That’s not the point! How could you violate someone’s privacy like this?”

He tilted his head at his daughter, taking off his reading glasses, “How could you be so close to someone who is not supposed to be in our social circle? You know the rules, Park Hana. We raised you better than this.”

Hana stood up, slamming her palms on the table, “This is ridiculous! He’s just a classmate of mine that happened to be at the party with a few of our other colleagues! How could you go this far to stalk him for that?”

Mrs. Park pulled on Hana’s sleeve, “Honey, calm down. Sit back down and listen to your father.”

Mr. Park reached for the folder, “Look at these, Hana. Then, you’ll understand-”

“No!” Hana roared, forcing the folder to remain closed as she laid her palm firmly on top of the files, “There’s nothing to understand about this situation. I refuse to look at whatever information you got. If he wanted to share something, he would have.”

Mr. Park clenched his fist in anger, “You immature child. You know better than to act like this. We are doing this for your own good!”

“My own good or yours?” Hana questioned, “I don’t think you truly care about my own good. You’d probably marry me off to some man I don’t love for the sake of your business ties.”

Enraged, Mr. Park slapped Hana across the face, gasps emitting from all mouths in the room. Mrs. Park stood up and got in between the two, “That’s enough!”

With tears threatening to spill from her eyes, Hana glare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter