Chapter 6

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Taehyung found himself worrying over a simple matter of choices. “Oh, Seolhee-noona, do help me make the right decision!”, he whined as he his chin.

His servant, muffling a laugh, replied with a mocking tone, “Why, of course, Your Highness! Let me make a list of all the benefits and drawbacks of strolling across the royal gardens early morning, and preparing for the upcoming meeting! I am confident that will aid you on your intense journey!”

The prince playfully let a frown twist his lips as he pointed an accusing finger, “My friend, my servant, my saviour, do me an act of kindness by thoughtfully sealing your lips while I attend to my own thoughts, will you?” He suppressed a giggle as he watched the woman smile amusingly.

Without notice, there was a gentle knock at the door, followed by a soporific voice: “Tae- Uh, Your Highness, are you awake this morning?” There was a moment of silence before the familiar voice spoke again, “Where could the servants be?”

Taehyung darted his eyes between the door and his servant at a rapid speed, shock written all over his face as he mouthed incoherent words with repetitive hand gestures. He observed the shadow behind the door and gulped.

“Seolhee-noona, I have never had anyone in my room other than my brother and my late mother! Oh, even father hasn’t visited me in my room until earlier this month! Save my soul!”, he whispered aggressively.

His servant, rolling his eyes at the prince’s childish behaviour, walked towards the door and slid it open, taking both the princes by surprise. “Good morning, Your Highness. I sincerely apologise for responding late. Please enter, for His Highness is present in the room.”, she spoke in a calm voice, bowing respectfully; she gave no time for a response either.

As she walked out of the room, Jungkook let out a shaky breath. He peeked his head into the room, scanning the surroundings, only to flinch as he spotted Taehyung sitting on his arranged bed.

“Good morning, Taehyung. M-May I enter?”, he asked quietly as the whole experience was very new and unusual to him.

The other, slightly alarmed by the hushed tone of his voice, flashed a gleeful smile and nodded. “Good morning!” Taehyung heard the footsteps grow closer and louder by the second, his fingers tingling with ecstasy and hesitance. “What brings you here at such an awfully early time?”, he asked as his eyes lingered on the luminous candle by his bed, melted wax solidifying over time.

Jungkook found his own pair of eyes drawn towards the bright fire, his mouth agape at its unacknowledged beauty. Stuttering with the syllables, he said, “W-Well, I simply wanted to pay y-you a quick visit b-before breakfast! Hmm… Uh, is that wrong of me to do so? I would understand your need for some privacy, and I will apologise sincerely if that is the case.”

“Oh, do not be silly! I find it admirable that you would come to my room at the beginning of the day, without any crucial reason. It simply proves that you do care about me!”, Taehyung had a charming smile adorning his lips as he spoke with genuine enthusiasm. He gestured the other to sit beside him.

“Oh, that I do care about you… I can only wish for you to do the same, my wise wind!” The emphasis on the last phrase had Taehyung startled to the core.

“You- How did you- Where did you hear that from?!?”, he asked with wide eyes.

The other chuckled at the amusing expression and grinned wholeheartedly, “Ah, what can I say? I suppose, alongside my special sight, there seems to be a special auditory skill too! Besides, would it be ill of me to say that you have a beautifully loud and resonating voice? To my ears, it is a melody that cannot be forgotten, so is it a surprise that I happened to overhear you talk about certain names your dear mother has gifted you? I believe not.”

Taehyung twisted his lips into a pout as he tucked his arms into his sides, arms folded and chin resting on his chest. “If I am the wise wind, will you be my fervent fire? We could be akin to a candle!”, he chirped as his eyes morphed into crescents of joy.

“A fervent fire? What causes your perception of me being a passionate, burning fire?”, Jungkook asked as his hand relaxed over the cold mattress.

“Where do I even begin? There is a light, glowing fiercely within your soul, so passionate about life, so daring, yet so warm and gentle towards their friends and family… Your smile lights up the world, but your intended smirks are strong enough to set your enemies to the ground… Your bold behaviour contrasts your alluring face and your wholesome personality, yet the way you deliver your words of meaning and truth, sparks and ignites fireworks within the hearts of many… To express it briefly yet accurately, I see you as a fire that burns with emotion and eagerness, but you remain welcoming and cordial in your core… Hence, you are my fervent fire!”

Jungkook was embarrassed by Taehyung’s revelation, but his heart beamed at his words. Fidgeting with the silk touch of his hanbok, he said, “Thank you, for that unnecessary but caring outlook, my wise wind. I will be your fervent fire, for as long as you want me to be… A candle, you say? Is that what you perceive us to be?”

The other, feeling confident as he steered the conversation to his own will, nodded aggressively and looked gently towards the glorious candle. “Aren’t candles beautiful? My mother always lit up candles in her room when she composed her poems, and I found myself being drawn towards the beauty of those shining candles, which is why I keep candles of my own now! I do not write, but rather stare and gaze into the warm light, feeling at peace and tranquillity. My fervent fire, we are like a candle. Do you ever notice how the fire of the candle rebels against the wind? Mother told me that the fire and the wind were foes, fighting till their last breaths, but I refuse to accept that. I believe that the fire and the wind only dance on their own, hand in hand, feeling the warmth of the fire and the calming embrace of the gentle breeze… If I am the wind, and you are my fire, then we are dancing together, just like this beautiful candle.”

A moment of silence fell upon their shoulders as they absorbed the warmth radiated by the candle that sat on the wooden table patiently, watching the princes looking over the melting wax.

“I choose a candle to set alight the moment one candle falls to its death after shining so eagerly to accompany me. The day the royals arrived, I picked out this large candle, setting it alight and watching it dance with the wind for a mere few seconds, before blowing it out as I stepped out of my room. Every night, before taking my rest, and every morning, before leaving my room, I take a few moments to acknowledge the candle’s intriguing dance… No word could ever explain how beautiful their dance appears to be, how stunning and gorgeous their performance is, how deeply their interaction reaches

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter