Chapter 12

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You seem awfully fascinated by the rose…” Taehyung trailed off as he watched Jungkook stare at the flower with a smile, the moon’s soft glow wrapping them into a tranquil atmosphere while the sun proceeded to take shelter.

As the meeting concluded, Taehyung found himself drawn towards the royal gardens. He watched the sunlight wave its farewell, before kneeling down and expressing all his thoughts to the large tree that symbolised the late queen. Distracted by the beauty of the setting sun, he sent a guard for Jungkook, wishing to see the panoramic view together – the Jeon prince wasted no time in joining the other.

“An offering is an action of respect, but a gift is a blessing and a wish for happiness. While I was returning from the streets that I had decided to look around, a little girl approached me with this beautiful rose. Instantaneously, my mind wandered towards you, for she had a smile that brightened the hue of the flower and radiated joy from within each petal. I was touched by the gesture, and it is a mere coincidence that roses happen to be a part of my history, for I was showered with roses when I first picked up a sword…” Jungkook’s words were soothing to the ears of nature, and his diction flowed like that of an enchanted stream.

“Roses…”, Taehyung whispered to himself, keeping this fact in mind, as he wished to never stop learning about the prince he grew to admire with every passing hour, minute and second.

“If I recall correctly, roses live for a long period of time. They look fragile, but their potential and their strength are unimaginable. Years, decades and centuries may pass, but the rose may still dance with the flowing wind. Let me be your rose, and you my wind. Let this rose define us, as you did with the candle, for we will be everlasting.”

Taehyung stiffened his shoulders and watched with wide eyes as Jungkook suddenly halted his romantic speech, turning around and approaching the still flustered prince.

“From one prince to another…” Jungkook trailed off as he gestured the other to take the rose that glimmered under the moonlight.

“I shall cherish this, for I have no roses in the garden.” Taehyung said softly as he admired the red flower in his hand, its petals spread apart gloriously. Suddenly, he desired to learn more about the prince who sat beside him and looked ahead blindly.

“Jungkook.”

The aforementioned hummed in response – their conversations were more comfortable and relaxing to the extent where they didn’t need to speak all the time; the silence was warm and soothing.

“What is your dream?”

Jungkook finally turned to his side, tilting his head at the unexpected yet familiar question. “Have I not told you before of what my heart wishes?”

“Dreams may change overnight, and I simply wish to know more about you. Is that wrong of me to ask? With your response will I share my dream too, yet the decision to express your thoughts is in your warm hands.” Taehyung’s words were a lullaby within the silent evening as he gently laid the rose in between them, before placing their hands on top of one another, all the while embracing the flower.

“Unfortunately, my dream remains the same, untouched and intact. One’s dream develops through ambition or through success of their previous dream, but mine is still far out of my grasp. I wish to hold two dreams at once, but the weight may be too heavy on my weakened shoulders. Until I see my father’s smile, until he declares me as his family, I shall live on and eagerly wait for my dream to come forth. Pity me, Taehyung. Pity me, for I am entrapped within these walls of isolation from my family…”

Taehyung noticed the sudden shivering in the other’s hand, the warm feeling now cold and rough – he gently rubbed his thumb against the skin as a sign of comfort; he wished to never see a frown on the face that brought him joy worth a million jades.

“I would pity you if your dreams were unapproachable, but I assure you that there will come a day where His Majesty admits his pride and respect in your passionate soul. My dreams, on the other hand, have long before been achieved yet diminished. It seems that my family accepts me for my being, however, my desire to let the kingdom be enveloped in pure joy is no more, for there is danger and gloom at every corner… Therefore, to replace this forlorn dream, I can proudly say that I await your wishes to step forward into reality. Your happiness, your satisfaction, your success is now my dream, for we are one and only one.”

Jungkook let his eyes linger on the other’s face, a soft sigh leaving his trembling lips as he held in his overwhelming emotions. “Taehyung…”, he whispered as the words repeated themselves in his ears, bringing about thankfulness within his heart.

“Oh, do not be startled, my fervent fire… We are two petals of a rose entangled together as one, as we are the fire and the wind that dances upon a sole candle. One cannot exist without the other, at least not as a whole and complete figure. Your dream is mine as mine is yours.”

A temporary silence settled in, giving time to both princes to reflect upon their words that held pure sincerity and feeling – it was a moment their minds could never forget, nor would they overlook what happened next as Jungkook spoke.

“I am eternally grateful for your kind words… Taehyung, I have never expressed myself to this extent to anyone before, yet I was never unsure of revealing my thoughts to you ever since I met you. There is a strange yet reliable feeling of trust that surfaces when I turn to you, and for that, I am evermore thankful… How may I repay you?”

Taehyung shifted an inch away from the other, pulling his hand away from the rose. “Have you ever stepped beyond the line to take on a risk?”, he asked as he reached out for Jungkook’s hands that gradually stopped shaking.

“A risk… Why do you mention it?” Confusion was visibly evident on the other’s reddened face.

Taehyung shook his head, tightening his hold on the prince’s hands that now lay on his lap. Carefully, he lifted the other’s chin and cast a warm gaze upon him. Hesitantly, he inhaled sharply. “A risk I am taking under the shining moon, and you are my witness.” He paused and unknowingly firmed his hold on Jungkook’s hands, unaware of the mild pain written on the other’s face.

“Jungkook, do you not wonder why I never seem to speak to the Lee Prince despite his crucial presence for the unification? Do you not worry about how often I unveil my deepest secrets and thoughts to you and only you? Do you never ponder upon the fact that I have allowed you to enter the royal gardens, a place I hold so very close to my heart and my soul? Do you not find it peculiar that I never speak to you of politics and leadership? Do you never worry about how I reach out to you at every chance I get? Do you not see the glow in my eyes when I refer to us as that magnificent candle? Oh, that candle I lighted on the day you arrived, how special and precious it is!” Taehyung’s voice quietened as he let go of the other’s hands, a shallow breath evacuating his lips that finally closed after his confession.

There was not a second to waste as Taehyung continued, “With a prince I would speak of the unification and the trade, and with a friend I would walk through the kingdom’s streets, but we… We settle down in this sacred garden, under the shade of my mother’s dear tree, and we speak of dreams, stories, families and friendship

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter