CHALLENGES

UNTOUCHABLE
"We're here, Cap," said Amber, pulling the vehicle over at the entrance. She picked up the radio and pressed a button. "We've arrived at the entrance of Jeoswa village. I repeat, we've arrived at the entrance of Jeoswa village."
 
"Gear up, guys. Take one booster now. Let's make this quick," said Seulgi, injecting a booster in her vein.
 
The troop went out of the vehicle with complete gear suits, a small camera attached to their uniforms. They all looked at the empty village that resembled a ghost town. The wind blew.
 
"It looks like the rain's coming any minute now." Seulgi looked up at the sky. "Let's hurry. Focus on retrieving the target first. Then we'll shed to the nearest Sanctuary until the rain stops."
 
"Roger, Captain!" said Krystal, Amber, and Sooyoung.
 
"Let's go."
 
The troop went in the outer barrier, then the second level of the barrier, passing by the third level of the barrier. The street looked messy, proof there was an attack that happened.
 
There was a sudden flash of bright light in the sky, making them dodge for whatever it is they thought was coming. Then, a loud sound of thunder followed.
 
"You're right, Cap. This ain't good," said Amber. "It looks like a hard rain."
 
"Do you guys remember that one drill we did in Brazil when we were training for SAU? It was raining hard that time, too, right?" asked Krystal.
 
"I barely remember the specifics of that," said Sooyoung. "But I never want to experience that again. It was a nightmare."
 
"Same here," said Amber. "I only remember some parts, but not all of it. How about you, Cap?"
 
"I wish I could forget that," said Seulgi, leading the way. "But sadly, in my condition, there are lots of things I wish to forget a long time ago that I still remember vividly."
 
---
 
Seulgi was awoken by the loud sound of the thunder outside. She panicked for a moment until she realised she's in their room and Joohyun's body is lying on top of her, .
 
Seulgi smiled. This has been one of Joohyun's favourite sleeping positions, and she's doing it unconsciously.
 
Seulgi traced a finger along Joohyun's arm, admiring the beauty of the girl. Making love with Joohyun has been her continuing addiction ever since they started dating two years ago. Seulgi loves the feeling of how Joohyun willingly submits herself to her. It gives her this sense of pride that no matter what happens in a day, no matter whoever they meet, every inch of Joohyun still belongs to her.
 
The rain soon followed. Not wanting to wake up her girlfriend, Seulgi slowly reached out for the blanket and covered Joohyun's body.
 
"I love you," she whispered, kissing her girlfriend's forehead.
 
Joohyun instinctively tightened her hug on Seulgi as she settles herself comfortably. Seulgi smiled and hugged her girlfriend again.
 
Oh, how she loves rain.
 
---
 
Seulgi and Joohyun were preparing to go out for dinner when the former's phone rang. She picked it up.
 
"Hello? Yes, this is her. Yes." There was a long silence after that. "What!" Seulgi stepped out of the room, leaving the door open.
 
Noticing that, Joohyun followed Seulgi with her eyes and saw the latter standing outside the room, one hand or her waist. After a little while, Seulgi went back in, her voice cracking.
 
"O-okay... t-thank you for telling me..." Seulgi sat on the bed, looking lost.
 
Joohyun came closer. "What's the matter?"
 
"H-herd attack," said Seulgi, her eyes empty.
 
"Herd what?"
 
"Herd attack. That's when a large number of Evens attack all at once."
 
Joohyun didn't know what it meant. She waited for Seulgi to talk again.
 
"S-she's gone, Hyun-ah..."
 
"Who?"
 
Seulgi rubbed her eyes harshly, preventing tears from falling. "There was an operation in Kenya. They found a colony. The troop couldn't handle the number of Evens. They..." Seulgi pressed her lips together, tears falling on her lap.
 
"C-Captain Eunmi? Oh, my gosh!" Joohyun knelt on the bed, encircling her arms around Seulgi's neck. "I'm so sorry, honey..."
 
"She's the only family I've got." Seulgi sniffed. "Those Evens killed every bit of my family. I swear I'm going to ing kill them all..."
 
Joohyun hooked her chin on Seulgi's shoulder, tightening her hug.
 
"Why does it have to be me, Hyun? Why do I keep losing the people I love?"
 
"Hey. I'm still here. You still got me. I'm not going anywhere."
 
"You would still leave me, wouldn't you?"
 
"Seulgi, I'm not leaving your side unless you tell me to."
 
Seulgi was silent for a while. "You better keep your word, or else I don't know anymore what life means for me..."
 
"Don't worry," said Joohyun, brushing her fingers through Seulgi's hair. "The only time we'll break up is if you decide to leave me."
 
---
 
"My tuition fee was shouldered by the government because of that. I've got no family left, so they thought they could support me as what Captain Eunmi did."
 
Seulgi's voice echoed in the Control Room. Joohyun's mom finally returned and sat beside her daughter.
 
"That's nice. But where do you go during vacations?" asked Krystal.
 
"At my ex's place. She wouldn't allow me to go anywhere. Plus, I don't have anywhere to go to."
 
"What about her folks then? Do they approve?" asked Amber.
 
"Her dad's just fine with it. Maybe he'd rather see his nineteen-year-old daughter date a woman instead of a boy who could impregnate her. But her mom, she doesn't like me. She's always giving me the cold shoulder every time I visit during vacation."
 
Joohyun's mom folded her arms. "Any mother would want their daughters to have a normal relationship."
 
"Mom." Joohyun turned to the older woman.
 
"What's the matter? Don't tell me you'd rather see Yerim date someone... someone like her in the future...?"
 
"Mom, I don't care whomever Yerim dates as long as they love each other."
 
"Nonsense." Joohyun's mom rolled her eyes.
 
"Damn homophobes. They always think they are perfect," said Amber, irritated. "How did you handle your monster-in-law then?"
 
Joohyun's mom cleared .
 
"Well, ex is the type of girl who knows what she wants and decides for herself," said Seulgi, making Joohyun smile. "As for our relationship, she kept reminding me it's just her and me who matters and that I shouldn't let myself be affected by her mom, who's being quite difficult towards me."
 
"You told her that?" asked Joohyun's mom, annoyed.
 
"Yes, I did, because that's the truth," said Joohyun. "She is being nice by saying you were difficult. You were mean to her, you know."
 
"Why are you still defending her? Don't tell me you still like her?"
 
"That's not the point, Mom. The point is, she's going there to save your granddaughter. She deserves to have some respect from us, especially from you. What happened in the past doesn't matter now. It was over a long time ago. Why can't you move on from that?"
 
The older lady stared at her daughter. "Simple. Because I don't see that you are moving on."
 
"What? Mom, I'm a married person now. Stop making issues."
 
"I will, only if you stop watching the AEF channel daily for updates on SAU operations."
 
Joohyun bit her lip and looked away, irritation obvious on her face.
 
"Awe. She's adorable, Cap," Krystal's voice echoed this time.
 
"What they had, that was beautiful. To tell you the truth, I felt sad when I found out that they broke up," said Sooyoung.
 
"Same here," whispered Seungwan, making sure it's only Joohyun who could hear her. "I still feel sad thinking what you two had is just part of the past. Just like Sooyoung said, it was really beautiful."
 
Joohyun looked at her friend eagerly. "I know. But maybe things aren't supposed to be that way for us." She looked back at the screen. "She wouldn't be one of SAUs assets now if we're still together."