DISTANCE

UNTOUCHABLE
Troop C kept walking on the empty street, whispering into each other through their mouthpiece.
 
"After graduation, where were you assigned, Cap?" asked Amber.
 
"I was assigned here for a year. But after that, I got transferred to the Northern Base Camp."
 
"That's far from here," said Krystal. "Was that the reason you broke up?"
 
"Nope. We were in a long-distance setup for years. I visit here whenever I get vacations."
 
"You must've missed each other a lot at that time. I know the feeling," said Sooyoung.
 
Seulgi smiled.
 
---
 
"Hey, baby..."
 
"Seulgi! My gosh. I missed hearing your voice!"
 
"I missed hearing your voice too. How are you?"
 
"Doing great because my baby is going home next week."
 
"Haha! Me too! I can't wait to see you."
 
"You have no idea how much I'm missing you now, Seulgi."
 
"Awe. I'm sorry if I was busy lately."
 
"Totally cool. I understand that my girlfriend's got a world to save."
 
"But I promise that next week, until the rest of my vacation, it'll be just you and me."
 
"Awe... I love you! I love you! I loooove you!!!"
 
"Haha! Oh, I love you more, Hyun-ah."
 
After eleven months of not seeing Joohyun, barely talking on the phone due to schedule conflict with their works, Seulgi was more than eager to see her girlfriend. She told Joohyun she was going home next week when in fact, she was going home today. Joohyun's dad helped in surprising by making sure Joohyun stays in her room that day. Seulgi arrived at the house silently, greeted by Joohyun's dad warmly. Joohyun's mom, as usual, just ignored her. But Seulgi didn't mind. What's important is she's going to see Joohyun any second now.
 
Seulgi knocked on the door three times.
 
"Come in," said Joohyun from the inside.
 
Seulgi smiled. Slowly, she turned the knob and pushed the door open, smelling Joohyun's scent. She felt more excited as she'll be able to hug and hold her girlfriend again.
 
Joohyun, who was lazily lying on her bed, turned around to look at the person who entered her room. Her eyes widened.
 
"Oh my gosh!"
 
"Surprise."
 
"Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Eeeeeeee!" Joohyun quickly ran to Seulgi and jumped into her arms.
 
Seulgi's back hit the door when she caught Joohyun in her arms. She laughed.
 
"Oh my gosh! I thought... I thought you were..."
 
"That's why it's called a surprise, Hyun."
 
Joohyun pulled back and gripped Seulgi's left arm.
 
"What are you doing?" asked Seulgi.
 
"I'm just making sure this isn't imagination. Your arm is getting firm, huh?"
 
"Lot of workouts in the Base Camp."
 
"Do you even eat?"
 
"Of course. That's something we're forced to do there. Don't worry."
 
"Are there any girls flirting with you there?"
 
"We're all about killing Evens in there. No flirting or whatever."
 
"You better be, or else--"
 
Unable to control herself, Seulgi pulled Joohyun closer and crashed their lips into an affectionate kiss. It was a kiss of longing--hard and passionate. Joohyun cupped Seulgi's cheeks, edging her closer.
 
Getting carried away, Seulgi turned their bodies around so Joohyun would be leaning on the door. Seulgi's hands went underneath Joohyun's shirt and caressed the latter's stomach and back. Her hand finally found the hook at the back and unclasped her girlfriend's bra.
 
"Kids, lunch is ready," said Joohyun's dad from outside the door. Seulgi and Joohyun broke the kiss right away.
 
Joohyun pressed her lips together before answering, "Thanks, Dad. We're going down in a bit. Seulgi's just fixing... some of her stuff..."
 
"Cool. See you two in a few."
 
After the footsteps faded, Seulgi and Joohyun laughed at each other.
 
"Well, that was intense," said Joohyun, fixing Seulgi's collar.
 
"Was I able to relay to you how much I missed you?"
 
"Oh. You surely did. Could you please hook my bra back? We can't keep my mom and dad waiting."
 
"Sure." Seulgi wrapped her arms around Joohyun's body and kissed the latter while hooking the bra. She pulled back. "Done now."
 
Joohyun smiled and kissed Seulgi one more time. "C'mon. Let's have lunch for now. You can take my bra off later."
 
---
 
"You know, we could fit on your sofa if we keep sleeping like this."
 
Joohyun playfully slapped Seulgi's arm. She's adjusted her position on top of Seulgi, bringing her face further into the crook of Seulgie's neck. "I just want to feel you close all the time. You're going to be leaving soon anyway."
 
"You worry too much." Seulgi chuckled. "I just got here this morning. We still have the whole month to be together."
 
"Yeah. But you're still leaving..."
 
Seulgi felt the sadness in Joohyun's voice. "Joohyun, you know--"
 
"I know it's your duty, and that's what you've always aimed for. I just never thought it'd be this hard for me to be away from you. I miss you all the time."
 
"It's hard for me too."
 
"Don't mind me." Joohyun looked up at Seulgi, smiling a little. "As much as I hate you going away, I'm also proud that you're a part of AEF now. That's one of the reasons I liked you before because you're selfless."
 
"But you hate it at the same time?"
 
"Yeah, weird, right?" Joohyun pouts. Seulgi laughed. "Can I ask for a favour?"
 
"Sure. Anything."
 
"I know your goal was to always get into SAU, right? But I'm worried..."
 
"About?"
 
"You see, SAUs are our first line of defence from Evens. It's one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Apart from that, unlike AEFs, they have irregular vacation leaves due to the lack of staff. One of the SAU members dad knew didn't get a vacation for like two years."
 
Knowing where the conversation is heading, Seulgi smiled. "You don't want me to sign up for SAU?"
 
Joohyun looked down and ran her fingers on Seulgi's collarbone. "It's already hard for me being away from you for so long. And if you get into SAU, then something happens... I don't know... I think I'll go crazy..."
 
"Okay. Then I'll stay in AEF."
 
Joohyun's face lit up. "Y-you sure? I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to hinder you from your dreams. But I'm worried..."
 
"I know. I know," said Seulgi, caressing Joohyun's back. "I understand. Being in AEF isn't bad. I still help in saving the world, right? Besides, I don't want my girlfriend worrying all the time."
 
"Thank you." Joohyun leaned closer to kiss Seulgi. It's soft and gentle but full of affection.
 
They stayed still for seconds until Seulgi kissed back, increasing the intensity. She wrapped her arms around Joohyun's waist, turning to switch their positions, with Joohyun lying on the bed now and Seulgi on top of her.
 
The kiss grew deeper. Seulgi's hands were all over her girlfriend's body. Their bodies are grinding together, moving in rhythm in every sensation.
 
That night they made love like there's no tomorrow.
 
---
 
"When I started my relationship with Sungjae, I understood what Captain went through before. A long-distance relationship is hard," said Sooyoung. "Vacation is always heaven, but the departure is hell, especially when it's nearing. I remember your ex used to cry before all the time."
 
Seulgi nodded. "Every single time. The first time I was assigned to another HQ wasn't that big deal because it's just near. However, the second time I left was harder. I was assigned to Hishii."
 
"Wow. That's too far from here. Did she go with you to the airport, Cap?" asked Amber.
 
"I couldn't let her come with me, " said Seulgi, sighing, remembering how it felt before. "She'll be crying, and it'll be both harder for us."
 
---
 
"Everything's set?" asked Joohyun's dad, holding the cab door with one hand and leaning forward to check on Seulgi inside.
 
"Yes, sir. Thank you for having me this whole month," said Seulgi.
 
"As long as you keep my daughter happy, I would be glad to have you here over and over."
 
Seulgi smiled. Her eyes shifted to the window in Joohyun's room, checking if her girlfriend could be looking out.
 
"She'll be okay," said Joohyun's dad. "She'll come around. Call her once you've landed."
 
"I will. Thank you again, sir."
 
"Anytime. Be safe, kiddo. See you around!" The dad closed the cab door, and Seulgi was taken to the airport.
 
Seulgi's waiting in the boarding area for more than an hour now. She clasped her hands together, remembering what it felt like to touch and hold Joohyun. She's missing every inch of her girlfriend now; her lips, smile, scent, voice, and everything. It's going to be another three to six months before she gets to see Joohyun again.
 
She's starting to wonder how long they are going to endure this kind of setup. Will Joohyun be able to hold on? She can't imagine now what her life will be like without Joohyun.
 
Seulgi stood up after hearing the announcement about her flight. As she stood in line for the boarding, she noticed a girl in a familiar blouse, running and stopping at the entrance of the boarding area. The girl was panting.
 
It was Joohyun.
 
Seulgi swore she wanted to jump out from there and hug the girl. But Joohyun's assuring smile told Seulgi everything's going to be okay.
 
Joohyun placed her hand on her chest, over her heart, and tapped it lightly three times.
 
Seulgi knew what it meant. She nodded and smiled. She mouthed, "I love you."
 
Joohyun mouthed back, "I love you too."
 
Seulgi gave one last smile before handing her boarding pass to the attendant, promising herself to be back in Joohyun's arms as soon as she can.