Need to breathe

Balancing act

 


The next day, Namjoon and Jin decided it was time to explore more of the area and meet Namjoon's family. Jin smiled excitedly, walking down the brilliant Seoul streets. He kept his hand locked in Namjoon's grasp, leading him to countless stores, food carts, and parks. They stopped by a crane machine. Namjoon smiled widely. 

"Babe, I want to try the crane machine!" He said.

Jin nodded.

"Go on then, win big!" He encouraged.


A few hours passed, Namjoon and Jin finally made their way to Namjoon's parents house. Namjoon stopped a little ways away from the house, suddenly staying quiet. Jin looked back at him, smiling. 

"What's wrong?" He asked.

Namjoon slowly shook his head.

"I...I uh...I'm nervous..." He mumbled.

Jin pulled Namjoon into a tight embrace.

"Aww Joonie, it's okay. Take a deep breath." 

Namjoon nodded, drawing a deep breath.

"Okay." He whispered.

Namjoon knocked on the door, his father swung open the door, cocking his head to the side.

"N-namjoon?" He whispered, sounding surprised.

Namjoon stayed silent, smiling shyly. His father started laughing and a smile spread across his face. He quickly pulled the boys inside and went to get Namjoon's mother. A few minutes later, Namjoon heard his mother squeal excitedly and run out of the room. Namjoon laughed, hugging his mom tightly. 

"How has America been? Meet any girls? And who's your friend?" His mom asked, eyeing Jin.

"It's been great. We have a lot of friends there now. And this is Jin...he's one of my best friends and roommates. He's orignally from here but studying English in California. We all share a house together. Us and 5 others."  Namjoon said. 

Jin looked at Namjoon, sighing slightly but staying quiet. Namjoon's parents nodded bowing to Jin. Jin bowed back, politely. 

"Well, it's kind of late but would you like to go out for a drink?" She asked. 

Everyone agreed, finding a 24 hour restaurant in the area. Jin stayed quiet for the majority of the night. Namjoon placed a hand on Jin's leg under the table, squeezing lightly. After dinner, the four of them headed back to Namjoon's parents house. They said their good nights and went to their rooms. Jin immediately crawled into bed, shutting his eyes. Namjoon stared at him, curiously.

"You seemed...quiet tonight." He commented. 

Jin rolled his eyes, annoyed.

"Well yea. No ." He muttered in response.

Namjoon stared, furrowing his brows.

"What?" He asked.

Jin sat up, glaring at Namjoon.

"Did you forget?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You were supposed to tell them!" Jin said, raising his voice a little.

Namjoon gulped nervously. He looked away, blushing from embarrassment.

"Right...well...we're here for a few more days still. And is it really that big of a deal?"

Jin teared up slightly.

"Kind of.." He said simply. 

"Okay. I'm sorry. I'll tell them tomorrow. Okay?" Namjoon said, wiping Jin's tears away.

Jin nodded.

"Okay." He said leaning towards Namjoon, kissing his lips gently. 

The two of them fell asleep quickly that night. The next morning, Namjoon woke up early, watching jin sleep peacefully while he quietly read an old favorite book of his. Namjoon's mom knocked quietly before entering the room.

"Your father and I are going to work but it supposed to be nice out. Go take a walk by the river or something. Have fun!" She said, kissing his head and leaving. 

Eventually, a few hours passed, and Jon finally woke up. Namjoon had been playing with his hair while reading. He smiled.

"Morning sleepy head." He said, brushing his fingers through Jin's hair.

Jin smiled.

"Morning babe. What are going to do today?" He asked.

Namjoon shrugged.

"Anything you want. Its your trip."

The boys decided to go to Jeju island for the day. They took a ferry, along the way, many pictures were taken. Namjoon noticed Jin leaning against the railing of the boat. He smiled, walking up to him and wrapping his arms around his boyfriends waist.

Jon smiled, kissing his cheek.

"You excited?" He asked.

Namjoon nodded.

Finally, the ferry docked and they were able to get to get to their destination. 

"Wow, its beautiful here. Maybe we should stay here a few days." Namjoon commented.

Jin smiled.

"Maybe. But don't you want to spend more time with your parents? You haven't seen them in a while." He replied.

Namjoon nodded.

"True. We only have a couple more days left of our trip. What if we left to go back to Seoul tomorrow?" He offered.

Jin nodded.

"Sure. Let them know. I'll call a hotel to see about reservations." 

A while later, after their reservations were placed, they walked around the beach. Soaking up the sun and feeling more peaceful than ever. They spent hours at that beach, relaxing and enjoying each other's company. Finally, they went back to their hotel for the evening. It was quiet and small, but perfect for the evening. 

"So...you'll tell them when we get back...right?" Jin asked.

Namjoon stayed quiet for a second.

"Uh..yea. no sweat baby." He answered, slightly nervous. 

Jin stared at Namjoon silently.

"Are you sure?" He questioned.

Namjoon nodded slowly.

"You don't seem so sure..." Jin muttered.

Namjoon sighed, hesitating a while to answer.

"I'm not.." he finally answered.

"But why?" Jin asked.

"I can't see them being okay with this.." 

"But you never know until you try." 

Namjoon nodded.

"I know. But I just... your parents were so nice and accepting immediately..what if mine aren't?" He said, worried.

Jin nodded.

"I know but-"

"No. You don't get it. Jin, they may seem nice but they are really judgemental." He stated.

Jin stayed silent, feeling slightly insulted.

"O-oh.." was all he managed to say. 

"Look...I don't feel comfortable telling them right now and I shouldn't have to tell them right now if I don't want to." Namjoon said sternly.

Jin huffed.

"Okay. Fine. I don't get what the big deal is but it's fine. We'll deal with that when it comes to it then." Jin answered.

"Thank you." Namjoon said.

For the rest of the evening, they sat on the balcony quietly watching the waves roll off the rocks and drinking champagne. Eventually, Namjoon started to get tired and decided to try going to sleep. 

"Goodnight." Namjoon said, kissing Jin's lips softly.

Jin smiled against the kiss, kissing back.

"Goodnight." He whispered.

As soon as Namjoon left, Jin finished the rest of what little champagne they had left and decided to call him mom. She answered, tiredly.

"Are you alright?" She instantly asked.

"Yes. I'm great. Just felt like talking. Namjoon and I are at a hotel on Jeju island. He got sleepy so he's going to bed.

"Is he treating you well still?" She asked.

"Yes he is. But he's too scared to tell his parents about us and honestly it bothers me." 

"Well, how long did it take you to tell us?" She asked.

Jin blushed and his eyes widened, remembering the first time when him and Namjoon were official and he video chatted with his parents. He felt terrible.

"I guess it's been a few months...huh?"

"There, so don't pressure him so much, love. I'm sure he wants to tell them but give him time." She responded.

"God I feel terrible. I feel so selfish.." 

The line was quiet for a few minutes. Namjoon quietly got up to get some water and check on Jin. He smiled seeing him.

"Do you love him?" Jin's mother asked.

Jin smiled and laughed.

"Absolutely..I don't question my love for him for a second. But I can't tell him that yet..I don't know if he's ready and I don't want there to be any awkwardness when one of us says it but doesn't get it said back." 

It took everything Namjoon had to not start squealing happily. He quickly and quietly went back to bed, pretending to be asleep. Eventually, Jin ended the call and crawled into bed with Namjoon. He watched Namjoon sleeping and caressed his cheek.

"I'm sorry..I love you." he whispered.