CHEERS

UNTOUCHABLE
"I heard from Seohyun that Joohyun wants to transfer rooms."
 
Seulgi lifted her head from the grass to look at Sooyoung, who's lying down beside her. "Really? How did your roommate know that?"
 
"Seohyun's also a nursing student like Joohyun. Maybe they're classmates or what," said Sooyoung, turning sideways to look at Seulgi. "Admin didn't allow her. Said that all rooms for Dorm A and B are already filled. Dorm C's already finished, but they're planning to have it ready for occupancy by next semester. Did you annoy your roommate or something?"
 
Seulgi lay back and stared into the leaves overhead. "I don't know... We're not even talking. I couldn't start a conversation because she's treating me like I don't exist."
 
"Is she mean to you?"
 
"No. But I can tell she feels awkward. Maybe she doesn't have plans of being on good terms with me. Just plain platonic roommates."
 
"Why do you think so?"
 
"I don't know. But I can tell she's feeling awkward towards me." Seulgi sighed. This is her first shot of trying to mingle with the world again. She's both scared and excited about it. However, that excitement has been blown away by this roommate of hers.
 
"Do you like her?" asked Sooyoung.
 
"Huh?"
 
"You're roommate--Joohyun. Do you like her?"
 
"Why'd you ask?"
 
"Because you're too affected right now. Look at you. You look like someone got dumped by her crush." Sooyoung chuckled.
 
Seulgi tilted her head away from Sooyoung to hide her blushing face. "It's... it's not like that..."
 
"I can introduce you to my roommate and her friends. They are nice. Who knows, you might find yourself a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, whichever way you swing."
 
"No, thanks. I didn't come here to look for a relationship. I came here for a cause: and that is to help the world eradicate Evens," said Seulgi. "I want to be like my dad, who helped the entire world with his research."
 
But the truth is she's disappointed with the turnout of events between her and Joohyun.
 
"Truly heroic, what your dad did. And it's my honour to meet and be classmates with his daughter here in school." Sooyoung smiled warmly. "So, you're planning to get into SAU, huh?"
 
"I hope I can. It was SAU who rescued me when my dad died. I felt safe when they came. It's like I can take on the world as long as I'm with them. I want to have that kind of effect on people."
 
"Me too. I admire them so much. My dad died after a massive attack in our village when I was a kid. Like you, I want to get rid of those monsters too."
 
"Do you think we'd be qualified to get into SAU? They are very picky, right?" asked Seulgi.
 
"They are because getting into SAU means commitment. They only want people who are truly committed. And we're going down that path now. Training to be part of AEF is the first step towards becoming a SAU member."
 
"You're right. And even if we don't get to be selected of SAU, being an AEF military means doing the same, right?"
 
"I agree. Just lesser action."
 
Seulgi laughed. "Right. Just lesser action."
 
"But I know we'll get there," said Sooyoung, her eyes dreamy. "I am already envisioning a world free of Evens. Kids freely running outside, people finally living peacefully. Ah. What a beautiful sight that would be."
 
"And we're going to be part of the team who could contribute to that." Seulgi raised her closed fist towards Sooyoung for a fist bump. "To SAU?"
 
Sooyoung smiled, bumping her fist with Seulgi. "To SAU."
 
---
 
"She's in the Control Room now with her mom and Seungwan. The one who was captured was her husband's mother," said Sooyoung, fixing her suit.
 
Seulgi felt uncomfortable hearing "her" and "husband" in one sentence. She silently nodded instead while counting the bullets on the table.
 
"Do you guys have any idea of what's the kid's name?" asked Krystal.
 
"It's Yerim. I've read the papers from Commander earlier," answered Sooyoung. She noticed Seulgi's head turned in her direction, eyes bulging. "What's the matter, Cap?"
 
"Uh... nothing." Seulgi looked away. "How's the weather?"
 
"Not good. It will be a rainy day. We might be expecting one in an hour." Sooyoung stuffed a Retter Sword handle into one of her holsters.
 
"In that case, let's hurry. Are you guys done?" Seulgi turned to Amber and Krystal. "Packed with extra bullets and boosters?"
 
"Yes, Cap. Krystal's brought too much, enough to supply the whole troop even though she's only babysitting," said Amber, getting an arm punch from Krystal.
 
"We're all good now, Cap," said Krystal.
 
"Good. Our objective is to retrieve the kid and get out of that place as soon as possible," said Seulgi. "Avoid encounters with Evens as much as we can. There are four Sanctuaries set up inside the village. We can stay on one of those if it rains. Let's make this clean. We don't want the kid seeing anything violent. Any questions?"
 
"All clear, Cap," said Sooyoung, Amber, and Krystal in unison.
 
Seulgi looked at everyone's eyes first before nodding. "Okay. Let's go."
 
---
 
As the troop walked towards Gate A exit, the other staff cheered and wished them luck as they passed by. This has been a norm now whenever SAU is going out on a mission. Everyone knows how dangerous it is to have a face-to-face encounter with Evens, reason why people are wishing these brave warriors luck and trying to cheer them up.
 
Since Gate A is located below the Control Room, the staff in the said room stood up to show their support through the glass wall. Troop C stopped and looked up to acknowledge them.
 
"Wow. I didn't know that the mom of the child we're saving is smoking hot," said Amber, looking up at the people and waving at them.
 
Seulgi's head automatically followed Amber's line of sight and caught the image of the woman who's already looking down at them--at her.
 
Seulgi suddenly felt exposed, her heart beating hard against her chest. There's a sense of awkwardness that's running throughout her body. It was easy for her to stare at Joohyun earlier in the Interview Room because the latter isn't aware she's in the other room, creepily staring through the mirror. However, right now, there's nothing between them, just her and Joohyun with their eyes gazing at each other.
 
"Pretty, ain't she, Cap?"
 
Seulgi turned to Amber, a perfect excuse to break the gaze. "Y-yeah."
 
"Wait. Is that Doctor Seungwan on her side?" asked Amber.
 
"Yes. That's her," said Krystal, looking up as well. "And the other older lady is..."
 
"That's Joohyun's mom," answered Sooyoung. "Seungwan is best friends with Joohyun."
 
"Awe. That's sweet of her to be by her best friend's side during times like this," said Krystal, placing a hand on her chest.
 
"Wait a minute. That's Doctor Seungwan's best friend?" Amber's eyes grew wide. "The mother of the child we're saving?"
 
"Yeah. What's the matter?" asked Sooyoung.
 
Finally connecting the dots, Amber stared at Seulgi, opened. "Holy ."
 
Seulgi simply closed her eyes and nodded to confirm.
 
"Captain Seulgi! Captain Seulgi!" a voice from the back was heard. The troop turned and saw a man running towards them.
 
"Doctor Minho, what's up?" asked Seulgi.
 
Doctor Minho, who's still trying to catch his breath, handed Seulgi three devices that are about the size of a communication radio. "Here..."
 
"What are these, Doc?"
 
"Those are... bombs. Retter Bombs..."
 
"Bombs? But this doesn't look like the typical bomb we're throwing during Cleansing."
 
"Yeah, that's... that's a different one... It's a prototype," said Doctor Minho, finally able to stand straight. "We've only tested it indoors. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."
 
"How is this different from the other bombs, Doc?" asked Krystal.
 
"The usual bombs don't kill Evens on one shot. That's why we use about twenty to thirty bombs during Cleansing, especially if we're dealing with about fifty to a hundred Evens. And these three," said Doctor Minho, pointing at the bombs, "they are designed to kill all Evens within a ten-km radius in one blast."
 
"Wow. That's wide. By kill, you meant like total kill? No more berserk mode?" asked Sooyoung, getting interested as well.
 
"Like a one-shot kill, yes, something like that. These bombs have higher solution content compared to the normal bombs. It took us about 15 dead bodies to create one. And like the normal Retter Bombs, they aren't dangerous to humans but are lethal to Evens. We can blast it even with people around, and Evens will die without berserking."
 
"Wow. It's truly amazing, Doc!" said Amber, getting excited. "Can we try it in the field later?"
 
"That's what we're hoping. These prototypes need testing. I would suggest you test them only when you're convenient, not during emergencies. Don't depend your lives on them as they may not work."
 
"Copy, Doc. Thanks for these." Seulgi kept one of the prototypes and handled the other two to Sooyoung and Amber. "No bombs for you, Krystal. Focus on the kid's safety."
 
"Roger, Captain!" said Krystal confidently. She punched Amber in the stomach when the latter whispered, "Heroic!"
 
Before resuming her steps, Seulgi looked up once again and saw the same people still looking at them. Seungwan raised a hand. Seulgi nodded to acknowledge her.
 
Seulgi turned back to Gate A with a serious face. "Let's go, guys," she said, walking towards the GAZ Tigr armoured vehicle that's waiting for them.