ATTACK

UNTOUCHABLE
After their first official talk last night, Joohyun asked Seulgi out for a friendly dinner date, which Seulgi agreed to right away.
 
"I'm still paying for this. End of discussion," said Joohyun, pointing her finger around the foods on the table. "I feel awful for making you feel bad about yourself. It was not my intention. I'm sorry. I know this isn't enough, but let me at least make it up to you by treating you to dinner."
 
Seulgi knew it's going to be futile to insist. "Fine. But it'll be my treat next time, okay?"
 
"I'm looking forward to it." Joohyun separated the chopsticks and went for meat. "Ooh. Delicious!"
 
"You're a nursing student, right?" asked Seulgi, grabbing a slice of meat for herself.
 
Joohyun nodded. "It runs in the family. My dad's a doctor."
 
"Nice. Planning to be one too?"
 
"No plans. People always assume I'll follow dad's footsteps. But I want to make a point. I want them to know that nurses are equally as important as doctors. Those doctors won't last a day if nurses aren't around."
 
"Have you told your dad about that?"
 
"Yeah. And he laughed at me."
 
Seulgi just chuckled, silently thinking how lucky Joohyun is to have both of her parents still alive.
 
"I also heard another rumour around here. You're Doctor Kang's daughter?" asked Joohyun.
 
"Yeah. You know my dad?"
 
"He's quite a legend now, in case you still don't know. My dad admires your dad so much. Says he's the reason we found a way to kill Evens."
 
"Which cost him his life." Seulgi huffed. "I was there. I saw it."
 
Joohyun put her chopsticks down. "I'm sorry. It must've been hard for you."
 
"Was. But I've learnt to accept it. It took me time. But here I am, trying to live a normal life."
 
"Is that the reason you're joining AEF and want to be part of SAU?"
 
"Those monsters killed my family." Seulgi scrunched up her face. "I was too young to remember my mom. I grew up seeing dad doing his research. He had that burning desire to create a new world for everyone, something I might've gotten from him. My only focus now is to spend my life protecting people and eradicating Evens from this planet."
 
"That's admirable." Joohyun looked at Seulgi with a warm expression. "People like you, the ones who are joining AEF, I look up to you highly because you're giving up a part of your life so others could live a normal life. I wish I have the courage to be like that. But I'm too scared."
 
"It's fine. We all have our calling. Not everybody can be in AEF. Same with not everybody can be a nurse. I would if I worked in a hospital."
 
Joohyun chuckled. "Truth is, my dream is to serve AEF too by working in the headquarters' hospital. I want to take part in treating those wounded soldiers."
 
"Well, that's a noble thing."
 
"Maybe. But my mom doesn't like that idea. Ugh." Joohyun rolled her eyes.
 
"I guess this is one of the perks of not having any parents. No one can mess with my decision," said Seulgi, making Joohyun laugh.
 
"I was wondering, who took care of you?"
 
"I was sort of adopted, not legally, by one of the SAU members who rescued me. Her name's Captain Eunmi. Single. No kids. Although I stayed mostly in the orphanage because she's always away due to her duties, she supported me. She pays for my school, buys me stuff, gives me gifts. I guess she's one of the reasons I wanted to be in SAU badly."
 
Joohyun stared at Seulgi, her face full of admiration. "You're an amazing person. Has anyone told you that?"
 
Seulgi saw the sincerity in Joohyun's eyes, making her face feel warm. She shifted her eyes to the food instead. "T-thank you. And no, no one has ever told me that."
 
"It's just that I've lived an easy life, easier compared to yours," said Joohyun. "You've been through something, something I'm not sure I can survive if I had experienced it myself. But you, you're still here, sitting in front of me, still fighting and going through life. How did you manage to do that?"
 
"It wasn't easy. But along the way, I realised that I only have two options." Seulgi raised two fingers. "One is to give up, and the other is to move forward. Either way, you'll still feel pain. But moving forward will at least take you to a different place than where you were before."
 
Joohyun looked at Seulgi for long with a tightlipped smile plastered on her face. "I'm glad I got the chance to share a room with you."
 
---
 
Seulgi is staring out of the window, a hand cupping her chin. Her thoughts are drifting as their vehicle passed by the familiar places she's been to before when she was younger.
 
"When you said that they became friends, is it more of a friendly type of relationship, or are they already sort of flirting with each other?" asked Amber, breaking Seulgi's revery.
 
"It's pure friendship," answered Sooyoung. "Our dear Captain's contented with their friendship and doesn't have plans of making a move."
 
"Why?" asked Krystal.
 
"I came to that university to study," said Seulgi, her eyes still at the window. "I know the consequences of being in SAU. I promised myself not to get into any relationships."
 
"But how come this chick changed your mind?" asked Amber.
 
Seulgi propped her arm against the window and scratched her head. "I don't know. I guess it's hard to be rational when what's at stake is your happiness."
 
"Awe. That's cheesy," said Krystal after a short squeal. "No one can say no to love when it comes knocking at your door, especially if it's your first time. I understand you there, Cap. But how long did you stay as friends before you crossed the line?"
 
Seulgi gestured to Sooyoung, telling her to continue the story.
 
"Was that after a year?" Sooyoung asked Seulgi, getting no response. "Yeah, they were good friends that time. But something's changed when two pairs of Even destroyed the Retter Barriers and attacked the school."
 
---
 
It was Wednesday evening. Seulgi and Sooyoung were walking towards Dorm A, their boots stained with mud from the training. Both were thankful they were wearing black shirts, and the dirt isn't that obvious.
 
They separated ways at the intersection as Sooyoung's room is to the left. But before Seulgi could enter the building, she felt the ground move, as if there was a split-second earthquake.
 
Seulgi turned around and saw Sooyoung having the same expression. Before they could do anything, a group of people appeared from the corner. They were running.
 
"EVENS! EVENS ARE ATTACKING!"
 
This made the other people come out of their rooms. Panic settled in. People started shouting and running in all directions.
 
Sooyoung ran towards Seulgi. "We need to take these students to the Centre Sanctuary."
 
"But we need to calm them down first," said Seulgi, seeing the chaos around. She walked towards the centre of the intersection and stood up at the water fountain. "EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME! STOP PANICKING! THE NEAREST SANCTUARY HERE IS JUST BESIDE THE LIBRARY! LET'S GO THERE NOW WITHOUT HURTING EACH OTHER!"
 
Everyone started running in the direction of the library. Sooyoung and Seulgi knocked at the doors, making sure everyone is informed. After seeing Sooyoung's roommate, Seohyun, Seulgi realised she hadn't seen Joohyun yet.
 
"Maybe she's already gone there ahead of us?" said Sooyoung, guiding other students in the right direction.
 
"I hope so. But she usually takes a bath during this hour." Seulgi looked back and forth, feeling more worried now.
 
"I'm sure she could've heard this noise by now, even if she's in the shower."
 
"Problem is she listens to music when she's in the shower. And her music is loud when she's bathing."
 
"Oh my gosh."
 
There was a scream from the students when a creature appeared from the corner. It was walking fast towards the students.
 
"Creeeeeee!"
 
"TO THE ALLEY! MOVE! MOVE!" shouted Sooyoung, guiding the students to shortcut to the Centre Sanctuary--a narrow alley made from thick Retter Barriers. It was strategically built to be narrow so Evens won't be able to fit in.
 
"Sooyoung! I'm going to check our room!"
 
"Seulgi! No!" Before Sooyoung could stop her friend, Seulgi already disappeared in the crowd.
 
---
 
Seulgi reached the hallway where their room is located. From there, she can already hear the loud music in their bathroom. She entered the room and frantically knocked on the bathroom door.
 
"Joohyun! Open the door!"
 
The music stopped. "Seulgi?"
 
"Open the door! Evens are attacking us!"
 
"What!" The bathroom door opened, revealing Joohyun, who's already in her nightgown.
 
Seulgi wanted to admire the scene for a moment but realised it's not the right time. She grabbed the nearest jacket in her reach--her oversized grey hoodie--and gave it to Joohyun. "Wear this. We need to go to the Centre Sanctuary now."
 
Joohyun obeyed and wore the jacket as fast as she could. Then she felt the ground move. "What was that?"
 
"One of them is here," whispered Seulgi. She held Joohyun's hand. "We could hide here for a bit, but I'm sure it already knows we're here."
 
"C-can they go through the wall?"
 
"It may take a bit of time, but they can break it, especially if they are sure that they have preys inside. We need to get out of here." Seulgi opened the door slowly, but Joohyun pulled her back.
 
"Seulgi..."
 
Seulgi turned and saw Joohyun trembling. "What's the matter?"
 
"I... I'm... scared..."
 
Seulgi almost forgot that Joohyun had never experienced an attack before. Joohyun was lucky enough to grow up in a village surrounded by the army. Aside from the massive amount of Retter Barriers installed in the area, any sign of threats is immediately stopped by the military.
 
"Hey. No need to worry. You're with me," Seulgi encouraged, trying to hide the tremble in her voice as she's as nervous as Joohyun right now.
 
"But they can kill us, right?" Joohyun hugged Seulgi's arm this time.
 
"Hey. Hey. Look at me," said Seulgi, searching for Joohyun's eyes. "You're going to be safe, okay? As long as you're with me, you're untouchable. I promise you that."
 
Seulgi meant what she said. Because if it goes to the worst-case scenario, knowing that an Even will stop hunting once it captures one prey, Seulgi is willing to sacrifice herself to make sure Joohyun is safe. She can do it with no hesitation because Joohyun is one of the few people in her life whom she knows cared for her genuinely.
 
Sensing the sincerity in Seulgi's voice, Joohyun slowly nodded. "Just please don't let go of my hand..."
 
Seulgi doesn't know what's gotten into her. She held Joohyun's face with her hand and kissed the girl's temple. Joohyun reacted by snuggling closer to Seulgi.
 
"Let's go," said Seulgi, finally opening the door.