Chap 9

To All The Dreams I've Loved

“I’m at the front entrance,” Renjun’s soft voice spoke over the phone.

I had just arrived to the amusement park, Lotte World, and was searching for Renjun.

“Oh I see you!” he smiled and waved at me.

I made my way towards him, tugging my mini white handbag that was slung across my shoulder, “Sorry did you wait long?”

He shook his head, “No, let’s go,” he held up the tickets with one hand and grabbed my hand in the other, pulling me towards the large entrance.

As we stood in line for the security check I unconsciously stared at his back. He was wearing white sneakers, light blue skinny jeans, a plain white t-shirt and a light blue denim jacket that made his shoulders look broader and manlier for his small build.

“Bag miss,” the security guard held out his hand. Quickly I took off my handbag and offered it to him, who just as quickly checked it’s contents and handed it back to me after I passed through the metal detectors.

Renjun waited on the other side for me as I walked through. He opened up a map and asked, “Where should we go first?” leaning closer to me as he did.

“How about we start off small first?” I pointed to the Viking ship.

He looked up and smiled showing his small canine, “Yea,” he interlaced my hand in his and led the way to the Viking ship.

Surprisingly the Viking ship went higher than we had thought and the both of us ended up screaming at the top of our lungs as it flipped us up in the air. Next, we had gone on a few roller coasters that left my legs shaking, on the other hand, Renjun was enjoying the thrill each ride came with.

“Should we do that next?” he pointed at the large gyro drop that stood at least five kilometers high.

I gulped, “I think I’ll sit out on this one.”

He frowned, “Come on, it’ll only be fun if we both do it together.”

“It-it looks really high Renjun, I don’t know.”

“I’ll be there with you,” he smiled showing his canine again, “I’ll hold your hand if that helps,” he held out a hand.

I sighed, “You better not let go,” I said as I put my hand into his and we both ran to the line.

“Please make sure to fasten your seatbelts, an attendant will be by shortly to buckle you in and make sure you are strapped in,” the man on the intercom went off as we both sat in the seats of the gyro drop.

“Arms up,” an attendant instructed us as he tugged on our seatbelt and pulled down the safety bar that would keep us in place. “Alright you’re good,” he said as he went on to the next pair.

“Ready?” Renjun asked.

“No,” I squeezed his hand that was in mine.

“Just breathe. In and out,” he tried to help me pace my breathing.

In and out, I chanted in my head. In and out.

“We’re good!” the attendant yelled.

“Alright everyone, please enjoy your ride and we hope you enjoy the view,” the man on the intercom went off.

Slowly we started to ascend upwards.

“Renjun,” I panicked and squeezed his hand harder as I shut my eyes closed.

“It’s okay, I’m here,” he shouted over the wind.

For what seemed like ages we continued to ascend. Finally, it came to a stop.

“Wow, open your eyes! You need to see the view!” Renjun said.

Slowly I opened an eye then the other to see the breathtaking view before me. In front of us was not just the rest of the amusement park we hadn’t visited yet, but also the city we had lived in, from all the busy streets to skyscrapers. Then in the blink of an eye, we dropped.

“RENJUN!” I screamed.

“WAHHH!” he screamed on the top of his lungs.

Before we fully hit the ground we had slowed.

I took in a sharp breath, “Oh my gosh, it’s finally over.”

“Over? That was only the first drop,” Renjun giggled.

“WHAT?”

“That was only halfway up, we’re going all the way up now. See?” Slowly we had started to ascend once more, this time twice as longer than the last.

“No,” I had felt my soul leave my body.

“RENJUN!” I screamed at the top of my lungs when we had dropped the second time, keeping my eyes shut and clenching Renjun’s hand as hard as I could.

“WOOO!” Renjun screamed.

The gravity pulled down on us hard and it had felt as though my limbs were on fire.

“That was fun right?” Renjun asked as soon as we had reached the ground.

“No,” I breathed out.

“Thank you so much for riding with us, we hope you have a nice day,” the man on the intercom went off as the metal bars lifted.

I climbed out of the seat and tried my best to use my wobbly legs to support my upper body.

“We are not doing that again.”

“That was fun though,” Renjun pouted.

As we exited I had finally regained my strength.

“Do you want to take a short break?”

I nodded.

“Oh I know!” he grabbed my hand and started to drag me off.

Leading me into the main building of Lotte World he led me into a gift shop.

“Try these on,” he put on a pink headband with cat ears on my head.

I looked in the mirror in front of us shaking my head.

“These?” he held out a headband that had two frogs in the place of ears.

“You try these,” I placed a headband with dog ears onto his head.

He laughed, “These don’t suit me.”

We went back and forth putting different headbands on one another until we had tried nearly all 30 different designs the store had to offer. In the end the both of us decided to not get any of them.

“Wait let’s take a picture with them at least,” Renjun pulled out his phone, still having the bear eared headband on his hand. He set his phone to where it would be a mirror selfie, “Come closer.” Getting closer I held out two fingers making a peace sign as he winked. “One, two,” he counted. Shutter!

“Which ride she would go on next?” he asked as we exited the gift shop.

Looking around I pointed towards the teacups, “That one.”

He giggled, “Isn’t that a bit too small of a ride?”

“No, come on,” I pulled his arm towards the kiddy ride.

“Alright passengers welcome to the Teacup Factory. In the middle you will see a wheel, spin it either to the left or right and your cup will spin that way as well. As always we hope you enjoy your ride,” the female on the intercom went off as Renjun and I sat in front of each other, both of our hands on the wheel.

“Ready?” I asked.

“We have to go fast.”

“That’s if you can keep up,” I challenged him.

The platform under us started rotating around the giant teapot in the center and we started to turn the wheel bit by bit as we spun faster and faster.

“Faster!” I shouted over the music playing.

“Faster?” Renjun shouted back.

“Faster!”

We continued to spin the wheel, our hands grazing each other every once in a while. The platform our teacup sat on began to spin faster.

“Wahhh wait slow down!” Renjun shouted as his hands slipped off the wheel and he slid against me with the teacup’s rotation. His body was pressed right against mine, face only a few inches away. My hands froze.

“Hi,” he breathed out and smiled sheepishly.

My whole body froze as I sat there staring at him, with him smiling and staring back at me. If it was even possible it was like the area around him had roses and glitter everywhere, just shining, making him look even brighter.

Our teacup began to slow down as neither of us was spinning the wheel, and the platform we were on began to slow down as well.

“We hope everyone enjoyed the ride, please wait momentarily as we come around to unlock your teacup, then you may exit accordingly,” the female on the intercom went off.

“We should go,” he broke me out of my daze and pointed to the exit. He stood from the teacup and started to shuffle out, not looking back.

“Y-yea,” I followed right after.

After a few more rides we decided to get ice cream and churros as a light snack. We both decided to share a vanilla sundae.

“Smile,” Renjun cheered as he held out his churro with one hand and snapped a picture with me and the ice cream in front of me.

“Wait let me get one of you too,” Renjun smiled brightly as I snapped a picture of him.

“Now let’s eat it before it melts,” he held out a spoon for me.

“Have you tried dipping churros into ice cream before?” I asked him.

He shook his head as he took a bite of the ice cream.

“Here,” I broke off a piece of my churro and dipped it into the vanilla ice cream before holding it out to him. He grabbed onto my hand and moved it closer to his mouth, eating the churro before letting go of my hand. He held up a thumbs up, a smile forming across his lips as he chewed.

His smile was calming, he does it so often still yet I don’t get tired of it. Truth is, I’ve had a crush on him in the past, I even wrote him a letter. Huang Renjun, he’s the kind of guy you wanted to take home to introduce to your parents just because of how perfect he is. He’s the type of guy that your parents would tolerate and allow you to date. Of course, when I wrote his letter it was when I had barely known him. I always admired him from afar, but now he’s sitting right in front of me, about a foot and a half away, not to mention we’re both sharing ice cream with one another and spent practically the whole day together at an amusement park, that’s practically a date! I never got the courage to confess to him, because one, at the time I had barely known him, practically a stranger to him, he wouldn’t have known who I was. Two, everyone knew him, he’s the school’s council leader, at the beginning of high school it was already predicted that he would become the leader and what happened the following year? He became the leader! Not to mention, he’s really friendly and smart. It was rumored that throughout elementary and middle school he got all of the academic awards. Upon entering high school, he was scouted by the debate team, the speech team, the mathdecatholic team, any and every academic team wanted him. I guess that’s what made me crush so hard on him at the time, I was so amazed and fascinated by how diligent he was in school. Passing by his classroom I would see him reading a book, focusing on a math problem, or tutoring another student, it just made him seem like an angel. Like those moments in a kdrama where the sunlight hits the protagonist perfectly that it makes everyone’s hearts swoon? It was like that, except without the actual sunlight. How did I even end up in this situation with him? I’m not sure but I’m glad it happened, I know it’s selfish of me to say it but I really am.