Chapter 11

Peek-a-boo

The room is small, stuffy, and is only lit by a dim lightbulb. Jennie is not bound by anything but has given up looking for a way out after hours of trying. She's hunched down to a corner, biting her nails and bombarding her brain for a solution. She hears voices from below, her heart starts to raise and she can feel it pounding in her chest, it intensifies as the volume rises.

Seeing a piece of lumber, Jennie picks it up and braces herself incase someone comes in.

The door opens and as soon as a head pops in, Jennie hits it with all her might. Yeri falls face down on the floor. Jennie point the piece of wood to a woman with dark chocolate hair and eyes piercing her soul.

"Don't come any closer." Jennie said and walks out of the door frame and into the hallway, never taking her eyes off her.

The woman keeps a straight face. "Oh no. I'm scared. Please help me." Irene said in a monotone voice, unimpressed at Jennie's little stunt.

Jennie knots her brows in confusion. Her whole body jerks when she heard a high pitched laugh from the fallen Yeri.

The young girl sits up as if she wasn't attacked earlier. "Unnie, that's terrible acting."

What the ?

Jennie didn't stick around to find out what exactly happened. She runs as fast as her feet can, she looks back to see the two girls just gazing at her and not chasing her.

Turning in a corner, Jennie jolts to a stop when she got a glimpse of a tall curvy girl staring out a window. A flashback of memory plays in her mind, the woman by the window is the same one she saw walking out of Domino's. Putting her back against the wall, Jennie moves cautiously to the nearest door and hides inside.

It's dark with only the moonlight seeping through the window. Jennie didn't scan the room, too occupied as her ear pressed against the door, waiting for any movement from outside. 

"You come here often?" A low voice came from behind Jennie that made her jump and turn to the direction of the voice.

She squints, her eyes slowly adjusting to the dark, a figure sits on a chair in the middle of the small room. The figure stands and approaches her. Jennie can only hear the beat of her heart. She shakily points the lumber to the woman.

"Don't you dare." Jennie threatens the girl who only smirks. Her long blonde hair falls to her back. "Wait... You're the one I saw leaving the bookstore." Jennie exclaims.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to realize. I'm Wendy, Nice to meet you."

Jennie scans the room and notices the piles of pizza boxes all around them. "What the ?" She whispers.

"You like them? It's kind of a collection."

Jennie's eyes widened in realization. "What did you do to all of those delivery boys?"

"You're so quick to catch up, or to judge."

Wendy closes in and Jennie slams her weapon directly at the predator's head. But aside from turning her face to the side, Wendy doesn't seem to be affected at all.

With a low, almost demonic voice, she said, "You better run, sweetheart." Lifting her head to look at Jennie, her eyes glowed red for a split second.

The shocked prey pushed the predator with all her might, but only making her take one step back. Jennie opens the door with her shaky hand and ran out the hallway, not caring if someone was there a few minutes ago.

Jennie stopped dead in her tracks when instead of the familiar woman from earlier, another face appears a few feet from Jennie, blocking the way to the stairs. 

"Have you heard of the phrase 'Curiosity killed the cat'?" The woman's monolid eyes adore the dagger in her hand.

Jennie feels like she already saw her somewhere. But her mind blocks pieces of memory as the adrenaline rushes in her bloodstream. For the third time tonight, she threatens another person with the piece of wood she has.

"You're one hell of a curious girl." Seulgi attacks her but Jennie deflects the dagger with her weapon and pushes her down the stairs. Seulgi tumbles down and stays lifeless at the bottom.

"Peek-a-boo." Joy said in a sing-song which made Jennie spun around so suddenly that she felt dizzy after it.

Jennie's heart continues to pound and a knot tightening in her stomach. Beads of sweat decorates her forehead like sparkling diamonds. She could run down the stairs and hope that Seulgi won't wake up. But a question bombards her mind and she realizes that she is a cat and her curiosity will kill her. But she had to ask, "Where's Jisoo?"

Joy puts her finger on her chin and looks up as if she's thinking. "Black hair, heart-shaped lips, beautiful face kind of girl?"

Anger replaced Jennie's anxiety. Her mind heats and her grip tightens around her weapon. "Exactly."

Joy looks at her in the eyes and smiles, "Sorry, don't know her."

An annoying sound tears through the air, the ringing of the telephone. Joy puts a finger up signalling Jennie to be quiet as she lifts the handset from the receiver.

"Hello? Yes Jonathan. Please deliver the Pizza at---" Joy was cut off when Jennie began smashing the telephone, leaving it too broken to use.

"You're going to regret that." Joy's voice turned into something like Wendy's and her eyes also flashed ruby red.

Joy crushed the handset with one hand and lets it fall to the ground. Jennie was left on shocked with the display of strength. The tall girl grabs the lumber from Jennie and tosses it down the stairs. She then charges, scratching Jennie's face who moves backward but the railings stopped.

"Trapped now, are we?" Joy lunges forward.

Jennie ducks to avoid the attack leading Joy to spring forward over the railings and fall down to the first floor. Jennie looks down at another lifeless body. She glances at where Seulgi fell but the girl was nowhere to be found. She looks at Joy again, but same with Seulgi, the body is missing. Jennie could have sworn that it only happened a few seconds ago.

With nowhere to go but down the steps, Jennie proceeds with caution. Her feet light and her eyes frantically searching the premises. Her heart slowing down a bit after her last encounter. But recovery seems impossible as she ends up in a room full of uniforms of various pizza shops encased in glass. Tears attempt to escape her eyes, covering to stop any sound from escaping. 

"Come out, come out wherever you are." A velvety voice calls out.

Jennie ducks in one of the glass cases, pearing at one side to see the woman whom Yeri called 'unnie' earlier. She has a beautiful face but her eyes are dangerously cold, it glares from place to place like a snake looking for a prey. 

"You know," the girl said, "I smell blood." Then she turns her head directly at Jennie's direction.

Quickly hiding, Jennie prays that she wasn't seen. The girl approaches with elegance and calm.

"You can't hide forever." With every word grew louder the closer she got.

When only the glass case separates them, Jennie pushed it towards the girl making her lose balance and fall, the glass shattering between them. Jennie swiftly picks up a shard of glass and defends herself.

"Where's Jisoo?!" Jennie demanded.

The girl threw her head back and laughs maniacally. "Is that hers?" She points to one of the many uniforms. Jennie follows her gaze.

A red polo shirt with the Domino's logo catches her eye. Jennie doesn't have to read the name tag to see who it belongs to. The tears that loitered her eyes are pouring out of control. Her chest tightens, making it hard to breath.

"What did you do?" Jennie's vision is blurred by sadness but she still points the shard at the girl, the only thing she can do.

The girl steps in closer, her tiny hand slides over the glass, painting crimson on it as she pushes it gently out of the way. Just inches apart, she whispers. "She screamed so loud at the painful torture. It was music to my ears."