Chap 5

To All The Dreams I've Loved

Renjun walked me back to class after attempting to give me a short pep talk. He was smooth with his words and even though they weren’t exactly the best words of encouragement, his voice brought on a sense of love similar to a mother’s to their newborn baby.

Upon reaching my class Renjun slid the door open and entered before me, “Mr. Soo, I’m sorry I had Hyeri help the student council and I with some errands,” he lied to the teacher and bowed his head.

“No no no Renjun don’t be sorry, I’m glad that a great student like you is always helping out the faculty,” Mr. Soo patted Renjun’s back. “The students were just doing some independent studying, Hyeri you can get back to your seat,” he smiled to me. Other students looked up at him in surprise, Mr. Soo was one of the stricter teachers at Hanroo High School, doing the most to make sure that the students uphold the standards of the school that makes it so prestigious. Every morning Mr. Soo would stand outside the gates and welcome all the parents of students that come from wealthy backgrounds. Some say he does it to up to the parents in hopes of a raise or better job offer, but no one really knows. Inside the school though, Mr. Soo watches each student like a hawk and always finds a way to scold them, from writing too sloppy to having a skirt a half-inch shorter than the minimum length. Only on rare occasions did any student see Mr. Soo smile, the few times being to the parents. With Renjun in the room it was like Mr. Soo was finally filled with life, he was joyous for once.

As I took my seat Renjun bowed once more to Mr. Soo, “Well I should get going to my class,” he kindly smiled.

“So soon? You can stay in this class and help me watch over them,” Mr. Soo motioned towards the students.

“No, I have to get back to class,” Renjun smiled as he turned to leave. 

As soon as the door slid close Mr. Soo turned back to the students that were still staring at him, “What are you looking at? Get back to studying,” he slapped the podium at the front of the classroom scaring the students.

“Hyeri,” Eunah who was sitting behind me poked my back with her pencil.

I quickly turned around and mouthed to her, “What?”

She leaned closer to the front of her chair so that I could hear her, “Are you okay?”

I nodded.

“What’s the deal with Renjun? I didn’t know you two knew each other,” she continued to whisper.

Under my breath I whispered back to her, “He caught me crying, then he asked me to go to an amusement park with him this weekend.”

“What?” Eunah screamed and stood from her seat, everyone turned towards her.

“Miss Lee, is something the matter?” Mr. Soo asked.

“No,” Eunah shook her head and sat back down in her seat.

After independent studying time ended, it was time for the exam, which surprisingly went well.

Lunch followed right after the exam.

Eunah tapped me on the shoulder, “Eat without me today okay? I have to finish my art project,” she pouted.

“I’ll go with you,” I offered.

She shook her head, “No, I’m working with clay so it has to be done in the art room and you know the fumes there can become strong. It’s just one day, it’ll be alright,” she patted my back and waved bye to me as she left. Usually, I would eat lunch with Eunah and Donghae but sometimes I ended up eating lunch alone because Eunah has to go complete a project or essay or resolve an issue to help her parents’ company that she wasn’t able to finish at home and typically, wherever Eunah goes Donghae goes. It’s not that I don’t have any friends I school, well kind of, I have many acquaintances at school that I’ve tried having lunch with but I just end up sitting there and eating in silence. I’ve tried making conversations but they always end up dying out quickly that it becomes awkward. On days that Eunah and Donghae have left me to fend for myself at lunch I’ve found it easier to just eat alone instead of trying to eat with others. 

I grabbed my boxed lunch and opened the Orange juice box that I started drinking during class and made my way towards the stone steps that outlook the soccer field. Typically there were boys that would play soccer on the field during lunch and today was no exception. To get to the field from my class I would have to pass by the gymnasium. Making my towards the gym I could head sneakers scuffing against the wood floors as multiple basketballs were being dribbled up and down the court. Getting closer I could feel the heat coming out of the huge double doors.

“Not too hard!” A male voice shouted as there was a loud clang.

“Watch out!” Another voice shouted as a basketball was nearing my face.

In the swiftest moment before the basketball could connect with my face an arm pulled me towards a firm body and the both of us stumbled, their body collided with the metal bar that held the structure overhead and they grunted. Two more balls whirled past us and they moved one of their hands to cover my head forcing me to bury my face deeper into their chest.

“Turn off the machine!” A voice in the gym barked.

“Help! I can’t get it to turn off!” More basketballs were being flung around inside the gym bouncing off the walls and the floor.

“Unplug the machine!” The person who was holding me captive shouted.

“Where’s the plug?” Frantic voices panicked.

Two more basketballs whirled past is, each time the person held me closer.

“Turn it off!” He barked at them.

“Hurry up! Turn it off before he gets mad!” Another voice squeaked.

“It’s not turning off!”

“I got it!” A voice cheered.

The person holding me let out a sigh of relief and let go of me, “Get off of me,” they growled.

“Sorry,” I quickly shifted away from them. As I did it revealed the orange stain all over their white button-up, the orange juice carton that was in my hand was completely crushed and there was no more orange juice in it. I gasped, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to-“

“You have to be fricken kidding me,” the one and only Lee Jeno looked down at his now orange shirt then his gaze lifted up to meet my eyes.

What do I do? In kdramas this would be the part where the girl tries to help wipe off the drink from the guy’s shirt but then the guy always ends up getting even madder at the girl and I don’t want that, at least not with Lee Jeno.

His eyes pierced my soul and I sat there in shock, I couldn’t feel my legs. He slowly stood up his eyes not leaving me.

“Hyung,” an underclassman ran out of the gym towards Jeno.

“What is going on?” Jeno screamed at the underclassmen that were making their way towards him, their heads looking down at the floor, none of them dared to make eye contact with him.

“Th-the machine got out of control,” one of the underclassmen confessed.

“What machine? We don’t use any machines in the practice gym,” Jeno continued to yell at them.

“Youngwoo brought one from home. We-we thought it would be go-good to use to pr-practice,” another underclassman stuttered.

“Wahhh nice shirt Jeno,” Haechan chuckled as he walked over and propped an elbow onto Jeno’s shoulder as he took a sip out of his chocolate milk in his other hand.

Jeno merely glared at him before averting his attention back towards the underclassmen, “Move that machine out of the gym and clean up the mess.”

“Oh annyeong,” Haechan chirped at me, he took his elbow off of Jeno’s shoulder and held out a hand for me to take.

Lifting myself from the ground without Haechan’s help I dusted my skirt off and picked up my boxed lunch from the ground that was still intact. Jeno swiftly turned and sauntered in the direction Haechan had come from. Quietly I bowed my head at the both of them even though Jeno wouldn’t see and quickly headed in my original direction of the stone steps leaving Haechan by himself.

I sat on the stone steps and opened my boxed lunch to see that the contents were no longer nicely organized but all mixed together.

Well, that could have been worse, I think. My orange juice is gone and now I have a mad Lee Jeno that could be after me because I stained his shirt. Would he have sympathy for me? It’s not like he can’t afford a new shirt or dry cleaning. Everyone at Hanroo High School comes from a wealthy background so he has money and won’t come after me right? I really messed up on this, didn’t I? I should’ve helped him somehow, but he already looked mad and I didn’t want to make things worse.


A/N: Hello readers~ I've started school again so updates will be slow but my goal is to update once at least every two weeks, eventually once every week. Also I've noticed that there are quite a bit filler chapters as I would call them that I've written so far and I do apologize, but I've read the actual by Jenny Han and want to keep it to keep the flow and realisticness of it.