Chapter 9

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the sovereigns watched the carriages and chariots head towards the kingdom’s borders, the common people outlined the path and chanted words of victory, fortune and peace.

Taehyung furtively grabbed hold of Jungkook’s hand and directed themselves into the garden. “My fire is permitted to stay within these walls with his wind!”, he exclaimed with a charming smile that the other prince reciprocated effortlessly.

“Would it be meddlesome if I were to ask about… The ominous expression that His Majesty threw at you, would you speak of it?” Taehyung sensed the change in Jungkook’s aura as the question rolled off his tongue.

Jungkook let his body slump onto the stone bench, his fists clenching against his red, embroidered hanbok. “A father’s attitude towards their son shapes the future, or so I believe… With my father’s strict perspective on almost everything on this earth, my future is something I fear, which is why I must obey his orders and get rid of the strained relationship that we have, for only then will a light hang within my distant future… That expression, Taehyung, is one of his kindest. It isn’t that of rage, rather he has high expectations from me, those which I hope to reach… Therefore, worry not about what happened a while ago, but let us rejoice in this reconciliation.”

A soft gasp left his lips as the warm touch of Taehyung’s hand calmed his pulsing nerves.

“Oh, to rejoice in this moment would only be possible if you were to speak to me till the sun sets… That, my fervent fire, is how I would celebrate. Would you answer the questions on my mind?”, Taehyung asked with pleading eyes that the other could not deny.

“Tell me, do you foresee havoc in the approaching days? Could there be such a gloomy day in which the Park Kingdom brings forth a dispute that will lead to an inevitable war yet again? Will there be innocent souls taken away and flourishing lands destroyed like a chapter from our history being repeated? Is it wrong of me to shake in fear of the future?” Taehyung’s series of questions took the other by surprise, yet the Jeon Prince did not hesitate with his response.

“Life is unpredictable and mysterious in its own ways. We mortals have no control over time, but only our lives, and that too, often requires enormous efforts and contribution. However, I can assure you that our feud with the Park Kingdom has long before been resolved. Indeed, during the war, the king was a treacherous soul, and his son was menacing and wicked, yet the present king of the Park Kingdom is rumoured to be a gentle soul, passionate about life, devoting and humble in every aspect, with his only ambition revolving that of leading a kingdom of peace, welfare and joy. The name ‘Park Jimin’ must be familiar to you. Only a few weeks ago was His Highness’s coronation, crowned as the new king in a private ceremony. It is rather pleasant to hear the common people’s gossips about His Highness’s bright and charming soul, for which they say he recites poems during his daily assemblies with the public. I find that absolutely ravishing!”

Jungkook spoke with his head held high, a small smile lingering on his lips.

Taehyung noticed the expression and pouted, “My fervent fire, you seem to be entranced by His Highness… Oh, are you abandoning me for a king you merely know?” The playful tone masked within his words sparked an equally exciting and humorous feeling between them.

“I would rather die than leave you, my wise wind! It is only that I respect the king with all my heart, and I aspire to be a similarly avid king when my time is around… I can only hope for such a wonderful reign…”

The distressed emotion lurking in Jungkook’s heart was immediately subsided as the other piped in with an enthusiastic tone, “Jungkook, do train me in mastering my archery skills! My hands are quaking with ecstasy, for I seem so keen about the training!”

A frail smile tugged at both their lips, each prince fully aware of the hidden melancholy that groaned within their hearts; it was not so easy to push back the mourning that they had just recently walked out from.

As they rose from the bench and followed the paved path out of the gardens, a figure approached the duo with a bundle of parchments and scrolls gathered in his arms, clearly having a list of work to do; it was the royal messenger, Min Yoongi, renowned for his sharp communication skills and his extraordinary sense of hearing, enabling him to deliver and record proclamations and decrees instantly.

“Good evening, Your Highnesses.”, he directed towards both the princes, noting the close proximity in which they stood. He then turned towards Taehyung, “Your Highness, His Majesty wishes to talk to you regarding the forthcoming meetings, as well as a personal request that you had recently demanded, but I have no clue of what it is as His Majesty did not speak of it. Please allow me to you to the palace.”

Taehyung glanced at Jungkook and flashed his unique smile, bowing towards him out of courtesy, especially as the royal messenger was present at the scene.

Jungkook watched as the messenger led Taehyung into the palace, a faint smile lingering on his lips. However, his bubble of contentment burst as another thought peeked out of the corner of his mind – he walked out of the lush gardens and entered the palace, nodding at the guards, the maids and the servants that leaned deep into their work. Seeing the central throne vacant, he was sure that the king was conversing with Taehyung as mentioned before.

Exhaling a deep breath he didn’t know he was holding in, he headed towards the hallway in which his chamber sat at the far end, only to see the elder Kim Prince involved in a serious talk with one of the ministers of the Lee Kingdom.

“Good evening, Your Highness.”, Jungkook said as he bowed towards the prince who mirrored the action once the minister left.

“A very good evening to you, Your Highness. I don’t believe we have talked in these days, for which I apologise. As the prince of the kingdom, it should be my responsibility and my duty to familiarise myself with the guests.”, Namjoon said with a smile, dimples popping out among his cheeks.

“Oh, please do not apologise! I am partly at fault too, but I hope this moment disregards our previous absence of connection… I would like to speak to you regarding the training grounds. Do correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is Sir Han who is in charge of the royal training grounds. Considering his absence, I would like to ask for your permission on whether I am allowed to utilise the training grounds.”, Jungkook spoke with sheer sincerity.

The other nodded and replied, “Why, of course! There is no need to seek for permission, for you are welcome to practice in the training grounds at any time of the day during your sojourn.”

Jungkook smiled out of relief, yet a hint of guilt bubbled within him, knowing that it would be disrespectful and morally wrong to hide the fact that he required the training grounds only for Taehyung. With a shy smile, he admitted: “Pardon me for not mentioning this beforehand, but Taehyung suggested that he learns archery from me. That i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter