FEELINGS

UNTOUCHABLE
"Wow. You two killed one of those monsters when you were only cadets? That's amazing!" said Amber.
 
"But it was just luck that we got out alive," said Sooyoung. "I got a head injury and a fractured arm because of that. Seulgi couldn't walk for weeks."
 
"Still, that's amazing. You two were brave to come back for that girl. Were there any casualties?" asked Krystal.
 
"Luckily, there were none. Could've been me if Sooyoung didn't come back for me," said Seulgi.
 
"Awe. Sooyoung's sweet," said Krystal.
 
"I can't leave you there, Seul. After everyone in Dorm A went into the alley, I noticed that there is only one Even around. I knew that the other one could be in the building. That's why I followed you."
 
"Thanks." Seulgi fist-bumped Sooyoung.
 
"But I thought there were four Evens?" asked Amber.
 
"There were two pairs. One died attacking the Retter Barriers. Two of them attacked Dorm A and the other one attacked in the gymnasium area," said Sooyoung. "SAUs came in right away and killed the two."
 
"You guys must've been popular in your school that time, huh?" said Krystal.
 
"Well, Seulgi and I got a reward for that," said Sooyoung, looking at Seulgi. "After that, better things started happening."
 
"Like what? Getting girls?" asked Amber.
 
Sooyoung smiled. "You know, sometimes, jealousy tells us what we feel towards another person."
 
---
 
"What's this?" asked Seulgi. Joohyun came back to their room with Seungwan, the former looking upset. Joohyun threw a paper on Seulgi's bed and went on arranging her stuff.
 
"We got that paper from the admin," said Seungwan, settling on Joohyun's side of the bed. Because of Seulgi's injury, Joohyun arranged their bed side by side so she could look after Seulgi easier. "That's the list of people who'd want to be roomed with you next semester."
 
"With me?" Seulgi couldn't believe it. The list is long, and some names are written on the back of the paper. "I don't even know these people..."
 
"Maybe it's because the rumour about Joohyun transferring to another room is back again. It's the end of the school year, you know."
 
Seulgi looked at the list again, feeling sad it'll be just a few days from now before the school year ends.
 
"Who says I'm transferring rooms?" Joohyun finally spoke, still looking upset. "I haven't confirmed anything yet. Why are they assuming already?"
 
"You mean you still want to be roomed with Seulgi next sem?" asked Seungwan.
 
"Of course! I bet those girls just want to be roomed with her because of the recent attack that happened." Joohyun went to Seulgi and bent down to check the casted leg. "Seohyun got a list too. A lot of those es wanted to be roomed with Sooyoung and Seulgi."
 
Seungwan laughed at Joohyun's irritation. Seulgi couldn't help but smile too.
 
"How's this? How are you feeling?" asked Joohyun.
 
"Just fine. I was just resting here since you left this morning," said Seulgi. She couldn't do much by herself because of her leg injury. It was Joohyun who's assisting her.
 
"Nice. Are you hungry now?"
 
"A bit."
 
Joohyun stood up to get the crutch situated on the wall. "Okay. Seungwan and I will take you to lunch."
 
"Yup. That's why I'm here. My best friend wanted me to help assist you," said Seungwan. "We could've just bought lunch and bring it here, right?"
 
"She's been here the whole morning," said Joohyun, assisting Seulgi now. "She needs to go out too."
 
"It's okay, I can go outside on my own," said Seulgi, feeling embarrassed.
 
"No. You're not going anywhere without me," said Joohyun like it's the end of discussion. "Some girls outside are dying to see you. They might injure you more if they try to hug you or what."
 
"No one messes with her royal highness, Seulgi." Seungwan winked.
 
---
 
"Hyun?"
 
"Hmm?"
 
"So, you're not transferring rooms anymore?"
 
Joohyun finished tucking the bedsheet and climbed onto the bed. "Do you want me to?"
 
"No. But I thought your mom..." Seulgi trailed off.
 
"Don't mind her." Joohyun waved a hand. "You and Sooyoung saved my life. I believe she should be happy that I was roomed with one of you, right?"
 
"Won't she get mad at you?"
 
"It doesn't matter. I've made my decision already. I'm tired of following her for the sake of making her happy. This time, I'm making my decision for my happiness."
 
Seulgi tried her best to hold off that smile from coming out, hoping that she's one of those people who contributes to Joohyun's happiness.
 
"And why are you smiling?" asked Joohyun, settling down beside Seulgi. Their arms against each other.
 
"I'm just glad that you're not transferring rooms. You're one of the few friends I have here."
 
That made Joohyun smile for a second. "But a lot of girls want to be friends with you now after that heroic thing you and Sooyoung did."
 
"Maybe. But they won't be able to replace you."
 
Joohyun raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really?"
 
"The care you showed me is genuine, even before the attack happened. These people just wanted to be around me because of the fame I got after the school awards."
 
"Woo. Aren't you planning to get yourself a girlfriend? Maybe you can find one from them."
 
Seulgi looked at Joohyun. "Do you want me to find a girlfriend?"
 
Joohyun couldn't answer. She looked away. "No. I meant... it's up to you. Why would I hinder you from getting a girlfriend, right?"
 
"So, you mean you won't mind?"
 
"I won't. Just make sure she won't be ing with me, or else I'll cut her head off."
 
Seulgi laughed. "You're scarey."
 
"Just letting you know. I don't want your future girlfriend to make issues about our closeness. I guess it will be better not to find anyone soon."
 
"Well, I'm not planning on looking for one. Besides, I don't think I'm the noticeable type."
 
Joohyun whipped her head to Seulgi. "Are you serious? You're amazing and attractive. I'm sure it won't be hard for you to find a girl, court her, and get her to say yes."
 
"Really? I didn't know that you find me attractive," mused Seulgi, scratching the back of her head.
 
"Duh. Haven't you noticed the girls who are all trying to get your attention? You and Sooyoung can form a band, perform, and all your fans will be swooning over you, I bet."
 
Seulgi chuckled. "I'm not looking for one right now. My focus is my studies."
 
"Good! You should focus more on your studies than flirting. Besides, why would you need a girlfriend if you have me taking care of you already." Joohyun wagged her eyebrows.
 
"Agreed!" Seulgi smiled at Joohyun. "Plus, I don't want another woman bossing me around."
 
Joohyun smacked Seulgi's arm playfully.
 
After the laughter died, the two became silent as they stared at the ceiling.
 
"What do you think will happen to us next school year?" asked Joohyun.
 
"I don't know. But I'm sure I'm going to miss you this vacation," said Seulgi.
 
Joohyun smiled and moved closer to snuggle Seulgi's arm. "Oh, I'm gonna miss you too, Seulgi."
 
---
 
"How are you feeling?" Seungwan asked Joohyun.
 
"Just fine. Why'd you ask?"
 
"You seem to be lost in thoughts just a moment ago."
 
Joohyun combed her fingers through her hair. "Ah. That. I just remembered how I felt when that attack happened."
 
"Just that?"
 
Joohyun looked at the big screen in front of her and sighed. "Also her."
 
"What about her?"
 
"Seungwan, if you're trying to do this psych thing over me, stop it now."
 
"Hey. I'm not. I'm asking you as a friend."
 
"It just feels weird." Joohyun slumped on her chair. "I haven't seen her in seven years, but right now, for whatever reason, I feel connected to her more than ever."
 
Seungwan observed her friend. "Maybe it's because they're talking about your past, and you're nostalgic and all?"
 
Before Joohyun could respond, Krystal's voice echoed through the speakers.
 
"And then? Wait, wait, wait. Can we put a name to this girl?"
 
Amber looked at Seulgi and Sooyoung. "Uh..."
 
"Let's just call her Seulgi's ex-girlfriend. We don't want to use any names now," said Sooyoung. Seungwan and Joohyun laughed.
 
"Yeah, that's better. Although it's quite long, yeah, that's better," said Amber.
 
"You can just call her like how I did before," said Seulgi.
 
"You meant your endearment? And what was that?"
 
Seulgi turned to the other members of her troop and took a deep breath.
 
Joohyun moved forward, resting her elbow on her knee and cupping her chin.
 
"Honey," said Joohyun and Seulgi at the same time. Seungwan looked at her friend and smiled.
 
"Ooh. So, were you and Honey able to talk during vacation?" asked Krystal.
 
"No. I was with Captain Eunmi that time, following her wherever she was assigned."
 
"What? You spent your summer vacation in AEF HQ! That , man!" said Amber.
 
"There are no other places I can go, guys. I don't have a living family, remember?"
 
"But she's got an advantage, guys. Captain Eunmi was already giving her private training for SAU," said Sooyoung.
 
"No wonder you're so good right now, Cap, getting trained by one of the best SAUs that ever lived. You're lucky," said Krystal, saluting.
 
"But since you've got no communication with J--err... Honey," said Amber, correcting herself. "How was your vacation then?"
 
Seulgi turned to the window and smiled. "That was the longest two months of my life."
 
---
 
It was the start of another school year. Seulgi was more than excited to go back to her room in Dorm A. The classes are supposed to start by next week, but she came in a few days early because she's tired of staying in the HQ.
 
When she opened the door to their room, Seulgi noticed a familiar bag sitting on the bed--a bag that is not hers. She closed the door behind her and stepped into the room, finally seeing the person she's been missing these past two months.
 
Joohyun, who's busy arranging her stuff on the table, noticed the movement and turned around. A smile immediately appeared on her face.
 
"Seulgi!" Joohyun ran towards Seulgi and gave a powerful hug.
 
Seulgi struggled to maintain her balance for a moment as Joohyun jumped at her. "Hey..."
 
"Oh, my gosh! I missed you!"
 
"I missed you too! Haha!"
 
Joohyun pulled back and held Seulgi's shoulders. "How are you? Is your leg fully recovered now?"
 
Seulgi nodded. "I'm fine. And yes, fully recovered. Ready to face another Even."
 
Joohyun's eyebrows furrowed. "No more of that for now."
 
Seulgi chuckled. "Yes, princess." It was too late when she realised what she said.
 
Joohyun blushed a bit at that and looked away.
 
"How about you, how's your vacation?" asked Seulgi.
 
"It's more of a staycation. I was just indoors. You?"
 
"Same. I was just following Captain Eunmi around, staying in the HQ most of the time."
 
Joohyun looked at Seulgi like it's the first time she'd seen her. "I sure missed you," she said, holding Seulgi's left arm and squeezing it.
 
It was Seulgi's turn to blush. She avoided Joohyun's eyes. "Me too. I missed you. A lot."
 
"It's okay now. We have the whole school year to make up for the past two months."
 
"Agreed. Why don't we start with getting dinner together?"
 
"Dinner sounds great."
 
---
 
"Seulgi and Honey grew closer day after day," said Sooyoung. "We usually hang out altogether during dinner, with Honey and her best friend too. That's when I noticed how their closeness is slowly shifting into sweetness."
 
"And Cap and Honey weren't aware of that?" asked Krystal.
 
"I believe they were both aware something's going on. But they are both in denial," said Sooyoung.
 
"Why?" asked Amber.
 
"Maybe they are too comfortable around each other, and putting a label on their relationship wasn't necessary."
 
"Then how did they become together?" asked Krystal.
 
"They eventually realised it when people outside their relationship started to challenge them."