Chapter XXV: the loss

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 25

__

 

After the return from spring break, the sky seems to have gotten clearer and the sun seems to shine a bit brighter. Their days are filled with exuberant smiles and contagious laughter, with the occasional slaps from Chanyeol out of excitement. The seven of them roam the halls of the school together and eat their scrumptious lunches at the same table (Kyungsoo cooks his signature dishes occasionally and Hana surprises them with little baked treats). Off campus, they spend their time exploring the city and embarking on fun adventures. Most recently, they all went to the amusement park (while Sehun was having the time of his life on the Viking ride, Kai looked like he wanted to hurl). They even had sleepovers together, rotating between each person’s house throughout the week (today was going to be at Suho’s house but yesterday’s was at Baekhyun’s, and tomorrow was scheduled for Chanyeol’s mansion).

Hana and Baekhyun were growing closer than ever, too. They understood each other without using words and even though they were significantly busier than they were when they first started dating, they made sure to spare some time for the other. Plus, Baekhyun started sending morning text messages again.

 

Everything was falling into place perfectly.

 

Everyone was gathered in the second floor loft of Suho’s mansion. There were sleeping bags and pillows scattered on the ground. Sehun was arguing with Kai regarding positioning (they both wanted to be at the end) and Kyungsoo was reading a book from his comfortable spot. Hana was squished between Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s empty sleeping bag, since the boy had gone to the restroom to brush his teeth. Suho was on the other end of the sleeping arrangement, applying moisturizer onto his perfect skin.

Baekhyun’s phone suddenly began to ring from his set up, and Hana sat up on her elbows to retrieve the device. The name Mr. Kim flashes across the screen. Chanyeol glances over and calls, “Baekhyun, your phone’s ringing.”

“You guys can answer it,” Baekhyun replies, voice muffled from the toothpaste in his mouth and electric noises exuding from the toothbrush. He awkwardly leans over the sink as he tries to catch the dribbles of water running down his chin.

 

Hana taps the screen and places the phone against her ear, “Hello, Mr. Kim! This is Hana. Baekhyun’s in the restroom right now.”

Mr. Kim sounds unusually panicked, “Hana, hello. Baekhyun’s in the restroom? Tell him to hurry. It’s urgent. I need to speak with him right now.” The whole room became quiet as they all stared at the girl.

At his rushed voice, Hana immediately threw her blanket off her body and stood up, “Of course. I’ll go let him know.”

Baekhyun steps into the room at that moment and he blinks at the sudden silent atmosphere, “What’s going on?”

Hana holds out the phone, eyebrows furrowed in worry, “Mr. Kim said he needs to talk to you immediately.”

Baekhyun snatches the phone and gives the girl’s hand a squeeze in appreciation as he answers, “Mr. Kim? Is everything okay?”

 

Suddenly, everything seems to fall apart.

 

Baekhyun’s face falls at the news and he almost collapses on the floor, had Suho not been there to catch him. His hand falls to his side, phone uselessly falling to the ground with a loud thud. Chanyeol rushes over and helps Suho move the boy to the couch. The taller worriedly puts his hands on his shoulders and peers into his lifeless eyes, “What’s going on?”

Hana comes over and sits next to Baekhyun, holding his hand in hers. Baekhyun’s stare remains distant as the rest of the boys gather around the couch, worriedly staring at the boy. As if they know what is going to be said, they hold their breaths and don’t dare to ask.

Baekhyun whispers, barely audible as if he can’t believe it himself, “My dad is gone.”

//

Baekhyun can’t believe how quickly things can change within a short frame of time. Just weeks ago, he was in his father’s hospital room and joking with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter