Chapter 12

Peek-a-boo

Lisa wakes up to the annoying ring of her phone. "Hello?" She picks it up as a sharp pain radiates from her temple.

"Hey check your laptop, . The file's already hacked."

"Jeongyeon?" Lisa sits up from the couch, seems like she fell asleep there.

"Do you have any other hacker friend?"

"No." Lisa lazyly answered. The screen of her laptop lights up and she's shocked to see that it's already 11pm. "Did I sleep the whole day?!"

"You just realized that?!" Jeongyeon screams from the other line. "I even went to your apartment because you won't answer my calls, but you weren't there."

"I'm not?" Lisa looks around to see where she is, in Jennie's apartment. Last night they were researching and someone was at the door, then--

"Lisa, are you okay?"

"Yeah yeah. I'll check these out. Thank you, Jeongyeon."

"You owe me. Bye."

Lisa looks at the files still confused about what happened last night.

The News Clipping reads:

TERRIBLE TIME FOR PRIWEN

Five young ladies are assaulted and murdered in Red Velvet Street on Feb. 29, 1971. The victims are: Joy Park, Wendy Son, Seulgi Kang, Yeri Kim, and Irene Bae. The disappearances started on the 25th of the same month. The girls were found on the living room of an old house, all of them wearing uniform red dresses. Police are still trying to piece the little evidence they have and will give an official statement when a suspect is confirmed.

Red Velvet Street, the same address all of the delivery boys go to before going missing. Lisa moves on the autopsy records.

Joy Park: has a mark along her eyes and temples suggesting that the victim was harshly blindfolded. Suffered from multiple bruises around the body and a blow to the head. But the marks on her neck and broken larynx suggests that the cause of death is by strangulation.

Wendy Son: has wound on the side of the head. And additional bruises on her limbs. Crystal ornaments are found in her stomach and throat. Cause of death is from choking on the objects leading to airway obstruction.

Seulgi Kang: hands are bound behind her back. Broken tibia and fibula, most probably fractured during an attempted escape. Her blood were found on the backyard lawn along wind disturbed soil and plants, suggesting that there was resistance when she was caught escaping. Multiple stab wounds, 25 total, around the body. Cause of death is a dagger pierced between her eyes, damaging frontal part of the brain.

Yeri Kim: multiple cigarette burns along both arms. Thirteen (13) knife lacerations all over the body. An arrow pierced her abdominal area. Neck is slit and left to bleed to death.

Irene Bae: face has 5 laceration wounds making it hard for facial recognition but dental records confirmed the identity. Skin is abnormally cherry-red. Clothes are torn and self-defense wounds are evident on her arms. It is suggested that the killer tried to ually assault her but failed for Miss Bae put up a fight. Cause of death is acute cyanide poisoning.

Notes: All girls suffered prolonged torture and all injuries were inflicted while victims were alive.

"What the ." Lisa covers as she scans through detailed photographs of the gruesome murders.

Police Report:

1971: fingerprint of the suspect is not registered in the police files. No witnesses can be found. Lack of evidence hinders the operation but investigations are still ongoing. Suspect is estimated to be between 27-35 years old. Newspapers containing the event are confiscated. Chief of Police Ashton and Mayor Young ordered a news blackout about the matter.

1981: the case is not moving forward and no new leads are found. Statue of Limitation expires, therefore putting the case to a close.

"If the killer is still alive, he would've been at least 75 years old. Can he still be responsible for the disappearances or do we have a copycat?"

She realizes that Jeongyeon hacked 2 files, and the other one is from Jisoo's file.

"What is this? I thought I know everything about Jisoo's case."

Nothing could have prepared her for what she is about to uncover. A CCTV footage plays along a small corner, the label reads 'Mahogany Street'. A delivery girl was pushed by the dumpster. Lisa's heart raises and her eyes recognises the familiar movements and body structure, a figure she'll recognise even miles away, Jisoo. The man continues to beat Jisoo. It's hard for Lisa to watch the possible last moments of her dear friend. An invisible lump starts to form in Lisa's throat, she drinks water in attempt to control her tears.

After minutes of what seemed like forever, Jisoo slumps her back against the wall, the man withdraws a gun and shoots Jisoo. This time, Lisa shuts her eyes. She knows the image will forever haunt her mind just like how she blamed herself for years when Jisoo disappeared. Her friend covered for her shift, she should've been the one missing. Or in this case, she should've been the one in the CCTV footage and not Jisoo.

When Lisa gathered the courage to watch again, Jisoo was lying on the floor. At this point, tears already flood Lisa's eyes and she's choking back sobs. The man scans the area and failed to notice the CCTV camera. Lisa recognises the man as Jonathan Reid, son of the wealthiest family in Priwen and one of the last people who saw Jisoo. He pockets his gun takes Jisoo's phone and runs away.

"Son of a . So you're the one who sent the text." Lisa muttered.

The same annoying ringtone makes Lisa jump in her place.

"Hello?" Lisa answered. Jennie's panicking voice invades her ear. "Jennie, slow down, I can't understand you."

"I'm in a house, I don't know where. There are girls here, they're the ones that killed Jisoo." Jennie sobs from the other line.

"What? Girls? No. Jennie, listen. I know this will be too much for you but, Jonathan killed Jisoo."