Chapter X: the pressure

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10

__

 

Throughout the next two weeks, Baekhyun and Hana spent more time together, inside and outside of school. During the school day, Hana would be found hanging out with the boys during free time, and after classes, Baekhyun would take her on a small outing. Today, Baekhyun had suggested that the group go bowling, to which they all enthusiastically agreed. Looking forward to the end of the school day, Hana anxiously tapped the bottom of her pen against the desk, waiting for the clock to strike 3 pm.

As soon as the teacher dismissed the class, Hana gathered her belongings and sprinted to her locker. Baekhyun was already there, leaning against the metal as he scrolled through his phone. Hana widely grinned and ran up to him, covering his eyes with her slender hands, “Guess who?” Baekhyun pretended to ponder, “Kyungsoo? Only he would have such manly hands.”

“Hey!” Hana squealed, and the boy turned around, giving the girl a hug in greeting, “I’m kidding. How was class?” As she animatedly discussed the events that occurred in class, the two walked out of the school together and met up with the other five boys at the gate. 

“Finally! You two took forever!” Kai rolled his eyes, and Sehun nodded in agreement, crossing his arms across his chest. Before Baekhyun could come up with a witty response, the sound of high heels on pavement registered in their ears, and everyone turned to the right.

 

Hana gasped, “Mom! What are you doing here? Did you and father just get back today?” Mrs. Park smiled and pulled her sunglasses into her curled hair, “Hi honey! Are you done with school now? We finished business early and came home right away!"

She nodded, taking a step away from Baekhyun as a precaution. Darn, I wanted a few more days of freedom. He noticed that and grew disappointed. The boys all bowed at the presence of Hana’s mother, and she nodded in approval, “Hi, boys. Great to see you all.”

Suho smiled amiably, “Likewise, Mrs. Park. To what do we owe your presence at our school today?”

Mrs. Park did a double take and saw Chanyeol among the group, throwing a wink at Hana, who rolled her eyes in response, “Why, hello, Chanyeol! This is perfect timing, actually! Our families are going to go get lunch together.”

Chanyeol blinked in surprise, “Uh…” Hana frowned, “Already? You guys just got home. Don’t you want to rest a little?” Hana’s mother waved a nonchalant hand, “Business never rests!”

Hana released a heavy sigh, “We had plans already, mom.” She blinked in surprise, “Are you and Chanyeol going on a date?” 

“No!” Chanyeol blurted, and all eyes turned to him. He cleared his throat, “I mean, we all agreed to hang out together today. As a group.” Kyungsoo nodded in agreement.

Hana’s mother shook her head and grabbed the girl’s arm, “Sorry, she can’t join you all. She has obligations.” Before Hana could protest, her mother tugged on her arm and pulled her into the car. “Driver, to the restaurant.” The chauffeur nodded and easily merged onto the busy street. 

 

“Mom! How could you do that? You don’t get to make my plans for me,” Hana snapped, and her mother stared at her incredulously, “What do you mean by that, missy? These are important business plans that you must attend as heir of the company!”

Hana closed her eyes and rubbed her temples, “Lunch with your friends isn’t a business obligation for me, mom.”

Mrs. Park applied a clean layer of red lipstick while looking into her handheld mirror, “It’s about you and Chanyeol, so of course it’s a business obligation for you.”

Hana glared at her mother for the first time in her life, “My love life isn’t a business negotiation. I don’t like Chanyeol in that way! You can’t force me to marry someone I don’t love just for the sake of a business benefit-”

The girl was cut off by the loud nose of the mirror shutting close. Her mother looked at the girl with hard eyes, “Chanyeol is the best there is for you. He has good grades, a good future, and a good family. End of discussion.”

“Why is this coming out of nowhere? You all were fine with me being without a fiance until I graduated college. Why are you and father rushing everything right now all of a sudden?”

Her mother ignored her inquiry and turned her gaze out the window, “You’ve been talking back to us a lot more lately. I’m not sure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter