MIRACLE

UNTOUCHABLE
"Help me understand why we didn't know there's a colony nearby!" demanded Commander Sunny. "I've sent four people there! Just four people!"
 
Doctor Minho tried calming down the frantic lady in front of her. "Commander, we believe that this is an unintentional colony that was recently built."
 
"Unintentional?"
 
Doctor Minho showed a map. "You see, we started with the Cleansing operation from outside to inside. After bombings on these cities, the 'outside' cities, we believe that the remaining Evens from those places were grouped. And as we continue 'inwards', they are getting cornered until they all squeezed in the last place that we're going to Cleanse today, which is the Jeoswa Village."
 
Commander Sunny placed her arms on the table and massaged her temples. "I don't care about what you're saying. All I care about is how are we going to save those people? Your bombs don't seem to be working!"
 
Doctor Minho swallowed a lump in his throat. "Those are still prototypes, Commander. But if your concern is their safety, they only have to get out of that village, and they will be safe."
 
"With that number of Evens, they can just easily pass the Retter barriers, Doctor."
 
"Yes, Commander. That is truly correct. However, in case you have forgotten, the cities outside the village are already Cleansed. The after-effect of the Retter Bombs we used is strong that Evens won't dare going out Jeoswa."
 
Commander Sunny's face lit up. "Are you saying that there's still hope? Troop C can still survive?"
 
"Yes, Commander. They have to get out of the village."
 
"Dispatch four motorcycles to Jeoswa now!" said Commander Sunny. "Get there as fast as you can!"
 
She looked around and saw Seungwan, an older lady, and the mother of the kid who's holding a tissue to her nose.
 
Commander Sunny wanted to approach them and tell them that everything will be alright, that everything is under control.
 
But she knows she'll be lying.
 
She knows that it will only take a miracle for Troop C to survive that massive amount of Evens.
 
---
 
Everyone's starting to get exhausted now. The running is already taking its toll on them. The boosters won't work if the human body is also tired.
 
But they can't stop now. Stopping would mean the end of them.
 
"Sooyoung, can you hear me?" asked Commander Sunny.
 
"Yes, Commander!" Sooyoung shouted while running.
 
"You'll just have to get past the gate, and you'll be safe."
 
Sooyoung's eyes searched for the gate, which is still about three kilometres away from them. "B-but Commander--"
 
"That's your only chance to live."
 
Sooyoung looked at Amber and Krystal, who heard the conversation too. Seulgi doesn't have any idea as she doesn't have her radio anymore. "Roger that, Commander."
 
"Please relay it to your Captain as well. Over and out."
 
"Captain!" called Amber. "Commander Sunny says that we just have to get past the gate, and we'll be safe!"
 
Seulgi immediately searched for the gate. "But it's too far!"
 
"She says that's our only hope!" added Krystal.
 
Seulgi held onto Yerim tighter now. "Okay! Let's aim for the exit!"
 
It wasn't a smooth run. As expected, apart from the herd running after them, Evens pop out of nowhere, attacking them. Sooyoung, Krystal, and Amber aren't killing them anymore. Instead, they are just pushing the Evens away.
 
The goal is to get past the gate, and that's what they will do.
 
"Oh my gosh!" Krystal looked behind and noticed that the herd is almost reaching them now. "Run faster, guys!"
 
"Easier said than done!" said Amber.
 
"We don't have a choice, do we?" retorted Krystal.
 
Vroom! Vroom!
 
The troop was surprised when they saw a red Ford Mustang entered the village's gate in haste. The car is running towards them.
 
"Is that reinforcement?" asked Sooyoung.
 
"I don't know. But I have a feeling it's here to help us," said Seulgi.
 
Yerim lifted her head and looked at the car. "Daddy..."
 
Seulgi's eyes widened. "W-what?"
 
The kid pointed at the car approaching them. "Daddy's caw..."
 
"The Evens will still be able to catch up with us even if we ride that car," said Krystal.
 
Seulgi stared at the car and noticed it's not speeding down. "I don't think he's here to pick us up..."
 
The car went past them and into the herd of Evens. The driver kept stepping on the gas repeatedly so the engine would make a vibration to distract the Evens.
 
This was an effective move because the Evens started chasing the car while it drives around the village.
 
The troop stopped for a bit when they realised what is happening.
 
"That's insane. The Evens will eventually catch up with him," said Amber.
 
"He's doing that because he wants us to get out of the village! Let's continue, guys!" said Seulgi, her eyes fixed at the gate. "There's no time to waste!"
 
"Daddy!!!" Yerim cried, stretching out her hand in her daddy's direction.
 
Seulgi felt hurt at the sound of the cry. But she has no choice now. Her priority is to save the kid--even just the kid.
 
"I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm so sorry..." Seulgi whispered.
 
The car continued running around the village, with the Evens following it until Troop C finally reached the gate. They climbed in immediately into the GAZ Tiger armoured vehicle they used. Amber is still the driver. Sooyoung sat in front while Seulgi, Yerim, and Krystal at the back.
 
Amber started the engine and started driving away from that place.
 
"Daddy..." Yerim continued crying, her eyes focussing on the window.
 
Seulgi looked at the window and saw that the Evens are already holding up the car. She knew it wouldn't take too soon before they kill him.
 
Then she looked again at Yerim, who's crying hard now. She hugged the kid in her chest as the kid's frame shook hard against her body.
 
"Daddy... Daddy... Daddy..."
 
Krystal gave Seulgi an apologetic look. They know they couldn't do anything.
 
Seulgi rubbed her hands at the back of the kid, who's already wetting her suit with her tears.
 
Then a memory flashed on her mind.
 
She remembered the day her dad died, how it happened. She remembered the last look on her dad's face before he ran away. She remembered the sight of her dad's floating body on the river.
 
She remembered the pain.
 
She looked at Yerim, then to the window. The car is still somewhat running, but the Evens are starting to corner it now.
 
Seulgi took a deep breath.
 
There's still hope.
 
She felt her heart started beating fast. This always happens whenever she gets the urge to save someone.
 
Seulgi placed the kid on her lap. "Sweetie, listen to me..."
 
"Daddy..."
 
"Shhh... look at me... listen to me..."
 
Yerim stared at her, eyes puffy.
 
"Whatever happens today, promise me you'll take care of your mom when you grow up, okay?"
 
The kid looked at Seulgi with questioning eyes.
 
"Could you promise me that, Yerim?"
 
Yerim nodded. "I... I pwomise..."
 
"Good girl." Seulgi kissed the kid on the forehead and handed her over to Krystal. "Cover her eyes, will you?"
 
Krystal hesitantly took the kid. "What? Why, Cap?"
 
Seulgi is getting more nervous now more than ever.
 
"Cap, something wrong?"
 
Seulgi shook her head. The images of her dead dad are still fogging her mind. She looked at Yerim one last time, tears flowing down the child's cheeks.
 
And without saying another word, Seulgi jumped out of the vehicle.