Chapter 11

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I believe every kingdom is both blessed and cursed. It is the balance of life. My grandparents, my uncles and aunts, and my distant relatives still breathe the fragrant air of life, that my unborn sibling failed to.” A strained sigh left Jungkook’s lips before they clamped shut.

“Pardon? Are you not an only child, Jungkook?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

“That is, unfortunately, true. My mother’s womb was shredded in darkness just before her birthing… My possible brother or sister passed away before they could open their eyes to the world, and that cruel day marked the kingdom’s curse, which my parents now identify its source to be me. I am the curse, and I-”

“No!” Taehyung tightened his fingers around the other’s and shook his head aggressively. He stuttered, “You are no curse, Jungkook! You are a blessing, for no other kingdom is blessed with such a passionate and bold prince!”

“That is an opinion, Taehyung. The truth, however, remains as it is. I am the curse, and I cannot lift myself off the earth’s surface because I am held back by my father’s ambition and my mother’s expectations. Therefore, I aspire to be a wondrous king, for only then will I hide the curse if not get rid of it.”

Before either of them could speak, the kingdom’s horn reverberated across, announcing the return of the awaited knights and the most skilled guards. The princes rose to their feet and headed back to the palace, assembling beside the elder Kim Prince, the king, and the Lee Prince. Some of the ministers gathered in front of the entrance of the palace alongside the guards and the royal staff.

Galloping horses approached the royalty, coming to a halt immediately. The guards stepped down first, bowing towards the royalty present at the scene, before moving their horses aside for the Hwarang to come forth.

“Your Highnesses.” Jung Hoseok had a blank expression as he approached the king and the princes, kneeling before them. None of them could read the feelings and emotions behind the knight’s hardened expression.

“Please, come inside.” The king gestured towards the troop of Hwarang to assemble inside the palace; as he sat on his throne with his sons on either side, the Jeon Prince and the Lee Prince stood alongside the ministers.

“Speak, Jung Hoseok. What has been discovered?”

A moment of silence invaded the hall, the soft breathing of each individual was loud and clear. Taehyung leaned back and forth in his seat, trying to pick up a clue from the knight’s face, yet all he could decipher were the shallow and forced breaths – he assumed the knight was toning down his ecstasy, or perhaps his anger.

“Your Highness, it seems that the offenders have repositioned to a distant and isolated area, for there are no signs or trails within the territory, nor did we find any hints from the roaming travellers and merchants…”

The quiet voice trailed off with a distressing tone, before the remaining knights responded in a chorus, along with their leader: “We apologise for our failed attempt at this mission! We will continue the search if ordered to do so!”

The king’s muffled sigh was audible to every being’s ears, disappointment written all over his face. “Call for Yoongi. Call for my royal messenger.”, he directed towards one of the guards, before turning back towards the group of knights.

“You are dismissed. Return to your accommodations, and I will have one of my men relay the next objective for this search, perhaps by tonight.”

As the knights marched out of the palace, the aforementioned guard returned with the royal messenger following behind.

“Your Highness.”, the man bowed towards the king and the other royalties present in the room.

A few words were exchanged, in which the king had ordered the messenger to have letters delivered to the allied kingdoms regarding the wandering criminals.

“Please allow my staff to prepare you two for the royal feast that will be arranged shortly, dear princes of the Lee Kingdom and the Jeon Kingdom.” The king nodded towards the bowing princes, watching the duo disappear into the hallway. “Son, you may proceed too.” With those direct words, Namjoon left the central palace shortly.

“Taehyung.” The king smiled warmly as the prince flinched in his seat. “I apologise for my harsh words a few moments prior to their return. It was understandable as a king, but heartless as a father, and to you I am not only a man of royal blood, but a man of family blood.”

Taehyung rose from his seat with his head hanging low. “I understand, father. There is no need, rather there is no space for an apology during these crucial and perilous times. Excuse me, for I shall return to my chamber and prepare for lunch.” He bowed towards the king before walking down the steps and scurrying into the hallway that led to a column of royal chambers and guestrooms, nodding towards the guards.

Soon after the royal feast, a carriage was prepared to the royal doctor back to his home on the outskirts of the kingdom, followed by a chariot sent towards the allied kingdoms to have the crucial letters delivered.

Meanwhile, Taehyung was walking through the kingdom’s streets with the intention of meeting the leader of the Hwarang, Jung Hoseok. However, he decided to promenade casually and check on the kingdom’s people too. As his horse galloped at a comfortable pace, he smiled towards the public, greeting the shopkeepers and the merchants, as well as the groups of children that chased one another.

Upon stopping his horse near the Hwarang accommodations on his return from the range of shops and inns, he let out a strained sigh. He nodded towards the uniformed guards and entered through the gates, immediately surrounded by the training knights who dropped their weapons to their sides and hailed the prince in a chorus.

“Please continue with your extensive training, and may your willpower and strength aid you in your exercise.”

“Yes, Your Highness!” The sheer force that aded from the voices put Taehyung’s heart at peace.

“Pardon me for interrupting yet again, but is your master here?”

“Your Highness, he is indoors. Please allow me to lead you to master’s room.”, one of the fatigued knights claimed and Taehyung complied to follow.

In the span of a few seconds, the prince and the fellow knight stood near

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter