Chapter 8

Peek-a-boo

SEULGI


Out in the courtyard, the sky is a dark shade of blue for the sun had just set. The chilly air starts to creep in like someone had put an ice in front of a fan. Everything seems to be peaceful aside from the next victim sitting on a couch in the middle of the backyard.

His curly blonde hair tossed all over like a messy bird's nest. He's not restrained in any way but the sight of Seulgi makes him freeze in place, never taking his eyes off of the girl.

Aside from the stoic expression on Seulgi's face, the dagger in her hand makes the guy quiver more. After a few moments of watching each other's movements, Seulgi speaks, "Let's play a game."

The guy nods... as if he had any choice.

"I'm going to throw 10 daggers at you and your goal is to not flinch." Without missing a beat, Seulgi throws a dagger at the man's direction.

He jumps at the sudden action, the dagger scratching his cheek as it passed by. His eyes are wide and his hand immediately nurses the injury. Scrambling to his feet, he runs away toward the front lawn.

Instead of chasing after him, Seulgi just clicks her tongue and shakes her head slowly. She walks nonchalantly in the house, Yeri who is in the living room shares a knowing look with Seulgi. The younger girl picks up her crossbow and walks outside to the front porch with Seulgi following close behind. Stopping when they got a view of the escaping victim, Yeri aims like many times before.

Breath.

Snap!

An agonizing scream tears through the air followed by cries of help from the man. The arrow went through his leg and blood oozes out. He's lying on his side and cradles the injured limb in his arms. Sweat litters his body, veins popping out of his temples, and his face turning red.

Seulgi approaches him without any sign of urgency. "No one will hear you out here."

"Please. Let me go. I won't tell anyone." He begs.

Seulgi crouches beside him. "How does it feel? To be hopeless. To be hunted."

"You're a monster!"

"And so are you."

With only one hand clutching the injured leg, she drags him back into the backyard. The screams of terror a form of music to her ears.

Back to where they started, with him sitting on the couch and Seulgi standing a few feet away, she continues. "You flinched." She throws another dagger that lands on his shoulder. A couple more followed that pierced his body with the last one embedding in between his eyes, taking his breath of life.