Chapter 14

Peek-a-boo

"Hello? Jennie? Are you still there?"

Lisa's voice as well as Jennie's whole world became a distant sound. The news has her shaken to the core. The revelation that Jonathan, and not the girls in this house, killed Jisoo. The confirmation of Jisoo's death. It all makes her heart sink to a bottomless pit.

It's getting hard to gulp down when has a massive lump forming in. Her eyes well up and she starts to sob uncontrollably. She covers in attempt to mask the sound.

'But why is Jisoo's uniform here?' she thought.

Jennie realized that despite the strength each of the girl possessed, it was easy to outrun them. Even the last girl didn't run after her when she escaped.

'Easy to outrun or they let me escape?' another thought came to Jennie.

She's now hiding in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, a terrible place to digest all the information. Jennie broke her trance when her phone buzzed in her hand.

It's a document Lisa sent her about Irene's case. Jennie reads the awful reports even though her eyes are blurred from crying. She gasped when she saw the pictures of the victims; Joy, Wendy, Seulgi, Yeri, and Irene. The grotesque way that they were murdered.

The cabinet door open, Joy drags Jennie by the hair all the way to the living room where the four other girls are waiting.

"She sabotage the delivery tonight." Joy crosses her arms in front of her.

Jennie looks at them at a new perspective. "What did he do to you?" One by one she looks at their faces, stopping at one in particular. "You're Irene, right?" Irene smirks but it quickly fades when Jennie spoke again. "He... he tortured you."

"You're in no place to show sympathy." Irene almost barked the words out. "If you want to know how your lover died, we're more than happy to tell you---"

"I know you didn't kill Jisoo!" Jennie shouted, holding her head between her hands.

Irene steps closer with the four other girls behind her. When she's only a breath away from Jennie, she looked her in the eyes and said, "But we did."

Irene holds Jennie's head, forcing her to not look away as visions start to flood her mind. It's as if she's seeing through Irene's eyes. Flashes of the five girls being killed in the house, then the delivery boys they killed, and the night they saw Jisoo.

She was in a dark alley lying almost lifeless by a dumpster. There are a couple of gunshot wounds on her chest, ruby fluid stains her shirt. The view comes closer and a pair of small hands, which Jennie assumed to be Irene's, took hers. With what little energy she has left, Jisoo cries.

"I didn't want to... so he, he..." Jisoo said in a tremulous voice. Irene's hand cups her cheeks and caresses it while hushing the soft sobs. "Kill me please."

The line of vision looks from side to side, scanning the four girls who looks back in concern.

"I know who you are. I can feel my hands getting cold, my heartbeat is barely there. Please end my suffering." Jisoo's breathing are becoming noisy. She pressed something on Irene's palm and nods at her.

Irene clutches the object, putting it in her pocket. With everybody else's approval, Seulgi hands her a silver dagger. Irene cradles Jisoo into her arms, her head resting on the older girl's chest, and whispers, "I will get him." With a swift motion, Irene stabs Jisoo and all resistance gives in. The injured girl is now lifeless in her arms.

Reality pulls Jennie back when Irene withdrew her hands. Overwhelming emotions leaves her speechless. Irene hands over two rings to the visitor, each one has 'JJ4EVA' engraved on it.

"I know you know what those are." Irene said.

"Why did you lie about Jisoo's death and why did you tell me you tortured her." Jennie asked in a resigned voice.

"It was the easiest way to get you out of our hair. You were getting too involved and it was a way to shut you up." Yeri said.

"We displayed Jisoo's uniform as a reminder of my promise. Jonathan Reid was supposed to be the sacrifice for tonight, but you interfered." Irene said.

"We're supposed to sacrifice five very bad people to Chuang-Mu so we can come back every leap year. And because you sabotage the delivery earlier, when the clock strikes 12 and we are empty handed, this will be our last and Jisoo's murder won't get justice." Wendy explained.

"I can tell him to the police. Lisa has the CCTV footage!"

Joy laughs mockingly, "Do you really think those bastards are on your side? The who killed your girlfriend is the son of the richest family in town. They covered it up! Those police are corrupted and will do anything for money. That's why the video was never released."

"That's why our murder was ignored." Seulgi maintains a straight face.

"The Mayor did a news blackout, the town's reputation will be tainted, he said. But our killer was the Mayor himself." The disdain is evident in Yeri's face.

"That sick psycho haunted the streets until we served his punishment in 1975." Joy's face turned sour.

"You see, justice can be bought. But that's why we're here. Chuang-Mu heard our vengeful spirits and let us purge this place." Seulgi said.

"If it was up to me, I'll kill you so we can come back for our unfinished business with Jonathan. But you don't have someone's blood on your hands, making you not fit for a candidate." Joy whispers, her breath tickling Jennie's ear.

All six of them turn to the front door when it suddenly opened. "Take me." Lisa stands in the door frame, eyes full of determination.

"No!" Jennie protested.

"We only have 3 minutes before midnight." Lisa shouts, her eyes burn with the tears she keeps at bay. "Take me."

"But you didn't do anything wrong! They can't take you!" In contrast to Lisa, Jennie didn't try to keep her tears anymore, they flow freely down her cheeks.

Upon seeing this, Lisa gave in and cries herself. She puts her head down and said, "I killed Rosé." Her voice cracks.

Confusion replaced the emotion in Jennie's face. "What? But Rosé is alive. I just saw her the other day."

"Rosé is dead, Jennie. She has been for 3 years now." Guilt and lost paints the color of Lisa's eyes. Jennie shakes her head as if the fact would vanish if she did so. "After Jisoo's death, you were depressed and Rosé was the one you rely on the most. I also have demons, Jennie. I blame myself for Jisoo's disappearance. I became an alcoholic. One night, Rosé came to pick me up from a bar. I insisted on driving. I was so drunk." She pauses and collects herself. "She took off her seatbelt and insisted on taking the wheel. The next thing I remember was a flash of light and Rosé's dead body in my upturned car. We were hit by a truck. Or was it that I hit the truck. I tried to live with the unbearable guilt. I tried to go on for you. I owe it to Jisoo and Rosé to be a better person to take care of you. But my demons always creep in."

"But you can't do this." Jennie approaches her friend but stopped when Lisa raised her hand.

"It was too much for you, the deaths. You started telling me that you were hanging out with Rosé. I took you to a psychiatrist, you were diagnosed with Dissociative Disorder. You took pills, the symptoms got milder but never really went away."

"What? No." Jennie's head throbs with the attempt to review her memories and convince herself that Rosé is still alive. She can't handle the knowledge of two losses in one night.

"Please let me do this for you, for Rosé and for Jisoo. I can't live with the nightmares anymore." Lisa begs. "My angels left and only demons remain here." She points to her head.

"Please, Lisa. I can't lose you too." Jennie got on her knees. The thought of losing all three of them is unbearable.

"I know they're right, the police is a ed up corrupted scene and we have to make Jonathan pay." Lisa takes in a deep breath and looks at Irene. "I killed Rosé and I lead Jisoo to her death. Take me."

Irene pursed her lips into a tight line and nods. Seulgi hands her over an axe as the sound of the clock eminates through the house, signaling the arrival of midnight.

"NO!" A deafening scream erupts from Jennie, she started to run towards Lisa but was held down by Joy. The last thing she saw was Lisa looking straight into her eyes, smiling as tears stream down her face, Irene swinging the axe on her friend. Before the weapon lands on flesh, Joy covered her eyes, saving her from an additional nightmare.

What kept Jennie bewildered was the undeniable peace in Lisa's eyes.