Chapter 5

Peek-a-boo

"Sorry I'm late." Rosé struts to the booth in their favorite diner.

As usual, not much people are out. Less than half to the diner is occupied. They all love to eat there, even when Jisoo was still alive. The ambiance is so nostalgic with the checker tiles, jukebox, colored lights and retro vintage displays that seemed like they were used in Elvis Presley's era.

"Where's Lisa?" Jennie asked as she scoots over to give Rosé space to sit. 

"She's going to be a bit late."

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Someone filed a missing person the last minute." Lisa sits next to Rosé.

They have gone a long way, from students to professionals. Jennie's working at a clothing line as a designer, Lisa who always breaks the rule is now a police officer, and Rosé became a preschool teacher.

It's uncommon to have missing person in Priwen, anything out of the ordinary is news to this town. The place is small, everyone knows everyone. Everyday is a routine and almost everything is predictable. It's safe as it is quiet. The last missing person case was Jisoo.

"The uniform doesn't suit you." Jennie said when she saw Lisa still in uniform. Her blonde hair in a neat bun and face almost deprived of make up. 

"You say that everytime you see me in this since the day I joined the force." Lisa doesn't seem to mind. 

"So, there's another missing person?" Jennie asked.

"David from the café. You know what they say about Priwen, leap year is the season for abduction." Lisa said.

"What? I didn't know that. Where did you hear that?"

"Relax, that was a joke. Granny said it, you know how she is and her tales of mystery."

"But it is true," Fred, the owner of the diner said as he comes in with their order. "You live here long enough to notice some during leap year. So you girls better look out." 

"We will. Thank you." Jennie said and Rosé gave him a sweet smile.

After the dinner, Jennie decides to walk along the neighborhood. A new stranger comes out of the town's bookstore, she's smaller than Jennie with long blonde hair and bangs. Maybe it's just her imagination, but she swore that the stranger was staring at her when she passed by. Jennie shrugs it off and continues to walk home.