Chapter 5

As The Fire Dances With The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I shall meet you again at the feast. Farewell, shy prince.”, Taehyung said in a soft tone as he waved the younger off before rushing into his room.

“Seolhee-noona, please have the sliding door of my room replaced, for it isn’t as smooth as it was before… Nevertheless, I have yet another significant point to make! After years of isolating myself from the people of the world, a miracle was sent my way! This is still quite a surprise to me, but I believe I’ve made a friend! Acquainting with the eastern prince brought me more joy than any other conversation I’ve had in my entire life! What a promising and bright soul he is, oh my! Believe me when I say that he is the only prince I would ever talk to, excluding my brother, of course… I can’t help but ponder over the fact that I haven’t even tried to familiarise myself with the prince of the Lee Kingdom. There truly is something that Jungkook holds in his heart that led me to have these thoughts…” He uttered clearly as he walked back and forth, keeping an eye on his attendant who was preparing his hanbok.

The woman, startled by the name, turned towards the prince with sharp eyes. With a huff, she voiced out: “Pardon me for interrupting, but correct me if I didn’t just hear you call a royal prince by his given name!”

The prince smiled nonchalantly and replied with innocent eyes, “I did call him by his given name, but only because I was given permission to do so! By my given name does he address me too! It is not a shocking matter, for we are now devoted companions!”

“Cherish these memories, Your Highness. Savour the happiness he gives you before it’s time for him to depart.”, Seolhee said without a thought.

Those words settled into Taehyung’s heart heavily, dangerously, painfully.

“Before he leaves… Of course, how can I forget that?”, he spoke with false courage in an attempt to hide his worry. Walking over to his bed, he picked up the hanbok and smiled. Dismissing Seolhee, he changed into his hanbok and allowed his servants to style his hair and fix his outfit in place.

“Ah, you arrived early today! Very well, settle down.” Namjoon smiled at his younger brother who rushed in and hurriedly took his seat. “Is blue all you wear, Taehyung? Try a different palette on different days, will you?”, the older asked with a soft smile.

Taehyung, giggling at his brother’s silly question, replied honestly, “Blue represents safety, and I feel more than just safe when I am clad in blue clothes. Do you not remember mother referring to us as the luminous light and the wise wind? Oh, I still remember those memorable days of us chasing one another like free birds… Oh, how I miss those wonderful times of youth…” He pouted and faked a sniffle, earning a light chuckle from his brother who watched him eagerly.

“Are you implying that I am now too old to play with you? We can still chase each other if we wanted to, but of course, we are now busy in our own ways. I have duties and training to attend to, and you have your hobbies to work with.”

“Hmm, you are not wrong about that… I believe we are here too early, and it somehow bothers me… Ah, I’m hungry but I don’t want to be viewed as an impolite prince with an insatiable appetite! Oh, I have been cursed by the nature of time! Cursed, I tell you, cursed!” Taehyung continued being dramatically expressive of his hunger, but stopped halfway through as a group of servants served a range of plates and bowls on the large table.

Suddenly, the hallways grew louder as muffled voices were echoing into the dining hall.

“You can stop your act now, Taehyung-ah. They’re here.” With Namjoon’s assuring words, the royal family members entered the hall with their heads held high. The two brothers got on their feet and bowed respectfully, flashing smiles at whoever spared a glance.

Taehyung held in his breath upon meeting his father’s stern gaze, but felt himself calm down as the king smiled softly towards him. Giggling to himself, he focused on the part of his heart that bloomed with happiness, knowing that his father was proud of him for his words at the meeting.

Suddenly, the familiar touch of a hand brushed along his hanbok, and he flinched in response; darting his eyes to the side, he widened his eyes as he spotted the sweet smile lingering on the other’s lips.

“Jungkook-ah, don’t be so bold!”, he whispered towards the prince who was walking away.

The little interaction didn’t go unnoticed by Namjoon, who cleared his throat to gain his brother’s attention, signalling him to settle down.

Taehyung hid a smile and relaxed his legs onto the cushion, his back straight and his hands poised with manners.

“Good gracious, let us not delay the feast any longer.”, the king of the Kim Kingdom spoke in a firm voice. Raising his glass, he claimed: “To a unified nation of peace and goodwill!” The other kings and princes repeated the phrase like a common chant.

“Uh… Before we begin… Pardon me for interrupting the pleasant afternoon and the – I must say – wonderfully prepared feast, but I have something I must speak of. I will try and make it short. I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, apologise for my behaviour during the first meeting. It was ill-mannered and immature of me to interrupt the king and speak out of the blue with no notice or respect, and I promise that I shall stay silent and inform myself of my limits. T-Thank you…”, Taehyung muttered under his breath with shame, yet it was loud and clear in the silent room. Hesitantly, he bent over and bowed, an unfamiliar feeling bubbling in his chest.

“Oh, do not say so! Your approach towards the suggestion has helped us proceed with the meeting. Please do not refrain from speaking out your opinions. After all, a meeting requires mutual agreement upon suggestions.”, one of the ministers responded in a confirming voice.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter