Chapter XXXII: the memories

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 32

__

As soon as the hostess leads the group of 7 to a table in the back of the restaurant, Hana and Baekhyun glare at each other as they pull out the chairs at the complete opposite ends of the table. Sehun plops himself down next to Hana and Chanyeol takes a spot in the neutral middle. Kai sits next to Baekhyun with a warily look while Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, sitting down across from Chanyeol. 

Suho takes his reserved spot at the head of the table and grins as he lifts up the menu, “So what’re you guys gonna get?”

After scanning the menu for a few moments, Chanyeol decides, “I think I’m gonna get pizza.”

Sehun nods in agreement, “Same.”

“I’m feeling the hamburger,” Kai exclaims, rubbing his flat abdomen.

At the same time, Hana and Baekhyun say, “I’m gonna get the shrimp pasta.” The table falls silent as the two gape at each other across the table.

“Gross. I don’t want it anymore,” Hana frowns.

Baekhyun’s eyebrow twitches in annoyance, “Ugh, me neither.”

Sehun blinks between the two for a moment before turning to Hana and nudging her side, “Hey, since he’s not getting it anymore, you can get it.”

“You’re right!” Hana’s eyes shine, “Sehun, my friend, you are a genius.”

Baekhyun’s jaw drops and he picks up his menu, “No way! I’m totally getting it then!”

Hana’s eyes narrow in challenge. Baekhyun sticks his tongue out at her. Immediately, they both shoot up from their seats and try to get the attention of the waiter. The entire group groans, “Seriously?”

 

Unfortunately, Hana’s order gets taken first (“Ladies first, Baekhyun,” Suho chides) and Baekhyun ends up sulking in his seat and ordering a plate of chicken tenders. He hates how she glances at him for a split second and sticks her tongue out before turning away, engaging in an entertaining conversation with Sehun at her side. He hates, even more, how he can feel little butterflies in his stomach at her childish action. He must seriously be going crazy to be feeling this kind of way for a girl who’s making it painstakingly obvious that she’s upset at him.

He glances at Chanyeol, who’s mindlessly scrolling through his phone, and wonders why the taller isn’t sitting next to Hana and flirting with her. In fact, why does he look so unbothered by her presence? Baekhyun watches as Hana takes a sip of water and glances at the others around the table (purposely skipping over him) before her eyes land on Chanyeol’s distracted figure. She wads up the wrapper from her straw and lightly tosses it at him. Wow, this jealousy thing is getting kind of old. It hits the giant on the cheek and he rolls his eyes as he tosses it back, but his attention returns to a game that he pulls up on his phone within seconds.

 

The entire lunch is filled with laughter and conversation. As Sehun continues to drawl on about a situation he encountered when he took Vivi on a walk the other day, Hana takes a bite of her creamy pasta, the rich sauce sticking onto her plump lips. She wipes at with a napkin, but a small portion remains on the edge of her lips.

After Baekhyun nibbles on his chicken tender, he notices Hana laughing along with the rest of the table. The smudge of sauce on her lips appears to be only noticeable to him, so he hands Kai a napkin and nudges his side, “Hey, give this to Hana.”

“Huh?” Kai looks over for a split second before taking a bite of his burger, “My hands are dirty. You do it, hyung.”

She’s not gonna take it if it’s from me, dummy. Baekhyun frowns and tries to get Suho’s attention, but unfortunately, his focus is diverted to the delectable plate of lobster macaroni and cheese. When the conversation breaks off into separate topics, Baekhyun gently clears his throat and says, “Hey, Hana.”

He watches as the girl’s shoulders stiffen for a second, pondering whether she should respond or not. She resumes to lift her fork to her lips, so Baekhyun rolls his eyes and calls once more, “Hana.”

She finally puts her fork down and looks up at him with an annoyed expression, “What, Baekhyun?”

He holds out the extra napkin and looks away, “You, uh, have some sauce on your lips.”

Upon the news, Hana immediately covers with her hand while reaching over to take the napkin from him, “Oh… Uh, thanks.”

Kai’s arm “accidentally” bumps against Hana’s as she’s reaching her arm out, causing her hand to brush over Baekhyun’s. Snickers erupt from the boy’s mouth and Hana flushes red, immediately pulling away and sitting back down in her seat. The tips of Baekhyun’s ears heat up at the touch. For the remainder of the meal, the two refuse to meet eyes.

 

//

 

Hana has a lot to think about on her way home. As she’s cruising down the streets from Junmyeon’s mansion after having returned there with the boys after lunch, she’s mesmerized by the beautiful hues of pink and orange painting the horizon. She has her windows rolled down and soft music pulsing through her radio. She smiles. Now this is the Korea that I missed. 

A sigh escapes her lips after a few moments. She’s a little more than bummed out at the interaction with Baekhyun today. Honestly, she wasn’t expecting his harsh reaction to seeing her at the mansion. If anything, she t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter