Chapter XIII: the truth

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi everyone! Thank you so so much for your subs, upvotes, and support! It means so much! I hope you all are enjoying the story. Please be safe and wash your hands! :)

 

Chapter 13

__

 

Baekhyun was eating breakfast with his father at the hospital, the sunlight streaming in and warming up with room. Baekhyun was sitting in a chair at the bedside, picking at his waffles. His father took a sip of coffee and looked at the boy’s troubled expression, “What’s on your mind, son? Is the business too much for you to handle? I know it’s a handful and I wish I didn’t have to put it on you so quickly.”

Baekhyun jerked his head up and shook it quickly, “That’s not it at all, father! I’m very grateful to be working in the company with you.”

“Then what is it?” Mr. Byun curiously stared at the boy, who proceeded to avoid his gaze. After giving the boy some time to organize his thoughts, Baekhyun began, “I know it was very hard for you to deal with being shunned from the circle and having to relocate the business. I know how difficult it was to establish the business from nothing here in Japan, and I know it was difficult to have to send me away to live on my own.”

Mr. Byun softened, and Baekhyun continued, “I found a girl that I am very fond of, and I want to pursue a relationship with her.” His father’s eyes widened and he grinned, “That’s wonderful, son!”

“But,” Baekhyun closed his eyes and sighed, “She’s the heir to Sky Luxury Hotels.” His father’s face dropped immediately, “Are you talking about Park Hana?”

The boy glumly nodded his head, “Yes, and I know about your feud with them. I completely understand as well. She wants to try to collaborate with us for a project she has in mind, but I’m not sure what to do, father.”

Mr. Byun sighed and looked at the disoriented state of his son, “Mr. Kim must have told you. They ruined our lives, Baekhyun.” The boy furrowed his eyebrows and ruffled his hair in frustration, “You don’t have to remind me, dad. I lived through it with you.” 

At his harsh response, Mr. Byun knew that Baekhyun was conflicted and felt more strongly about this situation than any other circumstance they had experienced in the past. When Baekhyun had been sent to America, he had willingly obliged without any questions. And when he was beckoned to return to re-establish the business, the boy had done so without complaint. Considering the massive amount of objection Baekhyun had put up with an arranged marriage, his father knew how much Hana had meant to him.

His father defeatedly sighed and patted his son’s hands, “She must mean a lot to you. She’s a good daughter and I’ve heard amazing things about her as a person. It would be an honor to have her in the family.” Baekhyun whipped his head up and stared into his father’s eyes. Mr. Byun continued, “I’m giving you permission to participate in the project and to pursue her. But, it’s gonna be a hard journey, son. Her parents are very stubborn and care a lot about image. I’m sure you’ve already faced a lot of that.”

Baekhyun nodded, “Her father looked me up the day after I met them. They tried to set her up with Chanyeol, too. I think it’s because they know about us.” Mr. Byun twisted his lips in thought, “That darn Park. Listen up, son. Don’t tell her that you’re going to work with them.” Mr. Byun smirked, “We’ll make them ask the other companies, and tell them in advance not to agree to the project. Then, Mr. Park will have to come to you personally.”

Baekhyun blinked at his father’s plan, “No wonder you’ve lasted this long in the business. You’re insane.”

//

Baekhyun’s response disappointed Hana, but she understood his perspective. He must be too busy to take another project under his belt. Since her plan with Baekhyun fell through, she was forced to contact all other technology companies that her father had ties with, but each one declined. 

“Please, Mr. Lee, if you could reconsider-” Hana asked into the phone with perfect English, but the man cut her off, “Listen, dear, I love your family. But we just can’t afford it right now with the other projects we’ve planned. But send your father my warm regards and tell him I’ll play golf with him soon.” The call ended and Hana sighed, placing her phone on her desk.

Miss Kim entered with a tray of fruits and frowned at the girl’s state, “Hana, I brought some fruit for you. You have been working too much, dear. Please take a break.”

Hana shook her head, scrolling through her computer, “I can’t, I need to find someone to fund my project before this weekend. Thank you, Miss Kim. You can leave it here.”

The woman placed the tray gently on the desk, and Hana flashed her a smile before typing in another phone number and talking in fluent Japanese, “Hello, Mr. Takahashi! My name is Park Hana, heir of Sky Luxury Hotels.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter