FRIENDS

UNTOUCHABLE
After Sooyoung told her about Joohyun wanting to transfer rooms, Seulgi had lost hope. She felt awkward being in their room more than ever. And because of that, she tried avoiding Joohyun by leaving their room too early and coming back in too late just before their curfew.
 
Sometimes she comes home seeing Joohyun already sleeping. But on days when Joohyun is still wide awake, Seulgi's strategy is to go for a quick shower before heading to bed without talking to her roommate. This is the best solution she thought of so Joohyun won't feel awkward around her.
 
"It's just for one school year," she kept telling herself. "Next year, she'll have the chance to transfer rooms."
 
It was one of those nights when Seulgi came home late. Just after she opened the door, Joohyun is walking around the room with just a towel wrapped around her body.
 
Seeing the shocked expression on Joohyun's face, Seulgi immediately closed the door behind her.
 
"I-I'm sorry," she said, walking towards her closet, her eyes on the floor. "I'm gonna take a quick shower so you can change here."
 
Seulgi grabbed all the clothes she could and swiftly walked to the bathroom.
 
"Seulgi..."
 
Seulgi felt her heart flutter with the sound of Joohyun's voice calling her name. She turned to the lady. "Yes?"
 
"Are you... are you avoiding me...?"
 
Seulgi opened to say something. But seeing Joohyun's almost body distracts her thoughts. She tried to focus her eyes on the other woman's face, but she can't help noticing Joohyun's exposed shoulder and neck.
 
"Seulgi, are you okay?"
 
Seulgi almost smacked herself for acting like that. But she needs to get out of the situation first.
 
"I... uh... I'll take a shower first. Let's talk later." Without waiting for any response, Seulgi went into the bathroom and locked the door after.
 
---
 
Seulgi slumped back on the passenger's seat, feeling relieved that they are out on the field now.
 
"Wow, you look like you just got out of the trial room, Cap," said Amber, who's on the driver's seat. "Is she still making you nervous?"
 
Seulgi smiled and shook her head.
 
"Hey, what's up, guys?" Sooyoung stuck her head out between Amber and Seulgi. "Having a private conversation here while Krystal and I are just sitting behind you?"
 
"Yeah. You three, including you Cap, have been acting weird. What's up?" asked Krystal.
 
The three friends looked at each other. Seulgi gestured not to tell Krystal who Joohyun is. All SAU missions are being monitored in real-time. She doesn't want to cause a commotion in the Control Room, knowing Joohyun and her mom are there.
 
Amber nodded, and Sooyoung settled back on her chair.
 
"We were just talking about Captain's first love," said Amber, making Seulgi and Sooyoung look at her with bulging eyes. "We've known her for years. But this morning, during lunch, was the first time she ever talked about it."
 
Krystal scooted closer. "Wow. Interesting! So, what about it?"
 
"C'mon, guys. I'm not going to talk about my personal life with you. Not on this trip," said Seulgi lazily.
 
"You don't have to tell us, Cap. Sooyoung can tell us. Right?" said Amber, quickly glancing at Sooyoung from the back.
 
"Yeah. It'll be my pleasure." Sooyoung smirked. "I was lucky enough to witness how it blossomed."
 
Seulgi rolled her eyes.
 
"Is this the same person Captain mentioned during her last interview with Amy, two weeks ago? I remember she said they are no longer together," said Krystal, looking excited.
 
"Yup. They broke up. And yes, the same person," answered Sooyoung. "It's still a story worth telling you and Amber."
 
"We're excited!" Amber exclaimed. "It's going to be a thirty-minute drive to Jeoswa Village. Fill us in, Sooyoung."
 
"It'll be my pleasure."
 
---
 
"How did they meet?" Krystal's voice echoed through the speakers in the Control Room. One of the staff increased the volume a bit for it to be heard clearly.
 
"They started as roommates in the university," said Sooyoung, her voice filling the room. "Seulgi liked this girl since day one, but it was not a good start for them. They were kind of feeling awkward around each other."
 
"Why?"
 
"Seulgi's already feeling inferior of getting roomed with a beautiful chick. Then there was a rumour that this girl wanted to transfer rooms. Seulgi felt more awkward because of it. They stayed like that for about two months--not talking and sort of avoiding each other--until one day they talked about it and settled the issue."
 
"Hmm. I can see someone is smiling." Seungwan nudged her friend. She, Joohyun, and Joohyun's mom are on the couch at the back of the Control Room, watching the big screen in front that displays Troop C on one screen and Jeoswa Village on the other.
 
"It's just that Sooyoung's being Sooyoung again, same old sweet-talker," said Joohyun, shaking her head.
 
"At least she was able to make you smile now. You were worried as earlier."
 
"Can't help it, Seungwan. I don't think I'll be able to relax unless I'm sure Yerim's safe." Joohyun glanced at the other screen where her daughter is seen inside the car.
 
"Don't worry. I'm sure she'll be fine."
 
"And how did that happen?" it was Amber who asked this time.
 
"I don't know. They just became friends after that. Feed us more details, Cap, will you?"
 
"Nah. Shut up," said Seulgi, dismissing them.
 
People in the Control Room laughed.
 
"Why does it seem to me that everyone here is eager to hear this story? Look at these people. They are actually listening," said Joohyun, amazed.
 
Seungwan chuckled. "It's because it's Seulgi we're talking about here. No one in AEF knows about her personal life except probably for Sooyoung and me. And she's been working like a robot for years; work, home, work again, training. I believe this is the first time they are seeing her other side, even if it's just through Sooyoung's storytelling."
 
Joohyun smiled. "That's the typical Seulgi I knew."
 
"Aren't you feeling awkward about this, Hyun-ah?" asked Joohyun's mom, looking displeased. "They may find out it's you."
 
Joohyun raised an eyebrow. "Mom, I never intended to keep my relationship with her secret. You know that. Yes, I've no plans of bragging about it, but I've no plans to deny it either. What's wrong with that?"
 
"What if Junmyeon finds out?"
 
"Junmyeon? Your granddaughter is in danger, and you're still thinking about that?"
 
The older lady couldn't answer. She stood up. "I'll be back. I need to take some air." The two younger women watched her walk out of that room.
 
Joohyun hisses in annoyance. "Even after all these years, she still thinks that Seulgi is the biggest mistake of my life. I don't understand her. Seulgi, Sooyoung, and the troop are risking their lives to save my daughter. Why can't she look at it like that?"
 
Seungwan rubbed her hand against Joohyun's back. "Hey. Some people will never understand."
 
"I can't believe her, Seungwan. I'm married to a man and has a daughter with him, and... ugh..."
 
"Hey. There are more important things to be worried about, like Yerim's safety. Forget about your mom for a bit. And while she's out, tell me how you and Seulgi became close."
 
"What?" Joohyun chuckled. "I can't believe you're asking me that. You know the whole story, right?"
 
"It was a lifetime ago. I've already forgotten about the tiny details. And Sooyoung doesn't know either." Seungwan jerked her head towards the screen. "Aside from the fact that I need to distract you from getting worried, I just thought that you're the perfect person to ask about the continuation of that story."
 
Joohyun smiled. She looked at the screen. "Oh, yes. I'm the perfect person to tell you how we became friends."
 
---
 
"Hey."
 
Seulgi stepped out of the bathroom and saw Joohyun sitting crossed-legged on the bed.
 
"Hey, you're still awake." Seulgi beelined to her closet. She feels happy and embarrassed right now. Joohyun's too beautiful looking simple in her white nightgown.
 
"You said we'd talk after you take a shower, right?"
 
"Y-yeah. I said that."
 
"Why do you look like I am scaring you?" asked Joohyun.
 
Seulgi hesitantly sat on her bed. "No. It's not like that. It's just that... I... I know that you don't like to be around me..."
 
Joohyun's eyebrows furrowed. "Huh? Where did you get that?"
 
"Well, rumours are spreading around here how you wanted to change rooms."
 
"Oh. That... Yeah. I asked the admin if they can transfer me to another room," admitted Joohyun shyly. "But that's not because I don't like you. My mom, she wants me to transfer rooms."
 
"Why? Is it because of me?"
 
Joohyun nodded hesitantly. "I'm sorry. It's not your fault. It's just that my mom's crazy. She doesn't want me to be friends with AEF students, especially the ones aiming for SAUs. She thinks SAU members are all lesbians, and it'll make me feel like I'm rooming with a man. That's the reason I couldn't talk to you during the freshmen orientation; mom's just sitting at the back."
 
Seulgi looked down on the floor. Hearing the real reason made her feel more embarrassed about herself. Yes, the majority of SAU volunteers turn out to be lesbians, but not all of them. And how can someone hate SAU when they are here to save people?
 
"Again, it's not your fault," said Joohyun, as if knowing what Seulgi is thinking. "You don't need to feel sorry for wanting to be in AEF and SAU. It's just that some people are judgemental. You don't seem gay to me."
 
Seulgi was able to make a small smile because of it. "Well, I think I'm actually gay."
 
Joohyun looked surprised. "Oh, you are?"
 
"Yeah. Did I ever made you feel like you're living with a man?"
 
"Not at all," said Joohyun quickly. "I didn't even feel I have a roommate. You've been avoiding me since school started."
 
"It's because I felt that you feel awkward around me. I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, so I tried to stay away as much as I can."
 
"Well, yes, I felt awkward at first. For a short time, I was cautious around you. But as time goes by, I realised that you're not like the other type that my mom talks about."
 
"Type? Like what?"
 
"You know, the ert ones."
 
That made Seulgi chuckle. "So, you don't think I'm erted?"
 
"At least not yet," said Joohyun, smiling. Then her expression changed to an apologetic one. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't mean to make you feel like that. It's all my fault. Also, I hope you don't resent my mom. I'm her only child, so she's looking after me as much as she could."
 
"Don't worry, I understand," said Seulgi, sincerely. Finding out more about how kind Joohyun makes her like this girl a little more today. "Hearing it from you made me feel better."
 
"That's comforting to know."
 
"So, does that mean you're still transferring rooms?"
 
"If Dorm C will miraculously be available this year, then yes. If not, maybe next school year."
 
"Okay." Seulgi felt sad at that. But at least she's got the whole year to spend with Joohyun.
 
"But can you please stop avoiding me? Why don't we enjoy each other's company while we're rooming together, right?" said Joohyun.
 
"I agree. That's a great idea."
 
Joohyun climbed down from the bed and marched towards Seulgi. She laid out her hand. "Friends?"
 
Seulgi happily shook Joohyun's hand. "Friends."