Chapter XIV: the agreement

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 14

__

 

Hana was walking down the hallway of the hotel headquarters with her father, the pair heading towards the spacious meeting room for the next scheduled event. Hana brushed off a piece of lint on her school uniform and looked up at her father, “How did the call go, father? Did they agree to work with us?”

Mr. Park paused and turned to her, “You knew it was Baekhyun, didn’t you?”

She meekly smiled, “Mr. Byun personally asked me to not tell you who it was.” He sighed, “We both agreed to the project. Baekhyun should be contacting you regarding the project soon.”

Hana beamed, “That’s wonderful news! Thank you father!”

Looking at her brightened facial expression, Mr. Park tilted his head, “Hana, are you happy?” She blinked at him in surprise, “E-Excuse me, dad?”

“Are you happy? Being in this position and having everything planned out by me?” He questioned, watching as she uncomfortably shifted her gaze to the ground. “Yes, I am very grateful for the opportunities you have provided me, father. I will continue to work hard.”

He softened, “I’m not scolding you. I just… Does that boy make you happy?”

Hana flushed red and put her palms over her cheeks, “Even if he did, it doesn’t matter to you, right?” Mr. Park furrowed his eyebrows, “What is that supposed to mean, honey?”

Hana bitterly smiled and dropped her hands, wringing them behind her back, “You want to marry me off to some other wealthy family that can have a strong business connection with you, don’t you? That’s why you’ve been trying to set me up with Chanyeol.”

Mr. Park was at a loss of words, and Hana simply went into the conference room first, “I’ll start setting up for the meeting, father.”

 

During the meeting, Mr. Park snuck glances at his daughter at his side. She was sitting with perfect posture, actively taking notes and participating in discussions. She would voice her opinion respectfully while also acknowledging the others’ views. His heart welled up proudly.

“You have a wonderful daughter, Park. Does she have a fiance yet? My nephew is looking for one.” His co-worker whispered, and Mr. Park stared at Hana as she laughed politely at a comment that was made. “Yes, she will have one soon.” Mr. Park mused, peeking at her phone on the table that vibrated with a notification from Baekhyun. 

//

Baekhyun was studying on a small table in his father’s hospital room while Mr. Byun was sitting in bed, reading a complicated book on international trades. Mr. Byun glanced over and frowned at the boy’s hunched position as he was solving a complicated calculus problem, his paper hanging over the edge of the table. Despite his discomfort, the boy never complained and Mr. Byun was grateful for his understanding nature.

Mr. Byun shut his book and attempted to stand up. Baekhyun heard the noise and rushed over, his books falling to the ground, “Father! What are you doing?”

His father tried to stand on his own but stumbled. Luckily, Baekhyun caught him and helped him into the wheelchair at the bedside, “Do you need something, father?”

“Let’s go on a walk.” Mr. Byun suggested and Baekhyun smiled, wheeling his father out of the room and leaving the books forgotten on the ground.

 

“The weather is so great today. Don’t you want to go out and do stuff, Baekhyun?” Mr. Byun questioned, and the boy shook his head, “I’d rather be here with you.”

“I think you’ve learned enough from me now, son,” Mr. Byun suddenly said, “And I think you’ve attended enough business meetings to understand the flow.”

“And?” Baekhyun questioned, staring down at his father as he continued to push the wheelchair down a path between trees that were blooming.

“You should go back to Korea and get started. I’ll send Mr. Kim with you as well.” Mr. Byun cautiously stated, looking back at the boy in worry.

Baekhyun’s face dropped, “Already? But I’ve only been here with you about a month. I can stay and learn more-” Mr. Byun placed a cold hand on the boy’s strong one, and Baekhyun hurriedly grabbed onto his hand as the man interrupted, “Son, I’ll be okay.”

Baekhyun began to tear up and went in front of his father, kneeling down and holding both of his hands between his warm ones, “I’ve been so busy attending meetings here that I haven’t spent enough time with you yet. I want to take you out to places but you’ve been too ill to leave the hospital. I can’t leave you yet, father.”

Mr. Byun sighed, looking away from the boy’s vulnerable state, “You have to, Baekhyun. I don’t want you here when I continue to get worse. I know you won’t leave unless I push you to. Your mother is always here helping me, too.”

Baekhyun began to blubber like a child, his tears streaming down his face, “Please, father. I can’t go, not like this. I haven’t repaid you for everything you’ve done for me yet. I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter