Chapter 13

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the sun peeked out of the clouds, the royal carriage disappeared behind the kingdom’s gates – the Jeon Prince departed at dawn upon being bid farewell by the royal family and the ministers, as well as the citizens that bordered the path outside.

“Your Highness,” An unfamiliar voice continued, “pardon me for interrupting your training session.”

Taehyung relaxed his hands around the arrow and turned around, smiling softly before bowing courtly. He replied, “It is no worry. Please come forward and do tell what brings you here.”

Lee Seunghyun, the prince of the Lee Kingdom, walked forward and eyed the bow that hung from the other’s hand. He raised an eyebrow at the unexpected choice of weapon and gently shook his head in an attempt to ignore the matter.

Taehyung noticed where his eyes lingered upon, and he responded immediately, “Oh, is it peculiar to see a Kim Prince wield not a sword but a bow? Believe me when I claim that I am as surprised as you are, but my inability in swordsmanship can only result to this. Forgive me, but it is a topic I wish not to speak of…”

“I shall respect your decision.”, Seunghyun paused for a moment. “It is crucial that every kingdom has their warriors and knights trained in every skill, especially in the case of a roaming offender… Oh, let the criminal be a mere protestor or a discontented citizen, and if that is true, let the situation be solved through a few arrangements and exemptions, yet I cannot help but assume that this may be one of the Park Kingdom’s tactics…”

“I disagree, for a trustworthy man assured me that the king of the Park Kingdom is not like his ancestors. Despite all this, I can only wish for any despair and gloom to be washed away immediately…” Taehyung trailed off in an uncertain tone, the clear image of the mighty Sir Jung’s wounded body flooding his vision, followed by the harsh picture of the unfortunate and unsuccessful investigation – the suppressed feelings of grief were on the verge of bursting out.

“One can wish for so much but we have no control over these hopes… Your Highness, I shall return back to the palace. Till we are called to attend the next meeting, farewell.” Seunghyun bowed and walked away.

Taehyung watched the Lee Prince fade within the distance, a frown twisting his lips as he thought of the kingdom’s fate. With a reluctant sigh, he lifted his bow and moved in position, continuing his training under the guidance of a dear prince’s advice before his brother occupied the training grounds.

“Oh, Jungkook…”

The meeting held before noon discussed the crucial problems that lingered in each kingdom, in which the absence of the Jeon Prince proved to be a weakness, for the aforementioned was known for his excellent ability to devise suitable strategies in a split second.

Following the summit was an unusually quiet luncheon, as each member’s thoughts spiralled around the strange happenings that clouded the three kingdoms in possible danger.

Taehyung sat in his chamber, revisiting some of his beloved mother’s compositions as time passed by at a painfully slow pace. A comforting silence enveloped him as he immersed himself into the lyrical words that were beautifully written on the parchments that were tied together into one piece.

“The heir of the Jeon Kingdom, Prince Jeon Jungkook, returns from his trip!” He heard a chorus of voices, followed by a roaring horn.

“Your Highness, it seems that the Jeon Prince has returned.”

Taehyung turned around and smiled at his servant, who stood by the door of the room, aware of the precious bond between the two princes. Keeping that smile on his face, he nodded and dismissed his servant; he put the parchments at a corner and effortlessly lifted himself off the floor, a warm feeling beating against his chest at the thought of the eastern prince.

As he hurried to the entrance of the palace, he was pleased to see his lover being welcomed by the royal members and ministers. He stood by the king, his brother on the other side, all waiting for the returning prince to approach them.

“Your Majesty, Your Highnesses.” Jungkook bowed politely and unknowingly let his eyes linger on a certain person for a moment too long, before shaking away the thought immediately.

“Ah, welcome back, dear prince! I hope the journey was to your needs and your kingdom all in peace.” The king exchanged a few words, to which Jungkook responded with equal enthusiasm.

They all were inside the palace before the sun hid behind the glorious mountains that watched over the kingdom. Soon after, Jungkook was escorted to his chamber for a momentary slumber, leaving Taehyung distraught in his room; despite his wish to converse with the prince he admired deeply and surely felt the same way, his conscience advised him to let the possibly fatigued prince to rest. As he paced back and forth, eyeing the stack of parchments that sat upon the table, waiting to be studied for the next meeting, an unsettling feeling grew at his feet.

“Your Highness…”, his servant trailed off.

“Oh, Seolhee-noona… I am not gifted with the powers to see the future, but it is clearly worry that is bothering me… I do not know, yet I cannot help but assume the probability of a catastrophe or perhaps another calamity raining upon the kingdom! In no way can I tolerate more grief, but this wounded heart refuses to strengthen itself… Oh, what am I do to? Tell me!”

He continued walking across the room, his feet tapping loudly as he shook his head vigorously.

“Your Highness, perhaps a night’s rest shall provide tranquillity. Shall I request the royal chef to prepare your dinner?” Seolhee frowned at the sight of the prince scampering around with a fragile mind.

“No!” Taehyung claimed rather aggressively, a shade of red tainting his cheeks as he acknowledged his frantic behaviour. “I shall attend the royal dinner along with the rest. Perhaps I should force these thoughts shut and return to my pending work…”, he muttered to no one in particular as his voice quietened out with every word – he smiled softly, wishing to see the eastern prince at the dining hall.

As the dining hall grew in people, the king delivered a short speech: “Before we begin our feast, I would like to take a minute to express my deep gratitude and respect to all those who have contributed in driving the three kingdoms towards this highly anticipated unification. With this appropriate pace and support, it is my strong belief that our seminars can be concluded in two days, before I request the royal writers of each kingdom to publish the constitution, which will be the final step before declaring our union to the public.”

Nods of approval and words of appreciation flooded the room at the near success, but Taehyung frowned to himself as he comprehended the depth of his father’s words – he was aware of what awaited in the future, at the end of the aforementioned two days.

With the king’s gesture, the royal dinner commenced; the sonorous sounds of the utensils being handled at each table rang through Taehyung’s ears, yet a familiar feeling of tranquillity washed over him, perhaps a vague attempt by his conscience to avoid the grave thoughts that never left his mind from when he exited his chamber.

A while after dinner, Taehyung returned to his room in a state of confusion and worry, not seeming to have the ability to face Jungkook to share a few words if not more. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter