Ashes of Dreams You Let Die

This Town

Chaeyoung was sitting down in her office, right by her piano, a cup of coffee and her a notebook right next to it, behind her , by the couch, a couple of boxes revealing several notebooks and papers, a few napkin finding their way there after the blonde got inspired in the middle of lunch.

 

She woke up in the middle of the night with a melody that hasn’t been able to leave her mind, it’s not much but is better than nothing. She woke up and took out her notebook writing down the notes for the melody..

 

After getting some more coffee she sat back down and started playing the melody, closing her eyes playing it over and over again until finally some words came out...

 

How can someone stand so damn close

And feel like they're worlds away?

I can see your sad story eyes

So how do you have no words to say?

 

Well okay then, it’s not a full song, but damn she was finally able to come out with something other garbage, smiling she reached for her notebook at wrote down the words, she then went back to her piano and continued to play, as she opened to mumble out a few more words a beautiful voice interrupted her…

 

All I want is to fall in deeper

Than I've ever been, why won't you let me?

I can handle your heart, so help me.

 

Smiling she stopped and turned to look at the door.

 

“I really don’t know what the song is about but that’s the first thing that came to mind.” Her girlfriend said with a shrug as she walked further into the room with a plate of what seemed to be pancakes and bacon.

 

“Are you trying to take my job?” The blonde asked amused, allowing her girlfriend to sit sideways on her lap, her arms going around Hyeri’s waist.

 

“Well you see the song writer I was working with has not delivered one song to me and it’s like way to long past her deadline.” The brunette said, taking a bite of the pancake. “Figured if she’s not gonna do it, maybe I should.” She then proceeded to feed Chaeyoung with her fork.

 

“Wow, she sounds terrible.” The blonde said back, mid-chew.

 

“Yeah… but I love her so what can you do right?” She said pecking the blonde on the lips. “So?”

 

“So what?”

 

“Do they work? The lyrics I just brilliantly came up with… do they work?” Hyeri asked looking expectantly at her girlfriend.

 

“Surprisingly they do.” The blonde reached out for her notebook and showed her the lyrics she started writing. “This is how I started it so actually your word fit quite nicely.”

 

“I’m glad.” She said smiling, “Were you up all night?”

 

“Just a part of it, I don’t know I woke up inspired, even managed to finish a couple of my old songs, I mean, babe, I haven’t felt this inspired in a while.” The blonde said with a happy look, the brunette thought she looked adorable with her cheeks filled with pancakes.

 

“I’m glad. I really am. And it’s a good thing you are so energized after barely sleeping, cause you have practice in like eight minutes. Off you go coach.”

 

------------------------------------

 

Jisoo woke up that morning feeling energized but two hours into being stuck in the middle of construction worker hell she was ready to give up on everything. Her head was pounding with the constant drilling, slamming, the place was a mess and on top of that her phone hasn’t stopped buzzing and she’s honestly so tired of it.

 

“Jesus, , what?!”

 

“Who peed in your cheerios, chichu?”

 

“Jenduki,” She said in relief, her tone changing in a second. “Sorry about that, what’s up?”

 

“Guess where I am?

 

“Chilling in your new office, while I’m here stuck in construction hell…” She said watching how a worker almost tripped and pushed a bucket of cement on the floor making a mess.

 

“I’ll have you know, I’m stuck in construction hell as well, do you know how hard it is to get a studio ready? Also I don’t believe you for a second, you are enjoying it, Admit it.”

 

“Am I enjoying the construction? No I am not.” She says, but then she smiles. “But am I enjoying doing something on my own terms for once? Something based on my choices? Hell yes. Can’t wait to see my mother’s face when she sees th…” A bip coming from her phone interrupted her, when checking who it was she can’t help but roll her eyes. “Speaking of the devil, my mother’s calling.”

 

“Well it’s a good thing you are already in hell. Call me later.”

 

“Okay.” She says, taking a deep breath before taking the call, “Mother.” She says.

 

“Why don’t I have your flight itinerary?”

“Because I’m not going anywhere, as I already told you I’m staying here indefinitely.”

 

“What exactly are you going to do huh? You can’t manage a company from there.”

 

“Who says I can’t?” She says, getting angrier. “I managed it through college and modeling before you even came along, so don’t tell me what I can or cannot do.”

 

“You are jeopardizing the company! You are the face of the brand and your absence can cause irreparable harm. What the hell has gotten into you?”

 

“Home.” She answered, seeing a piece of the wall they were tearing down which had thankfully remained intact.. “I have to go.” She said hanging up and walking to the worker which was carrying the piece to the trash bin outside.

 

“Excuse me.” She calls him back. “We are keeping this.”

 

The worker brings the piece back and places it leaning against another wall. “Are you sure ma’am?”

 

She nods. “This belongs here.” She crouches down and reaches to touch it, a quote written in black vinyl on it.

 

Clare’s Cafe was a small but very well known cafe on Riverfall, it was the kind of place kids would stop by before school, where police officers or workers would stop by during lunch, the kind of place that made you feel like home.

 

Before the Parks owned YG Nightclub, they established Clare’s Cafe shortly after their first born, Alice, came into the world, it became a strong part of town with offers to expand it or open new locations outside of Riverfall, but they weren’t looking for money, there ran it out of love and it’s this same cafe where a lot of Jisoo’s memories were created.

 

[Nine Years Ago]

 

Jisoo walks into the cafe, the bell above the door announcing her presence. She walks to their usual table where Chaeyoung could be found, the brunette girl could always be found there what with her parents being the owners and the fact that she helped around when they were short on staff. As per usual when Jisoo sat down Chaeyoung was sketching, her eyes glued to the as she had her subject memorized to perfection.

 

Taking a quick peek into the notebook, she rolls her eyes with a smile. “Pasta, I have a question.”

 

“I have an answer.” Chaeyoung says not looking up from her notebook.

 

“When are you going to stop sketching Jendukie? I mean the actual dumpling is right in front on you, waitressing everyday before school, shouldn’t you be doing something about that crush of yours?” She asked taking a piece of Chaeyoung’s bacon. “You’ve had a crush on her since what? Pre-school.” She joked.

“Freshman year.” She clarifies. “She’s my best friend, Jisoo. I mean other than you. I really don’t want to ruin that. Besides I really don’t think she’s interested.” She says sadly gesturing with her head towards where the girl was laughing at a jocks joke.

 

“You are so much better than that dude, Pasta.” Jisoo says, comforting her friend. “I’m pretty sure if you just take the leap she’ll say yes. She’s my best friend too, other than you of course, so call it besties intuition, just take a chance.”

 

“Maybe.” She mumbles, taking one last look at the waitress before turning to Jisoo and changing the subject. “And you? Have you talked to your mom about the modeling thing?”

 

The girls demeanor changer quickly from happy to sad and disappointment. “She’s not here, and I don’t know when she comes back, dad’s gone too so…” She finished shrugging, as Chaeyoung opened to comfort her, Jisoo’s demeanor once again changed quickly when a plate of fried chicken strips appear in front of her.

 

“Kim Jisoo, what did I tell you about being sad on my cafe?” Mrs Park asked her, she was like a mom to her, more than her actual mom was. And like any mother she knew when she was sad or upset without even having to say anything.

 

“Not to.” She said with a small voice.

 

“That’s right, come to dinner tonight, I’ll make your favorite and you can be sad all you want at the comfort of your home.” Mrs Park tells her with a comforting pat on her shoulder, making Jisoo feel warm, loved and cared for. Something she never felt at her own house.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Park.” She says, her voice cracking a bit.

 

“For the nth time, call me Clare.”

 

Clare’s Cafe was long gone, just an old building remained of it, which is why when Jisoo came home desperately looking for that comfort and familiarity the first thing she thought of was the cafe and so when the time came for her to take a stand, she used it to buy the one place she felt more comfort in than anywhere else.

 

“Somebody told me that this is the place where everything’s is better and everything’s fine.” She reads the quote on the piece of wall out loud. “It’s seems you were more than right Mrs Park.”

 

-------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung was at practice with the school’s team, arms crossed and a frown on her face while she watches them run through the choreography.

 

“Hey, pick it up. Let’s go!” She yells at them. “On time with the beat people, one, two, three!” She yells at them doing the steps with her arms.

 

“Hey, coach. Got a sec?” Seulgi walks in, and Chaeyoung turns around to greet her.

 

“That depends are you gonna be one of those teachers constantly complaining about my dancers grades?” She asked raising her brow. “

 

“Depends if your dancers are failing my class, I will be.”

 

“Fair enough.” The blonde says as she gestures towards the class. “Though as you can see grades are the least of the problems for this team.”

 

Seulgi grimaced at the uncoordinated mess that the dancer were. “Yes, I can.”

 

“Okay, everyone you can go now and for the love of God practice the moves.” The blondes dismiss practice and gestures for Seulgi to sit down by the benches.”So what’s up?”

 

“Sooo… I heard you rented the extra space at YG to Jennie. Is Hyeri okay with that?”

 

“Yeah, I think so, why”

 

“Because we both know Jennie is more than just an ex-girlfriend. Everybody knows that, including your current girlfriend.” Because pretty much everyone in town who went to same high school as them knew about Jennie and her. High school sweethearts, couple of the year.

 

“Why do I have a feeling Hyeri spoke to you?” The blonde questioned.

 

“Because she did.” The teacher admitted, “She told me you spent all night writing and we both can’t help but notice the timing in which your writer's block disappeared.”

 

The blonde chuckled. “Did she send you out here to get information?”

 

“Yes.” Her friend admitted without shame.

 

“Wow.” The blonde said. “I’m your friend too you jerk.”

 

“Yes, but she also doesn’t have anybody out here other than you and me, hence this time I’m on her side.” Seulgi said crossing her arms and raising her eyebrow, “So?”

 

The blonde sighed. “Jennie was my friend before being my girlfriend. So I’m just helping out an old friend okay?”

 

“Good answer.” Seulgi nodded. “Because I have lunch with her today. Now… when does LIsa come back? Cause my wife has been covering her shifts at the bar and I miss my human pillow.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

Days later Jennie’s studio was finally ready, it wasn’t anything big. Her new record label, had a office, a break room with a billiard table and of course the studio, that’s probably what she supervised the most, it was the only thing that matter to her, having a space with the best equipment to record and produce life changing songs.


 

Today was finally the day when she was able to settle down, bring down her stuff, set up her office etc.., so here she was setting up her new office. She was putting up prints of her favorite album covers,from the artist and music that inspired her growing up or that change her life in some way when she was interrupted by a knock on her door. Turning around she saw Hyeri was the visitor, she turned back to finish up placing the last cover with a frown confused as to why the girl was here.

 

“Wow.” Hyeri exclaimed, looking around at the office. “This is officially the best office I’ve ever been in.” She said, walking in.

 

“Yeah.” Jennie chuckled. “Now I just need to sign some bands and prove to myself this wasn’t a big mistake.” She walked a couple steps forward to stand behind her desk, a metaphorical barrier between the other girl and girl.

 

“Well, from what I’ve hear about you I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem.” The brunette said smiling walking towards the desk to stand in front of Jennie.

 

“I hope you are right.” Jennie said, crossing her arms.

 

“Oh! This is for you.” Hyeri said after a few seconds of staring at each other, the brunette noticing she was not going to get a conversation out of Jennie. The brunette set down a flower pot with an intertwined bamboo on it. “It’s supposed to bring good luck.” She said with a smile.

 

“Oh..” Jennie said with a an awkward yet polite smile.

 

“It’s a lucky bamboo. They don’t need much water just make sure you water it everyday…” The brunette trailed off.

 

“I will. Thank you”

 

“Okay.” Hyeri nodded. “Well I gotta go but if you ever need help for anything please know that I’m here.”

 

“Good to know.” Jennie says once again with a polite smile.

 

“Bye, Jennie.”

 

Jennie stares as Hyeri walks out of her office with a frown on her face, she then looks at the bamboo and stares at it judging it…

 

“Lucky bamboo my .”

 

---------------------------

 

As for Jisoo her construction nightmare had finished and her new boutique had finally finished. What she needed now was to take everything out of the boxes and on to the racks and shelves.

 

“Chichu!” Chaeyoung greeted as soon as she walked into the store. She takes out her phone and starts taking pictures. “Mom told me to take photo once you were done destroying her cafe.”

 

“Okay, that’s not fair.” Jisoo said with a small pout. “I kept the quote though.” She said cheekily pointing at the corner were the piece of wall with the quote was hanging.

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. “Okay, I’ll make sure to mention it in my e-mail.” She says pocketing her phone. “What made you open a store here?”

 

“Same reason you are coaching the dance team, same reason you stayed here I guess.” SHe shrugged. “It’s home. And it’s good to be home.”

 

Chaeyoung walked towards the counter and leaned against it next to Jisoo, looking around the store in amazement. “I gotta be honest. I think it’s the best way to continue the cafe’s legacy, I’m just impressed by how quick you got it ready.” She turned to Jisoo with a smile. “You are pretty impressive, Chichu.”

 

“I know.” She said winking.

 

“So is it everything you’ve imagined? Having your own fashion empire I mean?”

 

Jisoo’s smile faltered slightly. “Today it is. Ask me again tomorrow.”

 

“Is your mother still bothering you?”

 

“Mhm.” The brunette nodded. “She says I’m hurting the company, that I’m not capable of doing this...” She shrugged. “You know… the usual.”

 

“Chichu.” The blonde said placing her hand on top the brunette’s in a comforting manner. “You know she’s wrong right?”

 

The brunette shrugged again. “I guess.”

 

“You guess?” Chaeyoung asked almost offended. “That’s not a question, Jisoo. She is wrong. I will be damned if I let you think low of yourself while standing in my mother’s destroyed cafe.”

 

“Hey! I kept the quote!.” Jisoo exclaimed.

 

“Whatever you say, Chichu.” The taller girl chuckled. “I also came by to warn you about something else…” She looked at Jisoo who stared at her with a frown. “Lisa is coming back tomorrow.”

 

Jisoo cleared and nodded. “Cool.”

 

“Cool?”

 

“Yeah, Why do I need a warning about that? I don’t need a warning I’m fine.” SHe answered a little too quickly, which the blonde obviously caught.

“If you say so.”

 

“And Jennie?” SHe asked trying to change the subject.

 

“What about Jennie?” The blonde asked, crossing her arms.

 

“You are helping her right?” Chaeyoung nodded as response so Jisoo responded. “And that’s it?”

 

“Yes, why would there be anything else?” The blonde asked confused.

 

“Because Jennie is not just an ex-girlfriend.” The other girls says simply.

 

“Are you working along with Seulgi on this? The blonde asked. “She asked the same thing.”

 

“Because we all know of you and Jennie’s history, hell this friendship.” She point at the both of them, “Was almost terminated because of her.” She puts her hand up to stop the blonde from answering. “I’m well over that, but you get the point.”

 

Because yes, Kim Jisoo once had a huge fat crush on her best friend Chaeyoung Park, they even dated for a while, before the blonde’s feelings for the brunette got too much to be ignored Jisoo was in a way her way to get over of Jennie and the thing is the blonde really did not think so, in her mind thought she was over Jennie because the truth is a part of her was in love with Jisoo too except the other part won and Jisoo although understanding was left heart broken. Needless to say that left the friendship broken for a while and it took time to get back to where it was before, which it has. But is for that same reason that Jisoo knows that Chaeyoung helping Jennie goes way beyond friendship even if her blonde friend hasn’t realized it yet, because she’s an oblivious idiot like that sometimes.

 

“I’m well aware of what happened back then, Jisoo. And I will never apologize enough.” The blonde said seriously. “And as I told Seulgi, me and Jennie started of as friends so I’m just helping out an old friend.”

 

“If you say so.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

Back at the studio, Jennie is taking stuff out of a box still adding the final touches to her office when she’s interrupted again, now by a welcomed presence.

 

“So this is it, huh? You are doing it.” Irene walked in and looked around.

 

“Yep.” Jennie nodded proudly. “Hopefully, it’s just the beginning.”

 

“Wow, I can say I was here when it all started. Maybe I should steal something to commemorate the occasion.” She said joking.

 

“Well, if there is no stopping you…” She said gesturing to the plant on her desk.

 

“Bamboo.”

 

“Lucky Bamboo.” She clarified. “A gift from Hyeri.”

 

“Chaeyoung’s Hyeri?” The brunette asked.

 

“Is there any other Hyeri in this town?”

 

“That’s nice of her...right?”

 

“Too nice.” Jennie said squinting her eyes. “Suspiciously nice.” She rolled her eyes at the look her friend was giving her. “She comes here out of nowhere to mark her territory and then she says she’s here if I need anything, like how obvious can you be?” She explained.

 

“I really don’t think that’s the case, I think she really just wanted to let you know she’s here if you need help. She is a producer mind you.” Said Irene defending her friend.

 

“She wanted me to know she’s here to stay.” Jennie said crossing her arms.

 

“So what if that’s the case? And I’m not saying it is because Hyeri is not like that, but assuming it is, why would it matter is not like you came back for Chaeyoung or did you?” Irene asked crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow.

 

“No.” Jennie said. “I’m not here for Chae. I came back here for me.” And if she hesitated a bit before saying that well Seulgi is not going to mention it, they are not ready to open that can or worms just yet.

 

“Good that’s what I thought.” They stare at each other awkwardly for a few seconds before Irene changes the subject into one less dramatic. “Sooo… who is this band?”

 

Jennie and Irene walk towards the club where a band is doing soundcheck on the stage, a dude with a mohawk is the main vocalist, another two guys with long hair and tattoos are in the background, one playing the guitar, another the drums, a girl is playing the bass and another shy looking girl plays the keyboard on the very back.

 

“They are local.” Said Jennie over the noise. “And they are unsigned.” She says with a smile.

 

Irene looks at the band and then at Jennie. “You can tell that just by looking at them?”

 

“Well, six years in LA gave me that.”

 

-----------------------


 

The next day as Jennie closes the door from her meeting with the band’s leader she looks at the bamboo on her desk with squinted eyes. Because the meeting was a mess, the band leader was an , an refused to signed with her because she had no other acts under her name. It didn’t matter how many song she had produced during her time in LA, she didn’t have anyone right now to prove herself, hence the band leader declined the offer.

 

Angrily she stands up and takes the bamboo throwing it to the trash.

 

“Lucky bamboo my .”

 

So she was in a bad mood, not the best time to talk to people you don’t really like but it seems Jennie differs on the idea. Which is why she’s making her way to the familiar red door she used to come in and out of pretty much everyday during her high school years. Hyeri is there, arranging stuff in the kitchen when she comes in, because yes just like Jisoo she too has a key to Chaeyoung’s house.

 

“Jennie. Hi.” Hyeri greets happily. “Chaeyoung isn't here, but she should be back anytime no..”

 

“I came here to see you.” Jennie interrupts. “Why did you bring me that lucky bamboo?” She asked frowning.

 

“Well, I just wa…”

 

“No, I’ll tell you why.” She interrupts her again. “You were marking your territory, and that’s okay. I get it. But for the record I’m not after Chaeyoung, okay?”

 

“I didn’t think you were.” Hyeri says calmly yet her body was in a defensive stand.

 

“Then what do you want?” Jennie asked frustrated. “Cause, seriously, people are just not that nice.”

 

“Jennie, my whole life, I wanted to be a producer, so when I made it, a friend of mine gave me a lucky bamboo for my office. Now, I'm not naive enough to think that I found my way because of some plant on my desk, but that plant was a symbol that I had finally made it. That's all I was trying to give you…” She explained, calmly as she made her way to the door. “...a reminder of the first day you started living your dream. But it's good to know you're not after Chae.” She opened the door and gestured for Jennie to go out. “Good luck.”

 

Jennie releases a breath as all her anger left her, she nods and quickly walks out the door, as she makes her way to her car she sees Chaeyoung parking on her house and walking to the door, well . The last she needed was to give the blonde one more reason to hate her.

 

The blonde, oblivious to what just happened walks into her house and sees her girlfriend leaning forward on the counter looking down on it, confused she decides to thread lightly and think if there is anything she forgot to do this morning, she’s sure she didn’t, she made sure there was more coffee made before she left so Hyeri could have some, she washed her breakfast dishes, so what exactly was the problem?

 

“Hey.” She greets lightly, hoping that whatever made her girlfriend mad was not her fault.

 

“I’ve been putting on a brave face for weeks now.” Hyeri admits. “You have these two gorgeous ex-girlfriends back in town, and I’m trying so hard to be okay with it.” She looks up to Chaeyoung and walks towards her. “But I need to know and I promise I’ll never ask again...Should I be worried about us?”

 

“Hyeri. I love you.” The blonde says. “You have nothing to worry about”