Chapter 6

Acquired Taste

We honestly would like to thank you for all the positive things you said to us.

Seems like Chapter 5 was a big winner for you, a lot of reactions on that one!

Thank you so much, it means everything <3

Enjoy this chapter ~ :3

- K.

THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE SO DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE NEXT CHAPTER !

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Christmas was just around the corner, and the weather was so cold that every time he put a foot outside, Baekhyun felt like dying. He was more than happy to receive a big and warm scarf from his mom as soon as he stepped inside the house on the first day of his Christmas break. He was in his room, at his parents’ house, painting on a canvas for his school project. In the middle of painting a straight line, focused and serious, he heard his phone chiming on the nightstand. He sighed, happily leaving his brush behind — he really hated this project — and he quickly walked over to his bed, sitting on it and grabbing his phone.

 

 

From PCYuck: merry christmas, mr byun. heard you’re invited to minseok’s party – will i see your average there?

 

He chuckled, typing an answer quickly.

 

From Baekhyun: merry christmas, mr park. i am, yes, I suppose jongdae begged him.

 

From Baekhyun: should i come?

 

From PCYuck: depends

 

From PCYuck: do you want to see one of the hottest designers of the decade?

 

From Baekhyun: i’m more into seeing my dear professor being drunk and making out with his boyfriend

 

From Baekhyun: and presents too.

 

From PCYuck: gets boring after the 10th time honestly

 

From PCYuck: what presents

 

From Baekhyun: maybe they’re not that good, someone should teach them

 

From Baekhyun: late Christmas presents

 

Baekhyun had no idea why he was doing this. Flirting and asking for more. He just couldn’t get himself to stop. And Chanyeol didn’t help him at all.

 

 

From PCYuck: wanna show ‘em how it’s done?

 

From PCYuck: cute you think you’ll get any, darling

 

From Baekhyun: you tell me

 

From Baekhyun: well i did give you a birthday present mr park

 

From PCYuck: didn’t know it was a tying agreement

 

From PCYuck: literally the best pun i ever made

 

From PCYuck: i’ll think about it darling, have you earned it?

 

From Baekhyun: oh wow you’re a nerd i’m shook

 

From Baekhyun: well i sure have, all my mintblueish projects are done already

 

From PCYuck: i’m not

 

From PCYuck: taking that into consideration in my calculations then

 

From PCYuck: i’ll check you on my good boy scale

 

From Baekhyun: oh how lucky i am

 

From PCYuck: go back to your family, darling, while i continue to pour scary amounts of wine into myself

 

Baekhyun chuckled. Maybe he did miss the man a bit during the two weeks they haven’t heard from each other.

 

From PCYuck: see you at the party

 

From Baekhyun: goodbye, mr park

 

-*:.-*-.:*-

 

Baekhyun wasn’t sure how it happened exactly but it turned out that during one of his casual talks with Jongdae, he somehow agreed to come earlier to Minseok’s house and help with all the preparations. Now, he found himself hanging the streamers on the lamps, while his dear best friend rambled about his Christmas break to him and his boyfriend, who was in the middle of making pizza rolls. He saw Jongdae glancing at him from time to time. The boy was clearly worried about him lately, especially since Park Chanyeol stepped in their house and left in the late evening without saying much about what he’d done there. Jongdae asked Baekhyun a few questions, trying to be as delicate as he could but he surrendered after some time, not being able to get any information out of him. He knew his best friend often gave him furtive looks, furrowing his brows as if he tried to read something from his face, and eyed the painting, which still hung above their table.

 

“What time are people coming?” Baekhyun asked, pushing his fringe away from his eyes. He really only wanted to know when Park Chanyeol would be there.

 

"Around 7 PM, we have lots of time," Minseok smiled from his spot in the open kitchen. Jongdae turned his head to give him an affectionate look and smiled when he noticed flour on his boyfriend's cheeks. They dated for a month and a half but fell into their adorable daily routines so fast it felt like they were together for at least a year. Jongdae came up to the man to take the flour off his face and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

 

“I see,” he came down from the chair he was standing on and looked at Jongdae. “Should I go change then?”

 

"I guess you can but it's still over an hour. We still have balloons to blow!" Jongdae smiled excitedly. "Min, what do I do now?"

 

"Hmm… How about you call Chanyeol for me? He's supposed to bring the paper cups and plates and I just wanted to remind him about it," Minseok smiled and Baekhyun didn't miss the way he glanced up at him.

 

"Yeah, sure. I'll do that and help you with toppings later, hm?"

 

Baekhyun loved seeing them together. It could give anyone hope. He walked up to Minseok and asked what else he could do to help him.

 

"I forgot about one thing. Can you please finish my playlist? I started it but I forgot to add the rest. Just choose stuff we can dance to, hm?" Minseok smiled, pointing to his phone on the counter.

 

“Consider it done,” Baekhyun smiled happily and went to grab the phone. He wouldn’t say he was impatient, but something clearly was making his heart beat a bit faster.

 

He waited for this to happen but Chanyeol's voice booming through the flat about fifteen minutes later surprised him nevertheless.

 

"Hi, homouals, how are you doing?" he jumped into the living room excitedly, one large box in his hands. "Oh, Baek… Mr. Byun, hi," he smiled, a bit perplexed.

 

“Hi,” Baekhyun answered, keeping his smile to himself. It felt a bit too good to see him like this, he realized. Chanyeol placed the box on the counter, greeting Minseok and saying hi to Jongdae and went up to Baekhyun, curled up on the couch, with a wide grin.

 

"Good to see you, sir," he tilted his head playfully, crouching in front of Baekhyun. "Didn't expect you so early here."

 

“I’m a really great friend, so I came early to help with the preparations. Of course, you know everything about being a good friend, right?” He said cheekily. He wanted to touch him already. Oh, how much he had missed him.

 

"Any doubts about that?" the man smiled, looking into his eyes and sitting next to him, their shoulders touching. He fished out his phone, writing a text and glanced at Baekhyun. "Hm?"

 

“I didn’t say anything,” Baekhyun answered, looking straight in front of him. He wasn’t going to be the one to talk to him first, no matter how much he missed him. Probably because of how much he missed the guy. Chanyeol hummed in response and turned to him, his breath warm on his cheek.

 

"So, how was your Christmas, Mr. Byun?"

 

“It was pretty good,” he answered almost whispering. “I missed my parents and my brother.” He turned his head to him. “What about you, Mr. Park? Not that I really care, of course.” He smiled softly.

 

"Of course, Mr. Byun," Chanyeol rolled his eyes and returned the smile. "It was cool, I spent it mostly with my friends, so we finally had time to catch up a bit," he rested his arm on the backrest behind Baekhyun. "But now I'm back to my job as a designer and a part-time babysitter," he said, looking at the boy pointedly.

 

“Do you think you’re doing a good job with that brat, Mr. Park?”

 

"I hope I do. Any remarks regarding our collaboration, Mr. Byun?" Chanyeol purred, right by Baekhyun's ear. Minseok and Jongdae were talking in the kitchen, preparing the food, their backs turned to the living room. Baekhyun shivered, still trying his best not to show how much Park Chanyeol affected him.

 

“The only thing I have to say is this," he smiled, turning his head and looking at him right in the eye, “it’s finally ending and I won’t have to see you ever again, old man.” Christmas break had been long and confusing. Baekhyun couldn’t stop thinking about Park Chanyeol, his lips, his chest, his voice. The effect the man had on the student was something new to Baekhyun, and he didn’t know how to deal with it. He couldn’t keep going like this, and after a few weeks of thinking, he had put his thoughts in order. Park Chanyeol wouldn’t have any effect on him anymore. Byun Baekhyun swore to himself, after that last conversation they had on Christmas Eve. Park Chanyeol would be soon gone and Baekhyun would forget him, as if he never was a part of his life. Yet here he was, ten minutes in and already playing his role, purring and shamelessly flirting. Baekhyun was being the brat Chanyeol wanted him to be. There went his resolutions for the new year; out the window, as soon as the man had put a foot inside the flat.

 

"Are you trying to tell me you won't miss me?" Chanyeol blinked with a pout. They were sitting so close to each other their noses were almost touching. Baekhyun pushed back slightly, looking at him.

 

“Why would I?” he tilted his head a little. “Do I ever?” he smiled, politely.

 

"You tell me."

 

“Well, I don’t want to disappoint you, but the answer is no, Mr. Park.”

 

Chanyeol fluttered his eyelashes exaggeratedly.

 

"But you asked for a Christmas gift from me?"

 

“Did I?” He raised an eyebrow. Park Chanyeol was acting really different from usual, and he had no idea how to deal with this.

 

"Is your amnesia bothering you again?" the man raised an eyebrow. Baekhyun chuckled and turned his body completely towards Chanyeol.

 

“I’m listening then, what’s my Christmas gift?”

 

"And how good you were this year?"

 

“I was really good,” he tilted his head and Chanyeol smiled wickedly. “I even gave a gift to someone I hate.”

 

"Admirable," the man's fingers brushed his knee and Baekhyun couldn’t keep himself from wanting more. "You can even receive a reward for that, but do you want to get it here?"

 

“Probably not,” he probably shouldn’t get his present at all. Chanyeol smirked and leaned in to give him a small playful kiss on the lips and stood up.

 

"Right. You don't," he winked. "I'll help Minseok, people are gonna come soon." Baekhyun looked up at him, disappointed, yet he couldn’t say he was surprised.

 

“Yes, go be a good friend, Mr. Park.” he answered, tilting his head a little and sliding his tongue between his lips.

 

"Mean," Chanyeol quirked an eyebrow, glancing at his lips and making his way to the kitchen. He patted Minseok on the shoulder, asking him a question Baekhyun didn't hear and opening the fridge to pass him something. The student looked at him move around the kitchen, joking around with his friend and just being himself, a 27-year-old guy having fun and being alive. He wasn’t used to this at all. It was a sight he quite liked, and it felt like he couldn’t keep his eyes away from him as Chanyeol burst into laughter because of Minseok. A while later, Jongdae joined him on the couch with a smirk on his lips.

 

"Your eyes will pop, dude." Baekhyun looked at him, frowning.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

"You're staring," he pointed at the boys in the kitchen, laughing at something, while Minseok placed the ready rolls on a baking tray and Chanyeol unpacked the paper cups, organizing them on the counter. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and looked away from Chanyeol, now looking at Jongdae.

 

“Yeah, you’re right, I’m staring at your boyfriend ‘cause he’s hot.”

 

"Yeah, sure. Just kiss him already." Already did, he thought.

 

“Oh, so I can kiss Minseok? Neat!” Baekhyun said, standing up with a smile.

 

"You know exactly who I'm talking about, you ," Jongdae rolled his eyes. He couldn't remember how long it lasted but he knew something was up and just waited for Baekhyun to finally admit it.

 

“All I know is that you’re saying stupid .” he sat down again. His friend scoffed.

 

"Yeah, sure," he murmured, a bit disappointed. "I just hope that one day you'll tell me what the hell is your deal with this guy," he sighed.

 

“My deal is that I’m working with him and I can’t stand it.” he wished he had a better answer to give Jongdae, he knew his best friend didn’t like this, Baekhyun not talking to him. They always shared everything. He just couldn’t explain their relationship to Jongdae. Not when he himself had absolutely no idea what was really going on.

 

"Yeah, but what about you staring at him for weeks and him sleeping in your room that one day? It's strange and I'm worried," he shook his head.

 

“I already told you, Dae, we were talking about work and we eventually fell asleep, it happens…” he saw the disappointment, and probably of bit of hurt on his friend’s face, and he wanted to tell him everything. He wished he could.

 

"He wouldn't fall asleep in your bed if you were talking about work, ."

 

"Why don't you just tell Jongdae that Park Chanyeol is actually cool?" the black-haired man stood behind them, poking Baekhyun's cheek. Minseok sat down next to Jongdae, placing a small kiss on his jaw.

 

"Everything's ready. We can all relax for about half an hour," he announced, closing his eyes.

 

“Because I don’t like to lie to him.” Baekhyun answered before standing up. “If everything’s ready, I’ll go change."

 

"Is the painting still hanging your kitchen, though?" Chanyeol asked, immediately taking his place.

 

"It is," Jongdae glanced at Baekhyun. His friend rolled his eyes and went to grab his backpack.

 

“It still not you.” he said to Chanyeol before leaving the room.

 

"I saw it, wanna compare it to the original?!" the man shouted behind him, chuckling.

 

“I’d rather die than see you half- one more time!” Baekhyun shouted back, closing the door behind him and changing into proper clothes. He came out about 40 minutes later, when people were already invading the place and sipping their drinks at the kitchen counter. Baekhyun was wearing a loose blue, black and red graphic tee, paired with a jacket in similar colors and a simple pair of jeans hugging his legs prettily. His clothes were simple so he could play with accessories and make-up. This was a trick from Jongdae. The simpler the clothes, the more you could play with the rest. Well, the guy also said it and do what pleases you. He was wearing a pretty simple black choker with words all over it, and he did his make up to go with his clothes, a discreet but beautiful burgundy smokey and two blue lenses to highlight his eyes. Baekhyun’s look was simple, but he was satisfied with it. Even more when he noticed people looking at him.

 

"No way, we had no idea you were gonna be here!" Baekhyun suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around to see Wheein. "Hi, baby! It's so great to see you!" He smiled happily, hugging her tightly and smiling at Yongsun, who was standing just behind her.

 

“I’m so happy to see you too, it’s been so long!”

 

“It has! Last time we couldn’t even say goodbye,” Yongsun pouted cutely as she took him in his arms once he let go of Wheein.

 

"Yeah, you both went out so quickly… Is everything fine, though?" Wheein asked, smiling sheepishly. "Yeol wouldn't even tell Moonbyul what happened, and we were worried about you…" Baekhyun was thankful Chanyeol had not said anything, he wasn’t sure he’d be able to deal with the looks and comments.

 

“Everything is fine, I’m sorry if you guys were worried…” he smiled sheepishly, “it’s all good.” Yongsun smiled and kissed his cheek.

 

“You look so beautiful tonight, baby!” she exclaimed. “You usually are super cute with your paint-stained clothes and your hair a mess, but right now you’re just amazingly beautiful!” He blushed a bit.

 

“You guys look amazing too, honestly.”

 

Both girls smiled at him, Wheein waving to someone behind him. Moonbyul joined them a minute later. She wore a casual red dress, sticking out in the crowded room.

 

"Hi, Baekhyun! Long time no see!"

 

“Hi, Moonbyul!” he smiled brightly, happy to see her, happy to see them all, really. “You look beautiful,” he told her, pointing at the dress. He wasn’t used to seeing her in dresses. Moonbyul usually liked to wear jeans, showing off her long legs.

 

"Thank you! You look great too, that's a new look on you!" the girl returned the smile, scanning his outfit. "Even the make-up… damn, Byun!" Baekhyun chuckled, cheeks a bit red.

 

“Thank you, I’m glad you like it.”

 

"I'm sure everyone will," she smiled lopsidedly. Wheein gave her a look and Yongsun nudged her with her elbow.

 

"Oh, Byullie, let him live."

 

“You’re the worst, Byul.” Yongsun said, smiling at Baekhyun.

 

"You sure are. Hi, babes!" Chanyeol joined their little circle, pecking Moonbyul's cheek. "How are you do… doing?" he stuttered when he looked up at Baekhyun. His expression quickly went back to normal but Baekhyun didn't miss the way Chanyeol eyed him. He tried to hide his smile, looking down so no one would see him, only listening to the girls talk with Chanyeol.

 

“Well, I’m just gonna go grab a drink, you guys want something?” Yongsun said after a while, smiling that beautiful smile of hers. Baekhyun looked up and shook his head no, smiling back. His now blue eyes glanced at Chanyeol for a few seconds before looking back at Yongsun.

 

"Thank you, babe. So, Mr. Byun," Chanyeol turned to him, when the girl left their little circle. "Any New Year resolutions?" he smiled his pretty, boyish smile, swirling his wine glass in his long fingers.

 

“Some, what about you, Mr. Park?” He looked at him straight in the eye.

 

"I could give you the same evasive answer, sir. Would you kindly elaborate?" Chanyeol held his gaze. He smirked when he saw Moonbyul rolling her eyes in the corner of his eye.

 

“I didn’t think you’d care, sir.” he smiled politely. The man raised his eyebrows.

 

"Let me decide. So?"

 

“Well, I’ve decided to stop showing up late in class.” and to stop seeing you, but he couldn’t exactly say that to him, could he?

 

Wheein laughed out loud, almost spilling her drink.

 

"Oh my god, that's so cute, Baekhyun!" she cooed and Chanyeol turned to her, breaking the intense eye contact. Baekhyun smiled cutely.

 

“Thank you, Wheeinnie. What about you?”

 

"Oh, for me it's the same as always. Workout, a healthy diet and not killing everyone in the office," she smiled, poking his cheek. "Yours is so adorable, though!"

 

Chanyeol observed Baekhyun, amused to no end. It wasn't easy to be mysterious and daring when the girls went around cooing over him.

 

“You’re already perfect though, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, Wheein,” he tilted his head cutely.

 

"Oh, baby, I wish I was!" the girl chuckled happily. "But with this people here you gotta take care of yourself, you know? So many bad habits to avoid."

 

“As long as you’re happy,” he took her hand and kissed her cheek. “You’re beautiful.”

 

"Baekhyun, you flirt!" the girl blushed, her voice even higher. He chuckled.

 

"Don't let her boyfriend see you," Chanyeol chuckled, looking at the pair. "You think we look at least half as cute as them?" he looked at Moonbyul with a grin. Baekhyun hold back a smile, his cheeks a bit red from Chanyeol calling them — him — cute.

 

“We wish honey, we wish,” she smiled, patting his back. The man made a flowerpot pose with a sarcastic smile and took a sip of his white wine. The student watched him as he drank from his glass, looking all kinds of handsome with black comma hair and elegant black turtleneck. He had to leave, now, or else he knew he wouldn’t be able to follow his resolution. Baekhyun couldn’t let himself fall for his charms, not again.

 

“I’m gonna join Jongdae,” he smiled, “see you later?”

 

"I sure will," Chanyeol winked at him, and Moonbyul raised an eyebrow curiously.

 

“No offense, but I wasn’t talking to you, sir.” He smiled, politely.

 

"Full offense, but I chose to ignore that, Mr. Byun," Chanyeol answered, not missing a beat and gave him his best business smile.

 

“The world does not revolve around you, Mr. Park.” he bowed down and walked away, his heart beating too fast. He felt the man's gaze piercing the back of his head.

 

-*:.-*-.:*-

 

Baekhyun was able to avoid the man for about an hour and a half, going from Jongdae to people he didn’t know, his eyes sometimes falling on Professor Do and his boyfriend, to Park Chanyeol who was standing next to them. His entire self was screaming at him to join the man, but Baekhyun kept himself busy with a drink in his hand and several conversations he didn’t really know how to take a part of. Most of the people here where almost ten years older and between baby talks and work complaining, Baekhyun didn’t really know how to answer. He was coming back from the toilets, walking up to the kitchen counter to grab another drink and wondering if he could go bother Jongdae and Minseok just a bit more when he felt someone grab his wrist. The person pulled him closer and into a dark room, closing the door behind them.

 

"You were so mean today," Chanyeol purred in his ear, pinning him to the white door. Baekhyun felt his heart fall to his feet, a shiver running down his spine. He swallowed down slowly as he looked as the man.

 

“Was I?” he murmured, stopping himself from putting his hands on the man’s chest.

 

"Yes, you were," the man said slowly, holding his wrists and pinning them on both sides of his head. "Should you really get your gift?"

 

“Well,” Baekhyun started, looking him in the eye, “I did not ask for it, Mr. Park, you came to me.”

 

"You did, darling," he smiled wickedly, leaning in to kiss the corner of his lips. Baekhyun turned his head a little, Chanyeol’s lips falling on his cheek. "Mean," he whispered in his ear, kissing his neck. Baekhyun bit the inside of his cheek, slightly pulling on his wrists. Not enough to free them, not that he would admit it. Chanyeol's hold was loose enough for Baekhyun to free himself with one pull.

 

“I’ve never been nice, sir.”

 

"Oh, you were, Mr. Byun. You were so, so nice when you hugged and kissed me in your sleep," Baekhyun felt his soft lips on his jaw, tracing its line. The student bit on his lip, tilting his head to make way for Chanyeol, going against every one of his decisions. The man smiled, placing small kisses on his neck.

 

“It’s funny how you’re making things up to bother me.”

 

"It's funny how you don't accept the truth," Chanyeol tightened his hold on his wrists, after Baekhyun made no move to free himself. "You're cute when you sleep. A talker, did you know?" he smiled, biting on his ear lightly. Baekhyun let out a small moan, frowning as he heard himself.

 

“Oh, what did I say?” he whispered, already a mess.

 

"You were really sad when I tried to untangle myself and go. Pleaded me not to leave you alone," Chanyeol finally kissed him softly on the lips, his knee between his legs, spreading them slightly. He could hardly hear him, his words drowned out by the pounding music from behind the door. Baekhyun closed his eyes without even thinking about it, his heart beating fast, wordlessly asking for more. His tongue slid between Chanyeol’s lips on reflex, and he let out a whimper, clenching his fists. "Needy," Chanyeol let out a breathy chuckle and leaned in to kiss him properly, deepening the kiss as soon as Baekhyun parted his lips for him. Baekhyun could still leave if he wanted to, Chanyeol kissing him meant nothing and he could have just pushed him away and walked out but he didn't. He pushed his body closer to Chanyeol, his lips welcoming him and his tongue melting against the man’s. Everything felt so good, so normal. Everything was so satisfying. Baekhyun wanted this. For the entire Christmas break, Baekhyun had wished for this to happen. Suddenly, this felt home and the student wouldn’t wish to be anywhere else. They didn't know each other well yet but their bodies fitted in together perfectly. None of them had to think about what they're doing, intuitively playing along.

 

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Byun," Chanyeol whispered lowly, breaking the kiss and loosening his hold on his wrists to grip his hips, lightly biting the sensitive skin on his neck. Baekhyun moaned, tilting his head again and letting his fingers lace on the man’s nape.

 

“Merry Christmas, Mr. Park,” he whispered back, his half-lidded eyes unfocused. He could barely see his smile in the darkness of the room.

 

"Do you wanna go back?" Chanyeol asked quietly, his hands sliding along his sides under his t-shirt. Baekhyun bit his lip.

 

“We should…” he whispered, looking at him. The man hummed in response, his hands still wandering on Baekhyun's slim body, nuzzling his neck, his knee moving up slightly, brushing the boy's crotch. Baekhyun moaned a bit louder, his mouth half-open and his fingers tightening on the man’s nape. “Sir…”

 

"Yes, darling?"

 

“It’s time to go now… Christmas is over," he whispered, slightly closing his legs.

 

"Is it?" Chanyeol murmured, his hot breath fanning over his neck. He sounded a bit disappointed.

 

“Sir…” he his lips, his fingers sliding in the black hair. “New Year’s Eve is almost here…”

 

"And what does that mean?" Chanyeol placed his hands on his shoulders, the comforting warmth disappearing from under Baekhyun's clothes.

 

“It means the clock is gonna strike soon, and I have to find someone to kiss when it does…” he smiled, softly. The man sighed quietly, slowly taking his hands off.

 

"Run, then," he nodded at the door with a small smile. Baekhyun looked at him for a minute. It was now or never, he knew it, and the voice at the back of his mind was telling him to go, leave. Stay away from Chanyeol. He didn’t want to. He definitely missed the hands on his sides, the lips on his neck. He had to make the wise choice though, he had to leave. Baekhyun had to go away, now.

 

“Hope you’ll find someone, Mr. Park.” He murmured.

 

"Yeah, I will. Moonbyul's going to be delighted," he smiled lopsidedly, taking a step back. "Go, Mr. Byun, I'm not holding you here." Baekhyun felt his heart miss a beat at the thought of Chanyeol kissing Moonbyul. It made sense, he thought, it still didn’t stop him from feeling so bad so suddenly. This was the reason he should leave; he shouldn’t be feeling this way. Not with Park Chanyeol.

 

“Happy new year then, sir,” he said, turning around and grabbing onto the door handle.

 

"Yeah. Same to you, Baekhyun," he heard the quiet voice behind his back. Baekhyun closed his eyes for a second, his name on the man’s lips being too much for him. He drew a deep breath as he opened the door, the loud music invading the room as soon as he walked out, leaving behind the man and the prospect of another warm and passionate kiss. Baekhyun quickly made his way to the bathroom, locking the door behind himself. He stayed there, never answering Jongdae’s texts asking him where he was, looking at the light red marks on the side on his neck, partly covered by his dark disheveled hair.

 

"Hello?" he heard a knock on the bathroom door.

 

“Occupied,” he shouted softly, swallowing down the lump in his throat.

 

"Baekhyun?" Wheein asked, concern obvious in her voice. "Are you okay there?"

 

“I’m fine…” he closed his eyes, his hands trembling, “just a bit tired…”

 

"Could you open the door, baby? Come on, we'll talk," she offered quietly. Baekhyun hesitated for a second, and he unlocked the door after checking his appearance in the large mirror and making sure he looked okay. Tired, he said, he could go along with that lie. Wheein sneaked into the bathroom, locking the door. "Oh, baby, what's happening?" she asked, cupping his face and looking into his eyes, biting her lip in worry. Baekhyun wanted to keep a straight face, to keep everything inside and just pretend. Pretend it was okay. Pretend nothing was bothering him. Pretend he was not feeling like his life was falling apart every time he was alone with Chanyeol, so suddenly, so abruptly. Her kind eyes and caring look made it oh so difficult and he couldn’t stop the sob leaving his lips as he told her again that he was just tired.

 

"Oh, baby," Wheein hugged him tight, letting him hide his face. "It's okay. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. But I'll listen," she assured him, his hair gently in a very motherly gesture.

 

“I-I’m sorry…” he tightened his hold around her, taking in her warmth and trying to calm his pounding heart down. The hand in his hair was helping but there were still a few tears on his cheeks, and he didn’t feel like showing his face to her. He was a mess and he couldn’t even understand why his heart hurt so much. Baekhyun was at loss.

 

"There's nothing to be sorry for," she assured him, "It's gonna be alright. We can talk when you're ready." she murmured quietly, patiently waiting for him to calm down. "It's okay to cry," Wheein hugged him even tighter, when he let out a choked sob. He stayed there, his face in her neck, taking in her scent and his heart calming down with every brush of her fingers in his hair. He straightened after a few long minutes and he swiped his cheeks.

 

“T-Thank you…”

 

"It's okay, baby. Come here," Wheein passed him a piece of toilet paper. "What happened? Is it about Chanyeol?" she frowned, when he looked down. "What did he do?"

 

“Nothing… he didn’t do anything…” it wasn’t even a lie. Baekhyun couldn’t even say Chanyeol was at fault. Everything came from him. Wheein sat him down on the soft rug on the floor, holding his hands.

 

"But is it about him? You have such a strange dynamic and… he's acting a bit strange too, that's why I'm asking," she explained, kneeling in her elegant navy-blue dress. He looked down, his eyelashes still wet from tears, his eyes glimmering under the light.

 

“It’s… complicated…”

 

"It sure is, baby. We have time, maybe I can help you somehow?" she smiled at him, caressing his palms with her thumbs comfortingly. "Or do you just want to go for a walk and get out of here for a minute?"

 

“There’s nothing to do… I’m just stupid…”

 

"You're not stupid. I'm sure you can figure something out," she said, patient. She sat there, facing him, with an encouraging smile on her face, listening carefully.

 

“I did… I just… I can’t seem to do what I’ve decided…”

 

"And what have you decided?"

 

“Nothing has changed,” he murmured, “Everything will end soon, and I’ll go back to my life, as if nothing happened…” he nodded slowly, “Nothing has happened...” he said again, trying to convince himself. Wheein hugged him, a concerned expression on her pretty face.

 

"Baby, tell me what happened. I'm really worried."

 

“We… We just… We just kissed… a few times…” he was still looking down, his cheeks getting redder with every word. Wheein just nodded, prompting him to go on. “It was a mistake…”

 

“Why was it a mistake?”

 

“He’s… I hate him… He’s a jerk… Condescending…” he is not, he heard at the back of his mind, “he’s… my boss… Park Chanyeol…” Baekhyun had no idea why it all seemed so wrong. There was no real reason for him to feel like what they were doing was wrong. “It doesn’t make sense… We shouldn’t act like this…”

 

“Baekhyun, it’s okay… It doesn’t really matter, he’s not exactly your boss or anything,” Wheein said calmly, rocking him slightly in her embrace. “He’s mean and so are you but you actually like each other. There’s nothing wrong with that, baby.”

 

“I don’t like him, it’s just… it’s only physical…” But was it?

 

Wheein just chuckled softly, tucking his hair behind his ear.

 

“If you say so…”

 

“It’s stupid… I shouldn’t be sitting here… I’m just… I’m gonna go… and dance and have fun…” He looked up at her. “Wanna dance with me?”

 

“Of course I do,” Wheein smiled, shaking her head slightly. “We can talk about this later, but you know, you both like each other way more than you think.” Baekhyun shook his head.

 

“He hates me,” he wiped his cheeks one more time, glancing at himself in the mirror, “Let’s go?”

 

“Let’s go. But he actually talks about you a lot and was super excited to see you today,” the girl chuckled softly. “We’re just waiting for you both to realize. I don’t know what signs you both need. You both flirt like crazy, you cry over him in the bathroom on New Year’s Eve and he pretends the five pictures of you on his desk are for reference…” the girl took his hand and led him to the improvised dance floor. “Come on, we still have twenty minutes to midnight!”

 

Baekhyun pretended he didn’t hear what she said about him crying over Chanyeol or about Chanyeol being excited to see him. He couldn’t stop wondering how there were now five pictures of him, but he kept mum, dancing with Wheein as the minutes went by. Midnight was near and everything would soon be done. Baekhyun would stop thinking about the man, about his touch. Baekhyun would ignore him and his existence.

 

A few minutes before midnight Minseok and Jongdae gathered everyone outside, distributing several bottles of champagne to their little crowd. Everyone got ready for the countdown, colorful streamers and drinks in their hands. Jongdae ran up to Baekhyun to take his hand, pulling a happy Minseok with him. Everyone raised their bottles, counting down the seconds until midnight.

 

They welcomed the new year with excited shouts, popping champagne bottles, romantic kisses, friendly hugs and honest wishes. Everyone happily hugged their friends, pouring the champagne in and around the paper cups. Jongdae kissed Minseok who cupped his face with his cold hands, earning a startled shriek from the boy.

 

“Holy , how could you!” Jongdae shouted, kissing him back right after. He turned to Baekhyun right after their little moment, hugging him excitedly. “Happy New Year, ! I’m so happy I know you! Last year was great for you and I’m ing sure this one’s gonna be even better!” he smiled brightly. “I’m so ing proud of you, have no idea!” he shouted in his ear, almost crushing his bones.

 

Baekhyun tightened his arms around him, savoring the hug and love his best friend was offering him. It felt good to know he was loved, to know someone cared about him. He was so thankful for Jongdae being a part of his life, of who he was.

 

“I’m so proud of you, Dae, you did amazing last year and you’re gonna do even greater things this year. Thank you so much for being a part of my life, I love you so much, Dae.” he buried his face in his friend’s neck, pulling him closer.

 

“Oh, I’m gonna puke,” Jongdae said, his voice wavering. “Damn, I love you!” he smiled, finally releasing Baekhyun from his embrace. “Go hug people!’

 

“You’re definitely the best thing that ever happened to me,” he kissed his cheek and rubbed his friend’s hair.

 

“So far!” Jongdae gave him a wide smile, waving and going to give his wishes to the others. Baekhyun looked around to see couples and groups of friends gathered together and celebrating. The Mintblueish office group was standing nearby, Wheein and Yongsun talking excitedly with Hyejin and Chanyeol and Moonbyul kissing just to make disgusted faces at each other right after. The man laughed at something Moonbyul said and hugged her tightly, immediately going to wrap all of the girls in his arms. Baekhyun looked down for a second, his heart pounding in chest and he scratched nervously at the choker on his neck. He waited for the girls to stand a bit further away from Chanyeol, the man now hugging Minseok, and he walked up to them.

 

“Happy New Year!” he sang happily, hugging Yongsun tightly, hopping together and smiling brightly.

 

“Happy New Year, Baekhyunnie!” Wheein hugged them tightly, pulling Hyejin and Moonbyul in for a group hug. “All the best to you!” Baekhyun smiled and kissed their cheeks, his eyes bright and happy.

 

“I’m sure everything you wish for will come to you this year!” he said and Wheein kissed him on the cheek, ruffling his hair.

 

“Same to you, baby! I’m sure you’re gonna become a great artist very soon! We can’t wait to see your work on the exhibit,” she smiled brightly.

 

After about fifteen minutes of hugging and kissing one another, everyone went back to party into the house, happy smiles on their faces and tipsy dances on the dancefloor. Wheein left to join her boyfriend near the kitchen counter, while Moonbyul and Yongsun went to dance, each holding a colorful drink in hand and Baekhyun was left alone when a group of people he didn’t know pulled Hyejin away. He looked around, his eyes falling on Chanyeol, the man talking to friends excitedly. He smiled brightly, his eyes crinkled, when he told some story, making the group around him laugh out loud. It took him a few seconds to realize that someone was looking at him and when their eyes finally met, Baekhyun politely nodded and Chanyeol’s smile slowly faded from his face. He threw Baekhyun a grim glance and the student turned away, his heart sinking in his chest.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE SO DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE NEXT CHAPTER !

 

Baekhyun is D O W N

And so is Chanyeol!

Ah, guys, I swear to god, huh.

We're all better at this than they are, and God knows I'm bad at it xD

- K.