UNTOUCHABLE

UNTOUCHABLE
"Good thing Krystal and Amber decided to take a cab back to the headquarters. I know you wouldn't want them to see you in this state," said Sooyoung. She tapped the person on the passenger's seat. "You'll be fine, Seulgi."
 
"I know. And thank you," said Seulgi, still sniffing. Her eyes are almost swelling due to nonstop crying for about an hour now. She looked out the window, trying to appreciate the view in front: city lights at night.
 
"Anytime. Did talking to her somehow made you feel better?"
 
"A bit, yes. It's still hard to accept it, but knowing she feels the same somehow lightens up the load." Seulgi stared at the view for a few moments before speaking again. "But you're right. It got the closure I was looking for. I used to think we'll eventually be back in each other's arms. But it's clear to me now. It's not going to happen again."
 
"Take your time. I know you've been trying to escape her memory for years. But now that you've come to face it, feel the pain. It will hurt, yes. But feeling it and admitting you're not okay is the first step to solving it."
 
"You're right. It feels lighter now somehow. I guess that's what both she and I needed."
 
Sooyoung smiled at Seulgi. The two of them stayed silent for few more minutes, appreciating the view.
 
"I'm ready, let's go," said Seulgi.
 
"Okay!" Sooyoung started the car engine.
 
"No, I meant, I'm ready to move on with my life. Let's go to your place for a vacation."
 
Sooyoung's eyes widened, smile smearing across her face. "You're not joking, are you?"
 
"Does this face look like joking?"
 
Sooyoung laughed. "Okay! I'll book you a ticket right away!"
 
---
 
Seulgi jolted upon hearing the announcement in the airport about her flight boarding details. She didn't realise she dozed off.
 
"That's us," said Sooyoung, standing up.
 
Seulgi stood in line, looking around the place. She's not sure when she'll be assigned back here. It may take months, years, or never again. But she's got lots of memories here, memories that will always be dear to her.
 
She checked her watch, indicating it's quarter to five in the morning. She looked out the windows; it's still dark.
 
She's busy observing the other people around when she noticed a woman in a purple scrub suit standing at the entrance of the boarding area.
 
Due to the familiarity, Seulgi looked. The woman is slightly panting. A wide smile appeared across her face when she met eyes with Seulgi.
 
"Oh, it's Joohyun!" Sooyoung waved. Joohyun did the same. "Now I know why she asked for our flight schedule."
 
"She did?" Seulgi looked at Sooyoung.
 
Sooyoung just smirked and went back to standing in line.
 
Joohyun wiggled her fingers this time. Seulgi knew it was meant for her. They stared at each other for what seems like forever, with Seulgi trying to figure out why Joohyun is there.
 
But Seulgi got her answer when she saw Joohyun placed a hand over her heart, tapping it three times.
 
Seulgi couldn't help but give out a beautiful smile. She copied Joohyun's action.
 
Joohyun gave her a salute and mouthed, "Take care."
 
"Thank you. You too," Seulgi mouthed back. She raised her thumb before approaching the attendant to give her boarding pass. After that, she walked into the plane, feeling lighter and happier.
 
---
 
It's almost five-thirty now in Seulgi's watch. Sooyoung, who is sitting beside her, is already asleep. Seulgi turned to the window and saw how the sky is starting to light up now. The sun is slowly ascending on the horizon, bringing an orange colour to the surroundings.
 
She kept staring outside, observing the change that's taking place before her very eyes. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then she smiled.
 
For the first time in years, she's finally able to appreciate the beauty of dawn again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
- fin -