I Lit a Fire With The Love You Left Behind

This Town

A/N. Alright I think maybe one more chapter after this one before the wedding happens, OMG.  Thank you to everyone who's commenting and liking this, I really do appreciate it. 

In case anybody's wondering the song the girls will talk about tin this chapter is called Stars by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Anyways on to the chapter!

----------------------------------------

“Cut, cut!”

 

“Really great work, Somi!”

 

“Hey. That all?”

 

“Hey, yes. Thanks for letting me borrow your wife for the shoot.” It was the day when they were shooting Somi’s music video for her first single and since there was a scene where the girl was meant to be in class, Jennie asked Irene if Seulgi would be able to play the teacher, at the end of day this was a low budget mv and they needed all the free help they could get.

 

“She likes the cameras.” Irene said jokingly. “I also promised her to buy her food after this.”

 

“Ah… makes sense.”

 

“Do you need her for anything else? we kinda need to get going.” Irene reached for her wife’s hand as soon as she was next her.

 

“Nope, you guys are free to go.”

 

“Okay, will we see you at the competition later?” They asked, it was the first dance competition Lisa and Chaeyoung would have as official coaches and all their friends wanted to be there for support.

 

“Yeah.” Jennie responded, knowing she wasn’t fully looking forward to seeing Chaeyoung and Hyeri together, but she still cared for Chaeyoung and her dreams so if she wanted her friends there then she’ll be there.

 

“You’ll be okay, Jen. See you later.”

 

----------------------------------

 

Lisa is sitting in her and Chaeyoung’s office at the school, lights off, the brightness coming from her computer being the only source of light.

 

“Hey, Lis. Nervous about the competition?” Chaeyoung ask as she walked in to see her friend sitting on her desk in the dark.

 

“Actually… I was thinking about my dad. Wishing he was here you know?” Lisa said honestly, that’s one of the best things about her, she wears her heart on her sleeve.

 

“I know, Lis.” The blonde responded softly. “But hey Bam Bam is setting up the recording equipment so we can show it to your mom.” She then said, trying to make Lisa feel better.

 

“Wish she was here too.”

 

“She’s proud of you, Lis. And I’m sure your dad would be too.”

 

“Thanks, chipmunk.”

 

“Now...let’s go we have a dance competition to win.”

 

------------------------------

 

“You see that girl showing off her cheap- engagement ring to my best friend?”

 

“Yeah, Hyeri right?” Somi asked, looking at the place Jennie sublty pointed at

 

“That’s who hate.”

 

They were standing by the gym doors in Jennie’s old high school when Somi asked who she was meant to hate so her and Jennie could be on the same page. She didn’t know the full story, all she knew is she was Team Jennie. She was after all the producer that changed her life.

 

“She knows exactly what she’s doing! I cannot believe Hyeri invited Jisoo to the performance. It’s bad enough she got Chaeyoung and now she wants to take my best friend too?” Jennie asked frustrated as they walked through the hallways of her old high school, she was already feeling sad and being in the place where everything started only brought more pain to her heart. They were happy here.

 

“I once put a hex on a girl I hated and it totally worked.”

 

“Maybe you can give her a horrible rash or something for her wedding.”

 

“Totally.” Somi agreed. “So are we getting back or what, I really want to see this catfight.”

 

“Okay, do you want to see where I almost bled to death or what?” Jennie asked, referring to the incident she had back in high school when she accidentally cut herself with a construction knife in the library.

 

“Catfight can wait.”

 

--------------------------

 

“Hey we saved you a seat!” Hyeri greeted Seulgi. “Where’s the wife?”

 

“She’s somewhere in this gym talking with the current coaches about dance probably. Thanks for the seat, I actually wanted to take some pictures to show Chae later…” She said looking through her bag before sighing in annoyance. “With the camera that I don’t have because it’s in my classroom.”

 

“Oooh can we go with you?” Jisoo asked from her place next to Hyeri. “I’m really curious to see bear Seulgi’s classroom.”

 

“All right, come on.”

 

The three girls made their way through the high school hallways as Jisoo provided thorough explanation of an important event that happened in that particular location while Seulgi commented here and there.

 

“I feel like I haven’t been through this hallways in 20 years.” Jisoo said their lives had change so much since high school, it’s hard to believe it’s only been six years.

 

“Hey is that Somi?” Hyeri asked as they passed by the library.

 

“Somi, what are you doing here?” Seulgi asked as soon as they walked into the library the door shutting close behind them. “Oh, hey Jennie.” She then says as the brunette appears besides Somi.

 

“Hey check it out is my old friends, and their new pal, Hyeri.” So Jennie was feeling petty, can you blame her? The love of her life got engaged to somebody else and her friends were hanging out with that somebody else.

 

“Jennie, we made plans before you…”

 

“Before you called me a .”

 

“I didn’t call you a .” Jenni refuted crossing her arms. “I said i didn’t like you.”

 

“Jennie…”

 

“No, don’t make apologies for her, just like I’m not apologizing for being engaged to Chaeyoung.”

 

Jennie scuffed, that was a low blow. “You know what? I was going to try to be nice to you, but I think that’s officially over.”

 

“Works for me.”

 

“Great!”

 

“I’m gonna head out.” Hyeri turned around and tried to open the door when she realizes she was not able too.

 

“i thought you were leaving?”

 

“I can’t” Hyeri said angrily. “There’s no handle.”

 

Jisoo walks closer and sees a piece of paper in the floor which she reached down to pick up and rolled her eyes after reading it. “They are fixing them over the weekend.”

 

“So what’s does that mean?”

 

“It means we are stuck.” Seulgi says already looking for her phone. “I have no signal.”

 

The rest of the girls check as well as realize that none of them have any reception either.

 

“Okay, let’s just be on the lookout for anyone that walks through here, we’ll yell and they’ll open the door for us. Also if they are fixing these throughout the weekend someone will have to come in at some point right?”

 

“Somi, you ok?” Jennie ask as she look at the younger girl sitting down on a table, no sign of worry on her face.

 

“I’m cool, I finally get you know guys. You fascinate me so much, your lives are like a teen drama, especially you Jisoo. I have so many questions.”

 

“Oh, ask away dear.” Said Jisoo sitting down in one of the chairs by the table.

 

“So you are like really cool and rich right?”

 

“Right?”

 

“So why do you let your crazy of a mother tell you what to do?”

 

Okay… this was not what Jisoo was signing up for and judging by the rest of the girls faces no one was expecting such a forward questions by the younger girl.

 

Jisoo squinted her eyes and pointed at her. “You should quit being so nosy.”

 

“Come on, Jisoo. You know she’s not nice.” Seulgi said siding with Somi.

 

“I’m not talking about my mom.”

 

“She doesn’t appreciate you.” Jennie said, siding with Seulgi and Somi.

 

“She’s my mother, all right?” Jisoo said losing her patience.

“That doesn’t make it right.” Hyeri said siding with the other girls.

 

“Okay, it’s time for the two new kids to mind their own business, and the other two can shut their mouths as well. You guys know anything about it.”

 

“Maybe not, but I do know a mother’s love is unconditional and you don’t have to earn it, and you don’t have to share your fashion company to keep it.” Seulgi said, she may be no mother but they were trying to be, she also had a great set of parents growing up and she knows that kinda love is not supposed to be earned.

 

“You don’t know anything about it.” Jisoo said with a tone that indicated the topic was not going to be discussed further.

 

A while later Jennie finds Jisoo sitting on the floor, her back resting against a bookshelf as she reads an old interview she did for Elle.

 

“Check it out, I found the librarians stash, always knew she smelled a bit too much like whiskey during school hours, you want some?” Jennie asked sitting besides her friends.

 

“Look at this.” Jisoo waived the magazine ad pointed at it. “The future magazine, the high-end clientele… my mom came up with all of this.”

 

Jennie placed an arm around her friend. “I know, but she wasn’t on Times 100 influential people of the century list now was she?”

 

“How come nothing I do is enough?” She asked. “I’ve given so much to her and still is not enough… am I not enough?”

 

“You are, Jisoo. You are so much more than enough.”

 

---------------------

 

A few shelves near the entrance of the library Hyeri, Seulgi and Somi where sitting down, each doing their own thing. Hyeri pacing, Seulgi was playing cards and Somi was on the computer.

 

“This is terrible. This is Chaeyoung’s first official dance competition as head coach and I’m not there to see it.” Hyeri said shaking her head. “God I wish I could see the other’s teams performance as well.”

 

“Well Wildcats are performing right now, judges don’t seem to impressed, also who uses a Glee song for their performance.” Somi said from the computer.

 

“Are you online?” Seulgi asked, her solitaire game forgotten.

 

“Yep.”

“Okay, everyone come here, we got internet.” She said calling the other girls. “There’s got to be a way we can use this to get out of here.”

 

“Or at least order some food I’m starving.” Said Somi.

 

“That’s it.”

 

“Do we really need to think about food now?” Jisoo asked standing next to Jennie,

 

“No, we order food online, have it delivered here so we can get out.” Jennie said thinking… how about Mrs. Lee’s stir fry they are open and we can order online.”

 

“Nice, so what are we getting?” Jisoo asked.

 

“What?”

 

“What kinda of stir fry?”

 

“I don’t know.” Jennie shrugged. “Mushroom and pork.”

 

“Oh, no, no mushroom please.”

 

“Jisoo.”

 

“I’m totes with Jisoo on this one, no mushroom, brocoli?”

 

“Brocoli.” Jisoo confirms. “Please order one with chicken.”

 

“Guys seriously.” Seulgi rolled her eyes.

 

“Just order the damn pizza.” Hyeri said.

 

“Do not yell at me!” Jennie said from where she was sitting in front of the computer.

 

“I’ll yell at you if I want to. Just order it! Mushroom, chicken, brocoli whatever… I just want to get out of here!” The brunette said clearly losing her patience. She was stuck in a library with two of her girlfriends ex, she was missing the competition and she was starting to feel claustrophobic.

 

“We all want to get out here! So don’t yell at me!”

 

“Calm down! God.”

 

“Just no mushroom.”

 

“There I ordered it!” Jennie exclaimed getting up from the chair, clearly over the whole thing.

 

“What’d we get?”

 

“No mushroom, Jisoo, okay? No ‘mush’, no ‘room’... no mushroom!”

 

“Relax, okay?” Seulgi said glancing at everyone. “Food is ordered so it shouldn’t take long for it to get here, so in the meantime everybody calm down!”

 

No one said anything after a while, Seulgi had gone back to her solitaire game, Hyeri was sat down by a chair in front a window and the other three girls remain in front of the computer.

 

“Your wife did a really good job with my album, Seulgi.” Somi said breaking the silence. “She also spoke a lot about you and showed me some of your art pieces, they are amazing.”

 

“Thanks.” Seulgi said somewhat still frustrated but then shook her head and chuckled forgetting about her game again. “Where did that come from?”

 

“I don’t know.” The girl shrugged, “I just think we tear ourselves down enough, sometimes you should tell people what you love about them or admire for, you know? Sometime people need to hear too.”

 

“Courage. Seulgi is courageous.” Said Jennie, honestly.

 

“And kind.” Followed Jennie.

 

“And strong.” Said Hyeri.

 

“See, don’t you feel pretty awesome now?”

 

“Yeah, I kinda do.” Seulgi said smiling. “And you, Somi, your voice is a great gift.”

 

“The fact that you came up with this game.” Said Hyeri from her seat.

 

“Your abs.”

 

“Your lips.”

 

“Okay.. before this turns into Orange is the new black, let’s move on.” Said Somi, not used to receiving compliments, who needed this stupid game anyway. “Hyeri, you have legs for days.”

 

“You are also one of the smartest people I know.”

 

“I’m not.” Hyeri said blushing.

 

“And you’re classy.” Said Jisoo, she then looking at Jennie who looked too quiet. “Jendukie, is there anything you want to tell Hyeri? Something nice.”

 

Jennie sighed opening the bottle of whiskey. “She got decent taste in girls.” she said then takes a drink. “This game .” She said as she walked away.

 

“I’m intimidated by Jennie.” Hyeri said, stopping the other brunette on her tracks. “I spent a year, producing songs for an album that was basically a love letter to her. I watched how Chaeyoung was so meticulous about the words she’d use, about the melody she’d use, about how the artist was meant to sing it. Like she was still holding on to her. Sometime I still think she is.”

 

Jennie closed her eyes and sighed. “Which is why she proposed to you right? I can see that.” She said walking away as Jisoo followed leaving the other girls on their spot.

 

Jisoo finds Jennie sitting down on the floor on the same spot, Chaeyoung first confessed her feelings for the brunette.

 

“They replaced the carpet. “ She said looking down at the floor. “This where I almost passed out after seeing so much blood come out of my hand and Chae caught me just in time, she told me how she felt then as a way to distract me. But they changed the carpet it doesn’t match.”

 

Jisoo sat next to her placing her hand on the other girls leg as a comforting manner. “I’m not gonna tell you how to be with Hyeri. But the Jennie I know usually takes the high road.”

 

“I know, Jisoo.” Jennie sighs. “But I’m so tired of looking at her and her precious ring.”

 

“You mean your precious ring?”

 

“What?”

 

---------------------------------

 

Meanwhile Chaeyoung was scanning the crowd as her team warmed up, there were a few teams ahead of them still so they are are just doing basic exercises to keep warm.

 

“I don’t see my wife anywhere.” Irene said from where she was standing, scanning the crowd as well.

 

“My future wife isn’t here either.” Chaeyoung said looking around.

 

“Jisoo’s missing too.” Said Lisa walking up to them.

 

All three girls grab their phones to see they had any missed calls or messages, but neither girl has any thing.

“Maybe they are getting some food.” Said Lisa going back to where her team was.

 

“Maybe… I hope the bring me something, I’m starving.” Said Chaeyoung pouting.

 

“Knowing my wife there’ll be a lot of food, pretty sure I can get her to share, don’t worry.”

 

-------------------------------

 

“You need to stop.” Seulgi tells Somi who had made the mistake of googling her performance at YG and reading the comments. “Do you know what people use the internet for?”

 

“ and complaining.” Answered Hyeri.

 

“Yep. So it doesn’t matter as long as you love doing what you do, which is music.”

 

“Easy for you say, people didn’t say you look like you smell like feet.” She said grumpily.

 

“Stick and stones, Somi.”

 

“Right, This coming from a girl that couldn’t handle it when I said I didn’t like her.” Said Jennie as she walked back from her talk with Jisoo.

 

Jisoo on the other hand cursed herself… maybe telling her the truth about the ring wasn’t the best of ideas… but the dumpling deserved to know, at least she thinks so.

 

“Okay. let’s just check the scorecard real quick, miss ‘pity me’. You date the girl three years ago, you disappeared and then you come back and expect her to drop everything for your jobless as, what the ?” Hyeri argued, he tried to be nice, try to extend an olive branch but if what the girl wants a fight then she’ll get a fight.

 

“Okay, everyone calm down.”

 

“Nice work, Seulgi. Better save her before I kick her all the way back to New York.”

 

“Oh yeah.” Hyeri scuffs.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Guess this is the second time you’ll be bleeding all over this library!”

 

“Oh yeah? What are you going to do huh? Hit me with that pretty ring of yours…”

 

“Jennie… don’t” Warned Jisoo.

 

“Oh you mean the one you wanted?”

 

“Honey! That ring was offered to me before it was yours!” Jennie sat back with a smirk, honestly her mind was way to angry to even think about what she was saying, being stuck in this library was not helping.

 

“You’re lying.” Said Hyeri, seriously.

 

“Oh you didn’t know?”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“No. Is she gonna cry…” Mocked Jennie as she saw Hyeri’s eyes get glassy.

 

“Stop it.”

 

“Go ahead, let’s cry little rich girl.” She mocked again,

 

“I said stop it.”

 

“What? Is your daddy not around to give you everything you want? Is he not going to throw you a party in that fancy apartment of yours?” Jennie said, as she had heard the girl talking about her life back in New York, talking about how she spent all of her time with her dad, a daddy’s girl indeed.

 

“Jennie, you don’t what you are talking to about.” Warned Seulgi, knowing things were getting way out of proportion and that Jennie had already crossed the line.

 

“It’s fine, daddy is going to make everything better right?”

 

“He’s dead!” Hyeri screamed. “All right, Jennie, he’s dead! He died two years ago from cancer but not until he couldn’t walk or recognize me.” Hyeri sobbed staring at Jennie’s face which was now full of regret. “Are you happy now? Does that make you feel better? That his death is with me everyday because I was the one who had to turn off the ventilator. You want to hear the last sound he made? Cause I can still remember it… Does that make you happy? Knowing my life isn’t perfect?!”

 

Jennie closed her eyes, clearly knowing she had screwed up. “Hyeri…”

 

“I used to admire the Jennie Chaeyoung talked so much about, she seemed so… noble, kind. I wish that Jennie was still here...what happened to her?”

 

I was true as the sky is blue

I couldn't soon say the same for you

So now I find denial in my eyes

I'm mesmerized by the picture that's in my mind

 

“You know how me and Hyeri got so close?” Seulgi asked after having found Jennie hiding on the spot the spot where she did all those years ago during the incident. She had given the girls some times to settle down and after calming Hyeri down, now she was here to give a piece of mind to her friend.

 

“It wasn’t because Chae kept bringing her around for dinner. She was producing Chaeyoung’s songs and I was still on the fence about her because I was rooting for my friend Chaeyoungie to end up with my friend Jennie or hell even with my friend Jisoo.” She said remembering how she would sometimes even act coldly towards the other brunette.

 

Jennie looked down and Jisoo grabbed her hand for support.

 

“But there was this one song she was working on and it was the one song Chaeyoung had openly admitted was about you, and you know what she said to me? She said ‘I want this to be the best song I ever produce, because Jennie deserves it. Those two kids in love deserve it’ And we’ve been friends ever since. And you know what maybe she’s right… maybe the Jennie we all knew is long gone, but for the love of God Jennie, you said no and she said yes, so just move on already.” When Seulgi was done scolding Jennie she walked away leaving the girl feeling guilty about her actions.

 

“I ed up, didn’t I.” Jennie said softly.

 

“Yes you did, Jendukie.” Jisoo answered equally as softly.

 

“It just hurts so bad, Chu.” Jennie sobbed as she turned to hide her head on Jisoo’s chest.

 

“I know.” She said kissing Jennie’s head softly and pulling softly. “I know.”

 

Tell me when I'll finally see your shallow heart

For what it is

'Cause I don't want to keep on believin' in illusions

I wish you were here

 

After a while Seulgi sat down with Somi who was playing around with the guitar playing different melodies. Hyeri was once again sat down watching the window, crying when Jennie approached her.

 

“Can I please talk with you?” She asked carefully. But Hyeri only rolled her eyes and stood up to walk away.

 

“I’m sorry. God, Hyeri, I’m so sorry.” Jennie croaked effectively stopping Hyeri from walking away. “I’m so sorry about what I said about your father okay? I know what it feels to lose someone to cancer and I… I’m sorry. I don’t know what it is but you bring up the insecurities in me, and I end up being the worst possible version of myself.” She confessed, because it was the truth, Hyeri was… is everything Jennie wished to be.

 

“Welcome to the club.” Hyeri said sarcastically but stayed in place nonetheless.

 

“Seulgi told me what you said about wanting to get Rosie’s song right, the one she admitted was about me, ‘Stars.’ And I think that’s what makes it so hard you know…” Jennie admits. “The fact that she found this amazing person with such a big heart… And it was never my ring.” She said, and it that moment she realized despite all the pain in her heart she was finally accepting her circumstances. “I was just trying to hurt you. And the only reason I recognized it is because that’s the ring Chaeyoung grandpa gave to her grandmother. So you have to know how much Chaeyoung loves you if she wanted to you to have it.”

 

“Why would you tell me that?” Hyeri questioned, unsure.

 

“So you stop doubting it. So we stop doing this. You gave me a clean slate and I threw it back at your face…” Jennie chuckled humorlessly, ashamed of herself. “I guess it’s obvious I’m not the Jennie Rosie used to talk to you so much about.” She shrugged. “I don’t think I ever was.”

 

“I think you were. And I think you still are. It’s just… you are not a couple anymore. And in a way it breaks my heart because the way Chaeyoung talked about you made me root for you guys, But Chaeyoung and I have written our song now, and that’s a chapter I’m not going to apologize for.”

 

“No, you don’t have too.” Jennie said honestly. “Maybe we can both move on… start over.”

 

Hyeri sighed. “Moving on sounds… way overdue.”

 

Memories they're following me like a shadow now

And I'm dreamin'

And I've already suffered the fever of disbelief

I've seen your act

And I know all the facts

I'm still in love with who I wish you were

 

------------------------------

 

“It’s kinda of eerie being here after seeing it filled with people don’t you think?” Lisa asked Chaeyoung who was watching as the last few expectators left the gym.

 

“A little.” She says. “Always left me with this feeling of… I don’t know… emptiness maybe, like you work endless hours for a 5 minute presentation and then that’s it, you are meant to move on to something else.”

 

“Well it makes feel like I can finally rest.” Said Lisa. “I don’t think I saw your fiance here. Not did I see Jisoo…”

 

“Seulgi wasn’t here either… also… Jisoo?”

 

 

Lisa sighed. “I’m not avoiding her… I’m just prolonging our talk.” She admits.

 

“Any reason why?”

 

“Despite the ones you already know? Not really… guess is just hard to get back into the ring with the one knocked you out in the first place you know.” Lisa shrugged. “But I did promise to talk her… so I will, when I’m ready.”

 

“As long as you give her a chance, I’m happy.”

 

“Don’t you worry your pretty little mind about, but I gotta go… I promise Mia we’d watch Frozen tonight, bye Chipmunk.”

 

And just like that Chaeyoung is left alone on the gym, only a few lights which kinda increased the emptiness of the place, sighing she sat on the bench, thinking as she usually did after practice.

 

“Hi.”

 

“I was looking for you.” Chaeyoung said as Hyeri sat besides her on the bench.

 

“I was here. Watcha thinging about?”

 

“Everything… I guess.”

 

“Well come out of the clouds, Chae. Be here with me instead. I brought you some stir fry, no mushrooms.”