Brave New World

This Town

Jisoo successfully picked the lock of the house with the red door, well technically she didn’t pick the lock, she had a key. She’s had a key for this house since she was 14, she's practically lived here since she was in diapers. The Parks felt more like her family than her own family. Her coming in unannounced was more than normal for her.

 

Not much has changed in the house, sure the furniture was more fitting for a 24 year old living there, instead of Mrs. Park making breakfast, she greets a big orange fish in his tank, the shelves once filled with family pictures are now filled with various music books, postcards and other souvenirs Chaeyoung’s parents have given her on her travels. There a few other things she doesn’t recognize but she figures that’s to be expected.

Walking down the small hallway towards her friends room her mind goes back to their high school day where she would come in monday mornings before school, greeting Mrs Park who was making breakfast and sneaking into Chaeyoung’s room who would usually be asleep and surprised her by jumping on top of her to wake up. So it’s only logical that she does the same today…

“Surprise!” She screams jumping on top of the lump in the bed, only to be surprised herself at the sight. “You are not Chaeyoungie.”

The other girl looks up at her surprised. “You are Kim Jisoo.”

“Yeah. Hi.” She says with a smile then tilts her head sideways. “You are wearing me. Your PJs are from my sleepwear collection.”

“Yeah. I love it.”

“Thank you.” She says humbly to the girl below her.

“You are so pretty in person.”

Jisoo smiles once again. “Thanks, so are you.”

After a few seconds of quiet the other girl speaks. “Okay, as much as I love your clothing line, I have a girlfriend, who I’m sure would have questions about this.”

As if on queue, Chaeyoung walked in to look at the scene surprised and confused…

“Wow, really? Right in front of my coffee.”

Jisoo gets off of the girl and gets up to walk up to Chaeyoung. “Hey, Pasta.”

“Chichu.” She says smiling. “Oh, I missed you.”

 

---------------------------------------------------

Lisa was buying a pair of crepes on the park, since today was her day off she wanted to spent some quality time with her family. This is how her days off usually went, spending time with her five year old step-sister, the little girl accompanied her during the days, Lisa would help her with the homework, other times she’d take her to the dance studio, or to the photography studio to develop her films.

“So what do you want to do today?” She asked her step-sister, giving a quick thanks to the vendor, she gives one crepe to the girl.

“I dunno.” She says shrugging. “Play. I guess.”

“Me too buddy.”

“Don’t you have a job?” The little girls aks, taking a bite from her crepe.

“Who are you, my mom?” Lisa scuffed. “It’s my day off.”

“Whoa.” The girl exclaimed. “What is that?” She pointed at a homemade car, the kind you use for derbys, while a man passed some flyers.

“Soapbox derby, bug.” Lisa said looking at the car. “I participated in a race like this when I was kid, it was fun but very painful.” She says as she crouches down to be at the same height as the girl, “See this.” She pulls up her shirt sleeve to show her a small scar on her forearm. “The car derailed and I went straight into the barricade.”

“Cool, Can I participate?” The little girl asked taking another bite of her crepe.

“If you behave for the rest of day you can.” She promised.

“Can auntie Chae help us?”

“I don’t know if she can, bug. But how about you ask her when she picks you up today?” She said, she then took out her camera getting inspired by how transfixed the kid was with the derby car. Photography would always be her first love and passion, but after the passing of her father and her mom getting sick she has learned that nothing can replace family, nothing can replace those happy childhood memories and Lisa bowed to give Mia the happiest of memories, always providing her from an escape from her mother’s illness, letting her know she wasn’t alone and would never be alone.

----------------------------------------

Back by the bridge, Jennie once again was there sitting on the old bench with two coffees on her hands.

“Hey.”

 

She looks up to see Jisoo walking her way. “Hey.” She greets back.

Jisoo started as she sat down and took the coffee from Jennie’s hand. “I went to see Chae and I met her girlfriend.” She says with a small cringe, kinda of worried of how Jennie was going to react.

“So?” The other girl asked.

“She seems happy. She’s also very nice.”

“I’m glad.” At seeing the look her friend gave her she continued. “I really am. I know what you are thinking and you are wrong, Rosie and I haven’t been together for three years. That’s not why I came back.” Jennie crossed her arms and turned to look at the river while her friend stared at her with a raise eyebrow.

“Mhm… and I totally believe you.” Clarified Jisoo at seeing the look her friend shot at her.

They stayed in silence for some time until Jennie got tired of the constant buzzing coming from her friends phone.

“Okay, don’t think you should be answering that?”

Jisoo looked at her phone for a few seconds before sighing and turning it off. “Just the office, probably the board has now realized I’m not in Milan as I should’ve been. Bet my mother is having a cow over that.” Jisoo explained, yes the company was hers but her mother had supported her when she first started, problem is… she decided to give her all the attention she once wanted as kid now coincidentally when she’s the owner of a very big company.

“Should you maybe tell her you are alive at least?” Jennie knew how fragile and pretty much non existent the relationship between Jisoo and her parents was, she also knew as much as the girl tried to pretend otherwise she was affected by the lack of care, hence why she takes and accepts everything her mother gives her and subconsciously ends up doing what he asked just to keep her close.

“Nope.” She answered simply. “It’s fine, I do what I want.” Now Jisoo was the one who crossed her arms and turned to looked at the river. “I do have a question for you however…”

“Shoot.”

“What happened when Chaeyoung went to LA?” She asked as she knew something had happened, but ever since that visit her friend had been awfully quiet about all things revolving her now blonde ex.

“The first time or the second time?” Jennie once again crossed her arms and looked at the river, silently praying Jisoo was asking about the second time.

“The second time… we are nowhere near ready to talk about the first time.” Jisoo answered, even if she knew what happened the first time, her friend hadn’t been to open to talk about it.

Jennie took a deep breath before explaining…

[LOS ANGELES, Two years ago]

Jennie was on a coffee run as she usually was at this time, being the assistant of the assistant meant she was was the one stuck doing coffee runs, and photocopies and all the boring stuff no one wanted to do, as she was waiting in line she heard her phone ringing

“Hello?”

“Hey...It’s Chae.” Jennie’s heart stopped beating at the sound of her voice. “I know it’s been a while, but I, uh, I’ll be in LA for a few days… I got nominated for an award.”

“Yeah.” She said with a small smile. “I know, I mean I read about it.”

“Yeah.” Her heart skipping a beat once again at the sound of the girl’s chuckle. “I’ve been pacing around the house wondering If I should call or not, considering how we left things.”

“No, it’s more than okay.” She reassured her, because it was, it was definitely more than okay. “It’s actually good to hear your voice.”

“Yours too.” The other girl admitted. “I was wondering if you are not too busy...I’d love to see you.”

“Yeah..yes. I’d love to see you too.”

“That’s great!, Well I gotta go, but, uh, I...I’ll see you soon then.”

“See you soon.”

Jennie told the story to Jisoo who was listening and trying to piece together all the small details she knew about what the hell happened with her two friends.

“What do you mean you didn’t show up?” Jisoo asked surprised and a little upset, her friend had her shot right there and she willingly let it go? The ?

“I did show up.” Jenni clarified. “I did, I just didn’t walk in. When I got there she was with another girl, I figured they were together so I left, what was the point anyway?”

“What was the point?” Jisoo asked in disbelief. “The point was that she wanted to see you, even after what happened, she wanted to see you, to talk to you. And just because she was with someone else didn’t mean they were together, you dumb dumb.”

“Well it’s done okay, Jisoo?” Jennie said already done with the conversation, Jisoo was right they were nowhere near ready to talk about it. “It’s done, she’s with someone else anyway.”

-------------------------------------

“All right everyone take five.” She stood in front of several teenage girls eager to dance. The last coaches hadn’t been successful in leading the team to the win. But the principal of the school hoped that with Chaeyoung and Lisa’s help that would change soon.

“Chipmunk.” Lisa greeted as soon as she walked in, leaving her things on the bench.

“Hey. And hello to you too little bug.” She said to her niece. Lisa sister was almost like her own, the little girl was constantly either with her or wherever Lisa was, she was a permanent and welcomed fixture on their lives.

“I’m gonna race on a soap-opera race derby.” The little girl said.

“What?” The blonde asked confused looking at Lisa.

“Oh didn’t I tell you, you are helping her build a soapbox derby car.” Lisa smiled.

“Am I now?”

An hour later Chaeyoung and Elle were in her apartment building the car. Lisa had left to do a shoot in a nearby city but it would take her a couple of days, hence why the little girl is staying with Chae for the time being.

“Chaeyoungie, I brought lunch...and who is this?”

“I’m Mia Manoban.”

“Hi! I’m Kim Jisoo.”

“You are pretty.”

“Thank you!” The brunette said with a big smile. “So are you.” She booped the little girls nose making her smile. “Also… Manoban?” She turned to look at her friend who gave her smirk and a nod. “Huh...interesting.”

“Why?” The little girl asked.

“Yes, why is it interesting, Chichu?” The blonde said, the smirk never leaving her face.

“No, reason.” She answered with a forced smile. “How’s the writing going?” She asked quickly changing the subject.

“Fine.” Her friend answered quickly. “How’s the talking to your mother going?”

“Fine.”

“Good.”

“Good.”

“Can I have some puddin?” The little girl interrupted. Chaeyoung turned to look at the little girl who sitting down on the couch drawing on a piece of paper.

“Sure, but just one okay?”

After lunch Chaeyoung had left for a bit as she had a meeting with her producer and the artist she was meant to be writing songs for. Meanwhile Jisoo stayed behind to take care and to entertain Mia.

“Mia, this is very cool.” Jisoo said, hearing the story of how the girl decided to participate in the race.

“Yeah, I guess.” The girl shrugged but didn’t sound as excited as before.

“You guess? Are you not excited for this?” The older girls asked curiously passing a red crayon to the kid.

“Kind of, but it’s supposed to be my car, and they are not letting me do anything.”

“Well then you gotta tell them that buddy.” Jisoo said, she didn’t think she’d be giving life lessons to a kid at this stage of her life, but here she is. “You know take a stand.”

The girl frowned and tilted her head to the side. “What do you mean?”

“I mean...like if you want your car to be blue instead of pink you should tell them that it’s your car and you want it blue, you know? Like don’t give in, Mia…” She sighed. “If you start doing it now it will only get worse overtime.” So maybe Jisoo wasn’t talking about the car, but the girl needed to learn to not take anyone’s … Jisoo still hasn’t figured out how to not give in.

[NEW YORK, Three years ago]

Jisoo was leaving a movie premiere as per usual, usually she liked to skip the movie and just go home, but this time her date decided he wanted to watch the movie, hence why they are leaving the premiere later than expected.

“Don’t you think the paparazzi are getting out of hand?” She asked after somehow making it safe inside the limo.

“We pay them good money to talk about the brand, I hope you were nice.” Her mother said seriously.

“I was nice.”

“Harry, did you enjoy yourself?” The woman asked her date.

“I did.” He nodded, adjusting himself on the seat. “I thought the movie was…”

“Driver, please pull over.” Jisoo’s mother ignored him and as soon as the car stopped she turned to look at the guy. “Listen, this was nice and all, but your job is done here.”

“Mom!”

“What?”

“You are only here so the tabloids think my daughter isn’t alone, your job here is done, please leave.” Her mother had a fake smile on her face and as the guy turned to look at Jisoo confused, the brunette only shrugged and turned to look away. The guy sighs angry and disappointed but leaves the car nonetheless.

"Why do you always do this?” Jisoo asked frustrated. “What if I really wanted to keep seeing him huh?”

“Darling, you are the CEO and owner of a multimillion dollar company you have no time for love.” Her mother said matter of factly. “The sooner you realize that the better for you.” The woman ignored the angry stare of her daughter and took her phone out. “We need to talk about the model line up, the redheaded one is not suitable for the line, she needs to go.”

“So you are gonna fire her?” The brunette frowned. She had overlooked the model casting herself and she was sure all the picked models where suitable.

“Oh no, you are gonna fire her.” The woman dialed a number and passed the phone to Jisoo without looking at her. “It’s your company, darling. I just work here.”

------------------------------------------

“So that morning, I read an article about how she was recently sober but she apparently fell off the wagon again.” Jisoo told her story and took a shot.

“And then my label signs this...talentless bimbo to her record deal.” Jennie scuffed. “I wasn’t going to be a part of that.” The brunette shook her head and took and shot.

“This entitled thinks he can just come up to my class and call me names...and then, and then the principal decides to sit in my class as if I needed babysitting.” Seulgi another one of their high school friends takes a shot and calls for another round.

“Ladies.” The bartender greeted them for the third time tonight refilling both Jisoo’s and Jennie’s she then leaned closer to the third customer “Babe.” Kissed her cheek and refilled her glass.

The three girls took their glasses and with a quick toast they drank it all and placed her glassed back, asking for one more.

“Was the day really that ty for all of you?” Irene asked amused, refilling their glassed one more time.

“Ugh...baby, why did I want to be a teacher?” Seulgi asked annoyed.

“I dunno baby, but it’s too late to turn back now.” She said still amused, in reality her wife always enjoyed the arts, whether it was singing, dancing, drawing she just loved it, so as she grew older she wanted to teach other people about art hoping that her class, just like art, could be an escape.

Thankfully it wasn’t too packed tonight as there was no musical guest, usually those nights were the busiest, Irene usually took the stage on those nights but tonight she had to cover for Lisa who was out of town. So she kept talking to the girls in between serving other customers, as her eyes looked up from the drink she was preparing she served to the customer and quickly headed over to the girls. “So I don’t want to add more iness to your ty day but Chae’s girlfriend is coming this way.” She told Jennie, which made the girl take another shot before faking a smile.

Seulgi turned around, the girl greeted her with a genuine smile. “Hyeri, Hey! How are you?”

“Seulgi! Hi!” She gave her a side hug and turned to look at the other girls. “Jisoo, right?” She said smiling.

“Hi! Sorry about jumping on you today.”

“No problem at all.” She said chuckling, the then turned to look at the other brunette. “Jennie right?”

“Mhm.” Jennie nodded, stretching out her hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” The girl said smiling. “I heard a lot about you, they are calling the next big thing amongst producers, I guess Chae was right about you.” Jennie looked up at her surprised not expecting to hear that Chaeyoung had talk about her to her girlfriend. “You really are talented.” The girl seemed honest and honestly very nice which for some reason annoyed Jennie to no end.

“Thank you.” She said sincerely.

“Anyways I see my friends over there, so I’ll see you guys.” With a small waive from hand she turned around and left them, the four girls staring at her retreating form.

“So?” Seulgi asked carefully.

“Damn it. I really didn’t want to like her.” The brunette turned back around to the bar

Jisoo rubbed her friends back in a comforting manner. “I know. But she’s great right?”

“Ugh… Irene get me another shot.”

As the night went on, both Jisoo and Jennie found themselves once again at the bridge, Seulgi stayed behind to wait for her wife’s shift to end so they could go home, beside it’s not like she was in the best conditions to drive on her own.

Somehow Jisoo knew they would end up here, seeing how her friends mood shifted from when they first got to the club to the moment after meeting Chaeyoung’s girlfriend, Jisoo knew her friend had something or someone on her mind. Hence why the two girls were once again in their designated bench tonight.

“Seems like another life.” Jisoo broke the silence. Leaning forward she reached out to touch and old lock on the bridges railing.

“For you it was.” The brunette sighed and reached out to touch her own lock, the one she had left six years ago. “I appreciate you coming back here with me, but considering they way your phone’s been blowing up, I’m assuming you have a very busy life to go back to.”

Jisoo shrugged and sat back. “It’s okay, I have a very important friend who needed me.” She said and then adjusted her body so she was facing the other girl completely. “You said you are not back for Chaeyoung, if that’s the case then why did you come back, Jennie?”

The brunette gently the letters marked on her lock and sighed. “I was looking for the inspiration I felt when we left our locks here, I wanted to feel the same passion I felt back then, I was fearless.”

“What happened to that girl?” Jisoo already knew… because she too felt like the girls she was now was a complete stranger.

“That girl started playing the game, a game she doesn’t like.”

“Then play your own game, Jennie.” Jisoo said, as if it was simple. “If you want to be that girl again, start a label. Do it yourself.” Jennie scuffed at the idea chuckling. “I’m serious, Jennie.” She clarified. “I’ll be your investor, I believe in you.” Jisoo said seriously, grabbing a hold of the girls hand and looking her straight in the eyes, before a blonde haired girl caught her attention in the distance. “Unless that’s not really why you came home. I’m going to return those call real quick.” She stood up and walked towards the blonde.

“Hey, I got your text.” The girl greeted.

“Good. Ask about the record label.” The brunette told her quickly before leaving both girls alone.

Chaeyoung frowned and walked the short distance to where Jennie was sitting down, her hands in her pockets keeping them from fidgeting.

Clearing she sat down carefully next to Jennie. “I’m supposed to ask about the record label.”

“I thought you didn’t want to talk to me.” Jennie says, not annoyed or frustrated but accepting of that circumstance.

“You caught me by surprise, didn’t know how else to react. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to talk you.” She answered, despite it all Jennie and her were friends once and she will always care about her in someway. “So the record label?”

“Jisoo, thinks I should start my own label here.” She says simply, as she sits down on her hands, to keep them from being cold and reaching out to the blonde. Doesn’t matter how much it has passed, the pull she felt towards Chaeyoung would always be there.

“Are you gonna do it?”

Jennie didn’t answer, her eyes leaving Chae’s to look at the river, breathing in deeply. “I met Hyeri today. She seems wonderful. How long have you been together?” She asks instead.

Chaeyoung doesn’t answer, but turns to look at the locks attached to the railing. “Why didn’t you come to meet me in LA? Why stood me up?”

[LOS ANGELES, Two years ago]

Chaeyoung was sitting down at the cafe where she was supposed to meet Jennie, she was fidgeting on her seat, constantly looking at the door waiting for the other girl. Hyeri was there with her as she was the one who would drive Chaeyoung around while in LA.

“I’m sure she will come, Chae.” The girl reassured her.

“Yeah, I’m just nervous I guess.”

“While we wait, I just want to say, I’m really proud of you Chae, you have written the most amazing songs and people are starting to notice.” Hyeri said honestly, making Chaeyoung smile thankfully.

“Thank you. You have been a great help in me getting here.” The girl replied back, her hand going to hold the other girls.

“That’s what friends are for.” She answered with a smile, her hand holding Chaeyoung’s tightly.

Unbeknownst to them a brunette girl was already outside of the cafe, having stopped on her trail at seeing the other girl with Rosie, Jennie chuckled sadly, she should’ve known, it’s been almost year she obviously moved on. Shaking her head sadly she walked away, at the end of the day there was no point to this meeting.

Jennie snapped out of her memory by standing up and walking to the railing, leaning her weight on it. “We weren’t meant to be, Rosie.” She said breaking her own heart once again.

 

Chaeyoung looked down, frowning. With the brunette’s back turned to her she didn’t see the look on Chaeyoung face when she said that… like her heart was breaking all over again even if she didn’t want to admit it. Wiping her mind from those thoughts she shook her head and stood up.

“I, uh, have to go. But meet me tomorrow at YG I have something to show you.” With a final nod and receiving the same from Jennie the blonde left the girl to her own devices, while she drove back to her house where her girlfriend was waiting for her.

When she got the Hyeri was sitting on the couch watching TV.

“Hey, I thought you’d be asleep by now.” The blonde walked towards the couch at sat besides the brunette who turned to rest her legs on Chaeyoungs lap, the latter placing her hands on top of her legs caressing them. “How was your night?” She asked, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“It was nice.” Adjusting in her seat she placed both arms around Chaeyoung, hugging her. “I do have a question though are all of your ex-girlfriends that pretty?”

“Not like my current girlfriend, though” The blonde answered cheekily.

“Nice save.” She said giving her a kiss. “Are they staying for long? Jisoo and Jennie?” She asked after pulling away, she didn’t want to admit it, but she was a bit worried.

“I don’t know, Jennie is thinking of opening her own label here.”

“She should do it, from what I’ve heard the girl is good, if she needs help you can’t count on me and since I’m pretty sure you’ll be helping her I promise not to be insanely jealous.”

---------------------------


The next day it was the day of the race and both Chaeyoung and Jisoo were taking Mia to the derby car race. Jisoo even made the little girl a quick yet fashionable racing suit.

“So seriously, how is the writing going?” Jisoo asked Chaeyoung, adjusting Mia’s suit.

“It’s going.” Chaeyoung mumbled.

“So basically no words have been written yet?”

 

“Nope. Not one at all.” She took out her phone and pointed it at Mia. “Okay, Mia stand next to the car, Lisa is asking for a picture.”

 

At Lisa’s name Jisoo’s eyebrow raised slightly in interest, she quickly fixing the last details on the suit she stood aside to let Mia pose with the car.

“So...Lisa...Where is she?” Jisoo asked trying to appear uninterested.

Chaeyoung chuckled while taking several pictures. “Real subtle, Chichu.” she said winking. “But if you really must know she got a photo gig in a nearby city, hence why Mia is staying with me why?” She turned to look at Jisoo with an eyebrow raised. “Regretting your choices now?”

“No, no.” Jisoo denied, “Just curious as to why her sister is with you.”

“Mhm.” The blonde chuckled. “Alright, bug, let’s get you inside the car.” She lifted the girl and got her in the car, placing the helmet on her. “Good luck.”

Stepping away from the start line, Chaeyoung continued to talk to Jisoo. “You know… you can pretend all you want, Jisoo Kim, but we both know there is a big elephant in your heart called Lalisa Manoban. Which will only get bigger once she comes back, you can’t avoid her forever.”

“Pfft...I’m not avoiding her.” Jisoo replied. “I’ll have you know I didn’t know she was here, also there is no big elephant in my heart. I’m CEO and owner of a multi-million company...I have no time for love.” She said seriously, the words coming out automatically as she had been rehearsing them everyday.

“Is that what you think or what your mother thinks?” Chaeyoung crossed her arms and turned to look at their friend.

“Mom of rider 23?” To the benefit of Jisoo, the announcer interrupted so she was unable to answer.

“I’ll go.” She said wanting to avoid the conversation.

“Hey.” she crouched beside the racing car, where the little girl was sitting her eyes, calming down as soon as she saw Jisoo. “Everything okay?”

“I don’t want do this.” Mia said looking down.

“Are you sure?” The brunette asked frowning. “It’s going to be really fun.”

“Lali says I shouldn’t stop doing things because they are scary.” She said. “But I don’t want to end up with a scar.”

“Your sister is right, you don’t.” She reached out to brush a strand of hair behind the girls ear, securing it beneath the helmet. “You don’t know what’s going to happen, maybe you end up winning, maybe you don’t, but if you participate doesn’t mean you will get hurt. Now if you really don’t want to race, it’s okay to back down sometimes, there is always the next race.”

Mia nodded looking down and then up to Jisoo. “I’m taking a stand. I don’t want to race, is that okay?”

“That’s more than okay, buddy. Come here.” Jisoo took the girl into her arms lifting her out of the car and carried her away, while Chaeyoung apologized to the announcer and took the car with them.

--------------------------------

After the race Jisoo stayed with Mia while Chaeyoung went to her meeting with Jennie, she thought about the label idea. Truth is Jisoo wasn’t to far off, Jennie wanted to help create music that could change somebody’s life, the same way Chaeyoung wanted to write songs that could change somebody’s life.

Jennie was good, she remembers the mixes she did in high school, she also remembers how the both of them even worked together a few times, Jennie would help with the melody of some of Chaeyoung’s songs, or vice versa. She knew the brunette could create a label from the ground up and make it grow they way she wanted it too and she wanted to help her do that,

“Little early for drinks don’t you think?” Jennie said with a smirk as she walked into the empty club and saw the blonde sitting by the bar. “I usually start my drinking a lil bit after noon.”

“It’s 12 o’clock somewhere.” The blonde said smiling back. “But I didn’t ask you here to drink, I want to show you something.”

The blonde led Jennie across the club to a big sliding metal door that read employees only, she turned back to Jennie with a smirk and smoothly slided the door open, showing a big empty space on the other side. Jennie leaned to the side to look behind Chaeyoung to the room and then back at her with a frown.

“This is an expansion we had planned to do on the club.” The blonde walked gesturing to the empty space. “Ultimately mom decided not to, because the truth is YG doesn’t need the extra space the club is working perfectly now. So I talked to my mom, which you should be thankful for because I woke up at three in the morning since she is on the other side of the world and we want you to have it. Rent free.” She finished with a smile.

And Jennie’s frown turned to one of surprise.

“Under one condition.”

Jennie looked at her expectantly.

“That it becomes the office space to your new label.”

“Rosie…”

“Aaand I already talked to Jisoo and she gave me a check which I already spent on a new piano and I can’t give her that money back. So I don’t think you have anymore excuses.”

Jennie sighed and walked further into the room, looking around. “You know six years ago I would’ve jumped at this.”

“And now?” The blonde asks frowning.

Jennie crossed her arms and turned to look at her. “I…”

“What?” Chaeyoung interrupted “Because it’s not so simple anymore?” She asked. “It’s not meant to be easy, Jennie. That’s how life works.” She sighed. “My songs got me a grammy, and I can’t seem to write any new ones. Lisa was living her dream as a photographer yet she placed it on hold to be here for Mia and her mom. Seulgi’s boss refuses to believe she can teach an art class. That’s life.” She took a deep breath.“So you couldn't change the world from LA.” The blonde shrugged and took a few steps closer to Jennie. “Change it here.”

“Rosie…” Jennie started.

“I know you can’t do it.” The blonde once again interrupted refusing to accept any excuses or refutal. She squinted her yes playfully and pointed at Jennie. “And so do you.” She finished with a smirk. “Just think about it.” And with that she turned around to leave Jennie alone with her thoughts and feelings.

“I was there, Rosie.” At this Chaeyoung stopped walking and turned back. “At the cafe, I was there.” The brunette admitted. “I was...am so proud of you.” She continued smiling. “But after what happened, we hadn’t talked in a long time, and I saw you with Hyeri and I figured you guys were together, which you clearly are and I’m happy for you, she’s great.”

Chaeyoung stared at her in shock and disbelief because if she only knew the only reason she moved on with Hyeri is because she didn’t show up, she shook her head to get rid of those thoughts because thinking about the what ifs was something she hadn’t done in a long time, nor did she want to start now. Luckily for her Jennie continued talked sparing her of responding.

“But...do you remember back in senior year when you submitted my songs to that contest without asking?” Now it was the brunette’s turn to take steps closer to Chaeyoung. “Do you remember what you said to me?”

Chaeyoung sighed and nodded. “Your art matters.”

“Yeah.” The brunette whispered with a small smile. “It’s like you touched my soul, and a few days ago I was ready to quit again but you saved me with your words, your lyrics, with the way talked about song writing.” She admitted. “So if you are struggling to write your next masterpiece then you should know Rosie...that your art matters, it’s what got me here.”

-----------------------------

You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad luck. Or you can fight back. The truth is things aren’t always going to be fair in the real world. That’s just the way is. But for the most part you get what you give…

“I do love my company, I do…” Jisoo was on the phone signaling with her hand to the other person in the room. “I want to run it from here. No mom stop!”

She sighed frustrated and paced back and forth on the room. “I know it wasn’t the plan, but it’s my company, it’s my life. I’m taking a stand. Bye.”

And for the first time in years Jisoo listened to her own heart and made her own choice without taking anybody else’s input but her own. It’s funny how we as adults are meant to teach kids but somehow little kids have so much to teach us about life.

Jisoo turned back to the broker who was waiting for her and apologize. “Sorry about that, but this is perfect. I’ll take it.” With that she took the contract and signed it confidently, turning to look at the little girl playing with her nintendo switch by the corner, she is once again reminders of her sister…

“Jisoo, there’s gonna be a lot of times in your life when you’re afraid. Being afraid is okay, but if you don’t work through that fear, you might miss out one something great.” The ash-browned hair said. “I’m scared too but I’m willing to take a chance on us why can’t you?”

“Stop… just stop” Jisoo said, pleading.

“I’m just asking for a chance, Jisoo. Why are you letting somebody else make your choices for you?” The girl asked frustrated.

“You just don’t get it.”

“Then make me understand!” The other girl was clearly losing her patience.

“I’m CEO and owner of a multi-million dollar company, I don’t have time for love or a relationship.” She said.

“Is that you talking or your mother?”

“Me. So please leave.” She forced out the words, breaking out her own heart in the process.

Let me ask you this, What’s worse? Not getting everything you wished for… or getting it and finding out it wasn’t enough?