BIRTHDAY

UNTOUCHABLE
"Mrs Bae, a pleasure to see you here. Your daughter just came by."
 
Joohyun's mom bowed to Commander Sunny and Seulgi. "I was in the room in the other wing, with her husband. I came here when I heard the news."
 
"Did Joohyun tell you about it?" asked Commander Sunny.
 
"No. The assigned nurse in Junmyeon's room told us."
 
"I see." Commander Sunny looked at Seulgi and went back to Joohyun's mom. "I suppose I'll leave you guys to talk for a bit."
 
Seulgi wanted Commander Sunny to stay. But the older lady bowed her head. "Thank you, Commander."
 
When Commander Sunny left the room, Seulgi's head is full of questions about Joohyun's mom's motive. As far as she can remember, this woman never liked her.
 
"How are you feeling?" asked the older lady, her voice with a hint of concern.
 
"F-fine. Thanks for asking. How's he?"
 
"He's recovering. It may take him a bit of time because he's got several fractured ribs. But yes, he's doing fine."
 
"That's nice to know. And, uh, Yerim?"
 
"She's in our house with her nanny. Joohyun will pick her up later after her shift to visit Junmyeon."
 
Seulgi pressed her lips together, nodding slowly.
 
"I haven't thanked you yet for what you did," said Joohyun's mom.
 
Seulgi looked at the woman in the eyes and saw sincerity. "There's no need to thank me. It is my duty, Ma'am."
 
"I know. But still, thanks for not giving up on Yerim and Junmyeon. I am forever grateful for that." The woman touched Seulgi's arm.
 
Seulgi felt something different with that touch. She couldn't speak.
 
"And I'm sorry..." said the woman, on the verge of crying this time. "I'm so sorry about everything..."
 
"M-ma'am... please... don't cry..." Seeing Joohyun's mom cry like that melted all the hard feelings Seulgi harboured towards the older lady before.
 
"I'm sorry... I'm sorry for hurting you. Joohyun never cheated on you. It was me who asked Junmyeon to keep calling her that night. I did that because I couldn't bear seeing her sad and missing you all the time. I'm sorry if I hurt you..."
 
Seulgi bit her lower lip, trying to compose herself. It doesn't matter if Joohyun's mom had something to do with what happened. What broke her heart that night is when Joohyun admitted that she likes the doctor.
 
"Ma'am, it's all in the past now. You don't need to worry about it anymore."
 
"You still love her, don't you? You wouldn't go that far in saving her child and husband if you didn't."
 
Seulgi wanted to say no, but she knows the woman can read it all over her face. "Her happiness is my priority, Ma'am. I know she's moved on and contented now with her family. As long as she's happy, I'll be able to have a peaceful sleep at night."
 
The older woman looked down, wiping her tears and nose with the tissue. "She was lifeless for months after your break up. Took her about a year to finally accept things. Junmyeon waited patiently until she came around. That's the reason she didn't have second thoughts when he proposed to her, even if they've only dated for a short time. But after all that has happened, I am certain of one thing: she never forgot you."
 
Seulgi looked at the door, remembering Joohyun's expression earlier.
 
"She may not admit it to me, but I know she has never forgotten you," continued the older woman. "She may be happy with Yerim and Junmyeon, but that didn't stop her from watching the AEF channel daily for any updates from SAU, from you."
 
"Ma'am... I... I don't know what to say..."
 
"You don't need to say anything. I just thought you ought to know that. Again, I'm sorry for everything I have done against you."
 
"You are forgiven, Ma'am." Seulgi smiled a little.
 
"Thank you." The woman smiled warmly at Seulgi for the first time. "Oh, by the way. It's Yerim's birthday in three days. I know you never expect to hear this from me, but you and your troop are invited to come."
 
"We'd love to but--"
 
"Yerim is expecting all of you to come, especially you. Please don't disappoint her," insisted the older lady. "Junmyeon's still confined here in the hospital by that time. We'll have a little celebration here in the morning. We're expecting you to join us for a little dinner celebration at our house. Junmyeon's sister already agreed to look for him that night, so we're hoping you'd come."
 
"Does she know about this?"
 
"Joohyun? Yes. Yerim's been begging her to invite you to our house since yesterday."
 
Seulgi smiled, remembering Yerim's cute face. "I'll talk to the troop about it."
 
---
 
"Did you ever imagine there will come a time you'd be buying gifts for your ex-girlfriend's daughter?"
 
"Shut up, Amber," said Seulgi. She's currently looking at a cute green turtle plush toy. "We've been invited to her birthday party, might as well give her a gift, right? Plus, it's Yerim we're talking about. You know how adorable she is."
 
"Of course, she's adorable. She's the replica of her mom."
 
"Amber, what the hell is that?" asked Krystal, who just came back from the other aisle. "Are you seriously giving Yerim toy guns?"
 
"Excuse me; this isn't just toy guns. There's also a toy radio and a retractable toy knife. Any kid will be thrilled to have this," said Amber proudly.
 
Krystal rolled her eyes. "Did it ever occur to you that Yerim may not be interested in those?"
 
"It's worth a try. Who knows, she may be interested in being part of SAU when she grows up."
 
"I hope there will be no need for new SAU recruits by that time. Otherwise, it means we failed," said Sooyoung, picking up the cooking set from the shelf. "You think this is good?"
 
"Yes, Sooyoung. Far better than what Amber got."
 
Amber hugged the toy to her chest. "Nothing's wrong with my gift!"
 
"Will you two stop bickering?" said Seulgi, turning to them. "If you keep doing that I'm going to think you two like each other."
 
Amber and Krystal looked away, both blushing. Sooyoung silently chuckled.
 
"How about you, Cap? Happy with that?" asked Sooyoung.
 
"Yeah. I'm good with this." Seulgi smiled at the turtle, staring at its big round eyes. "I have a feeling she'll love this. Come on. Let's pay."
 
While walking to the cashier, Sooyoung walked closer to Seulgi. "Have you decided on where to go this vacation? You're suspended, right?"
 
"Yeah. Sadly. But everyone's right. I need it. I just haven't decided where to go yet."
 
"You're always welcome in my place. I'm sure someone will be thrilled to see you."
 
Seulgi smiled. "To be honest, I've kind of missed her too. It's just that there are some distractions."
 
"Totally understand. Maybe you two need to talk..."
 
Seulgi raised an eyebrow. "Talk with Joohyun?"
 
Sooyoung nodded. "Yeah. You haven't got a real talk after your break up, right? You didn't get the chance in the hospital either. Maybe tonight is the time that you two can sort of catch up..."
 
"And what am I suppose to expect from this catch-up?"
 
"I don't know... closure?"
 
"Is her having her own family not a sign for me to accept that everything is over?"
 
"Well, it doesn't seem to me since you're still thinking about her."
 
Seulgi exhaled. "I'm not sure if that's going to happen. I'm not even sure if doing that will help me or put me into more agony."
 
Sooyoung tapped Seulgi's shoulder. "Either way, it'll help you move on. It's about time you talk. It's been seven years. A little chat won't harm."
 
Seulgi took another deep breath. "I hope you're right, Sooyoung."
 
---
 
"Captain, are you alright?"
 
Seulgi turned to Krystal, who's sitting beside her in the back seat. Amber and Sooyoung were in front, the latter driving.
 
"I'm fine. Just a bit... cold..."
 
"Amber, please lower the AC a bit. Captain's feeling cold."
 
Amber whipped her head at them. "Feeling cold? Why? Nervous?"
 
"Have you forgotten that she suffered a minor injury?" asked Krystal, annoyed. "Just lower it now, will you?"
 
"Aye! Aye! You're scarier than Captain!"
 
Seulgi laughed at Krystal and Amber. She saw Sooyoung looking at her through the rearview mirror with teasing eyes. Seulgi rolled her eyes and looked out the window.
 
Amber's right. She's nervous. Freaking nervous.
 
Can't blame her. Yerim's party is taking place in Bae's house, the same place where Seulgi used to spend her vacations before.
 
The same place where she and Joohyun shared a lot of memories together.
 
She hasn't been around this area for years now. Although a lot has changed, there are still some parts that are still the same. She remembered how she and Joohyun used to walk in that street before. The tree where they relax for a while. The see-saw where they spent a lot of time chatting.
 
And... the house.
 
"We're here." Sooyoung pulled over to the side.
 
"Wow. Looks like a rich family." Amber stared up at the three-storey house.
 
"Her dad was a doctor, and Joohyun's an only child so..." Sooyoung unbuckled her seatbelt. She turned to Krystal and Seulgi at the back. "You two ready?"
 
The four of them walked over to the house. It was Joohyun who opened the door for them.
 
"Hi, Sooyoung!" said Joohyun, looking pretty in her white dress. "Hello Amber, Krystal... and Seulgi. I'm glad you guys made it here."
 
Seulgi felt her heart beating fast with that quick eye contact with Joohyun.
 
"Thank you for inviting us, Ms Joohyun," said Krystal.
 
"Yeah, it's our pleasure to be here, Ms Joohyun!" said Amber lively.
 
"No need for formality. We're about the same age, you know," said Joohyun, slightly embarrassed. "Come in here now."
 
As all of them stepped inside, running footsteps descended the stairs. From the hallway, Yerim appeared, wearing a cute purple dress with a purple headband.
 
"Seulgiiii!" said Yerim, running towards Seulgi and hugging her legs. "You hewe!"
 
"We're also here, Yerim," said Amber, trying to get the kid's attention.
 
"Move aside, Amber. You're going to scare her again." Krystal stepped forward. "Happy birthday, baby!"
 
"Thank you," said Yerim, smiling sweetly, still hugging Seulgi's leg.
 
Sooyoung crouched to level the kid's eyes. "Happy birthday, you sweet little thing."
 
Yerim moved forward to kiss Sooyoung on the cheek and went back to hugging Seulgi's leg.
 
"What about me, Yerim? Can I get a kiss, too?" asked Amber.
 
Yerim shook her head no. Everyone laughed.
 
Seulgi, overwhelmed by the Yerim's cuteness, carried the kid and kissed her temple. "Hmm. You smell nice. How's the birthday girl?"
 
"Fine..." said Yerim, busy touching Seulgi's white dress shirt. "No holes?"
 
"Haha. Nah. I don't have pockets now, sweetie."
 
"S'okay." Yerim smiled then turned to her mom. "Mommy, Seulgi," she said, hugging Seulgi's neck.
 
Seulgi felt her face warming up. She awkwardly looked at Joohyun, who's got the same expression.
 
"Your mommy and I already know each other, sweetie..." said Seulgi.
 
"Mmm-mmm. Mommy and I always watch TV to see Seulgi..."
 
Joohyun looked embarrassed. "Err..."
 
"Joohyun, what's for dinner?" asked Sooyoung. "We're excited to get a taste of your cooking!"
 
Joohyun recovered and looked at Sooyoung. "Dinner's waiting for us. Let's dig in!"
 
---
 
"... Happy birthday, dear Yerim... happy birthday to you..."
 
Everyone at the table clapped after Yerim blew her candles.
 
"What's your wish, sweetie?" asked Joohyun.
 
Yerim hugged the turtle plush toy gift from Seulgi against her chest. "Mmm. I wish... I wish Daddy would go home soon..."
 
"Don't worry, sweetie. Daddy's going to be home in few days. We'll all be together again." Joohyun kissed her daughter's cheek.
 
Seulgi looked down at her plate, trying to let go of the jealous feeling starting to build up in her chest.
 
It's weird. She both enjoys and hates being in that place right now. Seeing Joohyun again after seven long years still gives her this giddy feeling. She missed seeing those smiles. She missed hearing Joohyun's voice and her laughs. She enjoys watching how Joohyun moves and interacts with people. Although she noticed that Joohyun avoids eye contact with her, she still missed the mere presence of this woman near her.
 
However, the more she stays in this place, the more she is reminded that Joohyun is already happily married to a man and has a kid with him. It hurts to think Seulgi's no longer part of her happiness. The longer Seulgi stays there, the more she feels Joohyun being away.
 
Maybe it's time to accept things now.
 
Maybe this is the closure Sooyoung was talking about.
 
Seulgi knows it deep inside; whatever happened between them in the past, no matter how beautiful it is, it's over.
 
And it will never happen again.
 
"... and I also wish that Seulgi won't cwy anymowe..."
 
Seulgi lifted her head after hearing Yerim mention her name. Whatever the kid said didn't register. But the stares aimed at her made her feel that something's not right.
 
Joohyun's mom cleared . "Who's ready for dessert?"