Chapter 10

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A while later, Taehyung found himself approaching the royal gardens with the hope of relaxing under the morning sunlight; the hints of gloom that resonated from his servant all washed away as the day progressed, for no troubles seemed to come to the surface. With a relieved smile, he played with the sleeve of his intricately designed hanbok, walking towards the gate of the gardens, only to come to a halt at the sight before him.

“Good morning, Taehyung…” At the entrance of the garden stood Jungkook, waiting under the shade of a large tree. The prince had a soft smile on his face, yet there was an expression of exhaustion, perhaps mentally.

“Good morning, Jungkook! I am delighted to see you patiently waiting for me… Forgive me for not meeting you this morning, but my body found comfort in last night’s slumber, and the glimmering sun only wished to startle me awake so close to midday! Moreover, I was conversing with my dear cousin whose busy days are significant for the kingdom’s wellbeing. A devoted, diligent doctor he is, and I considered it my duty to at least greet him this morning and accompany him on a short stroll.”

“Pardon me for my blunt ignorance, but is the royal doctor your cousin?” Jungkook followed Taehyung into the garden, letting the latter take lead.

“Why, of course! My respect for him has outgrown over the years! He was a royal prince, extremely dedicated to his status, a mastermind in politics all the while learning about the wonders of medicine and healing. However, his armoured heart was pierced during the war. His father, my beloved uncle, was slain during the battle. Sorrow grew in the roots of every plant and tree, and he wished to abdicate from royalty and seek refuge and peace far away from the kingdom. My father hesitated to accept his proposal, but my mother bid him goodbye with her blessings. That day marked his new journey, now as a doctor who treats the injured. Of course, there are other doctors in the palace, all who have studied under his knowledge. He had once told me that his only regret is that he could’ve saved his father if he had picked up knowledge about medicine just before the war…”

The princes found themselves lingering like specks of dust within the serious atmosphere, trying their best to suppress the sorrow that fought within their hearts, hoping to pour out like a cascade of pain. The clear melancholy in Taehyung’s heart evoked overwhelming pity from Jungkook, and they both were aware of each other’s strong emotions.

To control the aura of the garden, Jungkook attempted to subside the heavy air. “His passion is clear to all, and it is thanks to him that the kingdom has a significant clue on the recent misfortunes. Therefore, we must thank him for his work and his careful observations.”

“Huh?”, Taehyung furrowed his brows with confusion. “What do you mean, Jungkook? What clue has Seokjin-hyung found?”

Jungkook hesitated with his answer, confused with the other’s blatant obliviousness. He studied the dazed prince’s face, hoping to see anything other than rigid curiosity, but all he could read was a face that portrayed mixed expressions of surprise, interest and fear.

“Do you truly not know of this?”, he asked softly as an uneasy feeling grew within his heart, wondering if his revelation will do any harm. “A clue has been found on who has slayed Sir Jung.”

Taehyung’s eyes widened as those words repeated themselves in his throbbing head, his heart screaming against his heavy chest. Shallow breaths escaped his lips as he scurried out of the gardens, rushing into the palace and confronting the king, who sat on his throne with a concerned expression.

“Father! Namjoon-hyung! Everyone! How could you?!?” His voice quivered with anguish as he eyed every individual who stood in the hall, his fists tightening and his lips trembling. The agonising truth shook him to the core, and he stepped closer to the throne.

“The one day I fail to awaken as early as dawn, the kingdom leaves me behind! Do I not have the right to know more about the investigations regarding dear Sir Jung’s death? Do I not have the responsibility of assuring my dear friend’s moral state? Oh, tell me! Tell me what it is it that Seokjin-hyung has found regarding the tragic death of Sir Jung! Tell me now!”

The prince’s voice was laced with pure sorrow and grief, and the king let out a muffled sigh.

“Son, you never handle such situations in a healthy manner… Every drop of catastrophe pushes you into a maze of darkness, and you are lost, and the cold barriers prevent us from reaching you… I simply did not wish to drag you into darkness, for you are still young, innocent and pure… You do not deserve such agony and heartbreak…”

Taehyung groaned into his hands and fixed his gaze to the floor, his voice quietening over time. “But I need to know, father… I am far from youth and innocence, for it seems that our kingdom always showers gloom some way or another… Therefore, tell me about the clue… Tell me immediately… Please…”

“Taehyung,” Namjoon stepped forward and spoke in a calm voice. “I apologise for not revealing this crucial information to you over breakfast, but as they say, better now than never. Do hear me out, and refrain from acting out already, for I know of your heart’s nature. I know that your heart mourns more than your tears…”

The prince paused and glanced at the king before continuing. “Seokjin-hyung’s exhausting journey required him to take a break at an inn, when he encountered a group of people in a small wooden hut. They offered him alms and shelter for the night, but during his leave, he picked up Sir Jung’s badge that he had found lying outside. By all means, he could not confront them alone, hence his rushed arrival here delivered the message.”

Taehyung held in his tears and raised his voice unnecessarily, “Then, let us approach those murderers and punish them for their crime!”

The king pitied the prince’s expression and explained, “Son, I have sent a troop of guards and a few Hwarang knights to investigate the area, but it seems that they have relocated themselves. Have faith in them, for I do so, and positive results will rise to the surface. With Jung Hoseok’s guidance, I foresee a-”

“Father! You cannot send Jung Hoseok, for he has his own battles to fight!”

All eyes lingered on the wrecked prince, staggered by his discourteous behaviour. The guards at the entrance tightened their grips on their spears, fuming at the insolent attitude of the prince who was blinded by his emotions; on the other hand, Namjoon sent a threatening glare towards Taehyung, fearing the outcome of this scenario. No one seemed to comprehend Taehyung’s desperate feelings.

“There are certain limits and lines in life, and if you were to cross on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter