Lunar New Year

Balancing act

With classes in full swing, days, weeks,  and months flew by. Namjoon managed to get Jin a part time job at his music store job. With a new job and full class schedule, Jin hardly had time to himself. One day, he was at work, Namjoon was showing him how to tune some instruments. Jin was having trouble tuning one of them. Namjoon smiled fondly.

"Here, let me help you." He said, placing his gentle hands over Jin's hands.

Jin blushed slowly. 

"So uh..what's next?" He asked.

Namjoon tossed a towel and polish to him.

"We have to clean the instruments now, and sweep the shop before we can leave." 

Jin nodded, doing what he was told. Finally, it was closing time. At the end of their shift, Namjoon and Jin walked to the bus stop near by, Namjoon swung an arm around Jin's shoulders, smiling happily. The two just missed the bus. Jin sighed, disappointed. Namjoon shrugged.

"That's okay. Another comes soon. You did well today."

Jin smiled 

"Oh uh.. thank you." 

Jin started to look around, noticing all kinds of signs. Specifically, he noticed a sign for a lunar New year celebration happening over the weekend. He excitedly started tapping Namjoon's arm.

"Can we go?" He asked, quickly.

Namjoon laughed.

"Sure. I don't see why not." He answered, smiling. 

Finally, the bus showed up and the two boys took their seats. Jin stared out the window, watching the city lights illuminate through the dark skies. Namjoon smiled seeing the look of wonder come across Jin's face. Once they returned home, Jin immediately took to his desk to study for his English class. He quietly groaned in frustration. Namjoon knocked quickly.

"Come in." Jin muttered.

Namjoon entered with a glass of water.

"You need to stay hydrated." He said, flashing a sweet smile. 

Jin chuckled.

"Thank you."

Namjoon peered over Jin's shoulder to see what he was studying.

"How's studying going?" He asked.

Jin shrugged.

"Fine, I guess." He answered, yawning.

"You should sleep soon but for now, would you like help studying?" He asked.

Jin nodded.

"Uh..sure." he replied.

Namjoon smiled, instantly grabbing some flash cards from the desk and writing words on one side and their definition on the other. Writing both in Korean and English. 
Namjoon spent many hours helping Jin study. Jin started to feel bad because he could tell Namjoon was getting tired. He was too. Jin started falling asleep at his desk. Namjoon fell asleep on the floor next the Jin. Early the next morning, Jin jerked awake, scared to check the time. A wave of relief washed over him as he noticed it was still early. He stretched his back and noticed Namjoon still laying on the floor. He laughed.

"Namjoon..." He whispered, poking Namjoon's head.

"Namjoon." He said again.

He decided to shake Namjoon this time.

He finally opened his eyes, slowing looking up at Jin.

"Morning." Jin whispered.

Namjoon slightly blushed.

"Uh...hey..what time is it?" He asked.

"6am. We need to get ready for class." 

Namjoon nodded, yawning.

Jin smiled down at him, extending his hand. Namjoon took his hand, as Jin pulled him up. They quietly walked towards the bus stop. Namjoon laid on Jin, closing his eyes.
Once they got to school, they separated. Jin tiredly entered the classroom, taking his seat. After a few minutes, the teacher arrived.

"Alright class, we'll waste no time. Get out your homework assignments." He stated.

Jin nodded, reaching in his backpack to get the papers out. He face turned beat red, embarrassed as realization quickly set in that he had forgotten the papers at home. 
He gulped, nervously. The teacher was making his round, checking off the homework. He stood next to Jin. 

"Jin? Where is your homework?" He asked, curiously.

"U-uh...at home..." He mumbled, shyly.

"You're in college. And you forget your homework?" The teacher huffed and walked away.

Jin felt humiliated. Once class was over, he went to fill up his water bottle. He heard snickering from behind him. He turned around and saw a group of boys.

"U-uh...hi.." he said, shyly. 

"What are you wearing? we don't wear that in America. Go home." One of the boys said.

Jin blushed, shrugging.

"M-my mom sent me this from home for our new year..." He said, slowly.

The boys laughed.

", New year is January 1st." 

"But-" Jin tried explaining before the boys walked off. One of them pushed Jin hard against the wall the throwing him to the ground. 

Jin sat up, sighing. He noticed a tear in his silk shirt. He angrily yelled out to the guy who tripped him. The guy turned around as Jin went to punch him. The guy caught Jin's fist, twisting his arm and pushing him to the ground. Jin kicked the guys leg, making him fall too. He jumped on top of him, about to throw punches. Namjoon and his teacher were walking out of the classroom, they noticed and instantly rushed over. Namjoon pulled Jin off of the guy. 

"What is going on here?!" The teacher shouted.

Jin and the other student started yelling at the same time. The teacher stopped them in their tracks. 

"One at a time. You." Pointing to Jin.

"Explain."

"They were making fun of me for what I'm wearing." He said to Namjoon in Korean.

Namjoon translated.

The teacher nodded, looking at the group of boys.

"Well we don't tolerate that. If I catch you two fighting again, you'll both be suspended. Go on then."

"Come on Jin. Let's go home." Namjoon said, gently taking Jin's hand and leading the way.

Jin huffed, angrily.

Once they got home, Namjoon was dabbing Jin's bruises with liquid bandaid.

"You know fighting isn't the answer." He said.

Jin sighed.

"Yea I know. But they deserved it. They ruined my shirt." He pouted.

"Don't worry, love. What if we just get you a new one? But please, don't fight anymore. Okay?"

A few days past and it was finally the weekend. Namjoon worked on fixing jin's shirt. He smiled proudly when he was finished. That night was the lunar New year festival. Jin excitedly danced around his room, getting ready. He blushed playing different scenarios in his mind with Namjoon. He felt his face heat up. A knock was heard on the door.

"I have a surprise for you, Jin." Namjoon said.

Jin stared, Curiously.

"I know it's not exactly how it used to look but uh...I tried to fix your shirt.." Namjoon mumbled, shyly.

A huge smile spread across Jin's face and his eyes lit up. He hugged Namjoon tightly.

"Oh Namjoon...thank you so much."

Namjoon smiled, shrugging.

"W-well are you almost ready?" 

Jin nodded. 

All seven boys walked along the streets, excitedly trying the games and food booths. It was magical. Jin and Namjoon walked side by side, cracking jokes and laughing the entire time. Jin liked the way Namjoon made him feel. During the festivities, Jin noticed the kid from school he had gotten into a fight with. His smile instantly dropped. Namjoon saw that and immediately wrapped his arms around Jin's shoulders, shaking his head.

"He's not worth it." Namjoon whispered.

Jin Drew a sharp breath, nodding.

"O-okay." He answered.

Namjoon took Jin's arm and kept a gentle hold of it the entire time they were together. They wandered up and down every street, eventually noticing lanterns floating on the water, lighting up the night. Jin smiled widely. he felt right at home. He started to tear up at the thought of being away from home and his family for so long. A lot can change in a year. After the festival ended, the group decided to go out for drinks and dinner. But by this point, Jin was tired and just wanted to go home.

"I'll walk you home." Namjoon stated.

Jin stared, surprised.

"Oh well...you don't have to. I mean you're having such a good time and-"

"No, I'm fine. I dont mind. Really."

Without much more protesting, the two made their way towards the house.

"So, did you have fun?" Namjoon asked.

Jin nodded.

"It was amazing. Truly beautiful." 

Namjoon smiled, softly.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. But I bet it's nothing like how Korea celebrates." Namjoon answered.

Jin laughed.

"This time of year is stunning in Korea. Maybe someday I can show you. If you want." Jin said, nervously.

"I'd love that."

The two walked in silence for the rest of the time being.

"We're here. Uh...y-you can go now if you still wanted to be with your friends. I don't want to bur-"

Namjoon cut Jin's speaking with a gentle kiss. Jin's eyes widened and he felt his face flush red. He felt his heart beat fast. Namjoon quickly stopped, blushing.

"U-uh um... i-i'm sorry...i-"

Jin hugged Namjoon tight, nuzzling his face in the crook of Namjoon's neck.

"Please don't apologize." He whispered