6 Years, 3 Months, Two Days

This Town

A/N: Sooo here I am with a new story, I was re-watching One Tree Hill ad hence this fic was born, if there are any similarties with the show that's why.  Hope ya'll enjoy this dramatic Chaennie story!.

-------------

Sometimes, it feels like it was yesterday... Graduating high school, saying goodbye. That feeling that you get at 17 or 18 that nobody in the history of this world has ever been this close, has ever loved this fiercely or laughed as hard or cared as much….

“Okay we are not going to do this, we are not going to be sad and we are not going to cry. We’ll be friends after graduation, ride or die remember?” An 18 year old Jisoo said, their group was sitting by the edges of a bridge, it was meeting spot of some sort for the locals, every day you could see people hanging out here, sometimes having a drink, other times musicians were here putting on a show, this time high school kids were reunited here the night of their graduation, the night before everyone would start the new chapter of their lives.

“Ride or die.” Jennie said she extended one of her arms in order to fist pump Jisoo. She then turned her head slightly to her right to and squeezed her girlfriend's hand which was resting on her belly, what with the girl sitting behind her with Jennie in between her legs. “What about you Rosie?” 

The girl in question held her tighter with a smile “We gotta promise, four years from now, not matter where we are, we will meet right here, ride or die.” She said extending her arm to fist pump the other girls.

Rosé knew no matter what happened the three of them would always be friends and that when the time came they’d be back here still friends and maybe a little more.

Six years later…

“Ride or die.” Rosé mumbled, standing by the bridge all by herself. Looking around she saw a bunch of unfamiliar faces, she shook her head sighing as she walked away.

Sometimes, it feels like yesterday, and sometimes it feels like somebody else’s memory.

----------------------------------

[NEW YORK, NEW YORK, Three days ago]

Six years ago each girl went their differents ways, one wanted to write, the other wanted to do music and another one, this girl being Jisoo, wanted to work on the fashion industry.

The studio could look intimidating for someone with no experience, specially when the brand was working on a new line,  phones ringing, designers going crazy, photographers dealing with models, it could be a bit chaotic. But for Jisoo it was daily her routine. You see Jisoo started modelling when she was 18, she went to college for fashion and ended up giving up after a year when her modelling career took off. 

She was one of the best known models in the world, with exclusive deals from the most luxurious brands. But a year ago she changed from model to fashion designer, that’s right she started her own brand and slowly but surely it grew to being one of the highest most selling brands in the world, not bad for someone who graduated high school four years ago.

“Book me a table at Prime Grill, tell them to get me one by the balcony.” She told her assistant, who was walking quickly behind her. “Any day next week is fine.” She continued looking at her phone.

“You are booked all next week.”

“Then the week after.” She looked up from her phone stopping by one of her designers tables and analyzed the dress, on the mannequin. “Make this part like an inch thicker and it’ll be perfect.” She pointed at the waistline of the dress and with a quick nod and a smile she kept walking towards her office.

“Here’s your latte.” Her assistant placed the cup on the desk.

“Is there foam in this?”  She took the cup, looking at it. “Last time there was no foam and I like foam.”

“Extra foam.” 

“You are the best.” She said with a smile, finally taking a zip of the drink.  “So the premiere when is it?”

“Today, 8:00 p.m. red carpet at 6:00” Her assistant answered getting her ipad out.

“Alright get me the latest boy band heartthrob as a date or whoever male model is available.” She said disinterested. “Now show me those magazine drafts.” 

-------------------------------------

[LA, CALIFORNIA, Three days ago]

Jennie had been wanting to work in the music industry since she could remember. She went to college for it, interned during her college years, made her way up from delivering coffee to being a successful up and coming producer. She even lend her voice for back ups or demos to her fellow song writers.

She has been working at Interscope records for two years, and it was great, don’t get her wrong, but the thing is that it wasn’t what she pictured, she wanted to discover new talent, she wanted to be able to give artists a voice to express themselves, she wanted to give them a medium in which they could share their talent. But she couldn’t do that, the talent she was working with was generic, they all sounded the same, because the label wanted them to sound the same, wanted them to sound like whatever the trend was and she didn’t want that. There was nothing genuine in doing that.

It was a routine she was tired off…

“Let’s sing the bridge like 4 or 5 five times more, see if we get what we want in one of those.” 

Jennie released the speaker button on the console and turned her chair around to look at the ceiling. “God I’m so tired of this .” She said.

“You okay there?” Her co-producer asked.

“I’m just tired of working on the same damn type of songs each and every day.” She closed her eyes and looked at the ceiling. “Where did creative freedom went? What’s wrong with experimenting?” 

“Well, label wants it this way, you don’t...maybe you should create your own label.”

“Maybe I should.” 

---------------------------------------


[RIVERFALL, NC, Three days ago]

A tall girl, the same age as Rosé was in the middle of a basketball court in her old high school, her moved fluid and on time with the music tempo, the song was building up to its chorus when the girl stops, her hands on her waist and ever once in a while doing a move or two, by the time the chorus was over and the new verse started the girl once again started moving fluidly, before once again stopping.

She walked towards the bench and picked up the remote control next to her bag to stop the music.

“Is that the new routine?”  A voice called out interrupting her thoughts.

“Yes...but I can’t seem to connect the beginning and the end, hence the new routine is unfinished.”  The girl answered somewhat frustrated looking at the blonde girl who just walked in.

“Unfinished huh?” The other girl said. “I get that.”

“I take it the writing isn’t going too well?” The dancer took her water bottle out and took a zip while the other girl answered.

“The writing is not going at all.” The blonde sighed. “This writer's block is killing me, I can’t seem to write anything, at this point Hyeri’s artist will have to start writing her own music if she wants her album released.” She sat down on the bench looking down. 

“Chaeyoungie, she can always get songs from someone else it’s not the end of the world.” 

“That girl has worked hard to get this chance, Lisa. She at least deserves newer, better songs.” 

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out, Chipmunk.” Her friend said, sitting next to the girl. Looking up and around the gym she kept looking at the championship banners on the ceiling.  “Ya know… when we were asked to fix this mess five months ago what were we thinking? Riverfalls High hasn’t won anything dancing related in six years, it’s like you guys took all the luck when you graduated.” 

“We were both bored, I think.” The blonde said jokingly. Maybe for her it was something a little more than just boredom. 

“Well that boredom got us into trouble.” 

“We’ll figure it out, Lisa. We have to.” 

---------------------------------------

[PARIS, FRANCE, Three days ago]

Jisoo usually skipped the movies on all the premieres, but not this time, this time she ended up watching a ridiculous movie about long lost love because her date actually wanted to watch. The movie was horrible even if her date thought otherwise.

She stared in front of her watching as her date went on and on about himself and his accomplishment, name dropping every famous person she knows. And she couldn’t help but feel that all too familiar feeling of loneliness creeping in…

Two years ago 

“... And that’s how a valet crashed my ty first car and so my friend threaten to sue the venue, guess the story still runs around it’s been years since that happened”  Her date finished with a chuckle, the story was told since the girl was very adamant to take care of her car when they left it at the valet.

Jisoo laughed at the story of her current date, she had a gala that night in which she met a photographer and dancer they hit it off really well and decided to continue their conversation over dinner, the best part it wasn’t anything fancy, they went to a burger joint and they were sharing childhood stories over greasy fries and milkshakes, it has been sometime since Jisoo has felt this carefree. It’s the first time she actually feel listened to, not because they want to be on her good graces but because they genuinely want to listen.

“So now you use your name to frighten them?” Jisoo asked chuckling, taking another bite from her nuggets. It was refreshing being able to hang out with someone in the same circle as her that doesn’t talk about business. She missed having someone to talk nonsense with. 

“I have too, my first ty car was paid by dad’s money cause he refused to let me move here without one.” The girl said. “The car outside is the one I worked hard to pay for.” 

“Really?” Jisoo asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I work really hard for what I want.” The girl answered with a smirk. 

And work hard she did.

Jisoo snaps out of her thoughts not wanting to deal with the unresolved feelings that come with that memory,  and turns back to her date smiling and laughing fakingly. Just another routine night for her. 

--------------------------------------------

[LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, Three days ago]

“So what do you think?” Her boss asks inviting himself into her small office.

“I think she .” She answered honestly, because it was the truth the new signed act . “Her song blows, and from what I’ve seen the rest of her repertoire does too, why did you sign her?” She leaned forward on her desk playing with her necklace.

“Where are you from, Jennie?” The man asked sitting down in front of her.

“Korea, but I moved to Riverfall when I was thirteen.” She responded. 

“And why did come to LA? Why pursue music?”  

“Because I wanted to discover and sign bands that could change someone's life…” She started but only got interrupted by her boss.

“I used to be like you when I first started working here. But over time you realize it’s called showbusiness for a reason, we are here to make money, even when the product , rock and roll can’t actually save the world.”  He said coldly, making Jennie frown.

“I’m sorry sir, but with all due respect, I disagree, music speaks what cannot be expressed, it’s a safe kind of high.” She spoke passionately. “You can look at a lost kids eyes and you’ll see they are looking for something to believe in. I think music can be the thing that changes their life.” It’s what changed Jennie’s, it’s the escape she had always gone to whenever everything becomes too much. 

“This is why you haven’t gone further up the ladder quicker, Jennie. You are smart and you are talented but the quicker you realize we are here to make money the better for the you and your future. You have to start playing the game.” He said standing up and adjusting his blazer.

Six years ago

"Holy !" 

"What? What's wrong?" Chaeyoung asks, worried, sitting up from where she was resting on Jennie's lap almost falling asleep as her hands caressed her hair softly.

"Babe, I got it!" her girlfriend exclaimed with a big smile. "The intership in LA, I got it!" She lowered her phone and turned to look at Chaeyoung with the birightest smile.

The taller brunette responded with a big smile on her own. "Baby! Oh my God!" She says reading the e-mail with her own eyes. "You are going to be a producer!"  SHe says laughing pulling her girl closer and filling her face with kisses. 

"Yeah?" She pulls away but stays within touching distance with Chaeyoung, remaining in her arms. "You think I can make it?"

"Oh baby, you have everything to make it." She says. "You have talent." She gives her a kiss on the cheek. "Passion." Kiss. "Integrity." Kiss "I believe in you."

Present day.

“Well I’m not interested in playing the game.”  She said seriously. "If you seriously think no one can find romance or hope when another individual picks up an instrument, then that's your problem."

"You say you are not interested, yet you already are, Jennie. Why are you still here if you are not playing?"

-----------------------------------------

[RIVERFALL, NC, Three days ago]

Rose sits by her piano, an open notebook near her and a glass of wine sits next to her pencil, she plays around with some notes and attempts to come up with a melody and hopefully some lyrics. 

“And I remember everything…” She starts singing. “From when we were the… lovers?... couple?… children?” She releases a heavy sigh and slams her hands on the piano keys angrily as she tears a page from her notebook and tosses it like she had done to  another 5 pages. 

“I .” She sighs again, the sound of her phone ringing a welcomed interruption… up until she sees who’s calling her. Breathing in deeply, she answers. 

“Hell…”

“Tell me you are writing the best songs of you life?”  The woman on the other side of the line greets. 

“..o” 

“Sorry…” The other person apologizes. “Hello.”

“Hey.”  She says smiling.

“Sooo… the songs?” 

“I...um... “

“If it’s not the best then at least a few okay songs… anything I can show to my artist and my boss?” Her producer asks. “Aren’t you the one that says that music expresses what words can’t? Do you have nothing to express?” 

“I wrote a few words…” She started, reaching down to take one of the discarded pages on the floor and crumbles it. 

“That’s good.” Hyeri says approvingly. 

“But then I scrapped them because they .” She admitted closing her eyes preparing for the speech she was about to get but was actually semi-prepared to avoid.

“Chae, this is serious my is on the line here. You can’t be a songwriter if there are no songs and I can’t be a producer if my artist has nothing to record…”

“Say.. Hyeri..are you...c..ting...off” She starts crumbling the piece of paper next to the speaker and cutting her words accordingly.

“Roseanne Park don’t you dare hang up on me!”

“..Can’t…ear...you...bye!”  She hangs up and silences her phone placing it face down on her desk. Sighing she goes back to her place at the piano and deflated on the seat, practically giving up on the spot. No more song writing tonight. 

----------------------------------------------

[NEW YORK, Two days ago]

By the next morning Jisoo was finishing up an interview via phone on her apartment, she was playing around with the remaining of her breakfast  while answering questions.

“So Jisoo, tell me do you ever miss your normal life?”

“Sooya Enterprises is what I’ve always wanted, it’s my dream come true.” She responds automatically, almost like a rehearsed answer. “How can I complain about that?” 

“Correct, but don’t you ever miss being a normal 24 year old girl having fun with friends?”

Jisoo sighed and looked around her apartment, the New York skyline a view that greeted her every morning, her apartment wasn’t necessarily homie, she didn’t spend much time there, she looks at her favorite picture, hanging up on the living room wall, it was a picture of her, Jennie, and Rosé laughing after Jennie said something funny before the picture…

“Sure, I miss it...”

-----------------------------------------

[LOS ANGELES, Two days ago]

Jennie was on her way back home from the gym when she passed by a kiosk and saw a magazine cover with Jisoo in it,  she also saw a songwriting magazine with Rosé on the cover, calling her title read and up close and personal with the aussie writer. The brunette’s hand automatically grabbed her necklace as she bit her lip, a longing look appearing on her eyes, with a nod she makes her decision as she takes both magazines and continues her way home.

When she gets home she leaves her bag by the door and takes both magazines on her hand, she walks to a shelf on her living room and places Jisoo’s magazine on it, with a proud smile, her best friend did what she always said she would do… she didn’t expect anything less from her and boy is she proud of her. 

As for other magazine she takes it and her hand softly graces the cover where Rosé’s name is, with a small smile she takes the magazine and places is on the living room table and grabs her necklace once again while she tells Alexa to play the podcast Rosé was interviewed on.  A longing smile shows on her face after hearing her favorite voice…

“I’ve alway thought that music is a safe kind of high, you can listen to a song or a melody and immediately get hooked in it, sometimes lyrics aren’t even necessary the melody is enough for you to make a connection with a feeling, other times is not even a complete song but just a verse or a sentence of the song that makes you feel...at the end of the day music speaks…”

“What words can’t.” Jennie says at the same time as the recording. Breathing deeply she takes her phone a makes a call…

“Hey…” She greets when the other person answers. “I know it’s late but I… what happened to us? When did we become so lost? I don’t know who I am anymore, or how I got here...I miss who I use to be, I want to have a home again you know? I miss that, I miss you… I guess I just miss all of it.”

“I get it, Jen. Six years ago it all seemed so clear, didn’t it? Conquer the world, save the world, be happy…”

“Are you happy?” She asks, biting her lip.

“Sometimes, but not always. You?”

Jennie sighs. “No.”

“Then let me ask you something, What is going to make you happy, Jennie? Is it your work? Impressing your boss? Forcing yourself to like your current life? Where are you going to find that happiness, Jennie?”

“I think I need to go back home.”

“Then let’s go home, Jennie.”

-------------------------------

[RIVERFALL NC. Present Day]

There are habits that are hard to break, no matter how much time passes, for Rosé that habit it’s going to bridge on the same day every year like she has done for the past six years. Maybe is melancholy, maybe it’s because deep down she hasn’t moved on, maybe it’s because she wants to hold on to the memories of happier, simplest times.

Whatever her reason is, Chaeyoung comes to this bridge like clockwork, sometimes she brings her notebook and either fills it out with a song or sometimes just doodles, other times she brings a book and sits there quietly reading while drinking some coffee, the bridge is usually empty what with the teens still being is school and the rest of the people working only a handful of people are usually there when she comes. 

This time what or rather who greets her is someone she wasn’t expecting…

“Jennie?” She asks, unsure.

The brunette hears her voice and turns around, they look at each other for a few seconds, Jennie looks at her with small smile, her hand on her necklace, while Rosé looks at her unsure… guarded, hands on her pockets.

“Rosie…” She says. “You died your hair.” She points at her own head while saying that. 

“I did.”

‘You look beautiful.’ Is what she wanted to say. “How long has it been?” She says instead, knowing she doesn’t really have a right to say anything else.

“Two years.”  She says simply.

Jennie sighs. “It’s been longer than that. God, Rosie I missed you.” She takes a steps closer to hug her but the other girls takes a step back shaking her head, and Jennie can’t help the frown on her face nor the pain that goes through her already heavy heart.

“Don’t…” Chaeyoung shakes her head, taking a couple steps backwards. “Why are you here?” 

“I needed to… LA...it wasn’t what I expected. I… missed my family, I missed home, I missed you.” She says, looking at her trying to convey her feelings through her words.

“You...”  The blonde sighs. “I have someone. I’m with someone.”

And Jennie gets stuck in place after that...

“You should’ve stayed in LA.”