Chap 2

To All The Dreams I've Loved

I stayed up that night studying for my exam and only slept for two hours. Getting out of bed was a hassle, but the idea of being late for the exam scared me so much that I was able to pull myself out of bed. 

“Bye Dad, bye Songhi!” I waved at my dad and younger sister that were eating breakfast in the kitchen.

“See you at dinner!” my dad called after me.

It wasn’t always just the three of us. My mother died in a car crash when I was twelve, the other person involved in the crash was drunk and steered into the wrong lane. I won’t forget the night it happened, it was the night of my ballet recital, last one that is. Since the accident happened, I haven’t touched pointe shoes. My mother had got off work late that night and rushed to see my performance, one thing led to another and she wasn’t able to swerve out of the way fast enough. After my performance had ended Dad and Songhi stood outside waiting for me with a bouquet of flowers, Songhi in Dad’s arms. Tears were streaming down his face and when I asked what happened he couldn’t speak, just pulled Songhi and I into a hug and cried. It was the first time I saw my father ever cry. Afterwards we rushed to the hospital and that was where I saw my mother for the last time, she wasn’t breathing, just laying on the bed lifeless.

Songhi was only three at the time and didn’t understand what was going on, she barely has any recollections of our mother.

Carefully I locked the front gate.

“Good morning,” a cheerful voice chirped behind me.

I turned around at the unfamiliar voice getting ready to possibly run away in the case it were a stranger trying to kidnap me.

“H-hi,” I stuttered at Jaemin who stood in front of me holding a carton of banana milk.

“This is for you,” he held out the banana milk.

Carefully taking it into my hand I blankly stared at him, “Thanks,” I sounded questioning.

“Can I walk you to school?” he pointed to the route I normally take to school.

I nodded still speechless and began walking first. It was odd hearing his voice, I think the last time I heard his voice was years ago and at the time his voice was light and cheery. Now it’s still cheery but deeper, it felt odd hearing his voice but comfortable at the same time, like his voice was a symbol of home. 

“Don’t you have school?” I tried starting a conversation. Usually Jaemin leaves before I do to get to school on time.

He smiled, “Later, actually I have late entry today.”

“I see you still wear a hair clip everyday,” he chuckled and pointed to my pearl beaded hair clip.

Instinctively my hand went up to touch the hair clip, “Yea,” I nodded.

“I remember when we were kids you got sad because when we were playing in the sand it somehow got stuck to my shirt along with part of your hair. You were crying so much because you were afraid that we had to cut your hair off to get it,” he laughed.

“That wasn’t funny,” I lightly hit him on the shoulder, “it was hard enough getting my hair to grow long.”

On the way to school we continued to recall our memories as children together, mainly laughing at how childish we were back then. It was refreshing getting to talk to him again.

When we reached school, I waved goodbye at Jaemin and he waited for me to enter the gates before leaving.