DAWN

UNTOUCHABLE
There was a loud gasp around the Control Room.
 
"What happened here?" Commander Sunny just got back from outside.
 
"It's Captain Seulgi, Commander," answered one personnel. "She jumped out of the vehicle to rescue Dr Kim Junmyeon."
 
"What!"
 
"Joohyun!"
 
The scream of Joohyun's mom caught all their attention. She's fanning her daughter with her hand while Seungwan adjusts her position as Joohyun is leaning on her.
 
"Medicks! Mrs Kim collapsed!" called Commander Sunny. "Assist her immediately!"
 
The medicks came in right away.
 
Commander Sunny turned to the screen again, thinking that what Seulgi is doing is suicide.
 
---
 
Seulgi knows what she's doing is suicide. But if there's a chance she can at least save Yerim's dad, it would be enough for her. She'd be happy to know she risked her life to save the guy. Yerim will not have to grow up fatherless.
 
And Joohyun will be happy too.
 
Yes, that's what's important.
 
Because even after all these years, she wishes nothing but the happiness of the woman--even if it means taking her out of the picture, out of Joohyun's life completely.
 
Seulgi injected another booster into her body. She knows this isn't good as she might overdose. But she doesn't care. She used her remaining strength to run back into the village and attack the monsters that are already cornering the car.
 
She killed one.
 
Two.
 
Three.
 
But they are too many.
 
The car tried running over some Evens, but they just stand up after.
 
Seulgi attacked again. Killed one more. She looked around and realised all the Evens are running towards them now. Seulgi knew that this is the perfect chance. She took out the bomb Doctor Minho gave them. She detonated it and threw it on the ground.
 
Nothing happened.
 
One Even attacked her. She fell to the ground. The Even started webbing her foot.
 
Another Even tried to snatch her away from the first one. She was tossed into the air, then hit the ground again. She felt pain all over her body.
 
She doesn't know what's happening anymore. Everything is starting to become blurry.
 
She took one last glance at the car and saw the window on the driver's side rolled down.
 
He's looking at her, his face apologetic. Then he mouthed, "Thank you."
 
Seulgi blinked. In her mind, she smiled, but she knows her face didn't show it.
 
Before everything went dark for Seulgi, she heard the bomb finally explode.
 
---
 
"So, you woke me up this early so that we could witness the dawn?"
 
"Mmm-mmm."
 
"After staying up all night, making love, you woke me up this early so we could witness the dawn?"
 
Seulgi laughed. She hugged her girlfriend on the side and kissed Joohyun's temple. "Trust me. This is something you'd want to see. There is magic in it that people always take for granted."
 
Joohyun scoffed jokingly. Seulgi smiled at her, internally admiring Joohyun's beauty with that after--hair. She kissed Joohyun's temple again.
 
"I love you."
 
Joohyun wrapped her arms around Seulgi's waist and leaned her head in the crook of the latter's neck. "I love you too."
 
The lovers stared at the sight in front of them. Joohyun's room verandah is giving a view of empty land, perfect for watching sceneries like this.
 
The sky is still dark. But on the other side, a mixture of yellow and orange on the horizon began to appear. Seulgi inhaled the freshness of the morning, then she smiled.
 
The light reached further out as the sun ascended slowly from the horizon. It illuminated the sky with its orange feature, evaporating the blue of the night.
 
The dawn had finally broken.
 
The lovers stayed still for a few more minutes until the sun had become more beautiful, giving warmth in the middle of the coldness.
 
"It's perfect," said Joohyun.
 
"And I thought you're just sleeping."
 
"I wouldn't dare. You disturb my sleep for this so I know it's something I would not like to miss."
 
Seulgi chuckled. "It's beautiful. Dawn is my favourite part of the day."
 
"Why so?"
 
"It just gives me this sense of hope, a new beginning. Whatever happened yesterday is already part of the past. And this, this is proof that we can start anew."
 
Joohyun smiled. "I've to admit it gave me a feeling that I can't explain. But I love it. I will always look at dawn differently from now on."
 
"Yes, because you will always remember me now whenever you witness the dawn."
 
Joohyun's smile faded. She pulled back. She rested her elbows on the verandah and cupped her face with her hands.
 
"Something wrong?" asked Seulgi.
 
Joohyun sighed. "It's just that I'm going to miss you more whenever I witness something like this now."
 
"Hey. Hey. I just arrived here yesterday. We're going to be together for the whole month, Hyun-ah."
 
"I know. It's just that, the idea of you leaving again, it's tough for me to take."
 
Seulgi looked down at her hands. "I'm sorry."
 
"For?"
 
"For being like this. For having a work that requires us to be apart for a while."
 
"Don't be." Joohyun cupped Seulgi's cheeks. "I've admired for that. If we met and you weren't an AEF student, I may not have fallen for you."
 
"Even with this looks of mine?" Seulgi placed her thumb and forefinger to her chin.
 
Joohyun laughed. "No! I'm not someone who goes for the looks. Although it contributed to the attraction part, I know I fell for you because of your values, not your looks. And I will be a hypocrite to resent you now for the very thing that made me fall for you, right?"
 
Seulgi ruffled her girlfriend's hair affectionately. "Thank you. Thank you for understanding."
 
"Just promise me you will never go."
 
"Huh?"
 
"Say you'll never go."
 
Seulgi got even more confused. "Like not to go far away from you?"
 
"What I meant is no matter what happens, promise me you won't let go of me."
 
Seulgi held both Joohyun's hands. "I promise I won't let go of you. I wouldn't. I don't want to. I wouldn't even dare. Ever."
 
Joohyun gave an assuring smile. "That's enough for me to hear. Because even if you're far away, doing your AEF thing, no one will be able to take you away from me because you'll be here," she said, placing her palm over her heart and tapping it three times. "You're untouchable, Seulgi."
 
---
 
Fff... fff... fff...
 
She felt something is wrapped around her arm that's getting tighter.
 
Fff... fff... fff...
 
It continued until she can already feel her pulse pulsating.
 
Fffffffffff...
 
The thing that's wrapped around her arm loosened after that sound.
 
"Her BP is normal," she heard someone say. The voice is unfamiliar.
 
She opened her eyes slowly, getting a glimpse of a woman who's in a purple scrub suit. The woman noticed her.
 
"Oh. You're already awake!" The woman went to the wall and pressed a device. "Captain Seulgi's already conscious."
 
Seulgi didn't know what to react. She still feels lightheaded.
 
"I'll be right back in a few," said the woman, who Seulgi assumes now as an AEF nurse due to the logo on her scrub suit.
 
"In case you still don't know, you're in HQ Hospital."
 
Seulgi looked aside and almost flinched. "C-Commander?"
 
Commander Sunny is in her casual attire today, which means she's not on duty. "Yup, it's me."
 
"W-what happ--"
 
"You threw yourself into danger. Luckily the bomb exploded, killing all the Evens around," said Commander Sunny. "Doctor Minho was pleased that we were able to test it with that number of Evens. We believe this will cut the Cleansing time in half all over the globe. Thanks to you and your troop. You should thank Doctor Minho too; his bomb saved your arse."
 
Seulgi nodded, still trying to absorb everything. Then she remembered the scene before she passed out. "What about--"
 
"Dr Kim is injured, but he made it as well. Thanks to you. The Mustang was wrecked. He said he drove right away to Jeoswa after hearing about the news, which was after his surgical procedure with a patient."
 
"Oh. How abo--"
 
"Your troop is fine. The kid is safe. Any questions, Captain?"
 
Seulgi shook her head no.
 
Commander Sunny walked over to the bed and sat down beside Seulgi. "The high-ups are still debating whether we should demote you or not. You deliberately disobeyed my order. But the fact that you saved Dr Kim and tested all the bombs might lighten up things a bit."
 
Seulgi looked away. "I am sorry, Commander."
 
Commander Sunny waved her hand. "But you're surely suspended. We also received a memo from Doctor Seungwan to force you to take your vacation leave. You won't be allowed to enter any AEF premisses during the period."
 
Seulgi shook her head, smiling.
 
"You need it, kiddo. Trust me," said Commander Sunny, her voice concerned. "Your dad would've been proud to see you now. And Captain Eunmi too. I'm pretty sure she'll be ecstatic."
 
"Thanks, Commander. That made me feel better. Did my troop already take their leaves?"
 
"They haven't yet. They are taking turns here in the hospital, looking after you. You're lucky your people love you."
 
Seulgi nodded, smiling again. "How long was I out?"
 
"About twenty-four hours."
 
Before Seulgi could respond, someone knocked and opened the door. Commander Sunny looked up.
 
"Hey, Joohyun."
 
"Hi, Commander Sunny," said Joohyun, bowing a little. "I heard Seulgi's conscious now. I came by to check."
 
Seulgi felt her heart flutter, hearing Joohyun mention her name.
 
Damn. She can't help herself admiring Joohyun wearing that purple scrub suit.
 
"I see. Would you two like to talk for a bit?" asked Commander Sunny.
 
Joohyun's eyes widened. "N-no, Commander. I'm still on duty. I just came by to check. I would have to return now. Thank you." She bowed again and left right away.
 
"She checks on you from time to time, you know," said Commander Sunny, smirking.
 
Seulgi wanted to smile too, but she repressed it. "Well, she works here. That is why. It's part of her job."
 
"Yeah. But she's assigned in Wing A, not here. She's that girl, right?"
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Your ex-girlfriend."
 
Seulgi felt shy. "Was it too obvious?"
 
"I was only able to connect the dots. There was something with the way you look at her kid. Eunmi showed me a picture of you and her before when you were still in the university. I finally realised why she looked familiar."
 
Seulgi looked at the door again, remembering every single detail of Joohyun earlier.
 
"Have you heard that she fainted in the Control Room after you jumped out of the vehicle?" asked Commander Sunny.
 
Seulgi couldn't believe what she heard. "She did?"
 
"Yes. But it was just for a little while. She regained consciousness after a moment. But she couldn't stop crying."
 
Seulgi doesn't know what to say. Will it be possible for Joohyun to still care for her even after all these years?
 
Or is it pure sympathy?
 
Her thoughts were disturbed when someone knocked on the door again. Seulgi didn't know what to feel after seeing the person she least expects to visit her coming into the room.
 
Commander Sunny stood up to welcome the visitor. "Mrs Bae, a pleasure to see you here. Your daughter just came by."