Chapter 15

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The suffocating silence was growing unbearable by the second; Taehyung stood still in his place, a blank expression plastered on his face; Jungkook let his tears all, his head still inclined downwards.

“I am happy for you, Jungkook.”

The owner of the name whipped his head up, eyes widening immediately at the sight.

Taehyung’s face was pale, tears streaming down his cheeks, eyes lacking the typical light. He forced a smile on his face and flashed his teeth, ignoring the rapid pace of his heartbeat, moments away from shattering.

“How… How could you simply say that? Are you not enraged? Am I not being selfish? Shall I not be scolded by you?” Jungkook’s voice was almost inaudible as his eyes shed another stream of tears, straining his voice, his hands trembling from all the overwhelming emotions. Never before had he cried in front of someone at such an age, yet he poured out all his sorrow within that garden.

“Selfish it would be if you shattered my dream to achieve yours, but it is my dream to know that your dream has come true, and your dream was to see your father smile at you sincerely, which has been brought to reality. Have both dreams not been accomplished?”

“But…” Jungkook trailed off with uncertainty. He removed his hands from the other’s shoulders, bringing them to his side, knuckles going white as he clenched his fists tightly.

Taehyung forced a smile to his lips, his mind fighting constantly with his weakening heart – the pain was agonising and intolerable, the pitiful emotions swirling through his body at an unpredictable speed, his heart on the verge of shattering and his mind on the edge of going numb, yet he smiled; he smiled to show he was feeling just fine, though the truth was far from that. The throbbing pain in his mind was slowly spreading to his cold fingers that continued to tremor.

“It is alright, Jungkook… Before we were lovers, friends we were, and that shall remain so. I shall write you letters as a friend if not a lover, and these irreplaceable memories shall be locked away if needed. I wish you a merry life with your journey as an imminent king, and may your family be blessed with wonderful children, eager to learn the wonders of life. I wish-”

“No!”, Jungkook interrupted with pleading eyes.

Taehyung let out a soft gasp, startled by the unexpected response.

“No, Taehyung… It is too soon for this to end, too soon! Trust me, have faith in me, believe me when I say that I will let our love lead us to the future! Allow me some time, a few weeks perhaps. I shall talk to the Lee Princess, and I shall explain my situation with hopes of her understanding. If she truly does understand, perhaps she could devise an excuse to avert the wedding, and I shall speak to my father regarding it too!”

“Dear, I can read your eyes. You plan to be the king and eventually reveal our relationship to the public, throwing all your hope into their acceptance, which begs the question, what are we to do when it goes wrong? If we are not accepted, will you run away with me? Can you truly leave behind your dreams, those that you have worked all your life for?”

Jungkook closed his eyes, his lips pulling into a tight smile: “I am helpless, aren’t I?”

Taehyung shook his head, reaching out for the other’s hand and intertwining their fingers – a perfect fit it was, and it was unfortunate that Jungkook’s warm hand would soon be embraced by another person.

Shaking away the thought, Taehyung cleared his throat. “Helpless we all are when it is love… Do not worry, Jungkook. I am not furious at you, perhaps dismayed, but not angry… Oh, I could never be infuriated at you, for you are the passionate fire to my wise wind! We should be grateful for the fact that we can continue to be devoted friends, and as long as that beautiful moon shines upon this land, I will hold you close to my heart and hope that you do the same. Do not think of me when you look into the princess’s lovely eyes, do not wonder whether I am jealous or upset, for I am truly proud of you and I rejoice in your success.”

Jungkook opened his eyes with fear and looked at the disheartened prince with longing, his hands holding onto the other’s desperately as he leaned forward and rested his head on Taehyung’s shoulder, letting the uncontrollable tears fall.

Taehyung let out a hesitant sigh and frowned now that Jungkook couldn’t see him; he bit his lower lip to muffle a cry as he wrapped his arms around the other, embracing him into a warm hug. The silence was pierced by their wails of sorrow, and Taehyung sunk his head into the other’s shoulder, inhaling the aromatic scent of the silk hanbok.

“I love you, Jungkook, as a friend and more.”

“I love you, Taehyung, as a friend and more, and I always will.”

Taehyung wished to stay in the gardens for longer, but he was already waving the other away with a warm hug and a soft kiss to his cheeks; he watched the prince wipe away the tears hurriedly as he strolled back into the palace. When the loneliness of the garden embraced him, he crouched to his feet and hid his face in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter