Chapter XXXV: the banquet pt. 1

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 35

__

Hold on. Is that… a wreath full of pink roses?

 

As Hana is listening to the CEO of a large furniture company, she can’t help but have her interest piqued at the sight of multiple men carrying large wreaths of flowers into the hotel. She tries to focus on the man’s words about stock prices dropping (she could honestly care less), nodding her head in agreement and tossing in small remarks of understanding, but the only thing on her mind is why the heck are these men carrying these into the hotel? 

She cranes her neck and sees other men carrying various arrangements out of the back of a large white van, varying from roses to carnations to daisies. She’s quite awed but more than confused, because her father never orders flowers to be arranged and there was not a single word to her about this before the event.

 

“So, Hana, enough about me!” The man clears his throat, fixing the tie around his neck, “How were your studies in America?”

Her attention is drawn back to the pairs of piercing eyes staring into her soul, the envy and bitterness hidden underneath their fake smiles dripping with honey. She feels vulnerable, as if anything she says can be used against her.

 

But Hana won’t let that happen. She’s been trained too thoroughly to let her flaws be seen on the surface so easily.

 

She plasters a bright smile on her face and holds her hands behind her back, “It was wonderful, I was able to learn so many great things. That is so kind of you to ask. How is your son doing?”

At the mention of a real topic of interest for the man, he brightens and goes on another tangent. Hana’s relieved, dropping her defense and allowing her mind to wander back to the sight of the beautiful flowers that she can’t wait to see inside the ballroom.

 

//

 

“These scallops are really good,” Sehun excitedly announces, his mouth full of said food and both hands holding plates filled with a variety of delectable dishes and desserts.

Kai scrunches his face up in distaste, brushing off a crumb from Sehun’s suit, “Gross. Act more sophisticated, will you?”

Suho rubs the back of his neck with an apologetic smile when the younger pouts in his direction, “Sorry, Sehun. Kai’s right this time."

Sehun grumbles and sticks his nose in the air, walking away towards another table filled with desserts that was just pushed into the ballroom.

Kyungsoo glances around, “Where’s Baekhyun?”

“Over there. Oh, and now he’s going over there. Actually, he’s going right over… there!” Kai points at the brunette rushing around the room, showing the men with the wreaths where to set up the arrangements. They watch him, amused, as he taps the toe of his dress shoe against the hardwood floor in thought.

 

“You know what? I’m so sorry. I think this would look better in the other corner of the room.” Baekhyun points. The men nod in agreement and move the arrangements of daisies next to the table of entrees. 

The next pair of men come up to the boy, and he immediately directs them to the front of the room next to the main table, “Those should go right over there, please! Those are her favorite flowers.”

He picks up an arrangement sitting on the main table where Hana’s seat is designated, and he runs his hand across the soft petal. He gently turns the vase, trying to make it look perfect, when two sets of footsteps come up to him.

 

He glances up and immediately bows at the sight of Mr. and Mrs. Park, “Oh! Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Park. You both look wonderful tonight.”

Mrs. Park smiles and pats his shoulder, “Thank you, dear. You as well. I like your new hair. The silver was a little out of this world. Well, actually, Hana’s is silver now, isn’t it?”

Mr. Park rolls his eyes playfully, “We get it, honey.”

She makes a face and slaps her husband. Baekhyun laughs at the lighthearted interaction.

Mr. Park glances around and looks at the busy men who are setting up a plethora of floral arrangements, wreaths, and bouquets around the room, “Well, you definitely went beyond my expectations.”

Baekhyun bows at the compliment, “Thank you, sir. I tried my best.”

Hana’s father gently his thumb across a pink rose, “Why did you choose these ones?”

“They’re Hana’s favorite. I used to get them for her all the time,” Baekhyun softly smiles, reminiscing. Mr. Park analyzes his expression, “Hmm. I didn’t even know she had a favorite flower. Shows you what kind of father I am.”

 

Baekhyun’s surprised at the bitter response. The boy looks up and sees a small smile on the man’s face as he says, “I don’t think I ever took time to ask her these kinds of things. I just make sure she’s making the family look good.”

Baekhyun twists his lips in thought before cautiously replying, “She understands. That’s why she’s so willing to put on a face and talk about things she doesn’t really care about with people she could care less about.”

Mr. Park definitely wasn’t expecting that answer. He stares at the boy in surprise. Baekhyun continues softly, “She’s so selfless and that’s what is so special about her. She would rather suffer in silence than burden others with how she really feels.”

Mrs. Park smiles, “You know her so well, don’t you?”

Baekhyun chuckles, “I try to.”

Mr. Park pats Baekhyun’s shoulder and the boy looks up. The man smiles genuinely, “You’re a good kid, you know that? I’m glad it’s you.”

With his cryptic message, he leads Mrs. Park away and goes off to mingle with other guests in the party. Baekhyun’s shoulders droop at the reminder that he lost such a precious person.

 

//

 

As soon as the last guest she was tas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter