Chapter XXX: the encounter

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 30

__

“Oh, you’re out of town right now?”

“I’m sorry, honey. We had a last minute call so we had to leave for Spain right away. But We’ll be back before you even know it!” Mrs. Park cheerfully explains.

Hana pouts and pushes her sunglasses into her silver-ombre hair. Before she can mutter a whine, she heaves a sigh before maturely responding, “Alright. Have a safe trip.”

As she reached her finger across the screen to end the call, she hears her father on the other end frantically, “Wait, Hana!”

She blinks in surprise and puts the phone back up to her ear, “Yes, dad?”

“Sorry I can’t be there to pick you up,” He apologizes. Before she can reassure him, his voice suddenly brightens as he announces, “But don’t worry, I’ve entrusted a great young man to take you back home.”

“Who? Your secretary?” Hana asks, glancing around the airport. She sees people bustling by but doesn’t recognize the man who always wears black suits and has an earpiece in, “I don’t see him.”

Her father chuckles, “You’ll see. It’s someone you’re quite fond of.”

Hana’s heart slightly drops. Even though she hasn’t spoken to him in two months and hasn’t revealed the break up to her family, the first person that pops into her mind is Baekhyun. But it’d be impossible. Right?

Hana clears and shakes her head to rid herself of any wishful thinking. Of course it wouldn’t be Baekhyun. He’s too busy in Japan and he’s probably already over her. Heck, maybe he ended up dating Hyeri. Hana’s shoulders droop at the thought but she quickly plasters a bright smile on her face as she asks, “Who?”

“Oops, gotta go! Bye honey, tell us when you get home!”

 

Hana’s question is left up in the air as the end of the call is signaled with a small beep. The girl pouts before tucking her phone into the pocket of her oversized cardigan, dragging her suitcase towards the main entrance of the airport. She continues glancing around, hoping to find someone she recognizes, but all she sees are blurs of faces.

She feels a little anxious walking through the massive airport alone. She remembers the time that she had departed for America, with five of the boys at her side. As she smiles gently and reminisces on the past (making a mental note to herself to visit them as soon as she drops off her luggage at home), she bumps into someone dressed in white dress shirt and navy blue slacks. 

“I’m so sorry,” The two quickly blurt out.

At the voice of the other party, Hana scrunches her eyebrows together in thought. She knows this voice so well, it has been haunting her for the last few months. Has she really gone crazy enough for these hallucinations to follow her across the globe? But she recognizes this scent, this cologne that smells distinctly of-

“Baekhyun?” 

 

As she looks up, she meets eyes with said boy, who has an equally surprised expression plastered on his (handsome) features. His hair has been dyed a light brown shade, and Hana could almost laugh at how the two appear to have swapped hair colors from the last time they spoke to each other.

“Hana,” he breathes out, breaking her out of her daze.

It’s silent for a few moments as they stare at each other. Although they hadn’t spoken since that dreadful phone call that one night, Hana swears that her heart beats so loud that it could almost leap from her chest as she hears him call her name. Not a single day went by where she didn’t think about him - wonder if he was doing well, how his work was going, if he was eating properly. He looks so entranced, as though this is a dream, and Hana can’t help but wonder if he’s been thinking of her as much as she has been with him.

 

A warm smile spreads across his lips as he takes a step closer to her, wheeling his suitcase behind him, “Wow, what a surprise.”

He glances at her own pink suitcase at her side, “Did you just return from the States?”

She nods and opens to reply, but deciding to not say anything at the last minute, she awkwardly closes her lips and nods once more. Oh my God, Park Hana. You are such a loser.

She wrings her hands behind her back, hoping that he doesn’t notice how shaky she is, “And you? You’re finally back from Japan?”

He lets out a small chuckle as he runs his hand through his hair, “Yeah, it took a bit of work but I finalized everything over there.”

She swears she sees a hopeful glint in his eyes as he says, “I’m back for good now.”

 

Hana’s heart skips a beat at the shy smile he throws her way. She’s not sure why she’s acting like this. After the break up, she had sworn that the moment she saw him again, she would tell him off. She would tell him all the crap she’s had to put up with because of him. She would tell him of the countless nights she wasted while waiting for him to send a useless message that was devoid of love or emotion. She would tell him that he didn’t deserve her in the first place. 

 

But now that he’s right in front of her, she suddenly feels her entire body on fire and all she can hear is her heart racing in her chest. 

//

Baekhyun can’t believe that she’s standing in front of him right now. He can’t believe that the girl that’s been on his mind non-stop since he spewed hurtful and unnecessary words to her is before him, her hair drastically changed but her entire presence still emitting the same beauty that he fell in love with. He had tried to contact her afterwards, but she had made it very clear that she was through with his games. She had even blocked him on all social media, ignoring his texts and calls.

After Sehun and Kai had returned from their trip, it took them weeks before they would finally answer his calls. He had listened to them yell at him endlessly for hours, crying because of how much pain they felt as they witnessed the hole that Hana had fallen into after his harsh words. 

They told him of the fake smiles she plastered on all throughout the day, only to be crying herself to sleep at night at 4 AM. They told him of her whines that they would hear throughout the night, sounding as though she was in so much pain as she experienced nightmares. They told him of her grades slipping afterwards, and as she tried to pull herself out of this hole, she had to drag everything that she once was along with her. The worst part, though, was when they revealed that the girl never once uttered a single word of the break up to her family. Whenever her parents would call and ask, Sehun and Kai explained that she would fake a smile and make up sweet stories of their relationship. And they knew it killed her every time. That’s why she began to ignore calls from her parents, no matter how much she missed their voices.

He doesn’t know exactly why he had exploded that night. He was stressed, of course, but that was no excuse to treat his girlfriend like . It was such a trivial matter that he’s so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter