Chapter XV: the return

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 15

__

 

Hana rubbed her eyes in confusion as she stared at the blurry figures in front of her bed, “What is going on?” The five figures became clear and she gasped, covering herself with her comforter, “What are you guys doing here?!”

Kyungsoo blinked at the girl, “I didn’t think you’d be one to wear Hello Kitty pajamas to sleep.” She flushed red, pulling the blanket up to her chin, “How did you all get in here?”

“Miss Kim let us in,” Sehun grinned, flinging an arm around Kai’s shoulders, “Now get up! We’re going out today!” Hana tilted her head in confusion, “We? You guys want me to hang out with you guys?” 

They gave her an odd look as though she had gone insane, “Of course. Why wouldn’t we?” Hana’s heart melted, “But Baekhyun isn’t here.” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “So what? You don’t want to hang out with us since he’s not here?”

“No! That’s not what I meant!” Hana blurted, “I just thought you all were forced to be around me because of Baekhyun.” Suho frowned, “We’ve been hanging out with you because we thought you were our friend, aren’t you? Why would we need Baekhyun around then?”

A slow grin spread on Hana’s face, “Right.” Kai smiled and pulled the girl up, “Hurry and get ready! We’ll be waiting downstairs.” The stampede raced downstairs, playfully pushing each other. Hana grinned widely as she went into her private bathroom to get ready.

 

In light blue shorts and a white crop top, Hana hopped down with oversized sunglasses tucked in her wavy hair. The boys stood up and stared at her as she began to slip her converse on, “Hurry! Let’s go!” They snapped out of their daze and followed after her. Baekhyun, you lucky punk!

The group went to a bowling alley and sat down at an empty lane. As Chanyeol and Kai were putting names in, Suho was sitting beside Hana and the two were putting on their bowling shoes. Suho glanced at her while he was tying his shoe, “So, how are you and Baekhyun doing?”

Hana teased, “I’m sure you know already. He told me that you send him daily updates.” Suho coughed into his fist, “I retract my question.” She laughed and lightly pushed his shoulder as he chuckled. 

“Do you know when he’s coming back?” Hana asked, and the boy looked up in thought, “His father’s making him come back next week, I believe.” Her eyes shined, “Really? That’s wonderful!” Kyungsoo looked up from across the two and frowned, “I’m glad he’s coming back, really. But I also wish he could stay with his dad longer.”

Suho nodded in agreement. Hana blinked at the wide-eyed boy, “Is his dad not getting better?” Kyungsoo regretfully shook his head, “No, that’s why Baekhyun had to go over there so suddenly. They don’t know how much longer he truly has, so Baekhyun needed to learn about the business as soon as he could.”

 

Chanyeol strolled over with a light bowling ball in one hand and a heavier one in his other. He held out the lighter one in front of Hana, and the girl looked up in surprise. He held it out further and she grabbed it from him, the taller walking away without saying anything. The others blinked at the strange interaction as Chanyeol calmly placed his bowling ball on the middle console. 

“What was that?” Sehun asked, nudging the taller. Chanyeol simply shrugged and began to put on his wrist piece. Sehun pouted, “You’re acting suspicious, hyung!”

He rolled his eyes, “I’m just watching over her for Baekhyun.” Kai came over and raised an eyebrow, “I don’t think you can use that excuse anymore, hyung. I saw you sneaking a banana milk in her locker last week, too.”

“She’s been busy with her business stuff so I thought she’d appreciate it.” Chanyeol argued, “Sorry for being a good friend. Sue me.” Kai suspiciously eyed the boy, “You don’t do that stuff for us. Are you sure you see her as a friend?”

Chanyeol stiffened, and Sehun accusingly pointed at him, “A-ha! Come here! I’m gonna kick out your knees for real this time!” 

“Okay, fine!” Chanyeol hissed, pulling the two younger boys to the side, “I caught some feelings for her while our families were trying to set us up. So what? I’m not going to do anything about it, and I heard our engagement’s on hold now because her dad’s giving Baekhyun a chance when he comes back.”

Both Sehun and Kai’s jaws dropped. Sehun asked, “You like her?” Kai gasped, “And her douchebag dad is actually giving Baekhyun a chance?” Sehun slapped Kai’s shoulder, “That’s not the most surprising thing right now!”

Chanyeol sighed, running a hand through his hair, “I’ll get over her before Baekhyun comes back, I promise. Just give me this time to act like her guardian angel.” The boys sighed and glanced at each other before nodding. 

Hana called, “Chanyeol, Sehun, Kai! Come here quickly! We’re gonna start.” Chanyeol grinned, “Coming!” He grabbed the others’ arms and dragged them over as they guiltily glanced at one another.

//

After a fun-filled bowling session, the group decided

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter